WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

High Performance car brake squeak

lbhsbz

Reaction score
see if I can do do a rotor and pads swap with out any special tools....
just steer all the way to side and you should be able to see the caliper bolts.

Reactions: DLC

DLC

Reaction score
That’s even better idea...

im thinking just swap out rotors and pads and save the original stuff for resale W/ the car down the road

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Go out and do about 15 very aggressive brake applications (almost, but don't activate the ABS) from 50-60mph down to 5mph back to back...then try and hop on the freeway for a few miles to cool things back down. See if that has any effect on it. Try not to come to a complete stop until after the cooldown.

Manufactures...especially ze germans, seem to be in a competition to see how big and expensive of the brake system they can fit on everything these days. In the early 2000s, it was rare to see anything bigger than about a 12" rotor on a coupe or sedan. Now we're seeing 14-16" rotors. Most drivers aren't driving any differently and they're simply not able to put any heat into these huge brakes and because of that, the pads can't maintain a transfer layer and they don't work right.

I'll check out the options when I get to the shop tomorrow....we might be able to swap to a "lesser" brake package off of one of the lower models that uses iron rotors wtih considerably better brake pad selection...although I'm not sure you're up for doing that.
Here’s a new Porsche caliper...standard size catalog for size reference. This shit is getting ridiculous.
DA7C9722-711E-4FFF-B707-AAD9F1805255.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
Specs on the R8
only about 140 hp more and 44 ft lbs of torque v-10 5.2 L vrs a 5 cylinder 2.5 L in the TTrs

0-60 is the same

B2ACB102-11BE-4D03-A641-E27A7F3E712F.jpeg

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Did the noise start only when you changed from the original pads to the second set? I have an Audi A4 with a squeeky rear brake on my daughters A4. I chased it for a couple of months (I do all my own work) and I narrowed it down to the slot the pad tabs slide in on the caliper. Brake lube didn't fix it. It eventually dries and then you are back to the sqeek. I went so far as to take the pads off and polish the sliding surfaces of the tabs. It helped tremendously but still a little squeek at the last moment of a stop. I can live it.

Before you go and drop a bunch of money on rotors and pads I'd try a different set of pads and make sure to replace the spring clip hardware with new. Most pads come with the hardware but if not Amazon is your friend. Also the Akebono's are good pads. Good luck.

DLC

Reaction score
The original Frt pads started to squeak the dealer said well split this with you and we covered half the cost for a new set of pads.

our service tech said you need to brake harder and not to roll / coast into stops. So here it is 5 months later and the squeak has returned. Wife has been braking hard and to the point that I have to say, “ hey the light is red“ or “did you want to stop at this intersection or the next one....” For me this brake issue has kinda ruined the fun aspect of the car, if most performance cars are like this I don’t see what the appeal is, we were thinking she might upgrade to get an R8 but that thought has passed. Now it’s more like stepping back down and getting a golf R again and a tune. Maybe trying a corvette but shes not all that into the corvette

I have not driven the car.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
The original Frt pads started to squeak the dealer said well split this with you and we covered half the cost for a new set of pads.

our service tech said you need to brake harder and not to roll / coast into stops. So here it is 5 months later and the squeak has returned. Wife has been braking hard and to the point that I have to say, “ hey the light is red“ or “did you want to stop at this intersection or the next one....” For me this brake issue has kinda ruined the fun aspect of the car, if most performance cars are like this I don’t see what the appeal is, we were thinking she might upgrade to get an R8 but that thought has passed. Now it’s more like stepping back down and getting a golf R again and a tune. Maybe trying a corvette but shes not all that into the corvette

I have not driven the car.

Not sure what you meant by your comment about the "light is red and stopping at this or the next intersection"? Are you saying the car doesn't stop well in addition to the squeak? If thats the case then a new set of rotors and pads might be in order. I've had good luck with ProStop rotors and Hawk pads on several cars including a friends A5 and Q7.

Havasu Hangin'

Lord of the Drinks
Reaction score
Specs on the R8
only about 140 hp more and 44 ft lbs of torque v-10 5.2 L vrs a 5 cylinder 2.5 L in the TTrs

0-60 is the same

But does it come with a flower vase on the dash? 👍

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Not sure what you meant by your comment about the "light is red and stopping at this or the next intersection"? Are you saying the car doesn't stop well in addition to the squeak? If thats the case then a new set of rotors and pads might be in order. I've had good luck with ProStop rotors and Hawk pads on several cars including a friends A5 and Q7.

She’s just waiting till the last second to hammer the brakes.

DLC

Reaction score

our service tech said to brake hard so she applies brakes at the last second to stop at a red light, sometimes she brakes hard then slowly inches up to the intersection.

the way her brakes work is they are designed to take a lot of heat and she us trying to create the heat to avoid the squeak.

bk2drvr

Reaction score
our service tech said to brake hard so she applies brakes at the last second to stop at a red light, sometimes she brakes hard then slowly inches up to the intersection.

the way her brakes work is they are designed to take a lot of heat and she us trying to create the heat to avoid the squeak.

Okay got it. Like i mentioned before the squeak is probably not coming from the pad to rotor contact even though it may sound like that. The noise is probably coming from the pad contacts at the caliper. Noise can be deceiving. So laying on the breaks hard to stop the noise may not work. A ProStop front rotor setup and pads isn't that expensive, so it might be worth a shot. If you can do it yourself even better.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Gotcha. Ok. Never heard of akebono.

Japanese Brembo [emoji106]

Lexus appears to be moving from Brembo to Akebono. They use them on the LC Coupe, and I believe other non-performance fitments for the brand, but they aren’t branded.

And Akebono provides brakes for a few F1 teams, as well as other racing series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro