WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

"Without electricity, your generation is nothin'." or What are your plans today?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
At 4:30 AM this morning I stepped outside with the dog and it was warm and a breeze picking up.
A text from SCE dinged in telling they anticipate high winds and a 24 hour power shut off is imminent.

So I rolled out and plugged the generator in to power the house.
Our Kids have online tests and school classes all day through the evening. They don't tell me why but they don't want to use their laptops + we need to keep the wifi juiced up and their PCs powered and the microwave too.

I remember my dad yelling at me "Without electricity, your generation is nothin'."

Pic from our past blackout:
nlqumps-jpg.54861

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
At 4:30 AM this morning I stepped outside with the dog and it was warm and a breeze picking up.
A text from SCE dinged in telling they anticipate high winds and a 24 hour power shut off is imminent.

Our Kids have online tests and school classes all day through the evening. They don't tell me why but they don't want to use their laptops + we need to keep the wifi juiced up and their PCs powered and the microwave too.

I remember my dad yelling at me "Without electricity, your generation is nothin'."

nlqumps-jpg.54861
Where do live that it’s that bright out already? I’m in Apple valley and it’s still pitch black.

Reactions: TPC

Motor Boater

Reaction score
California: we want every car to be electric
Also California: we are turning your electricity off

California: you can’t have wood burning fireplaces
Also California: it’s cold as shit and we are turning your electricity off

I don’t know how you guys do it. LOL

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Ya left out the Governor and past governor won't let the power companies repower with clean natural gas fired turbines and won't renew existing power plants permits.
The more expensive switches I used are pretty cool in that if you click them smartly and quick you won't experience a power bump when the line power comes back on.

CLdrinker

Reaction score

Just put wood in your gas fireplace and burn your house down, it’s a pretty popular fuck up lol.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
231E1FDF-5FFC-4820-AC46-8702D68E49AC.jpeg
Ah ha! You tricked me! I thought SCE turned off my sunlight too!
It was much darker in person. The iphone camera really lit it up.

If they kill the power it's usually off at 8 AM.
Going to be in the high 80's/low 90's today - wife will be rolling in from work soon worn out & beat. 12 in a row twelve hour shifts.

She'll sleep in the Toy Hauler with the AC on.
Generator hook up is only good for 20 amps per circuit so no central AC in the House. Electrician talked me out of that and had good reasons.

I'm hanging a 120V/9 amp draw window unit in the master and I'll get the 9 amp draw swamp cooler installed for the rest of the house.

These U shaped window units $375 delivered, let you almost fully close the window and are super quiet, powerful, 120V with low power draw:

6ba1cbb0ca52b1af7228a1d865906fa6.jpg

231E1FDF-5FFC-4820-AC46-8702D68E49AC.jpeg

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score

nlqumps-jpg.54861
To be honest, I doubt I can run a generator to power my house after seeing your panel. Mines is brutally old.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
To be honest, I doubt I can run a generator to power my house after seeing your panel. Mines is brutally old.

That shouldn't matter should it? May be wrong but but I think:

The generator hook up is pretty much it's own separate panel with it's own breakers. It bypasses the old panel when the switches are on generator setting.
The switches decide one panel (your old one) or the other/ line power or generator. Ya still use your old panel when not using the generator.

1CB96FC0-CB7B-4E9B-8405-003C74DD6B51.jpeg

I'll eventually bring in solar. SCE isn't cooperating. Kids say their is a glut of solar that SCE isn't happy about.
We're hitting tier 3 rates in the summer and what once was a $95 monthly electric bill for decades is now $350.

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I’ve got an older panel and my generateor is only single phase. Panel upgrade coming soon, and I’m going to set it up so the essentials are on one leg (lights, fridge, 2 or 3 outlets). That way I can kill the main and power up that one leg and should be good to go. Thoughts?

Taboma

Reaction score
I’ve got an older panel and my generateor is only single phase. Panel upgrade coming soon, and I’m going to set it up so the essentials are on one leg (lights, fridge, 2 or 3 outlets). That way I can kill the main and power up that one leg and should be good to go. Thoughts?

Good idea. Although a few of my essential circuits are located in different sub-panels, I've reconfigured a few essentials so they're on the same phase.

hallett21

Reaction score

Should be fine. You just want to make sure you have a balanced load during normal operation.

Had one lady who’s essential list of circuits was basically the whole house lol. And wanted it to run on the single phase generator she already bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Should be fine. You just want to make sure you have a balanced load during normal operation.

Had one lady who’s essential list of circuits was basically the whole house lol. And wanted it to run on the single phase generator she already bought.

Absolutely.

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
I'm Electrically Moronic so please educate me. Did you have a panel installed that has a Integrated Transfer Switch that you can plug your generator into?

Taboma

Reaction score

Hard to get mine to far out of balance considering my backup is a Honda 2200I 😂 We're not affected by any SDG&E public safety outages --- YET.

While chatting with my dental hygienist recently, she mentioned since SDG&E has them on the PSPS list, they purchased a generator and had an electrician "Friend" come in and wire up an Essential Panel and gen outlet inside the garage. Thinking it odd the gen outlet was IN the garage I asked where they were going to setup and run the gen during outages ----- She replied, "In the garage" :eek: Trust me, despite her having both hands in my mouth, I stopped the session long enough to explain why that was a very bad idea.
My point being, due to these "Public Safety Power Shutoffs" there's a whole lot of folks purchasing and setting up backup generators who really shouldn't be playing with internal combustion engines or electricity. 🤯

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I'm Electrically Moronic so please educate me. Did you have a panel installed that has a Integrated Transfer Switch that you can plug your generator into?
Yes. Transfer switches, plural.
There is a cheap-o, stamped sheet metal, master main switch change-over way to go too but all the major league commercial electricians I know told me to roll with this set up. Glad I did.

Kids said beside what the generator spec sheet says they get 19 hours on a tank of fuel on econ setting.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Hard to get mine to far out of balance considering my backup is a Honda 2200I 😂 We're not affected by any SDG&E public safety outages --- YET.

While chatting with my dental hygienist recently, she mentioned since SDG&E has them on the PSPS list, they purchased a generator and had an electrician "Friend" come in and wire up an Essential Panel and gen outlet inside the garage. Thinking it odd the gen outlet was IN the garage I asked where they were going to setup and run the gen during outages ----- She replied, "In the garage" :eek: Trust me, despite her having both hands in my mouth, I stopped the session long enough to explain why that was a very bad idea.
My point being, due to these "Public Safety Power Shutoffs" there's a whole lot of folks purchasing and setting up backup generators who really shouldn't be playing with internal combustion engines or electricity. 🤯
Ya run two of the 2200i's in parallel and they are bad ass. Under heavy loads they don't break a sweat.
F7DFA0BC-D085-4CFA-A90E-D794D6D1F056.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Ya run two of the 2200i's in parallel and they are bad ass. Under heavy loads they don't break a sweat.
View attachment 961628

I've read that setup works great and have always considered the option. The hold up is necessity. Rarely lose power and on the rare occasion we have, by the time I get the cords out and the Honda fired up, the lights magically illuminate off the grid. I tend to view these occurrences as readiness checks 😁

HBCraig

Reaction score
@hallett21
@lbhsbz
@TPC

I believe my issue is that I need to just shit can my old ass panel and install a new one. I have been getting prices anywhere from $2800 - $4000

Any panel brands I should avoid?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've read that setup works great and have always considered the option. The hold up is necessity. Rarely lose power and on the rare occasion we have, by the time I get the cords out and the Honda fired up, the lights magically illuminate off the grid. I tend to view these occurrences as readiness checks 😁
If the Powerhorse 7500 pukes I'll try running the two Honda 2200's on the house.

When the Northridge earthquake hit we lost power for 2 weeks.

Wife just stepped into the house and is now in an all day zoom session with the medical powers she works for.
Back up power is essential for us.

Especially for me.
I'm watching the Thunderbirds episode where Parker the Butler took an undercover job as a bouncer at a Hotel bar.
He met Pinky Schnooks and I need to see how that develops.
The Thunderbirds crew installed a jet turbine on the Hillbillys Model T and they set out to find the imposters,,,, Can't miss that either.

A kids show where the characters pack and blow heads off with PPK's, drink Bacardi and smoke Luckys,, I ain't growing up, I'm in.
images

Last edited:

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Stock photo from the last blackout.
Here's this time:
: View attachment 961604
What's your thoughts on that 7500 workhorse? I was looking at those and thinking of doing something similar. I would need two of them paralleled to run my place or completely rewire the property. I know they can be paralleled. My thoughts are to go this way as they have inverters and after several personal incidents with brown outs in my area and people I know having generator power quality issues ...... Still thinking about it though. My other thoughts would be to try to find a used commercial backup generator that is on the cleaner end. This would allow me to go diesel which I always have in quantity on the property. Two of these would be quiet, easy, and straight forward. Also, if I ever move they go with me.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
View attachment 961628
Question about tying two units together like that....can you get 2 phases out of it or still just one? Also, so they have to be the same units or could I tie a 2200 and a 3500 together?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What's your thoughts on that 7500 workhorse? I was looking at those and thinking of doing something similar. I would need two of them paralleled to run my place or completely rewire the property. I know they can be paralleled. My thoughts are to go this way as they have inverters and after several personal incidents with brown outs in my area and people I know having generator power quality issues ...... Still thinking about it though. My other thoughts would be to try to find a used commercial backup generator that is on the cleaner end. This would allow me to go diesel which I always have in quantity on the property. Two of these would be quiet, easy, and straight forward. Also, if I ever move they go with me.

I wish it was natural gas capable.
Has good reviews. It is super quiet. Quieter than our HF 3500 Predator.

It's Chinese, has standard parts ya find on the HF Predator but no return policy. 800 number you call maybe they can step you through a problem.

Guys on line swear it's made in the same factory that supplies Honda with their larger Generators,, if that means anything.
I paid my money and taking my chances.

You have to only fill the fuel to the red level mark in the neck. Any higher and liquid gets drawn through a tiny vent line into the carbon EVAP CARB smog gismo and the generator will run bad. This is also why you don't fill it while it running.
Also is why the owners manual says leave the gas cap off for a few minutes after each refill to let any stray splashed liquid gasoline evaporate off.
Most important.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Question about tying two units together like that....can you get 2 phases out of it or still just one? Also, so they have to be the same units or could I tie a 2200 and a 3500 together?
I dunno.
At one time I knew all this and was well versed, now I forget.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I also would like to get a whole house generator.. The power has only been out twice since I've lived here, but it would be nice to have.

I'm sure this is a dumb question for the electricians here, but for just powering up the house (NO Air Conditioning etc). Can you just plug a 3500 directly into one of your wall circuits and feed it backwards?

RD

SixD9R

Reaction score
I also would like to get a whole house generator.. The power has only been out twice since I've lived here, but it would be nice to have.

I'm sure this is a dumb question for the electricians here, but for just powering up the house (NO Air Conditioning etc). Can you just plug a 3500 directly into one of your wall circuits and feed it backwards?

RD
You can do that but you would only be powering 1/2 of your house. Everything on the other side of the panel wouldn’t get any power. If you did that with a 240V like an electric clothes dryer outlet then your entire house would get power. It’s a pretty cheesy setup but a lot of people do it and it does work.
There is also the need to kill the main breaker so it doesn’t try to feed your entire street.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You can do that but you would only be powering 1/2 of your house. Everything on the other side of the panel wouldn’t get any power. If you did that with a 240V like an electric clothes dryer outlet then your entire house would get power. It’s a pretty cheesy setup but a lot of people do it and it does work.
There is also the need to kill the main breaker so it doesn’t try to feed your entire street.

Nice! I have a 240 outlet in my garage... So I could just run a chord to it and a chord to the generator? Like a male / male chord? (I'd have to make one I guess?)

Then put the generator outside and turn off the main? and the air-conditioning?

RD

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Nice! I have a 240 outlet in my garage... So I could just run a chord to it and a chord to the generator? Like a male / male chord? (I'd have to make one I guess?)

RD

That 3500 ain't running yore AC, unless it is a smallish mini split.

Ladsm

Reaction score

RD
Dave most generators are only 110v, your Diesel Pusher might put out 240V then you could make a suicide cord and plug your house into the motorhome with the Main turned off. If you made a 110volt suicided cord (Male-Male) and wired it into both hots you could do the same but shutoff the main and any 240v breakers like the AC and oven.

Taboma

Reaction score

Units must be same size Honda's, with the exception of SOME EU2000I companion units, depending on the serial number. Also, due to the 15A per circuit limitation, in order to properly utilize this parallel mode, one of the Gens needs to be the 30A companion model. That model (Setup as TPC's picture) has one 30 Amp receptacle and by using that you get the double output provided by the parallel connection. Otherwise, you're still limited to each gen having their 15 A circuit limitations (Breakers).

To answer your other question --- it's still 120V with one phase, just 30 Amp with the proper companion unit.

Honda Parallel operation.JPG

SixD9R

Reaction score

RD
Correct- you can do that as long as you are not drawing more amps (on either leg) than your generator can produce or the breaker on that circuit is rated for. And yes definitely turn off the main breaker before you power up the generator. Due to the possibility of back feeding the grid it’s not the safest thing to do but it does work. Maybe put a big sign on the generator to TURN OFF THE MAIN BREAKER.

squeezer

Reaction score

RD
Those are called "Suicide Cords" for a reason...

The cleanest whole house feed I have seen is this.

Feeds the entire house installs in minutes, (You do need to pull the meter so your power company has to be there) FIL has this and its great.

What size is the genset on your motorhome?

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Those are called "Suicide Cords" for a reason...

The cleanest whole hose feed I have seen is this.

Feeds the entire house installs in minutes, (You do need to pull the meter so your power company has to be there) FIL has this and its great.

What size is the genset on your motorhome?

Not in California --- GenerLink response to a inquiry on Home Depot

Generlink in Cal.JPG

hallett21

Reaction score
@hallett21
@lbhsbz
@TPC

I believe my issue is that I need to just shit can my old ass panel and install a new one. I have been getting prices anywhere from $2800 - $4000

Any panel brands I should avoid?

Post a photo of the panel if you have a chance.

With arc fault breakers panel swaps have gone up. 3k is a fair price assuming there’s no wild patching, repairs needed etc.

We do a lot of Siemens and Square D

hallett21

Reaction score

RD

Not sure what generators you already have. But a Honda EU 7000 would run the house (no AC in house. Maybe the garage mini splits)

Plus you can take that to the desert, run your merchandise trailer, power your stage at desert storm etc.

PlanB

Reaction score
Since you own what appears to be three 2200I's --- is there any advantage paralleling two non-companion (neither having a 30 A receptacle) gens ?

I have never tried that.

Taboma

Reaction score
I have never tried that.

What I was thinking at least in theory is --- when you parallel two of these Hondas, they synchronize, which allows that companion gen 30 Amp receptacle to combine the output of both.
So I thought, well, what if you make a "Y" cord, one that plugs into the 15A receptacle in each gen, then the conductors from the two cords connect paralleled to a single 30 Amp receptacle. Essentially, you've paralleled the load across two 15 amp breakers in parallel. Which I believe is exactly what the companion gen does. I suppose if you want to get fancy you could easily put fuse or breaker inline. Of course this only works if both gens are synched up, don't even try this otherwise.
Trying to create 240 using two generators is a no no as well, unless they're 180 degrees out of phase, which you won't achieve, so the voltage will be wonky.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
What I was thinking at least in theory is --- when you parallel two of these Hondas, they synchronize, which allows that companion gen 30 Amp receptacle to combine the output of both.
So I thought, well, what if you make a "Y" cord, one that plugs into the 15A receptacle in each gen, then the conductors from the two cords connect paralleled to a single 30 Amp receptacle. Essentially, you've paralleled the load across two 15 amp breakers in parallel. Which I believe is exactly what the companion gen does. I suppose if you want to get fancy you could easily put fuse or breaker inline. Of course this only works if both gens are synched up, don't even try this otherwise.
Trying to create 240 using two generators is a no no as well, unless they're 180 degrees out of phase, which you won't achieve, so the voltage will be wonky.
You have a 36 AMP potential behind the 30 AMP breaker. It doesn't brown-out when under heavy load or strenuous equipment restarts like RV AC cycling on a super hot day. Stays steady at 30 AMPS.

jeteater1

Jet boats suck
Reaction score
Getting ready to hook mine up . We have a good size fire in Mountain Center and power comes up through there from Hemet to our power co op. With 30 to 60 mph winds.