WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any updates on the speed car?

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I don’t have any social media so any updates on the speed car i know there was a thread on here but I can’t find it how many of you are getting tired of waiting?

DMF

Reaction score
We are all tired of waiting....but what choice do we have?

76sanger

Reaction score
I have a feeling that patience is going to pay off huge for those of you who bought one. Fun times ahead stomping all over Can Am, Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha for you guys.

Reactions: DWC

NoOtherWay

Reaction score
Robby does a weekly video update on his Facebook and Instagram accounts. Pretty cool stuff, if you have 30 minutes to one hour to kill. Talks car components. He stated the only hold up right now is a little setback with the clutch.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Do a search for thread titles with Speed UTV, there is a very long one with updates in it. The weekly updates are on You Tube as well.

It is gonna be another couple months.

Yes waiting sucks but they developed an entire car themselves in 15 months. It was never ever gonna be done in 2020. Let them take the time to perfect the new car and get it right.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I think they had a vote on the approval of the zoning last night a the council meeting. I'm pretty sure it was or will be approved.

Edit : It was approved.

Last edited:

asa400ex

Reaction score
I don’t have any social media so any updates on the speed car i know there was a thread on here but I can’t find it how many of you are getting tired of waiting?
If you have access to YouTube all the Robby videos are on there. They are up to presentation #42. I saw today on FB that someone received thier final invoice and the delivery date was mid April.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just received the final invoice for mine. They said they wouldn’t send those until they were 30 days out?

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What was the count on how many orders they had, it was a big number last I heard.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I just received the final invoice for mine. They said they wouldn’t send those until they were 30 days out?

No. You have to PAY 30 days before delivery. You have a week to adjust your final invoice before it is locked in. After that if you want extra parts they will be shipped to your house, they won't come with the car.

Morgan Motorsports was supposed to get a set of Speed Seats so we could sit in them to choose our final seat sizes.

Call them up and see if they have them yet :) Otherwise you have to go by the sizing chart on the SpeedUTV website. I know I will be std. width, but I am between the std. and tall height seats so I really want to sit in them.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
In Dog Years? Lol 😂 There’s no way they are rolling cars out by February!

They aren't.. March/April at the earliest. They have to finish the 4 seat mule and validate the suspension, engine and clutch on it. I don't see that taking very long though. They hit all the roadblocks with the 2 seater already and addressed them.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
About 10K units total. That includes dealers and direct sales.
Wow, unless they have full blown production line set up like a car company that is gonna take some time. Hopefully they dont outsource it to say China or something if so quality is gonna suffer.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Wow, unless they have full blown production line set up like a car company that is gonna take some time. Hopefully they dont outsource it to say China or something if so quality is gonna suffer.

They have a full blown production line set up in Texas with Hisun. They are targeting 40 units per business day after the first 400 units. Once these get going they will get done quick.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
What was the minimum deposit required?

Initial deposit was $1500 for a $32K 4 seat car with the 300HP key. That $32K car is now $37K. The 300HP key is now a $1500 option.

People have sold their $1500 deposits for $6K or more.

You can still buy a $32K car, but it is a base car. No custom wrap, no roof, plastic seats, non bead lock wheels, and some lower end trim. It will have the same 3.25" shocks, same 3 speed sequential CVT and same 999CC turbo engine making 225 HP.

There are also 2 different 2 seaters available that the deposit could be applied to.

They are 100% honoring the initial prices offered. For the most part, the car has everything that was promised, and more.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
I have a can am and really enjoy driving it, with that said I am excited for the speed car as it can only raise the bar accross the board.

Speed and Robby Gordon need to take their time and make sure this Launches with out any hiccups, which there will be something that pops up but I hope it’s minor.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Initial deposit was $1500 for a $32K 4 seat car with the 300HP key. That $32K car is now $37K. The 300HP key is now a $1500 option.

People have sold their $1500 deposits for $6K or more.

You can still buy a $32K car, but it is a base car. No custom wrap, no roof, plastic seats, non bead lock wheels, and some lower end trim.

There are also 2 different 2 seaters available that the deposit could be applied to.

They are 100% honoring the initial prices offered. For the most part, the car has everything that was promised, and more.

With the minimum $1500 mentioned times 10,000 units, thats 15 million, damn, thats alot of money, hopefully it all goes as planned.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
With the minimum $1500 mentioned times 10,000 units, thats 15 million, damn, thats alot of money, hopefully it all goes as planned.

They said they had an $8M development budget for the car. I don't know how true that is, or if they are over or under budget on development.

He has said the cost to produce each unit is higher than anticipated because they kept adding features because of the positive demand. They were hoping to sell 500-1000 in the first year.

I expect the MSRP to go up again when these things hit the dirt. They also have developed the car to have a sealed cockpit version with heat and AC.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
It would be nice if they would show the factory and some parts inventory, every time I watch a new presentation it seems like there should be more info on
the actual build process. I would like to see an inventory of engines and frames, even at an April delivery date for cars there needs to be a parts supply on the
ground now to make that happen. I'm m/# 2153 so it will be a while for me and I should be able to see some production cars at dealers before I have to give
more $$. I only have $1500 in the till, many people have 5-10 grand invested already, hopefully all goes as planned.

asa400ex

Reaction score
The part I don't like is the cars are coming out right when boating season starts up. (April/May) By time I get to use the car (Oct) it will be out of warranty.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Ive said this before and I hope Im wrong. where are the assembly line pics? Where is the material that will be assembled on this line? Or has it not been ordered since the product is not finalized. is the building ready to start? machinery set, utilities in place. is the front office staff ready? How many are employed today? id say 100 today to have a product to you in a few months wouldn't be enough. Are all the legal hurdles done without a final product ready for build and sell? This is something you need to register in a state.
Will you get a coupon for a Magic deck boat discount with purchase?

They are still testing. Im sorry but these things need to be in a create right now for you to get it in 30 days. Im hopefully skeptical, Im a very late buyer on one of these, like years from now. If I pay more thats fine.

I really hope you guys dont get screwed. This is company being funded by customers with no product. Sure these can be a success, but YOU are at risk.

If there are pictures Ive never seen then great, disregard my .02

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
They said they had an $8M development budget for the car. I don't know how true that is, or if they are over or under budget on development.

He has said the cost to produce each unit is higher than anticipated because they kept adding features because of the positive demand. They were hoping to sell 500-1000 in the first year.

I expect the MSRP to go up again when these things hit the dirt. They also have developed the car to have a sealed cockpit version with heat and AC.

Aaaaaaaaaand that's when you'll see my HEY LAM thread :D

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
We are getting near the point of these UTVs that it makes more sense to do a custom build on a big car or buy. I remember when we started the UTV craze with Rangers and Rhinos, they were a CHEAP $10K entry point into a car that played our rock music and held our beer to follow the kids on rides and to watch sunsets on the top of hills. My feeling is they have jumped the shark when I see people sinking $60K plus into these things when all said done. I dont know maybe I do not see the value in these anymore. Im at the point I would rather buy or build a truggy with that classic V8 sound and spend double but feel the violence of the motor and suspension working its ass off.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It would be nice if they would show the factory and some parts inventory, every time I watch a new presentation it seems like there should be more info on
the actual build process. I would like to see an inventory of engines and frames, even at an April delivery date for cars there needs to be a parts supply on the
ground now to make that happen. I'm m/# 2153 so it will be a while for me and I should be able to see some production cars at dealers before I have to give
more $$. I only have $1500 in the till, many people have 5-10 grand invested already, hopefully all goes as planned.

Ive said this before and I hope Im wrong. where are the assembly line pics? Where is the material that will be assembled on this line? Or has it not been ordered since the product is not finalized. is the building ready to start? machinery set, utilities in place. is the front office staff ready? How many are employed today? id say 100 today to have a product to you in a few months wouldn't be enough. Are all the legal hurdles done without a final product ready for build and sell? This is something you need to register in a state.
Will you get a coupon for a Magic deck boat discount with purchase?

They are still testing. Im sorry but these things need to be in a create right now for you to get it in 30 days. Im hopefully skeptical, Im a very late buyer on one of these, like years from now. If I pay more thats fine.

I really hope you guys dont get screwed. This is company being funded by customers with no product. Sure these can be a success, but YOU are at risk.

If there are pictures Ive never seen then great, disregard my .02

First of all nothing is coming in 30 days. No one has said anything will be delivered in 30 days. I've said from the beginning there is no way these will be on time, and in the documentation sent, the target delivery date was March. I believe it will be a month or 3 after that. That is not the best timing to get it in the summer, but whatever.

I would love to see the development and parts pictures as well. But from a business and optics perspective, I don't see any real upside for them showing a container full of wheels, or an assembly line that is being set up. It is not their responsibility to update us on the material orders, suppler lead times, employees, etc.

It is just like a Tesla... except the price has not been changed on us. We put money down on the idea of a car. If it is late, it is late. I don't think there is ANYONE that has put money down that thinks they are getting ripped off. You could sell your place in line for a 400% markup in a couple hours if you think you are getting ripped off.

At the end of the day, either don't put money down on one, or sell your place in line.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We are getting near the point of these UTVs that it makes more sense to do a custom build on a big car or buy. I remember when we started the UTV craze with Rangers and Rhinos, they were a CHEAP $10K entry point into a car that played our rock music and held our beer to follow the kids on rides and to watch sunsets on the top of hills. My feeling is they have jumped the shark when I see people sinking $60K plus into these things when all said done. I dont know maybe I do not see the value in these anymore. Im at the point I would rather buy or build a truggy with that classic V8 sound and spend double but feel the violence of the motor and suspension working its ass off.

It is the easy financing, insurance and warranty, That is the value. It is the same as a boat with 2 450 outboards vs a single 1350. Yea a 1350 is cool but the maintenance and entry costs eat you alive. A v8 dirt car needs constant maintenance, and that maintenance is expensive. Plus if you bend something you are hard down, you probably need to go to a fab shop unless you can fab yourself. If bend an arm on a SXS I order a new one and bolt it on.

The SXS are cheaper to operate, anyone can hop in a drive, a nearby dealer can work on them, and they work OK out in the dirt.

I remember friends that dumped $10-12K into those Rhinos on top of the purchase price and got smoked when the newer RZRs came out for $15K. Its just a progression.

Now we are to the point where SXSs are as fast or faster than class 10 cars.

riverroyal

Reaction score
First of all nothing is coming in 30 days. No one has said anything will be delivered in 30 days. I've said from the beginning there is no way these will be on time, and in the documentation sent, the target delivery date was March. I believe it will be a month or 3 after that. That is not the best timing to get it in the summer, but whatever.

I would love to see the development and parts pictures as well. But from a business and optics perspective, I don't see any real upside for them showing a container full of wheels, or an assembly line that is being set up. It is not their responsibility to update us on the material orders, suppler lead times, employees, etc.

It is just like a Tesla... except the price has not been changed on us. We put money down on the idea of a car. If it is late, it is late. I don't think there is ANYONE that has put money down that thinks they are getting ripped off. You could sell your place in line for a 400% markup in a couple hours if you think you are getting ripped off.

At the end of the day, either don't put money down on one, or sell your place in line.
The upside to showing where they are currently at is gives the buyers confidence that the year delay is ok. Thats all

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
The upside to showing where they are currently at is gives the buyers confidence that the year delay is ok. Thats all

That is what they are doing weekly in the design presentations.

What year delay are you talking about? They presented the IDEA of this car 16 months ago? In that time its gone from paper, to design to working prototypes.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
I believe there could be a little more transparency about the production process, but I don't feel like I'm being ripped off. If you go to Hisun's website there is no
mention of the Speed partnership. It does look like Hisun has the capability to build the cars, I would think they would be proud of the partnership with Speed as it's going
to end up as a premium UTV. I think it is reasonable to have some doubts, hopefully Robbie is not in over his head. The presentations do not reassure me, they seem
more like sales pitches, especially the most recent ones.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I believe there could be a little more transparency about the production process, but I don't feel like I'm being ripped off. If you go to Hisun's website there is no
mention of the Speed partnership. It does look like Hisun has the capability to build the cars, I would think they would be proud of the partnership with Speed as it's going
to end up as a premium UTV. I think it is reasonable to have some doubts, hopefully Robbie is not in over his head. The presentations do not reassure me, they seem
more like sales pitches, especially the most recent ones.

I do agree, the pitches in the last month are less technical and more about the order process, and repeats about the features and products. I am certain he's been getting a lot of impatient people and is trying to sell them on being patient with him as they finish up development.

riverroyal

Reaction score
That is what they are doing weekly in the design presentations.

What year delay are you talking about? They presented the IDEA of this car 16 months ago? In that time its gone from paper, to design to working prototypes.
it will be a year behind schedule. You guys were going to have these last Thanksgiving. Ive said it before, Im a fan. Im a buyer in a few years. Im not a customer of a funder start up business. Not when the product is 40k.

PlanB

Reaction score
It is the easy financing, insurance and warranty, That is the value. It is the same as a boat with 2 450 outboards vs a single 1350. Yea a 1350 is cool but the maintenance and entry costs eat you alive. A v8 dirt car needs constant maintenance, and that maintenance is expensive. Plus if you bend something you are hard down, you probably need to go to a fab shop unless you can fab yourself. If bend an arm on a SXS I order a new one and bolt it on.

The SXS are cheaper to operate, anyone can hop in a drive, a nearby dealer can work on them, and they work OK out in the dirt.

I remember friends that dumped $10-12K into those Rhinos on top of the purchase price and got smoked when the newer RZRs came out for $15K. Its just a progression.

Now we are to the point where SXSs are as fast or faster than class 10 cars.

I have a buddy that has a six figure custom car and he just blew the transmission his first trip out. He owns a shop and can do the work himself, but he was complaining about the maintenance and also said the car does not do well on the typical trails that everyone is riding with their side x sides. Totally different animal...

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
it will be a year behind schedule. You guys were going to have these last Thanksgiving. Ive said it before, Im a fan. Im a buyer in a few years. Im not a customer of a funder start up business. Not when the product is 40k.

We were never going to have them last Thanksgiving. That was wishful thinking and hype to get things going. Again I don't believe anyone's paperwork stated that anyway.
I said there is no way that a Thanksgiving delivery was possible in September '19 after talking to RG at SSSS and said the same through last summer. I would have been like number 10 in line had I put the money down then when I talked to him. Ironically I ended up being number 1010.

I was more worried that the price was going to change than the car being late.

I'm 90% confident I'll have mine well before Thanksgiving 2021. Honestly if it was a choice to be delivered in July, or November, I'd choose November.

Yes his staff is small, but that also enabled them to be very nimble, and outsourced the production and consultation of many elements of the car. Even if the car is a year late, that is a pretty incredible timeline to go from nothing to designing your own car, engine, trans, shocks, wheels, interior, etc in less than 2 years.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I have a buddy that has a six figure custom car and he just blew the transmission his first trip out. He owns a shop and can do the work himself, but he was complaining about the maintenance and also said the car does not do well on the typical trails that everyone is riding with their side x sides. Totally different animal...

Agreed. I have all the respect in the world for the custom cars. These SXS are just easier to deal with and you can have fun on any terrain with a single car.

DLC

Reaction score

the main problem with a buggy build if built from scratch is the lead time and then all the custom parts specific to your car, no dealer net work, no warranty, no easy financing. If you break apart you have to go to the manufacturer or custom build /fix it your self. There isn’t a parts supply train that is readily available in different states.

we did the AZPT in 2019 October and one guy rolled his car on the way into Havasu he bent/broke his lower a arm, we tried to fix and it broke again we bought a brand new lower A arm in Kingman. If you were in a buggy your trip would be DONE!

i remember reading on here another guy ran the AZPT and on the 1st day his power steering pulley went bad - DONE ! Ride over.

so there are advantages to have a production type car with a parts network and parts available

DLC

Reaction score
That is still before Rack Storage comes to Havasu.

well ya!

think about it....

it takes about a year to build a home and not a custom home but a on your level lot type of home, in Lake Havasu, and people are complaining about a delay in a completely new product and network system from Texas to Arizona, which started from scratch as you say 16-18 months ago.

give it some time in 6-8 months or next desert season people will have the car and be out rallying it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
For 60k you can get an S4 car that will smoke a UTV in the dunes, abs they have something helpful called torque as well.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
For 60k you can get an S4 car that will smoke a UTV in the dunes, abs they have something helpful called torque as well.

That's true. But it can't fit in a toy hauler, no financing, and more $$$ in maintenance.

If you already have an RV and an enclosed trailer, it makes the decision to go with a custom car much easier.

DMF

Reaction score
Don’t buy something that don’t exist or sell your place in line.
Don’t buy something that don’t exist or sell your place in line.
The original question was how many of you are tired of waiting. I am tired of waiting, but since this is the car that I want then I don't have a choice but to wait! Doesn't mean I have to like waiting.

Icky

Reaction score
Are these being classified as a sxs?? Just curious if you still need to wear a helmet in them in California