WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Money/cash

76sanger

Reaction score
Is it time to start sitting on cash? How much percentage wise to leave in the bank?

traquer

Reaction score
I need to get some gold, will probably start with silver coins as they're still relatively cheap. My dad has ordered from Kitco before which is nice as they're in Canada so nobody here knows what's up.

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm gold and cash. With the cash, I keep it in a term deposit at my credit union. Credit unions here give better interest. 2.59% and are 100% insured.

Currently my lease is up end of Feb. Deciding on either buying a house or getting another short term lease. Real estate here is still going up, but condo/townhouse sales are down with rents. The low end of the market usually goes first. So I'll likely get another six month lease. Different house then I'm at.

traquer

Reaction score
Glad I got my gold at 350 a coin.
Kinda rough buying into it now, but its been good for me.

True, but the dollar is worth less as well, so who knows the real value now.

DLC

Reaction score
Right now precious metals like copper and lead connected to shiny brass!

all these metals when connected together have more than doubled in price!
These connected metals come is different sizes
9mm
556x45
762x39
762x51

are some of the more popular sizes

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I'm gold and cash. With the cash, I keep it in a term deposit at my credit union. Credit unions here give better interest. 2.59% and are 100% insured.

Currently my lease is up end of Feb. Deciding on either buying a house or getting another short term lease. Real estate here is still going up, but condo/townhouse sales are down with rents. The low end of the market usually goes first. So I'll likely get another six month lease. Different house then I'm at.

Insured. 🤔 😟

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
True, but the dollar is worth less as well, so who knows the real value now.

One held view is that the price of gold factors in inflation.
Not sure, but its one theory.

nameisbond

Reaction score

They insure the deposits like all banks. But unlike a regular bank, deposits are insured for whatever you had in the account. Regular banks here insure up to $250k, if you have more in the account, its lost if the bank goes under. I see my term deposits as very safe investments.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
One held view is that the price of gold factors in inflation.
Not sure, but its one theory.

Yeah, holding physical gold is generally seen as a way to preserve value, a hedge against inflation 👍

Some things that's aren't sexy, but are solid investment values, would be copper and coal.

Copper is needed for electronics and pretty much anything electrical, and demand will only go up.

Coal is cheap because climate change...but coal isn't just burned for fuel. Its needed for the production of tons of shit, including electronics and carbon fiber (it's where the carbon comes from...coal is carbon)

wash11

Reaction score
Hard to say what's coming, it sure doesn't feel promising though. Our first move was paying debt off. Amy's new Subie, some equipment purchases and some stuff we needed that we just viewed as debt. With no debt other than a small mortgage and a silly low overhead we socked enough cash away to cover about 5 months expenses and it'll just sit there forever or until we need it for emergencies. I wish we were in a position to jump on some of the possible upcoming fire sales but our cash only went so far. I'm just gonna buckle up for the ride and watch you ballers pick up the pieces.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
They insure the deposits like all banks. But unlike a regular bank, deposits are insured for whatever you had in the account. Regular banks here insure up to $250k, if you have more in the account, its lost if the bank goes under. I see my term deposits as very safe investments.

Insurance is ONLY as Good as the Insurer. IMO

Total Trust is very Difficult to Aquire. 🤔

nameisbond

Reaction score
Insurance is ONLY as Good as the Insurer. IMO

Total Trust is very Difficult to Aquire. 🤔

The insurer is the government. Its shared between my province and the feds. I locked in last year, interest rates higher. Glad I'm not doing it today, the rate is 1.59% VS my 2.59%. We also have something called a guaranteed investment certificate. The principal is guaranteed against loss. But they cap the return to $100k.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Right now precious metals like copper and lead connected to shiny brass!

all these metals when connected together have more than doubled in price!
These connected metals come is different sizes
9mm
556x45
762x39
762x51

are some of the more popular sizes
177 air
9mm
17hmr
22-250
25auto
45/70
all went up in smoke when the boat sank

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
177 air
9mm
17hmr
22-250
25auto
45/70
all went up in smoke when the boat sank

Just for your 411 you opened my blind eyes about the 45/70. That is a kick ass round!

I need to dump my 30/30 and get a mans rifle!
LoL

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Problem is cash devalues over time with inflation at or near the rate it gains in interest
So sure your 250K is insured if the bank folds, but it doesnt appreciate much over time. Rat holing cash isnt as much investment as it is "savings".

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score
Just for your 411 you opened my blind eyes about the 45/70. That is a kick ass round!

LoL
It’s a biggy

LoL
biggy round
236B2B60-3EFA-4642-A9F2-C7B086548341.jpeg

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Yeah, holding physical gold is generally seen as a way to preserve value, a hedge against inflation 👍

Some things that's aren't sexy, but are solid investment values, would be copper and coal.

Copper is needed for electronics and pretty much anything electrical, and demand will only go up.

Coal is cheap because climate change...but coal isn't just burned for fuel. Its needed for the production of tons of shit, including electronics and carbon fiber (it's where the carbon comes from...coal is carbon)

Sure - silver, platinum, palladium,...

Thing is when you move out of precious metals to commodities like copper, and coal what happens is the volume you need as a hedge becomes prohibitive to handle and store. 10 gold coins fit in a few inches of space and is worth 20K.

If you heat you house with coal buying another ton or 2 makes sense. Trying to use coal as a bargaining commodity is really tough.

UD

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
Borrow as much money as you can at 2.5% and buy value/blue chip stocks paying 2% or more dividends with 75% of it. The rest sprinkle it around with precious metals and collectibles.

TITTIES AND BEER

Reaction score

Thing is when you move out of precious metals to commodities like copper, and coal what happens is the volume you need as a hedge becomes prohibitive to handle and store. 10 gold coins fit in a few inches of space and is worth 20K.

If you heat you house with coal buying another ton or 2 makes sense. Trying to use coal as a bargaining commodity is really tough.

UD
Unless your family is freezing to death

HBCraig

Reaction score

There used to be an Orange account with ING. 3 months, 3% and its insured

78Southwind

Reaction score
Borrow as much money as you can at 2.5% and buy value/blue chip stocks paying 2% or more dividends with 75% of it. The rest sprinkle it around with precious metals and collectibles.

This seems like the most obvious solution and I agree with it. But as I sit here (after throwing $100,000 in the stock market that I had sitting in cash in my Roth IRA back in March) scratching my head watching that money turn into $150,000. I paid off my home back in 2018 and the only debt that I have is my vacation home. With that being said, it takes every bit of restraint in not selling at least $50,000 and paying off my vacation home and finally being completely debt free...

brgrcru

Reaction score
Door #2 I'll take a depression over hyper inflation .

wiseone

Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend buying the gold & silver from?

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Where do you guys recommend buying the gold & silver from?

I've bought from Kitco, MoneX, and private parties and shops.
Lots of trustworthy gold marts have lots of coins in safes.

Trustworthy shops have numerous means for proving authenticity at min a set of calipers and a scale.

I find coins easier to deal with than ingots.

Id rather have more lower denominations coins than large ones in about an 75/25 ratio because it makes divisibility easier.

A super cool product is a valcambi bar because its so easily divisible with each little segment carrying the foundry mark on it.

Last edited:

wiseone

Reaction score
Any recommendations for shops in the San Diego or so cal area

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
No but I was talking to a guy on 45/90s

Thats a thumper, once on a motorcycle ride through alaska a restaurant we stopped at had a picture of- get this
" Pete Bull bathing with his 45/90 in the skookemchuck hot springs" and a pict of some grizzly adams looking guy under a waterfall with the rifle leaned next to him.

An easier way to get some more muzzle energy is with a 457 mod to a 45/70.
A 457/ 45-70 can be made into a take down very stealth.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Any recommendations for shops in the San Diego or so cal area

Sorry dont know that area.

Im in Gold country so there are all kinds of shops buying and selling all the time up here.

What are you thinking of getting?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

UD

LOL the coal/copper thing was a separate thought as a good investment play. Not a suggestion to amass physical stores of each [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Without primers, all the ammo talk is worthless. We need an RDP co op primer making company in Texas.
We have enough backgrounds on here to start our own company and enough inmates ready to move to make it happen. Demand is already there and won’t stop.
Let’s go🤣

nameisbond

Reaction score
I'm also loading up on junior mining stocks with properties outside the USA. Don't think Biden/Harris is going to be good for mining. But with high gold prices should raise the share prices of junior miners. The key (which is hard) with junior mining stocks (penny stocks) is the shares outstanding. You want a low number of shares outstanding.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
LOL the coal/copper thing was a separate thought as a good investment play. Not a suggestion to amass physical stores of each [emoji4]
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That brings up a point of how one distributes ones paper vs. physical holdings.

In any kind of fast downturn paper becomes worthless, and the physical asset rules.

When my facebook IPO was locked out of trading " mysteriously" but Goldmans trades all went through- there was of course zero accountability.
I saw how that all goes down.

badgas

Reaction score
This seems like the most obvious solution and I agree with it. But as I sit here (after throwing $100,000 in the stock market that I had sitting in cash in my Roth IRA back in March) scratching my head watching that money turn into $150,000. I paid off my home back in 2018 and the only debt that I have is my vacation home. With that being said, it takes every bit of restraint in not selling at least $50,000 and paying off my vacation home and finally being completely debt free...

You won't hate being 100% debt free and if you hate it go back and get more debt. Are you at the age where you can withdraw from the roth without a hit ? You have to pay on gains if you are under 59 1/2 correct ? A lot depends on your age, If it wont hurt the nest egg I would pay that off today.

Last edited:

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
People hedging inflation with gold may not realize that gold is even more inflated itself, as paper gold, the investment type of gold, is by some estimates to exceed actual physical gold in existence by several hundred times. Which is why it's price hasn't made increases that match it's actual demand in the market, especially when looking at how widely it's used in technology products.

Real gold is what you want, however it is taxed much higher than paper gold in gains.

Cash is great if you are looking to scoop up assets at the bottom, much more useful than gold. Try buying a boat or property with gold vs having cash that everyone is familiar with.

If shit hits the fan and investments start losing value so will gold as people sell and bail out.

Historically, at least over the last 40 years, gold hasn't been a great hedge against inflation. Just look at the historical prices, then look at SP 500 or Dow priced in gold instead of USD.