WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is this Gel Coat or epoxy bilge paint ?

Groper

Reaction score
Pulled the motor and started on the bilge, this stuff was flaking in a few spots so pulled up on and it came right up it's thick stuff the grey underneath I'll assume is Gel-Coat and trany fluid and or gas got underneath it and started the bubbling.

It looks like it was added after all the rigging was completed as you can see where it comes up the sides of the large strut washers.

Q: clean it up and leave the grey underneath or scrape it all up remove all the nuts & washer from the hardware and roll on bilge epoxy paint ?

20210115_191718.jpg
20210115_191826.jpg
20210115_191838.jpg

Disclaimer: I know I should have put this in the Fiberglass/Gelcoat section but it's crickets over there.

Last edited:

lenmann

Reaction score
I would clean it up and leave the gray gelcoat.

If you decide to recoat it, bilge coat or gel coat, you are going to need to address the adhesion issue. It will need to be de-greased, cleaned, and then sanded or the same thing will happen again.

BassLakeCruiser

Reaction score
Putting in a new bullet or just hardware check for piece of mind? You just picked this thing up end of summer right? @Groper

Groper

Reaction score
I would clean it up and leave the gray gelcoat.

If you decide to recoat it, bilge coat or gel coat, you are going to need to address the adhesion issue. It will need to be de-greased, cleaned, and then sanded or the same thing will happen again.
Yes removing the yellow on the floor and cleaning it up and leaving the gray.

Putting in a new bullet or just hardware check for piece of mind? You just picked this thing up end of summer right? @Groper
New motor, going through the trans this week and re-gear, carpet & int. and yes about two months ago.