WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any updates on the speed car?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Well thats dumb, didn't they pass the 1000cc mark that the rules were set by?

You are then hit with all kinds of other regulations regarding emissions, crash testing, etc. Speed does not have the lobbying budget for that. Polaris does, they are coming out with a 1400CC car. I guarantee you you'll still have to wear a helmet in CA.

Reactions: DWC

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
I believe there could be a little more transparency about the production process, but I don't feel like I'm being ripped off. If you go to Hisun's website there is no
mention of the Speed partnership. It does look like Hisun has the capability to build the cars, I would think they would be proud of the partnership with Speed as it's going
to end up as a premium UTV. I think it is reasonable to have some doubts, hopefully Robbie is not in over his head. The presentations do not reassure me, they seem
more like sales pitches, especially the most recent ones.
Is there any more transparency on any other product you have bought? Why would they show it?

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Is there any more transparency on any other product you have bought? Why would they show it?
I would think because no one has seen a production car yet, they are way later than promised, and this is an unique buying process.

Icky

Reaction score
You are then hit with all kinds of other regulations regarding emissions, crash testing, etc. Speed does not have the lobbying budget for that. Polaris does, they are coming out with a 1400CC car. I guarantee you you'll still have to wear a helmet in CA.
So Tatum, extreme, racer, alumacraft etc have done all this?🤔

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
We all should have been at the city council meeting today in LHC and heckled RG :) We woudl have sat in the back and chanted "Wheres our cars?"

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I would think because no one has seen a production car yet, they are way later than promised, and this is an unique buying process.

They aren't way later than promised? When I put my deposit down at the SSSS a year and a half ago, they said thanksgiving at the earliest, but realistically early 2021?

RD

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
So Tatum, extreme, racer, alumacraft etc have done all this?🤔
I was always wondered that, I wear a helmet in my buggy anyway. The 550hp LS2 in my car is a bit more than 999 cc.

riverroyal

Reaction score
We were never going to have them last Thanksgiving. That was wishful thinking and hype to get things going. Again I don't believe anyone's paperwork stated that anyway.
I said there is no way that a Thanksgiving delivery was possible in September '19 after talking to RG at SSSS and said the same through last summer. I would have been like number 10 in line had I put the money down then when I talked to him. Ironically I ended up being number 1010.

I was more worried that the price was going to change than the car being late.

I'm 90% confident I'll have mine well before Thanksgiving 2021. Honestly if it was a choice to be delivered in July, or November, I'd choose November.

Yes his staff is small, but that also enabled them to be very nimble, and outsourced the production and consultation of may elements of the car. Even if the car is a year late, that is a pretty incredible timeline to go from nothing to designing your own car, engine, trans, shocks, wheels, interior, etc in less than 2 years.
10000 car is pretty damn impressive. Thats deposits and not fully funded. Some will drop out but if 30% drop its still impressive.
Morgan motor sports is going to be busy

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I was always wondered that, I wear a helmet in my buggy anyway. The 550hp LS2 in my car is a bit more than 999 cc.

I'm actually interested to see how the law will change after Polaris brings out what they have rumored that is over 1000cc. Will everyone have to wear a helmet? Will it just be based on a 2.0L engine size? Car weight?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
10000 car is pretty damn impressive. Thats deposits and not fully funded. Some will drop out but if 30% drop its still impressive.
Morgan motor sports is going to be busy

If you "drop out" you lose your $1500.

RG is claiming $450M in sales since March.

I don't know what they got out of the dealers per car, if anything at all. That 10K includes dealer orders. Maybe the dealers got some really good pricing for a deposit on a per car basis. I have no idea

To your point,

glamis0812

Reaction score
That's true. But it can't fit in a toy hauler, no financing, and more $$$ in maintenance.

If you already have an RV and an enclosed trailer, it makes the decision to go with a custom car much easier.

There’s a lot of toy haulers out there that sand rails fit into and the more money in maintenance is worth it.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
There’s a lot of toy haulers out there that sand rails fit into and the more money in maintenance is worth it.

There are quite a few. Most people don't have those toy haulers however, nor do they have the trucks to pull them.

As far as the maintenance, to each his own. We all spend money on what we want. If you want to do a wheelie in the sand at 100mph, more power to you.

Reactions: DWC

EarpRider

Reaction score
Robby was at the Lake Havasu Council meeting yesterday getting approval to take over the Hastings Building (it was approved).
They are expecting to build 1 million in 2021 and 2.1 by 2022.😮 He said quote "I can't say I'm not a little scared."
Screenshot_20210113-182907_Facebook.jpg

Riverryder

Reaction score
doesn't everyone know that its a bad idea to buy the first version of anything?

say cars are delivered and like many of you guys have stated that sxs are better because parts available. if they are just trying to build these things and get them to the consumer. how is it gonna be if you guys need that lower control arm? or turbo? in reality these things are custom and you are going to be waiting for parts as someone with a custom car would wait?

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Even if the car is a year late, that is a pretty incredible timeline to go from nothing to designing your own car, engine, trans, shocks, wheels, interior, etc in less than 2 years.

I seriously disagree.

2 weeks of blueprints.
75 days for working prototypes.
At 2 years, it should be 10,000 a month.

Its been done before.

Dan'l

Icky

Reaction score
I seriously disagree.

2 weeks of blueprints.

Its been done before.

Dan'l
Blueprints? At that rate it's gotta be all 3d modeled with all the tubes cnc laser cut and bent

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I seriously disagree.

2 weeks of blueprints.

Its been done before.

Dan'l

The entire car is designed in 3D cad software.

What’s been done before?

It takes Polaris and Can Am, Honda, Kawasaki, and Textron 3+ years to design and bring a new car to market. Even at 2 years he’s 33% faster than the competitors.

Last edited:

riverroyal

Reaction score
One thing that can be tough is he mentioned 40000 parts from all over the globe. Ok. Yet it’s still being tested. So my assumption is none of the 40000 individual pieces have released to build. Oh and build me 10000 of these to fill current orders

I think he may have created something that’s too big. Over sold.
im in the building industry and we can’t get parts made of metals that have been produced for decades. Not brand new.
but money talks! No idea the profit per unit. To fill orders quick they may need sell more, gain less

riverroyal

Reaction score
What’s the over under on what we see first, the Speed cars or the new Magic’s?
That’s harder than chicken before the egg.
I’m going with either we see Jesus or Elvis before

magic.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
One thing that can be tough is he mentioned 40000 parts from all over the globe. Ok. Yet it’s still being tested. So my assumption is none of the 40000 individual pieces have released to build. Oh and build me 10000 of these to fill current orders

I think he may have created something that’s too big. Over sold.
im in the building industry and we can’t get parts made of metals that have been produced for decades. Not brand new.
but money talks! No idea the profit per unit. To fill orders quick they may need sell more, gain less

I don’t know the percentage but many parts are already being built. You are talking about this like car development happens in a serial fashion. Many processes can happen at once. If there will be supply issues, who knows. It may take all year to get through 10,000 cars.

The dude didn’t just buy a building in Havasu, have a meeting with the city council to discuss his plans, lobby to get the building rezoned, all to screw over a few thousand people and all the largest power sports dealers in the southwest.

The only ones complaining about not having a car are the ones that didn’t put down a deposit for one.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
If you "drop out" you lose your $1500.

RG is claiming $450M in sales since March.

I don't know what they got out of the dealers per car, if anything at all. That 10K includes dealer orders. Maybe the dealers got some really good pricing for a deposit on a per car basis. I have no idea

To your point,
$450MM in sales? Nothing has been delivered yet...or even started if he wanted to use % of completion. Is it $450MM in Customer Deposits? Maybe deferred revenue...

DLC

Reaction score
As I understand he has simplified the parts aspect

Most of the suspension parts are the same part so all frt arms are the same, rear trailing arms are the same, they just need right and lefts, the axles are all the same size, a rear axle will fit on a Frt, Tie rods are the same on all cars

so you don’t have 5 years of different sizes a arms and trailing arms etc

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
$450MM in sales? Nothing has been delivered yet...or even started if he wanted to use % of completion. Is it $450MM in Customer Deposits? Maybe deferred revenue...

Yea it’s based on customer deposits and it certainly is deferred revenue. All he has to do is finish the car development and deliver cars to capture it.

So he’s got $450M hanging out there he will just be able to collect. I’m CERTAIN he is dragging his feet developing the car, because $450 million isn’t a motivating factor.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
As I understand he has simplified the parts aspect

Most of the suspension parts are the same part so all frt arms are the same, rear trailing arms are the same, they just need right and lefts, the axles are all the same size, a rear axle will fit on a Frt, Tie rods are the same on all cars

so you don’t have 5 years of different sizes a arms and trailing arms etc

That’s correct. They were pretty smart in that aspect. Arms can be used on the left or right sides. I think even the trailing arms are the same. All the shock parts are the same front and rear. Axles the same front and rear,

Exhaust manifold and turbo hot side are all one piece. They did some neat stuff.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
That alone cuts out 50% of parts needed to stock on a shelf.

Also all the standard stuff you’d expect to be the same, is. Same hubs all around, wheel bearings, rotors.

The hub bolts into the front spindle or rear trailing arm as a cartridge so if you have an issue you can change an entire hub/wheel bearing assembly on the trail.

Reactions: DLC

riverroyal

Reaction score
Also all the standard stuff you’d expect to be the same, is. Same hubs all around, wheel bearings, rotors.

The hub bolts into the front spindle or rear trailing arm as a cartridge so if you have an issue you can change an entire hub/wheel bearing assembly on the trail.
It's still 40000 pieces. I just hope you guys get what you paid for. I will eat a bucket of fried crow hopefully. If it goes as planned then I will get one. Yes that will be in a few years.
They will have demo days at some point. I will probably skip those out off fear.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

So, how big are the breaks? (Yes I spelled it wrong like the utv article) Those tiny rotors should be on a wheelbarrow.

What is 'forged castings'? A new metrictonofshit?
I'm not a metallurgist, either.

Dan'l

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
So, how big are the breaks? (Yes I spelled it wrong like the utv article) Those tiny rotors should be on a wheelbarrow.

What is 'forged castings'? A new metrictonofshit?
I'm not a metallurgist, either.

Dan'l

Dunno what to tell you Dan’l. You are trying to apply marketing jargon from a presentation to engineering.

Try staying at a Holiday Inn Express.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
It's still 40000 pieces. I just hope you guys get what you paid for. I will eat a bucket of fried crow hopefully. If it goes as planned then I will get one. Yes that will be in a few years.
They will have demo days at some point. I will probably skip those out off fear.

Every Polaris and Can am Is 40,000 parts and it takes them longer to bring a car to market. And when they do all of them have a shitload of problems with new cars. A Can Am needs $1000 worth of extra metal parts just to hold together for casual rides in the desert.

If the Speed car comes out and the hubs get loose and fall off, the clutches explode, the belts break, the steering rack fails, the wheel bearings lock up, and it catches fire, it will have been just as a successful of a debut as a RZR or Can Am.

Can Am and Polaris have set the bar pretty low. It is better than it was 4-5 years ago, but it still pretty low.

Honestly they way these SXS are built and based on what I’ve seen online and in person, I trust the Speed car over any Polaris or Can Am from a safety perspective. They are not even in the same ballpark.

Geiser is making aftermarket chassis for the 2 seat Can Ams now because the chassis simply ages out after hard use, or are junk after a single incident.

If the Speed car is late, it’s late. All the customers here said yes it sucks to wait, but we are willing to wait.

If your concern is it won’t perform as advertised that is a different discussion that we don’t yet have all the answers to.

If the concern is it is not going to be reliable, well that is why some people took a risk and reserved a car up front for a large discount. I don’t see anyone with any regrets at this time.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
I don’t know the percentage but many parts are already being built. You are talking about this like car development happens in a serial fashion. Many processes can happen at once. If there will be supply issues, who knows. It may take all year to get through 10,000 cars.

The dude didn’t just buy a building in Havasu, have a meeting with the city council to discuss his plans, lobby to get the building rezoned, all to screw over a few thousand people and all the largest power sports dealers in the southwest.

The only ones complaining about not having a car are the ones that didn’t put down a deposit for one.

Did he purchase that old Hastings building or leasing it ? I thought RD mentioned that lady owner wouldn't sell, despite numerous offers.

Not purchasing a Speed Car, but do you suppose Robby will be servicing and selling his accessories for the XX from there ??

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I'm wondering how production will be able to scale. I understand that Hisun has said 40 cars per day once they are up running. What about after the backorder of 10k cars has been filled? I don't think they will be selling 40 cars per day in order to keep the line busy.

Taboma

Reaction score
With so much anti-Chinese sentiment advocated and displayed here on RDP, I'm rather surprised at the rather non-controversial acceptance that these cars are having their parts sourced, produced and assembled by a Chinese owned company, Hisun.
Certainly I realize we're all driving SxS machines with Chinese parts and I'm not trying to stir up any anti-Robbie or Speed sentiment, but for some reason I had no idea up until reading this thread how Robbie was getting these cars manufactured.

I see that Hisun is another company who according to their "About" info on their website has manufactured other SxS or UTVs for other brands and decided to market their own under their own label.
Who's were they making and which models ??

Damn, their 1000 EPS two seater comes fully loaded for under $ 14K !!! But only one dealer in AZ, appears there's two in So Cal.

Is Robbie going to become a Hisun dealer as well ??

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm wondering how production will be able to scale. I understand that Hisun has said 40 cars per day once they are up running. What about after the backorder of 10k cars has been filled? I don't think they will be selling 40 cars per day in order to keep the line busy.

I have no details but if I had to guess they contracted to make an allotted amount of cars per year on the line. That said 10000 cars at 40 per day will keep them busy for a year straight.

10000 units in sales per year sounds very doable to me.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Did he purchase that old Hastings building or leasing it ? I thought RD mentioned that lady owner wouldn't sell, despite numerous offers.

Not purchasing a Speed Car, but do you suppose Robby will be servicing and selling his accessories for the XX from there ??

I don’t know for sure but I would imagine that would be public knowledge if he bought the building.

On the Wildcat XX front my guess would be yes. That is still their non turbo car.

Taboma

Reaction score
I don’t know for sure but I would imagine that would be public knowledge if he bought the building.

On the Wildcat XX front my guess would be yes. That is still their non turbo car.

Don't know about the building, just going from RD saying no way the owner would sell.

I think that having his business in town supporting the XX platform is pretty cool. 👍👍