WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Used Nordic Heat. Need input!

Wannagofast

Reaction score
Looking at a used Nordic Heat. This boat has every imaginable upgrade and Extremely well cared for. (Could eat off the bilge area) with a Bristol condition survey. It would be a no brainer for me except for one big item. It has a Whippled 496 ho.

Has 100 hrs on rebuild. The motor was pulled and rebuilt with all forged internals and has full receipts so appears to be done fully correct. It passes leak down and compression tests. Out drives have upper XR and lower Imco scx

The owner has literally spent over 100k on the rebuild, custom trailer and other upgrades in 2018. I’ve been looking at building a new Heat with a 600 sci but can’t justify the cost new. Trying to decide on this or keep looking.

I’d be ok repowering to better power a few yrs down the road (Still money ahead on brand new)but worry about this blowing up before then. I’d like to get 2-3 years out of it to save my pennies. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
This one is just the 496 ho. I know the blues are reliable. I just worry about the whipple on the 496. The rest of the boat is cherry. Any experience with blown 496’s?

Thats literally gonna come down to who did the rebuild. 496s are good motors when cared for and it sounds like the stuff that you would be wanting to watch for on a 496 has already been upgraded/switched out to aftermarket components.

If it were me, I would try and find out who the builder was and get the build sheet, I would also want to know what if any of the stock fuel system was still remaining and might make a few changes if any of it was.

Don't let the word "496" scare you off. If she was built right, shell be just as reliable as any other blown bbc.

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Solid advice from @Shlbyntro
Set up an evaluation/test ride before any thing else. Might not need a full survey due to Bristol condition and valid records. Too big of an investment if something is amiss after purchase.

The current owner appears to be a picky boater so getting a ride should not be an issue if nothing shady is going on. Remember, it only goes 60 or so when insuring. J/K

Hope everything goes your way, keep us posted!

Wannagofast

Reaction score
Thats literally gonna come down to who did the rebuild. 496s are good motors when cared for and it sounds like the stuff that you would be wanting to watch for on a 496 has already been upgraded/switched out to aftermarket components.

If it were me, I would try and find out who the builder was and get the build sheet, I would also want to know what if any of the stock fuel system was still remaining and might make a few changes if any of it was.

Don't let the word "496" scare you off. If she was built right, shell be just as reliable as any other blown bbc.

Thanks for the feedback. Everything I hear is avoid avoid avoid but the deal on this condition is hard to pass.

I have all receipts on it available and it shows it was built by Bill Delve at Schumaker performance and tuned by Tyler Crockett. I don’t know them but I hear they do a lot of 496 Marine upgrades and also build Indy car motors. Large oil pan with melling high pressure pump.

Survey done says Fuel system is aeromotive with nylon braided lines and crimp lock connections. Imco super fuel valve.

List goes on and on.

Im in love and fits the budget but I’m just worried because EVERYTHING I read says if not stock it’s a ticking time bomb.

Wannagofast

Reaction score
Solid advice from @Shlbyntro
Set up an evaluation/test ride before any thing else. Might not need a full survey due to Bristol condition and valid records. Too big of an investment if something is amiss after purchase.

The current owner appears to be a picky boater so getting a ride should not be an issue if nothing shady is going on. Remember, it only goes 60 or so when insuring. J/K

Hope everything goes your way, keep us posted!

Great advice on the insurance. 😜

This is the motor. Guy is about as picky as I’ve seen on his stuff. I have a test scheduled this week. If it checks out its mine.

DC106FCF-7A03-46B3-B7C5-8FAEEEF43E4A.jpeg

Last edited:

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Possibly some of the inmates may know of the builder, never know.
Nice piece!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I’ve looked at it online, I’d offer him 65-70 without the trailer. That trailer imho is horrible, specially that -13mpg stair case up front. The boat looks beautiful and actually looks like it was someone’s show piece more than use toy.

Wannagofast

Reaction score
I’ve looked at it online, I’d offer him 65-70 without the trailer. That trailer imho is horrible, specially that -13mpg stair case up front. The boat looks beautiful and actually looks like it was someone’s show piece more than use toy.

Agreed. Best part of the trailer is the drive guards and triple axle. I should see what adrenaline wants for a triple for a 28 heat.

Thanks for the input 👍🏻

Wannagofast

Reaction score
***Update*** Just wanted to say thanks to everyone on here for their feedback. We went out to test the boat and look it over in person. Boat is immaculate. Ran compression and leak down tests and numbers were crazy good. Compression was within 3% of each other and everything passed with flying colors. He had all records down to piston clearances, etc etc. We negotiated a very fair price and I’m happy to say that it is ours and headed home this week. Thanks again to all you guys and rdp for all the knowledge. We can’t wait to see you guys out on the water!

Attachments

• FAC16EBD-C28D-4926-8BFE-113A6BDC29C7.png
    FAC16EBD-C28D-4926-8BFE-113A6BDC29C7.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 217

rush1

Reaction score
Looking at a used Nordic Heat. This boat has every imaginable upgrade and Extremely well cared for. (Could eat off the bilge area) with a Bristol condition survey. It would be a no brainer for me except for one big item. It has a Whippled 496 ho.

Has 100 hrs on rebuild. The motor was pulled and rebuilt with all forged internals and has full receipts so appears to be done fully correct. It passes leak down and compression tests. Out drives have upper XR and lower Imco scx

The owner has literally spent over 100k on the rebuild, custom trailer and other upgrades in 2018. I’ve been looking at building a new Heat with a 600 sci but can’t justify the cost new. Trying to decide on this or keep looking.

I’d be ok repowering to better power a few yrs down the road (Still money ahead on brand new)but worry about this blowing up before then. I’d like to get 2-3 years out of it to save my pennies. Thoughts?
I have a friend with a Whipple on his heat ,all forged internals on a 496 he's been running it for 3 years now with zero issues. You're going to love it, buy the boat

Tank

Reaction score
Congrats. That's a really nice looking ride.

FYI Tyler Crockett has a great reputation in the big offshore boat industry. Very well known builder.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Congrats, it's a great looking boat, we bought our Heat about 4 years ago and it's been a great for our family.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I have a Daytona 28 with twin whippled 496's. The builds were done by Keith Scroggins out of New Mexico and the build sheets show all of the good stuff inside. The boat now has about 100 hours of 125 mph top speed operation with no issues on pump gas. I had the same boat with stock 496's and it ran 94 mph, the whipples took everything to a new level.