WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anyone have a Maserati Ghibli...pros and cons???

blue wonder

Reaction score
Looking at a CPO right now...it’s a 2017 with 35k on it...curious if anyone has one and if they like it and the good, bad and ugly about them...I know service is expensive but I already got a Benz so kinda used to that already

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Check with your insurance company. We had to give them a special rate factor even on the standard ones that have the base jeep motor and the rates sucked.

No hands on experience i just thought the insurance rates for a regular car with a fancy name were kind of ridiculous.

sintax

Reaction score
I got a bit turned off on Maserati when someone was telling me about how much of the platform and parts is shared with dodge / Chrysler cars.

on the upside, you can get cheap parts at the dodge dealer?

LuauLounge

Reaction score
I've got a 2015 GranTurismo that I bought in early 2017. Only issue was the front suspension that they replaced under warranty. Other than that been flawless. Ready for new tires (Ouch).

bk2drvr

Reaction score
My sister had one for about a year and then got rid of it. She bought a lease return with very low miles. Nice car but the issue was cost of ownership. If you rely on dealers for service you will need to brace yourself for the price of even simple repairs. I think she spent $800 on a battery replacement. Her 30k service was $3000.00. Indy shops didn't want to touch the car so her only option for service in OC was the Ferrari, Mazzerati, Porsche dealer in Newport Beach. Get the picture?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Con - Any car that depreciates 50% in 36 months...

Pro - ...is a great used car value...

Con - ...unless repair costs are astronomical

Maserati repair costs are generally quite high, and quite frequent.

Models with conventional torque-converter automatics tend to be more reliable than their other offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pronstar

Reaction score
I got a bit turned off on Maserati when someone was telling me about how much of the platform and parts is shared with dodge / Chrysler cars.

on the upside, you can get cheap parts at the dodge dealer?

Yeah they’re total parts-bin vehicles.
For better or for worse...and since that parts bin is Chrysler/Fiat, I’m not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

blue wonder

Reaction score
I can afford a new one if I wanted one but as previously stated the depreciation is crazy, I’d rather buy a couple years old and let someone else take the hit...I’ve owned a BMW and currently have a Benz so I understand the service costs...my biggest thing is the reliability of them cause it’s gonna be the wife’s car and I don’t want something that’s gonna leave her stranded on the side of the road

Tank

Reaction score
We owned a Gran Sport a few years back. Had the Ferrari 360 motor in it. We got it on a deal and only had it about a year because I did NOT want to deal with any major repairs.

Our neighbors own a Maserati dealership. Our daughter wanted a Ghibli and they couldn't talk her out of it fast enough! Then my wife was thinking about getting a Ghibli and again they were like, NO! But then I said, what if we lease it and its fully covered? And they said, that's the only way. They are underpowered and high maintenance costs from what I gathered.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
Looking at a CPO right now...it’s a 2017 with 35k on it...curious if anyone has one and if they like it and the good, bad and ugly about them...I know service is expensive but I already got a Benz so kinda used to that already
co-worker had a Gran Tourismo. He always complained that it was not worth "Ferrari" prices for service.

traquer

Reaction score
I'd get a Bimmer instead! Almost as fun and cool, but there's an independent BMW shop in every city and the platforms/engines are all common. Just stay away from the older non-turbo V8 engines like in the previous gen X5 and 7 series those suck.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Old boss has the first year quattroporte. He drives it a few times a week. Fast fun car especially before they got rid of the f1 gearbox. He lost oil pressure on the freeway and it destroyed itself before he could shut it down. Was able to replace the motor with one out of a totalled newer car. Still big $$$. There is a good maserati ferrari repair shop in mission Viejo that can help with the repair costs.

pronstar

Reaction score
Hoovies Garage has a few vids of his experiences buying "the cheapest Maserati in the USA"...the issues are common for the brand

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I'd go Porsche Panamera......
The interiors are amazing, some don't like the styling but I think they are bitchen and have a ton of room for the family.
Looking heavily at getting a mint 1st gen Panamera Turbo. With a warranty :D At least a GTS if I can't swing a clean Turbo

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
If you can't afford a new maserati you definitely can't afford a used one....same like BMW

Lol. There’s some truth to that.

That being said I can’t imagine a car that’s more fun to drive for the money than my 550. Maintenance is spendy but if you find a good mechanic, still cheaper than owning a “new” car.

9F930614-DF5E-4707-9DCE-BECF6479661F.jpeg

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
Maserati service is crazy expensive and expect brakes and tires yearly.

gqchris

Reaction score
Maserati service is crazy expensive and expect brakes and tires yearly.

So. This is true with thie Ghiblis. They are very Chrysler based. They eat brakes for some reason too! Once a year Jeff is correct! They are a blast to drive. The twin turbo is super fun. I had an ex who leased one. The motor shit the bed at 9k miles. Maserati stood behind it of course, but irritating.

Now if you want the last true car of the brand, go with a GT. Thats what I chose. Its still has a Ferrari 4.3 motor and Pinnafarina design. Service is super easy to do at home. The last of the real cars. ZF tranny. Has been 100% reliable. Mine stickered at 170k its a 2016. I bought it used for 52k two yrars ago with 9k miles. Love the car. Carbon Fiber al over. I have a real good independent exotic mechanic if anyone needs. But to be honest the car is built easy to work on. Ghibilis not so much!!

IMG_2953.JPG

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
We have a 2014 BMW N63u (445 HP) 550i we bought CPO at roughly 40% of sticker. It is driven pretty much everyday and we’ve since put 55,000 miles on it. It’s been an awesome car and we’ve had almost zero issues. We use an Indy mechanic and just take It in when the dash lights tell us to do so. Nothing more. We’ve maybe spent $4,000 on it over the last 3 plus years for service, tires, brakes and miscellaneous.

it’s got the 8 speed transmission and is actually fun to drive despite the fact that it’s an auotomatic.

FA8A5664-DE89-422D-9B32-56BFB0DEBED1.jpeg

Last edited:

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Having driven a Ghibli for about 1K was enough for me.
Prefer the Jag XF. Jag, to me, was quicker throttle response, acceleration was faster, brakes lasted longer, interior fit/finish was nicer
Get a typeR if you want a crazy bitch...

lbhsbz

Reaction score
So. This is true with thie Ghiblis. They are very Chrysler based. They eat brakes for some reason too! Once a year Jeff is correct! They are a blast to drive. The twin turbo is super fun. I had an ex who leased one. The motor shit the bed at 9k miles. Maserati stood behind it of course, but irritating.

Now if you want the last true car of the brand, go with a GT. Thats what I chose. Its still has a Ferrari 4.3 motor and Pinnafarina design. Service is super easy to do at home. The last of the real cars. ZF tranny. Has been 100% reliable. Mine stickered at 170k its a 2016. I bought it used for 52k two yrars ago with 9k miles. Love the car. Carbon Fiber al over. I have a real good independent exotic mechanic if anyone needs. But to be honest the car is built easy to work on. Ghibilis not so much!!

View attachment 962422
$120K in depreciation in 2 years? Fuck. Must be a quality piece.

floatn turd

Reaction score

The neighbor a few houses down has a white one for sale.
I can take a picture of his 4 sale sign and the car itself if you want.

gqchris

Reaction score
$120K in depreciation in 2 years? Fuck. Must be a quality piece.

Its a quality piece as far as I am concerned. Lots of vehicles lose their ass in the first two years.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I'd go Porsche Panamera......
The interiors are amazing, some don't like the styling but I think they are bitchen and have a ton of room for the family.
Looking heavily at getting a mint 1st gen Panamera Turbo. With a warranty :D At least a GTS if I can't swing a clean Turbo

This x1000. Used Panameras are dirt cheap as well, but the quality is supremely better.

I’ve been casually looking for a 5-6 year old GTS or Turbo, but if the right couple year old Sport Tursimo popped up I’d probably go for it.

7A26DABC-83A0-493C-B0E6-5C7B4CABE806.jpeg

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

View attachment 962422

Well played.