WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Any updates on the speed car?

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I don’t know for sure but I would imagine that would be public knowledge if he bought the building.

On the Wildcat XX front my guess would be yes. That is still their non turbo car.

I think there is also some parts carry over from the XX to the new car. The hub/bearing/rotor setup, the trailing arms, the rear axles, I think the front arms are the same but may be wrong on that with the 1 piece front diff thing.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
With so much anti-Chinese sentiment advocated and displayed here on RDP, I'm rather surprised at the rather non-controversial acceptance that these cars are having their parts sourced, produced and assembled by a Chinese owned company, Hisun.
Certainly I realize we're all driving SxS machines with Chinese parts and I'm not trying to stir up any anti-Robbie or Speed sentiment, but for some reason I had no idea up until reading this thread how Robbie was getting these cars manufactured.

I see that Hisun is another company who according to their "About" info on their website has manufactured other SxS or UTVs for other brands and decided to market their own under their own label.
Who's were they making and which models ??

Damn, their 1000 EPS two seater comes fully loaded for under $ 14K !!! But only one dealer in AZ, appears there's two in So Cal.

Is Robbie going to become a Hisun dealer as well ??

He has not said anything about selling Hisun vehicles.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I think there is also some parts carry over from the XX to the new car. The hub/bearing/rotor setup, the trailing arms, the rear axles, I think the front arms are the same but may be wrong on that with the 1 piece front diff thing.

I think the XX part carryover is 0. Recall that this car is also 77” wide, none of the suspension parts are the same. The steering is hydraulic. I know the hubs are bigger and new to handle the higher power level.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
I think the XX part carryover is 0. Recall that this car is also 77” wide, none of the suspension parts are the same. The steering is hydraulic. I know the hubs are bigger and new to handle the higher power level.

Sorry stock XX won't have as much carry over, but suspension mounting points I think are the same per RG patents so if one wanted to throw long travel on their XX, I *think* they could.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Every Polaris and Can am Is 40,000 parts and it takes them longer to bring a car to market. And when they do all of them have a shitload of problems with new cars. A Can Am needs $1000 worth of extra metal parts just to hold together for casual rides in the desert.

If the Speed car comes out and the hubs get loose and fall off, the clutches explode, the belts break, the steering rack fails, the wheel bearings lock up, and it catches fire, it will have been just as a successful of a debut as a RZR or Can Am.

Can Am and Polaris have set the bar pretty low. It is better than it was 4-5 years ago, but it still pretty low.

Honestly they way these SXS are built and based on what I’ve seen online and in person, I trust the Speed car over any Polaris or Can Am from a safety perspective. They are not even in the same ballpark.

Geiser is making aftermarket chassis for the 2 seat Can Ams now because the chassis simply ages out after hard use, or are junk after a single incident.

If the Speed car is late, it’s late. All the customers here said yes it sucks to wait, but we are willing to wait.

If your concern is it won’t perform as advertised that is a different discussion that we don’t yet have all the answers to.

If the concern is it is not going to be reliable, well that is why some people took a risk and reserved a car up front for a large discount. I don’t see anyone with any regrets at this time.
I didn’t spend 1000 on anything to make it more reliable. 1800 miles no failures. So far the can am is reliable. It’s never been to the shop. I have a 4 year warranty that’s never been used.
you guys that left deposits have more balls than I do. All 10000 of you.
now the safety factor on the speed car will be better, that is for sure.

Reactions: DWC

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I didn’t spend 1000 on anything to make it more reliable. 1800 miles no failures. So far the can am is reliable. It’s never been to the shop. I have a 4 year warranty that’s never been used.
you guys that left deposits have more balls than I do. All 10000 of you.
now the safety factor on the speed car will be better, that is for sure.

I'm not saying that to talk shit about any of the cars. I'm glad yours is solid, but my point was that ALL the cars have known problems and weak points. I'm sure the Speed car will have a couple of its own.

At the end of the day it was like playing a stock. Right now the stock is up, it is worth more than I paid for it.

Track Man

Reaction score
My son and I have one on order. I told my son he crazy to buy a car that’s not even built yet. We’re hoping to get it by summer. We live up here in the mountains and it’s nice up here in the summer. I love Havasu spring and fall but I have no idea how are you guys live down there at 120° in the summer.

702sandman

Reaction score
I honestly think that his biggest challenge will be when the engineering process happens and the engineers have to make changes to what Robbie has built to what they need to build to make the cost work. I think things will get changed in a direction that he doesn’t want But will have to in order to keep his price points. Just my 02. Cents. He builds a nice car but we will see when engineering gets ahold of it.

Reactions: D19

D19

Reaction score
I know a few people waiting for them. They all are stocked because they think they're going to buy the car and be done with it unlike the other SXS that need thousands of aftermarket mods. I think that's the whole sales pitch for the car.

I'm betting that will not be true. Everyone and their mom is going to try to make a buck off these cars. My BIL has an offer from an aftermarket company to use his car to make parts.

The bling will become available, aftermarket companies will make better replacement parts and soon enough these cars will be pushing sand rail/ dual sport prices or more.

I am sure they will be bad ass, but I'd rather pick one up after all the bugs have been worked out of them. I think a sand car is better investment.

BIGRED9158

Reaction score
I think if you like just going to glamis a sand car makes sense if you like going and riding different things then an sxs is what you want it all is expensive and it ads up no matter how you look at a toy hauler to fit a 4 seater can am is the same it would be to fit a sand car it’s just what makes sense too you and what type of riding your into

2Driver

Reaction score
Most major manufacturers find issues after production starts up on a new model.

Here you have a new car with only a few known prototypes, going into mass production by a company that hasn’t mass produced cars before with other sub assemblies that haven't been mass produced either.

Personally, I'd be happy being the 2,000th in line and using a RZR while I waited

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I honestly think that his biggest challenge will be when the engineering process happens and the engineers have to make changes to what Robbie has built to what they need to build to make the cost work. I think things will get changed in a direction that he doesn’t want But will have to in order to keep his price points. Just my 02. Cents. He builds a nice car but we will see when engineering gets ahold of it.

The car has already been "engineered" but I think the simple answer is that the MSRP is going to go up over time.

I think they may cut costs somewhat in the coming years as they fine tune the car design, and make other things better as they find out the weaknesses of the car over the long term.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Most major manufacturers find issues after production starts up on a new model.

Here you have a new car with only a few known prototypes, going into mass production by a company that hasn’t mass produced cars before with other sub assemblies that haven't been mass produced either.

Personally, I'd be happy being the 2,000th in line and using a RZR while I waited

That's why I waited. I'm sure there will be some toe stubbing on the first few hundred as they get assembly dialed in.

They will have built 1000 of these before they get to mine.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I know a few people waiting for them. They all are stocked because they think they're going to buy the car and be done with it unlike the other SXS that need thousands of aftermarket mods. I think that's the whole sales pitch for the car.

I'm betting that will not be true. Everyone and their mom is going to try to make a buck off these cars. My BIL has an offer from an aftermarket company to use his car to make parts.

The bling will become available, aftermarket companies will make better replacement parts and soon enough these cars will be pushing sand rail/ dual sport prices or more.

I am sure they will be bad ass, but I'd rather pick one up after all the bugs have been worked out of them. I think a sand car is better investment.

75% of the "parts" for SXS are for looks and do nothing for durability or performance.

Everyone will always want to put crap on these cars and personalize them. but you are correct on the sales pitch. It takes $20K to bulletproof and dial in a $30K Can Am.

I think you could dial in this car for $5-$7K for a significant net savings, literally just putting in your own radio, lights, mirrors, etc. But we will see if that holds true when it comes out.

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
The car has already been "engineered" but I think the simple answer is that the MSRP is going to go up over time.

I think they may cut costs somewhat in the coming years as they fine tune the car design, and make other things better as they find out the weaknesses of the car over the long term.

If they can produce a better product I think most would pay a higher price. People will still spend money on aftermarket equipment such as lights, radios... If you can buy a car that is mechanically sound off of the showroom floor though, you will be way ahead of the game.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
If they can produce a better product I think most would pay a higher price. People will still spend money on aftermarket equipment such as lights, radios... If you can buy a car that is mechanically sound off of the showroom floor though, you will be way ahead of the game.

This. Can Am and Polaris have left that door WIDE open for someone to come in and eat their lunch.

PlanB

Reaction score
75% of the "parts" for SXS are for looks and do nothing for durability or performance.

Everyone will always want to put crap on these cars and personalize them. but you are correct on the sales pitch. It takes $20K to bulletproof and dial in a $30K Can Am.

I think you could dial in this car for $5-$7K for a significant net savings, literally just putting in your own radio, lights, mirrors, etc. But we will see if that holds true when it comes out.

I should have read the entire thread before I posted. Pretty much said what I was thinking.

riverroyal

Reaction score
This. Can Am and Polaris have left that door WIDE open for someone to come in and eat their lunch.
but but,,,,you can buy a Can Am or Polaris off the showroom floor dialed in to your liking. You just adding accessories before you pick it up. You guys make it sound like Speed is ground breaking. Buy a 30k Can am or Polaris and throw 10k into it and your still less than the Speed. All you guys have said 'I added this, I added that, al a carte blah blah'. These no difference except the dealer does the install. Speed will be shipped with everything already bolted on

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
but but,,,,you can buy a Can Am or Polaris off the showroom floor dialed in to your liking. You just adding accessories before you pick it up. You guys make it sound like Speed is ground breaking. Buy a 30k Can am or Polaris and throw 10k into it and your still less than the Speed. All you guys have said 'I added this, I added that, al a carte blah blah'. These no difference except the dealer does the install. Speed will be shipped with everything already bolted on

Yes and a "dialed" Can Am from a dealer is $60-$65K.

Any car you are going to add lights, comms, stereo, windshield and storage to.

Here is what you DONT have to buy with a Speed
Aftermarket cage to equal safety of Speed car
Better seats - Speed has carbon fiber seats
5 point Harnesses - The Can Am and Rzr come with Ok harnesses, Speed has motorsport style harnesses.
Stronger arms - Can Am front lowers suck, rzr turbo S arms are OK.
Stronger radius rods - Speed has no radius rods that need upgrading
Good set of bead lock wheels and 32" tires - Rzr comes with non beadlocks, Can am comes with soft beadlocks that easily bend, and/or 30" big horns.
Maybe you won't need to get new springs and shock valving - remains to be seen
Want seat heaters? $125 a seat and they drop in to the stock seats

Not to mention you get to pick your own custom wrap with the Speed LE car.
How much does it cost to get a Can Am or RZR to 225 HP? What about 300HP?

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
good point. But 60 to 65? That seems steep. By time the Speed shows up I will be on my 3rd set of tires. :) 300hp is damn scary

You seen the fully done "kustom" cars sitting on the showroom floors? They are $60K easy (4 seaters) . Now, they usually have the radio, comms whips, lights etc.

Take the most expensive $40K Speed car.. It comes with the comms. Add your stereo, whips, lights, mirrors, whatever, you'll have it all for $50K and you'll save $10K.

PlanB

Reaction score
Yes and a "dialed" Can Am from a dealer is $60-$65K.

Any car you are going to add lights, comms, stereo, windshield and storage to.

Here is what you DONT have to buy with a Speed
Aftermarket cage to equal safety of Speed car
Better seats - Speed has carbon fiber seats
5 point Harnesses - The Can Am and Rzr come with Ok harnesses, Speed has motorsport style harnesses.
Stronger arms - Can Am front lowers suck, rzr turbo S arms are OK.
Stronger radius rods - Speed has no radius rods that need upgrading
Good set of bead lock wheels and 32" tires - Rzr comes with non beadlocks, Can am comes with soft beadlocks that easily bend, and/or 30" big horns.
Maybe you won't need to get new springs and shock valving - remains to be seen
Want seat heaters? $125 a seat and they drop in to the stock seats

Not to mention you get to pick your own custom wrap with the Speed LE car.
How much does it cost to get a Can Am or RZR to 225 HP? What about 300HP?

I am at about 55K right now with doing a lot of the labor myself, and I am looking at another 5 grand for ST shock valving / springs / sway bars as well as their steering rack. So, 60-65k is pretty much spot on (if not a little more). I still have the stock seats and harnesses (4 points) and that might change which will add more $$$. I would also not trust a dealer to do a lot of the stuff. I went with a builder who is more skilled at fabrication.

As far as power, on my RR a simple tune will get it to 225hp. A few aftermarket parts will get you to 260hp. An e-85 kit you get you to 300hp.

I will add, I would have preferred to start with a car that was more complete to begin with. I am not sure I would go down this rabbit hole again. Hopefully the Speed Car is everything advertised. It might be my next car if that's the case.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am at about 55K right now with doing a lot of the labor myself, and I am looking at another 5 grand for ST shock valving / springs / sway bars as well as their steering rack. So, 60-65k is pretty much spot on (if not a little more). I still have the stock seats and harnesses (4 points) and that might change which will add more $$$. I would also not trust a dealer to do a lot of the stuff. I went with a builder who is more skilled at fabrication.

As far as power, on my RR a simple tune will get it to 225hp. A few aftermarket parts will get you to 260hp. An e-85 kit you get you to 300hp.

I will add, I would have preferred to start with a car that was more complete to begin with. I am not sure I would go down this rabbit hole again. Hopefully the Speed Car is everything advertised. It might be my next car if that's the case.

Thanks for the insight. The power difference is not that big of a deal to be honest. The Can Am can get right there as you said with an exhaust and tune. Nothing big, it is just more $$.

And to be fair, and dialed car from the dealer is STILL not quite to the level your car is in my opinion.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
good point. But 60 to 65? That seems steep. By time the Speed shows up I will be on my 3rd set of tires. :) 300hp is damn scary

I also forgot the clutch is factory adjustable, so you can set it up for trails or dunes with no additional parts to buy and no disassembly. Also the trans is a 3 speed with overdrive and a sequential shift on the fly shifter. If you don't want the 300HP, just keep 91 pump in it, and roll around at 230HP.

Oh and the gas tank is about 15 gallons... Probably won't even need to carry spare fuel tanks around unless it is a really long trip.

I have not heard it in person with the OE exhaust, but I think it will be the quietest car on the market in this horsepower level based on the comments I've read.

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
. I still have the stock seats and harnesses (4 points) and that might change which will add more $$$.

If you change harnesses, look hard at the Simpsons D3 5 points. They are way easier 5 point harnesses to deal with. I would go that direction if I did it again over the defacto standard PRP harnesses. My PRP 5 points take forever to get on and are finicky.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
What’s the over under on what we see first, the Speed cars or the new Magic’s?
A new Magic has been running on Mead over a year now. (Test bed)
The lambo blue one will be out by summer, a friend of mine owns the blue one.
4BFDD302-1B65-41BF-B686-B28A16241965.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I am into my Speed care right around 43,000 right now.. I had more in my Can Am, but the Can Am had heated seats and a stereo.. If I added those two things (custom interior, not just adding seat heaters to their existing seats) I'd be pretty close.

I think the Speed car will be a far superior car when it's done even if I have the same money in it.. That video of the thing hitting those K rails was enough for me.. When they jumped it face first into the k rails, my can am would've been in pieces.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
What’s the over under on what we see first, the Speed cars or the new Magic’s?

Preston has sold every magic he's built already.. I thought he was stocking them, but they are all gone. He currently has one in the showroom, but people are already beating him up on buying it as well.. LOL

RD

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I am into my Speed care right around 43,000 right now.. I had more in my Can Am, but the Can Am had heated seats and a stereo.. If I added those two things (custom interior, not just adding seat heaters to their existing seats) I'd be pretty close.

I think the Speed car will be a far superior car when it's done even if I have the same money in it.. That video of the thing hitting those K rails was enough for me.. When they jumped it face first into the k rails, my can am would've been in pieces.

RD

That's true, but I'd argue that you don't even need the kustom interior, aside from your rear bench deal. The doors are already going to be built to accept speakers in them. A fabbed tin door is gonna be a downgrade.

I'd buy an aftermarket rear bench, sell your rear carbon seats and all 4 suede covers, then just have some matching front seat covers made that match the rear bench seat. You might not even be that much out of pocket.

I think I am all in at around $37K. That includes the GPS, comms, lights and mirrors I've already bought outside of my Speed options... A bunch of Black Friday specials.

PlanB

Reaction score
If you change harnesses, look hard at the Simpsons D3 5 points. They are way easier 5 point harnesses to deal with. I would go that direction if I did it again over the defacto standard PRP harnesses. My PRP 5 points take forever to get on and are finicky.

I already have two sets of PRP that were for another project. The only reason I have not put them in is the wife really likes the retractable ones. The PRP’s are more comfortable IMO than factory though.

37 boat

Reaction score
Received an email with my invoice to review and approve yesterday. Last weeks presentation Robby stated that payment would be required 30 days before delivery and that was a little scary. In the email it only mentions payment must be received prior to delivery and financing will be available 30 days prior. I really don't want to cut a check 30 days before a promised delivery date that could very possibly change. As far as delays go I still have my Can am which still puts a smile on my face every time I use it and has been extremely reliable (It has never been to the dealer for anything and I do all my own wrenching).

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
42k, 550 hp, 4 speed sequential trans. I have friends with 65k into can ams. I don’t get it. 65k would get me my car and a used rzr for havasu trails with enough $$ left over for hookers and blow.
F35FD0A4-4250-437A-B570-C2AADDB05180.jpeg

PlanB

Reaction score
^^^ That would be great for Glamis, but I don't go to Glamis anymore. I would rather have one car that can do what I want around Havasu. My buddy has a really nice Sandco, and he was just complaining about it the other day. I think he would be happier with a side x side.

DLC

Reaction score
Sweet. What’s he selling?

he sold his Porsche - gecko ( it was m&m green ) and his twin wacker toon bought a nice pad in Sedona... he didn’t even get the toon wet.... I can’t believe it!

• Wow

DLC

Reaction score
are you talking HAVASU hookers or VEGAS hookers.....
we need some pics to verify

QUOTE="ONE-A-DAY, post: 3979711, member: 4305"]
42k, 550 hp, 4 speed sequential trans. I have friends with 65k into can ams. I don’t get it. 65k would get me my car and a used rzr for havasu trails with enough $$ left over for hookers and blow.
View attachment 961919
[/QUOTE]

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Received an email with my invoice to review and approve yesterday. Last weeks presentation Robby stated that payment would be required 30 days before delivery and that was a little scary. In the email it only mentions payment must be received prior to delivery and financing will be available 30 days prior. I really don't want to cut a check 30 days before a promised delivery date that could very possibly change. As far as delays go I still have my Can am which still puts a smile on my face every time I use it and has been extremely reliable (It has never been to the dealer for anything and I do all my own wrenching).

That is when the pitchforks will come out, after people pay for their car. :)

I was thinking of this too and I may just finance it, then just pay it off upon delivery. I know the finance rate is probably going to be crappy, but just in case dates slip further I don’t want to have no car and be out the cash.

DMF

Reaction score
That is when the pitchforks will come out, after people pay for their car. :)

I was thinking of this too and I may just finance it, then just pay it off upon delivery. I know the finance rate is probably going to be crappy, but just in case dates slip further I don’t want to have no car and be out the cash.
This is my plan as well. Plus, I think the finance company might be a layer of protection to help make sure these financed vehicles are actually being delivered.

renodaytona

Reaction score
I like Walt's plan, that's why I bought this Tatum. It was a smokin deal and kept my commander in the family so I can use it any time. I'll eventually get a newer SXS but I'm set for now with the rail, SXS and quad.

Tatum 003.jpg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
im confused, payment before delivery? are you crazy? they are doing this?

I talked to speed yesterday when I added a few more options. They said my car would be done late feb / early March.
I asked them if I needed to pay the invoice now, and they said no. It is just a confirmation of what’s ordered.

they didn’t say it directly but I got the impression they are building the first couple hundred cars right now behind the scenes.

When they ask for the payment I am going to pay it.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I forget, not in the market, but what was the MSRP on the speed cars?

riverroyal

Reaction score
I talked to speed yesterday when I added a few more options. They said my car would be done late feb / early March.
I asked them if I needed to pay the invoice now, and they said no. It is just a confirmation of what’s ordered.

they didn’t say it directly but I got the impression they are building the first couple hundred cars right now behind the scenes.

When they ask for the payment I am going to pay it.
thats good news. I would assume chassis are well under way.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I like Walt's plan, that's why I bought this Tatum. It was a smokin deal and kept my commander in the family so I can use it any time. I'll eventually get a newer SXS but I'm set for now with the rail, SXS and quad.

View attachment 961985
I was out there yesterday testing the new to me car. Got a few issues to sort out with the handling. Other than that I cant keep the front wheels on the ground :)

Ed the Suspension guy is set up on Roadrunner, money well spent to have him set the car up, otherwise you will be chasing solutions for years. If you need his contact info let me know.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Preston has sold every magic he's built already.. I thought he was stocking them, but they are all gone. He currently has one in the showroom, but people are already beating him up on buying it as well.. LOL

RD
He is spot on for building : He builds the boat the way he wants , then the buyers come to him.
Best way to have creative control over a product to keep it in the image, mystique he wants for the brand.