WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gopher eradication

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Did a search in the lounge:
Not much
I know water doesn’t work. I’ve done road flares, .22 air rifle sniping , in ground traps
I have about 1/4 acre I need to knock down on these bastards before spring. Neighbor has adjacent acre of open land and they burrow right into my yard

Open to all ideas....
I know one can do over 100 surface holes. I have at least 4 based on my observations of hole “groupings”

Post away 🤣

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Not "legal"...for use in Cali. The parks/city guys up here had a badass thing. Looked like a metal detector, with a hose to a propane tank! Cover a hole, initiate gas sequence, push the bbq lighter piezo electric button...boom! Get smoke and sometimes flames out of other holes. They got in trouble by management for posting vids, so it got locked up.

I'm sure a guy of your background can get some MacGuyver equivalent setup fairly easy.

4Waters

Reaction score
Not "legal"...for use in Cali. The parks/city guys up here had a badass thing. Looked like a metal detector, with a hose to a propane tank! Cover a hole, initiate gas sequence, push the bbq lighter piezo electric button...boom! Get smoke and sometimes flames out of other holes. They got in trouble by management for posting vids, so it got locked up.

I'm sure a guy of your background can get some MacGuyver equivalent setup fairly easy.
You mean this? He would have too much fun with this🤣🤣

DLC

Reaction score
I use water.....it’s a process

flood all the holes in the afternoon like 3-5pm before dark the little F’r with go around to all open hole and plug em back up with dirt when that happens flood em again and he will pop up out of the ground then hit him over the head with a shovel.

DWC

Reaction score
traps seem to be the only way that works for me ..... you can get a rodinater which would get rid of them pretty quick and fun too but it's expensive
X2 on the trap. Poison, water, mower hooked up to a dryer duct doesn’t seem to work. Had a little success with 6 flairs and shop vac on blow. Couldn’t ditch the last couple until i trapped them. Use gloves to hide the scent. Put some veggies in and wait.

DLC

Reaction score
I have one of these also, hook the boot over exhaust pipe turn on car put other end of garden hose in gopher hole

DB7A3A83-44E4-464D-8C74-A2B6D67188B4.jpeg

DWC

Reaction score
I have one of these also, hook the boot over exhaust pipe turn on car put other end of garden hose in gopher hole

View attachment 966192
I gotta look for one of those. Pretty sure my neighbor (5 houses down) breeds gophers. F’g guys lawn is a mess. They make it down here once every 12-18 mos. My job is to make sure i get them before it makes it to my 89yr old neighbors house. She’s not a fan of gophers.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
I

I have done it many times Back where "You are on your Own" Use a propane tank with a hose stick the hose down as far as you have hose length, then just crack the valve a bit and comeback in the morning or some time later. The Propane Zaps their lungs or ? and they will be on the surface. Problem solved.

No need to Cause an explosion or Draw attantion yourself. This is quiet and Ultra effective.

HotRod82

Reaction score

View attachment 966192

I bought a hi temp 1.5" industrial hose and hooked it to my diesel tractor and was surprised how ineffective it was...then I hooked it up to my 56 Ford pickup and it works incredibly well! I guess the rich running carb combined with no Catalytic converter does a great job of displacing the oxygen.
God I hate gophers.

gqchris

Reaction score
I use water.....it’s a process

flood all the holes in the afternoon like 3-5pm before dark the little F’r with go around to all open hole and plug em back up with dirt when that happens flood em again and he will pop up out of the ground then hit him over the head with a shovel.

X2. This worked for me last time. I tried everything else. Waited about an hour and thr fucker popped up. I blasted him with air rifle 2x, didnt phase him. Shovel to head was the winner. I also hung him up for others to see. No problems since then!

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Get this and I guarantee you will get 1 in 24 hrs. It’s the only trap that will.

You need to dig the mound out till you find the hole. Then set the trap with the open end in the hole and keep the back side open to light. Then cover the sides. Works like a charm.

75F33081-515C-4EC3-8F3E-2601D4809FA4.png

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

lenmann

Reaction score
Cinch traps and a regular program work for me. I live on 10 acres in the country and gophers are just part of living here. That said they can be managed if you are diligent in eradicating them when they show up. In my neck of the woods (NorCal) they are most active in the spring and fall. I work a perimeter program, when they start mounding about 200' out I set the Cinch traps. There is a bit of a technique to using the traps but once you figure it out they are pretty sure fire. They key to the program is to respond when you first see the mounds, wait too long and they multiply like crazy. Oh, and when you kill one, release it from the trap and bury it in the hole. Sends a message to the off-spring that there are better times outside the 200' perimeter.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
I tried everything for those lil bastards. Flooding the holes.. smoke bombs.. granules. Finally just bought some of these and had the culprit with 20 mins
Screenshot_20210124-225932_Chrome.jpg

arch stanton

Reaction score
looks like this worked for this guy

This guy used and oxygen acetylene torch you get a neutral flame then knock it in the dirt to knock out the flame and then fill the hole, as you can see it really is to explosive to be used around anything of value but is fun in an open field. The propane one does not add oxygen so the explosion is way less destructive. I want to try the exhaust from a lawn mower it should work well. I have good luck with the traps I leave the hole open but cover with wood leaving space for light to enter and I do not push the trap all the way into the holes, also use a little grass on the trap were the gopher will crawl and a citrus leaf crushed and put behind the paddle to hide your sent it also helps to rub on your hands.
You also need to make sure the traps are sensitive enough they are not all the same a little bending or filling of the catch may be needed if the gopher pushes dirt over the trap and it does not spring you can be sure it needs adjusting also tie a string to the traps then around a stake you don't want the little bastards pulling your trap way down the hole.
There is some satisfaction pulling the dead little bastards out of the hole and releasing them into a trash can. once I get one I will reset trap in the exact same spot and sometimes get another one I keep resetting until 4 or so days with no activity.

Bob Bitchen

Reaction score

They are called the "Rodenator". They are a little pricy but fun as hell. They fill the hole with oxygen and propane and light it with the peso lighter in the tip.
http://rodenator.eu/

Sorry for the VIN

wash11

Reaction score

LowRiver2

Reaction score
X2 on the trap. Poison, water, mower hooked up to a dryer duct doesn’t seem to work. Had a little success with 6 flairs and shop vac on blow. Couldn’t ditch the last couple until i trapped them. Use gloves to hide the scent. Put some veggies in and wait.
I’ve used the traps (shove in hole), it does work, just takes several days to get one.
I may just have to continue with more traps.
My gophers rarely come above ground and I get dirt mounds to shoot through.
While shooting is fun, too much time for me to sit and wait , lol.

Reactions: DWC

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I tried everything for those lil bastards. Flooding the holes.. smoke bombs.. granules. Finally just bought some of these and had the culprit with 20 mins View attachment 966218
I have these
I’ve had some luck with them but some of these bastards know something’s up and burrow past it, lol.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Cinch traps and a regular program work for me. I live on 10 acres in the country and gophers are just part of living here. That said they can be managed if you are diligent in eradicating them when they show up. In my neck of the woods (NorCal) they are most active in the spring and fall. I work a perimeter program, when they start mounding about 200' out I set the Cinch traps. There is a bit of a technique to using the traps but once you figure it out they are pretty sure fire. They key to the program is to respond when you first see the mounds, wait too long and they multiply like crazy. Oh, and when you kill one, release it from the trap and bury it in the hole. Sends a message to the off-spring that there are better times outside the 200' perimeter.

I have another 1/4-1/2 acre Of space to defend. If you have 10 acres, I can’t complain lol.

I’ll order some of these and try them.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Thats one way to turn the soil🤣 "Hay babe, I'm done rototilling"
I have a friend who “may” have done this in his avocado groves in the IE. No more gophers (allegedly)🤣

I have active oil lines running through my land that I get a monthly check for them being there . While they are down a decent depth, I’m not losing my extra income (cracking a pipe), over gophers , lol!
And pretty sure I’d ruin my sprinkler lines ha ha

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. and experiences with these lil’ bastards.
I will order more traps today, along with a Bill Murray Caddyshack hat, and get to work🤣

Mikes56

Reaction score
I have tried everything and the only thing that I have found that works is the Exterminator that I use. The company’s name is Enviroworx. He opens a small hole in the gopher mound and drops cyanide pills into the gopher hole. He covers it back up and the moisture in the dirt dissolves the pills and the hole fills with cyanide gas. It’s completely safe for pets and people. The gopher(s) are dead before the next day. He guarantees his work and will come back for free within 30 days. The owners name is Paul, call him at (818) 342-6674.

Don't waste your time trying anything else.

Instigator

Just Livin up to My Name
Reaction score
Gopherheaven.com
It is a single cyl gas engine mounted on an upside down stainless dog bowl with the exhaust plumbed into it. You simply set the bowl over the hole and start the engine and it fills the hole tunnel system with carbon monoxide and poisons them to death in the tunnels. No mess to fuss.
The guy sells them to golf courses and makes a killing.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
I have a friend who “may” have done this in his avocado groves in the IE. No more gophers (allegedly)🤣

I have active oil lines running through my land that I get a monthly check for them being there . While they are down a decent depth, I’m not losing my extra income (cracking a pipe), over gophers , lol!
And pretty sure I’d ruin my sprinkler lines ha ha
Tell me your friends name isn’t Glen, lol.

My neighbor and I were having a gopher problem. Her Gardner planted decorative garlic.
No more gophers.
I don’t think it would work on a large parcel, her lot and mine are about 1/4 acre each.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
Tell me your friends name isn’t Glen, lol.

My neighbor and I were having a gopher problem. Her Gardner planted decorative garlic.
No more gophers.
I don’t think it would work on a large parcel, her lot and mine are about 1/4 acre each.
No comment ......🤣

Taboma

Reaction score
Pretty obvious, there's a lot of " what works best" opinions. Been whacking these suckers for the past 30 years trying to control their numbers on my property.
My conclusion is, " Some things will work some of the time, but nothing works all the time " I actually picture them attending avoidance training.

Here's a link to a pdf put out by U of CAL Ag dept. you might find interesting --- actually the almond growers have some good info as well if you do a search.

port austin pirate

Reaction score
tried most of the methods, the one that worked best for me was blackhole traps, didnt have much luck with metal traps gassers ect, good luck

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
A buddy of mine had one of his guys do the whole propane thing and lit it. 2 gophers came out of the holes on fire and ran directly into neighbors hay field. Turned into a big deal with the fire department.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Did a search in the lounge:
Not much
I know water doesn’t work. I’ve done road flares, .22 air rifle sniping , in ground traps
I have about 1/4 acre I need to knock down on these bastards before spring. Neighbor has adjacent acre of open land and they burrow right into my yard

Open to all ideas....
I know one can do over 100 surface holes. I have at least 4 based on my observations of hole “groupings”

Post away 🤣

I thought you dealt with bombs for a living...

Seems you likely have the skills for this situation.

Video will be appreciated.

67Charger

Reaction score
Just bought a GopherHawk... I'll report back. Those stupid things are a thorn in my side.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
I thought you dealt with bombs for a living...

Seems you likely have the skills for this situation.

Video will be appreciated.
I posted in the thread I have oil lines below the surface

Not worth cracking my $200+ a month check I get from oil co. Over some gophers.
The rodenator works for sure, just not with the risk

Taboma

Reaction score
This worked for my gophers also.

View attachment 966361

Success or failure with this trap style is solely dependent on the type of soil and moisture content. Meaning, they work awesome is certain types of soil, but not worth a shit in others.

This dirt looks great for setting this trap, almost liked it's been tilled.

If you have a softer more damp soil, then tunnels are easier to locate and the hole won't just collapse and fill the tunnel with dirt as you auger and insert this trap. My soil in places is challenging, it's a HARDer than fuck (Unless it's wet) DG capping over soft damp or dry soil beneath.
So probing for the tunnel is challenging because once a probe breaks through the DG, it drops like it's in a tunnel, even if it isn't. Often I think I'm in a tunnel, but when I dig it out, there is no tunnel.

Some love this trap, others think it's a waste of money simply based on their different soil types. Some have put augers on drills, in order to create a hole, which is fine if you can clear the tunnel you just buried. Otherwise you're setting this trap into a pile of dirt, not an open tunnel.

I'll probably get one just to try it, I'd especially prefer it should a gopher get into my lawn, where I tend to find feeder holes, not tunnel mounds and I don't want to dig out large openings.

buck35

Reaction score
Ive had two oldtimers tell me the exhaust deal works. I'm going to try in the spring.tbey .mentioned an old diesel tractor is better .

Last edited: