WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Interviewing and Millennials

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I was recently tasked with building a new sales team that has direct line of site to my companies CEO. Mind you we’re publicly held and our CEO is an old school guy from a Fortune 50 company.

Out of 30 candidates so far I’ve been shocked at the crap my talent acquisition department has put into my pipeline. Beyond that, many of the things candidates have said in their interviews have been absolutely mind blowing.

During my most recent interview for a Sr. Role the candidate brought up their previous work history at an adult toy store and one of the skills on their resume had to do with sexual wellness education. How the hell do these people get past the front door and who the hell is coaching these people?

If you have a millennial child in the job market I would strongly encourage you to recommend some job coaching for them whether they’re just entering the job market or looking to take the next step in their career.

I’d love to hear some stories from other folks who’ve had similar experiences fishing in the millennial talent pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sintax

Reaction score
as a very early millennial and also someone whos hired them, I can tell you we're a giant pain in the ass. I refuse to cater to the BS, no matter what generation you're part of. Most of the people born later suffer from being coddled, and it shows. I had a job when I was 15 years old, and have held a job since (with some blips during college)

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Some of the stuff I see on resumes is mind-blowing.

One lady applied that had just graduated with her "Bachelorette's Degree" in women's studies. I also see a lot of applicants that apply that can't spell, have incorrect dates, or other nonsense like designs on their resume. Another thing I see a ton now is people that have 'worked' in rehab places.

Tip - have someone read your resume.

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
I've been teaching my kids about work ethic, honesty, and staying far away from drugs. They are going to blow their peers away once they hit the job market... so much that I am almost jealous.

The big thing I notice now is people passing a fucking drug test. Its not even about education anymore. I would take a person who never went to 1 day of school that could show up on time and pass a drug test over a masters degree who couldn't.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
What he said ^^^^^^

I tell my kids all you have to do is show up on time, ready to work and not say anything stupid and you will blow 90% of the competition away. LOL

In regards to hiring from the so-called talent pool out there I quite frankly don't want to look..... LOL

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I've been teaching my kids about work ethic, honesty, and staying far away from drugs. They are going to blow their peers away once they hit the job market... so much that I am almost jealous.

The big thing I notice now is people passing a fucking drug test. Its not even about education anymore. I would take a person who never went to 1 day of school that could show up on time and pass a drug test over a masters degree who couldn't.
we are running into the drug test issue at my work, we need warehouse guys and one of the first questions we ask is "can you pass a piss test?" 5 applicants showed up, 2 left as soon as we asked, the other 3, one never took the test, 1 failed and the other one we cant ahold of to hire him. all between 20-25 years old. its shocking to me.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
we are running into the drug test issue at my work, we need warehouse guys and one of the first questions we ask is "can you pass a piss test?" 5 applicants showed up, 2 left as soon as we asked, the other 3, one never took the test, 1 failed and the other one we cant ahold of to hire him. all between 20-25 years old. its shocking to me.

Is the test for weed? Or just hard drugs?

sintax

Reaction score

that was just my question when I read that. How does CA and now AZ being recreational play into things?

I heard of a company that bought a portland office and had to change their drug policy or they'd lose all of their software devs they just bought.... not that i'd condone such activities, but you know!

ltbaney1

Reaction score
that is actually something we are talking about right now, currently testing for weed as well. higher ups are checking to see if dropping weed and only testing for hard drugs does anything to insurance or anything like that. i dont care one way or another, some of the smartest people i know are huge into weed.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
that is actually something we are talking about right now, currently testing for weed as well. higher ups are checking to see if dropping weed and only testing for hard drugs does anything to insurance or anything like that. i dont care one way or another, some of the smartest people i know are huge into weed.

Yeah, same here. I usually tell people you like booze or you like weed or you like both, it doesn't really matter to me.

Just don't be a heavy boozer every night and tell me how bad recreational weed smokers are. Don't be a stoner and tell me how it's natural and then you light it on fire, inhale it, and go drive to work. Either one can affect someone's work product if used in excess.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
As a contractor all of the newbies wanted to start at the Sr level pay grade. Company has given in and has taken a shit as a result. Of the Sr guys bailed because we were babysitting guys at the same paygrade.

See ya ✌️

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I was recently tasked with building a new sales team that has direct line of site to my companies CEO. Mind you we’re publicly held and our CEO is an old school guy from a Fortune 50 company.

Out of 30 candidates so far I’ve been shocked at the crap my talent acquisition department has put into my pipeline. Beyond that, many of things the candidates have said in their interviews have been absolutely mind blowing.

During my most recent interview for a Sr. Role the candidate brought up their previous work history at an adult toy store and one of the skills on their resume had to do with sexual wellness education. How the hell do these people get past the front door and who the hell is coaching these people?

If you have a millennial child in the job market I would strongly encourage you to recommend some job coaching for them whether they’re just entering the job market or looking to take the next step in their career.

I’d love to hear some stories from other folks who’ve had similar experiences fishing in the millennial talent pond.

Same experience I had when involved in the hiring process for Deputy sheriff in the late 90's-early 2000's.
I was dealing with the egg and sperm donors of the people you are seeing in your pipeline.
The "parents" of your candidates.
Let that sink in, LOL.
They, too were clueless, and many had no idea exactly what a deputy sheriff was responsible for. Some hadn't even read the damn job description past the benefit package, and would walk into an oral interview where we were going to put them in a place to examine their thought process asking if they "would really have to work nights and weekends...and holidays...really, well...well I can't do that sorry"
State average was 1 in 100 that we could test, background, physical and shrink, then academy and FTO and get out the door a 18 months later as a solo deputy.

My 25 year old son is in a similar boat as you.
He manages a team of about 29-32 adults who are skilled blue collar guys with technical training that go into peoples homes . They drive company vehicles. Less than 50% will show up for the drug test, and just over half of those will pass. This is a job that starts at 20 an hour and they can make serious $ bonus by just working a little harder, he will train a person with the right aptitude and they are always down 3-4 positions, at a minimum.

People don't want jobs. They want a position, for which they will receive a fat check. This is what has come from fixing it so kids can't work someplace for a minimum wage that an employer can afford and learn what working is all about, what 15 and hour minimum wage is doing to the work force. There are no jobs for kids to learn about working anymore because emplyers can't afford to pay kids what they have to pay. They need adults, but those are few and far between as well.

farmo83

Reaction score
We're not allowed to use any capital letters in written communication as millennials are so used to communicating via text message and assume they are getting yelled at.

Work at Chevron

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Farm083 that is just insane. Insane. I am gonna share that one.

Floatin turd....well we had to make room for all them important classes in the curriculum, like gender studies, the white privilege classes...you know, the stuff tht matters. I mean history, physics...c'mon brother lets gt to the real facts...."what victim pool do you identify with", right?

rightytighty

Reaction score
Last summer, my son who had just finished 2nd year at NAU, got an internship with a big commercial construction company out of Phoenix to be a gopher for the project manager on a school build. I got a phone call from the kid on Day 1: “Dad- my boss just threw me into the water truck first thing and told me to go water the lot. The truck is a stick shift and I had no idea how to turn the water on, so I just had to figure that shit out. “ Lol! Stalled it several times and made a slight mud hole, but figured it out without hurting anything.

(I think that was a millennial IQ test by the boss)

Worked 70 hour weeks all summer. Made good money for the school year, and got a standing job offer for next summer. COVID 2020 was a pretty good year for him actually.

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
surprised you can actually interview them. most dont know how to hold a conversation.

77charger

Reaction score
As a contractor all of the newbies wanted to start at the Sr level pay grade. Company has given in and has taken a shit as a result. Of the Sr guys bailed because we were babysitting guys at the same paygrade.

See ya ✌
I seen the same things as a hot mopper I had years above everyone. I train (I mean babysit) a newbie second they learn they think they are worth my pay. It takes 6 months these days to let them go on their own at best as they are not motivated. When I learned I wanted my own truck ASAP these new guys want to just ride bitch do little as possible and get paid same. 🙈🙈

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
There’s at LEAST 75,000,000 people, many of them in a position to hire, that will vote the only way they can - by their financial decisions. I see a lot of them saying quietly to themselves, “ I’m not hiring anyone that even MIGHT be part of the other side “- it’s all going to backfire on the lib’s. What flies on CNN doesn’t in the real WORKING WORLD. Instead of pushing forward, they’ve caused us to go underground. In a few weeks/months, all you’ll have to do is see IF they have a FB or Twitter account. If they do, it’s an easy no. Ask them what they think of Presidents Day/Memorial Day and let them destroy themselves. I can tell you my industry can’t find people because we don’t start them at a wage they can afford to live on ( more than most in the company make after 10 years experience and grind !!). If they could pass the tests, and would accept the pay, we couldn’ get past the OBVIOUS TATS, nose rings, and hair colors - our customer base would revolt. We can’t say it, but it’s understood. Nepotism works because those kids have been schooled, but there aren’t near enough of them. I know, I sound old - i thought like this even when I was young. Started working at 8, and haven’t been unemployed 1 day in the last 55 years, many times holding down more than 1 job. I had a side hustle YEARS before the term was invented.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
There’s at LEAST 75,000,000 people, many of them in a position to hire, that will vote the only way they can - by their financial decisions. I see a lot of them saying quietly to themselves, “ I’m not hiring anyone that even MIGHT be part of the other side “- it’s all going to backfire on the lib’s. What flies on CNN doesn’t in the real WORKING WORLD. Instead of pushing forward, they’ve caused us to go underground. In a few weeks/months, all you’ll have to do is see IF they have a FB or Twitter account. If they do, it’s an easy no. Ask them what they think of Presidents Day/Memorial Day and let them destroy themselves. I can tell you my industry can’t find people because we don’t start them at a wage they can afford to live on ( more than most in the company make after 10 years experience and grind !!). If they could pass the tests, and would accept the pay, we couldn’ get past the OBVIOUS TATS, nose rings, and hair colors - our customer base would revolt. We can’t say it, but it’s understood. Nepotism works because those kids have been schooled, but there aren’t near enough of them. I know, I sound old - i thought like this even when I was young. Started working at 8, and haven’t been unemployed 1 day in the last 55 years, many times holding down more than 1 job. I had a side hustle YEARS before the term was invented.

At least for now, political beliefs and political party affiliation are not protected classes...

It could definitely be helpful factor in the hiring process.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I was born in 1989. The job interview process is screwed up on both sides. I hear a lot of companies hurting for help but just don't have the motivation or talent, to hire talent. Keeping my employment options open because of millennials. I'm not looking forward to the day when the cowboys in construction are no longer around. Background is commercial general contractor management and laboring on automotive dealerships and civil grading, paving, concrete, and retention basins. Pretty much know commercial dealerships, parking structures, and parking lots. Lot of companies glance through my resume then ask if I can lift 50lbs., work a full 8 hours, and have reliable transport. Not one has asked if I could read plans. I can read Architectural, Structural, Civil, and can cross reference them.

Dalton

Reaction score
millennials are between 25 and 40 years old

farmo83

Reaction score
millennials are between 25 and 40 years old

I can't stand this ! We used to be Gen Y before they lumped us into millenials. Born in 83.

We studied generational differences in grad school. In summary prof said anyone born during the Reagan years will be the last generation to play outside as children. After that internet came in and the millenials were born.

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Last summer, my son who had just finished 2nd year at NAU, got an internship with a big commercial construction company out of Phoenix to be a gopher for the project manager on a school build. I got a phone call from the kid on Day 1: “Dad- my boss just threw me into the water truck first thing and told me to go water the lot. The truck is a stick shift and I had no idea how to turn the water on, so I just had to figure that shit out. “ Lol! Stalled it several times and made a slight mud hole, but figured it out without hurting anything.

(I think that was a millennial IQ test by the boss)

Worked 70 hour weeks all summer. Made good money for the school year, and got a standing job offer for next summer. COVID 2020 was a pretty good year for him actually.

Congrats to your boy learning a manual transmission.

One interview I had consisted of towing a car, in a town I wasn't familiar with, in a 2½ ton wrecker, bringing it to a transmission shop, getting paid for the tow, (had to use the ph. # on the door to ask how much to charge) and finding my back to the office. Luckily local street maps were in the glove box. Returned with a check...potential new boss asked how I got a check from Terry? (was a monthly account) I talked to the new boss maybe 5 minutes before I was 'tested'. I guess I passed. Worked there ~5 years. This was back in '93.

Dan'l

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
We cannot find a good delivery driver to save our lives. We have one but the company is too big and needs a second, more like an assistant like position. We had one really good one that could work at the pace and deal with the prodding and joking. Really a good dude and everybody enjoyed having him around. He left cause he enlisted, cant really fault the guy for that reason. Since then we had one that was a little odd but hustled his ass off and was very respectful but could not deal with a typical jobsite joking and direction so he quit in frustration. Now we hired a guy that was a Marine. Thinking cool, he's used to tough situations and hard superiors..... he's as dumb as a box of rocks and cowers whenever anybody looks at him crossed. Its pretty pathetic.

Reactions: DWC

rightytighty

Reaction score
Congrats to your boy learning a manual transmission.

One interview I had consisted of towing a car, in a town I wasn't familiar with, in a 2½ ton wrecker, bringing it to a transmission shop, getting paid for the tow, (had to use the ph. # on the door to ask how much to charge) and finding my back to the office. Luckily local street maps were in the glove box. Returned with a check...potential new boss asked how I got a check from Terry? (was a monthly account) I talked to the new boss maybe 5 minutes before I was 'tested'. I guess I passed. Worked there ~5 years. This was back in '93.

Dan'l
Life really is just a series of tests, isn’t it?

JDKRXW

Reaction score

See ya ✌️

Do you blame him for leaving?

C-2

Reaction score
Had a kid transfer over to our non-sworn law enforcement agency. The agency has a longstanding monthly "performance goal" which is hard to achieve. Kid saw the stress everybody went thru and realized everybody worked their asses off, including working off the clock to meet the goal.

He told the supervisor he wouldn't even try to hit the monthly goal; he would work at his own pace. Also said the performance goal is a quota and is illegal and thus the reason the agency did not put it in writing.

Then one day the supervisor produced the monthly goal in writing. DOH!

Kid left two weeks later because he was being recruited by the FBI. (W-T-F)

To boot, he compared his skillset to mine, and I have more experience than he was old! (he is 27, I've been doing it for 32-years).

And not surprisingly - the FBI lost interest in him.

At least try, you pussy.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
This entire thread actually scares the crap out of me and it's why at nearly 60yrs old I have been working double shifts at least 6 days a week for the last few years...I need some help, I would love to hire some help but with only a few working years left in me is it worth risking all I have built, bought and saved for absolutely not. It's a shame to me that all this knowledge will not be passed on, I have been involved with CAD since the inception of the PC and have used most every package out there, I have designed everything from the G3 CDMA base band processor (chip that runs G3 CDMA cell phone) to several research reactors for General Atomics and allot of the automated process equipment for HP to produce ink jet cartridges and was part of 4 man team that were the first to demonstrate over 500 tv channels over fiber which is why you now have VOD at home. 20 years ago retiring to Havasu to what I thought was going to be a slower pace of life, boy was I ever wrong about that LOL some 2000 homes later. but this is what saddens me it's not just me but many my age that will not be passing on their knowledge and experience because of what our society has produced. it's amazing to me the lack of work ethic out there and how many are just looking to get a free ride off someone(workers comp/unemployment/law suit). It scares me for our future and how are we to progress if work ethic, knowledge and skill sets are not passed down. I know everything I have learned over a lifetime is going to end up in grave with me :(

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Back in my previous career, I’d gotten calls from angry parents asking why I didn’t hire their kid.

We had kids show up for interviews...with their fucking parents.

We had parent call to try and renegotiate salaries after we hired their kids. Or to ask for raises for their kids.

We’ve had kids ask to make or take phone calls in their interviews.

People have lost their damn minds...I’m just glad that I don’t work in corporate anymore. Fuck that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2Driver

Reaction score
God help me !

I had to run an ad in the Facebook market place to sublet my son's ASU housing for the semester.

90% of the questions I'm getting from students to rent it are plainly answered in the ad.

Is it furnished ..... yes, it says that in ad
Does it have in room laundry ....yes, it says that in the ad
Is it all 4 bedrooms for that price or just one room..... didn't bother answering that one.
A girl calls to say she wants it..... Ahhh, it's a male only quad housing room, see where is says MALE in caps.

Last edited:

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
What do we expect....lol

These kids were raised by a Cocaine/weed loving generation that were too busy working, partying or getting divorced to spend time with there kids.

These kids were lied to by there parents and told to expect easy success. What they really needed was a boot in the ass and love

They go to college for 7 years get a BS degree and find out they can't afford a 2k per month apartment and a $500 corolla payment on 35k a year.

Lets not forget why generations are changing.....Parenting and role models are at an all time shit show level. I know a bunch of successful hard working millennials. Its the next couple "cell phone/social media" generations that are truly going to doom this country.

Warlock1

Reaction score
that was just my question when I read that. How does CA and now AZ being recreational play into things?

I heard of a company that bought a portland office and had to change their drug policy or they'd lose all of their software devs they just bought.... not that i'd condone such activities, but you know!
One nice thing about AZ is the way they have their marijuana laws written. If you fail a drug test based on marijuana you cannot get fired for it, unless you are actively high. As long as you have a medical marijuana card. If you don't have the card then I'm not sure how they will handle that.

SummitKarl

LHC Architect
Reaction score
One nice thing about AZ is the way they have their marijuana laws written. If you fail a drug test based on marijuana you cannot get fired for it, unless you are actively high. As long as you have a medical marijuana card. If you don't have the card then I'm not sure how they will handle that.
well the FED's still have a lock on that one in places you still need a card, you have a pot card you have no gun rights as they will not process your FFL to purchase any weapon nor will you pass a CCW background check

traquer

Reaction score
well the FED's still have a lock on that one in places you still need a card, you have a pot card you have no gun rights as they will not process your FFL to purchase any weapon nor will you pass a CCW background check
So someone who got a CA weed card years ago can't get a CCW now ever?

Spudsbud

Reaction score
yea......

Screenshot_20210114-151046_Gmail.jpg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So someone who got a CA weed card years ago can't get a CCW now ever?

Probably going to depend on the county.. but they ask you if you've ever done any drugs. If you say no and they see you had a weed card, you might get bounced.

traquer

Reaction score
Probably going to depend on the county.. but they ask you if you've ever done any drugs. If you say no and they see you had a weed card, you might get bounced.
Makes sense and this was something I told a few people. Some didn't listen

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
The biggest issue with the weed cards and guns is filling out your 4473 when buying from a dealer. Question 21E. references the use of controlled substances, since it is a federal form and weed is still federally legal, answering yes precludes you from buying, answering no with a weed card is lying on a federal form.

Dettom

Reaction score
Same experience I had when involved in the hiring process for Deputy sheriff in the late 90's-early 2000's.
I was dealing with the egg and sperm donors of the people you are seeing in your pipeline.
The "parents" of your candidates.
Let that sink in, LOL.
They, too were clueless, and many had no idea exactly what a deputy sheriff was responsible for. Some hadn't even read the damn job description past the benefit package, and would walk into an oral interview where we were going to put them in a place to examine their thought process asking if they "would really have to work nights and weekends...and holidays...really, well...well I can't do that sorry"
State average was 1 in 100 that we could test, background, physical and shrink, then academy and FTO and get out the door a 18 months later as a solo deputy.

My 25 year old son is in a similar boat as you.
He manages a team of about 29-32 adults who are skilled blue collar guys with technical training that go into peoples homes . They drive company vehicles. Less than 50% will show up for the drug test, and just over half of those will pass. This is a job that starts at 20 an hour and they can make serious $ bonus by just working a little harder, he will train a person with the right aptitude and they are always down 3-4 positions, at a minimum.

People don't want jobs. They want a position, for which they will receive a fat check. This is what has come from fixing it so kids can't work someplace for a minimum wage that an employer can afford and learn what working is all about, what 15 and hour minimum wage is doing to the work force. There are no jobs for kids to learn about working anymore because emplyers can't afford to pay kids what they have to pay. They need adults, but those are few and far between as well.
This^^^

Dettom

Reaction score
When I was an FTO (field training officer) I had some good troops, mostly just out of the service. Those were the ones who were used to being told what to do and could function if things went sideways. I had a few others though, that were hired for social justice reasons. They were lops. Most, wrote reports like they talked. Example: “I arrived at the location approximately three minutes later” vs, “I burley got there in time to what was goin’ down”.