WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Boostane

Duramax

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I use VP100 in the Eliminator (260's) or AV gas with Klotz. My gas mileage is horrible so I always plan accordingly, but I would like to be able to use fuel from the dock if I need be instead of the hassle I have or just to extend my range and make the day more enjoyable. Will this type of product help shitty fuel, or is it just a myth? Last thing I want is to smoke a motor because I was too lazy about fuel.

Anyone?

JD D05

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I use VP100 in the Eliminator (260's) or AV gas with Klotz. My gas mileage is horrible so I always plan accordingly, but I would like to be able to use fuel from the dock if I need be instead of the hassle I have or just to extend my range and make the day more enjoyable. Will this type of product help shitty fuel, or is it just a myth? Last thing I want is to smoke a motor because I was too lazy about fuel.

Anyone?

I have some but have never used it. My buddy did though @McKay

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score

Anyone?

I asked Eric Simon about octane boosters years ago when he was building my race motors. He asked me how much I liked spending money on rebuilds. Nuff said, I never touched the stuff. Sketchy fuel in a high strung 2 stroke is a recipe for disaster. Don't get lazy.

stoker2001

Reaction score
99% of octane boosters are snake oil IMO.if your 260s are original cylinder heads you can get away with mixing as little as 10-20% AV100LL

Duramax

Reaction score
I asked Eric Simon about octane boosters years ago when he was building my race motors. He asked me how much I liked spending money on rebuilds. Nuff said, I never touched the stuff. Sketchy fuel in a high strung 2 stroke is a recipe for disaster. Don't get lazy.
10-4 brother

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
You need to use a lot of it.

They claim a $30 bottle raises octane rating by 23 points.

Don’t be fooled. An octane point is 0.1

That literally means it will take octane from 87, to 89.3

It’s way cheaper and better just to buy race gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McKay

Reaction score
You need to use a lot of it.

They claim a $30 bottle raises octane rating by 23 points.

Don’t be fooled. An octane point is 0.1

That literally means it will take octane from 87, to 89.3

It’s way cheaper and better just to buy race gas.

Not quite true. I used it when I needed to grab fuel at dangling rope at lake powell as they only have 87z Was typically treating 30 gallons a tank. By their app that needed just a tad less than a quarter bottle to get me to 91. Would usually use about a 1/3 just in case and when I would get to either bulk frog or wahweap the boat was always running rich with a good bit of soot on the back of the boat. Burned really clean otherwise.

pronstar

Reaction score
Not quite true. I used it when I needed to grab fuel at dangling rope at lake powell as they only have 87z Was typically treating 30 gallons a tank. By their app that needed just a tad less than a quarter bottle to get me to 91. Would usually use about a 1/3 just in case and when I would get to either bulk frog or wahweap the boat was always running rich with a good bit of soot on the back of the boat. Burned really clean otherwise.

Adding a liquid to another is a simple dilution ratio calculation.

You take the volume and octane of additive A, and add to the volume of fuel B of known octane, to get the result.

This shows the math in an easy to understand way:

If you’re adding a few ounces of an additive, and want to significantly raise the octane in 30 gallons of fuel, the additive needs to have a massive octane rating in the thousands.

Bobo57

Reaction score
Used it in my 70’ Boss 302 on an essentially new motor, didn’t seem to do anything for detonation and added a red residue to everything included plugs that looked like crap when I pulled em.

‘’higher octane fuel for me.

McKay

Reaction score
Adding a liquid to another is a simple dilution ratio calculation.

You take the volume and octane of additive A, and add to the volume of fuel B of known octane, to get the result.

This shows the math in an easy to understand way:

If you’re adding a few ounces of an additive, and want to significantly raise the octane in 30 gallons of fuel, the additive needs to have a massive octane rating in the thousands.

Download the app and play with it. Just going by what they say to do and it has kept me from popping engines for years at powell. I’m only changing 87 to 91.

78Southwind

Reaction score
Chris Straub told me about Boostane back when I bought the new cam for my Spectra. He said it was one of the few octane boosters that actually worked and did what they say they do. I held out for years but finally tried some last year. I used the Marine Boostane version with some 91 ethanol free fuel to make 100 octane and didn't have any problems. I didn't run it hard but we will see next season.

I watched some videos first before taking the leap...

Last edited:

Duramax

Reaction score
Used it in my 70’ Boss 302 on an essentially new motor, didn’t seem to do anything for detonation and added a red residue to everything included plugs that looked like crap when I pulled em.

‘’higher octane fuel for me.
Will this residue hurt anything? Gum anything up?

Duramax

Reaction score
Chris Straub told me about Boostane back when I bought the new cam for my Spectra. He said it was one of the few octane boosters that actually worked and did what they say they do. I held out for years but finally tried some last year. I used the Marine Boostane version with some 91 ethanol free fuel to make 100 octane and didn't have any problems. I didn't run it hard but we will see next season.

I watched some videos first before taking the leap...

Just watched the first clip. It's pretty damn impressive. No KR in the second run using Boostane. I guess I am just worried about the film it coats the internals with?

78Southwind

Reaction score
Just watched the first clip. It's pretty damn impressive. No KR in the second run using Boostane. I guess I am just worried about the film it coats the internals with?

Here is a pretty good video. This guy has 22,000 miles on his Demon and 600 passes. The tech doesn't seem to concerned about the orange film and said his spark plugs were in good shape. However, I don't know how many of those miles and passes were with Boostane.

78Southwind

Reaction score
To be honest with you I am the kind of person that I have to try things myself before I believe them. Even though the Marine version of Boostane says it has fuel stabilizer in it I still didn't take any chances and put Park Oil 91 ethanol free fuel in the tanks since I knew this was going to be the last run of the year before the Spectra went into storage. I will check the fuel and plugs before we run it this season.

Here is a shitty video my buddy took. We stayed under 4,000 RPMs. I think we will run the rest of the fuel out of it at the begging of this season keeping it under 4,000 RPM's and then running it hard with new fuel and more Boostane. Bullhead City 91 premium is around $2.10 a gallon and the Boostane runs about $30 per bottle out the door if you buy a 6 pack of it on Boostane's Amazon store. For me the Boostane runs about $1.72 per gallon of fuel so we're roughly looking at $3.82 for 100 Octane compared to $9 to $10 gallon for race fuel. Previously, I was mixing 91 with 110 Octane so I am only saving about $1.73 a gallon. But the hassle of trying to find 110 or AV fuel is now gone.

Boostane1.jpg

Boostane.jpg

Duramax

Reaction score
To be honest with you I am the kind of person that I have to try things myself before I believe them. Even though the Marine version of Boostane says it has fuel stabilizer in it I still didn't take any chances and put Park Oil 91 ethanol free fuel in the tanks since I knew this was going to be the last run of the year before the Spectra went into storage. I will check the fuel and plugs before we run it this season.

Here is a shitty video my buddy took. We stayed under 4,000 RPMs. I think we will run the rest of the fuel out of it at the begging of this season keeping it under 4,000 RPM's and then running it hard with new fuel and more Boostane. Bullhead City 91 premium is around $2.10 a gallon and the Boostane runs about $30 per bottle out the door if you buy a 6 pack of it on Boostane's Amazon store. For me the Boostane runs about $1.72 per gallon of fuel so we're roughly looking at $3.82 for 100 Octane compared to $9 to $10 gallon for race fuel. Previously, I was mixing 91 with 110 Octane so I am only saving about $1.73 a gallon. But the hassle of trying to find 110 or AV fuel is now gone.

View attachment 964835

View attachment 964836
I really appreciate your responses on this, thank you very much. I will continue to run VP/Av gas when I head to the lake. The biggest issue for me is fuel mileage, so I have to plan my routes accordingly. What I want to do is to be able to fill up on the water so I can extend my range. This product looks promising as I am going to keep some bottles of it along with the premix I keep in the boat. I am also going to contact ATL about a 17-20 gallon transfer tank that sit between the sponsons under the deck (in front of our feet) in front of the bulk head. The are race proven and safe fuel cells, and can be built with an electric pump that I can either plumb to my tanks (return lines) or just fill up with a external hose. I have 23 gallon tanks, and with twin 260's, they are thirsty. I can add another 9-10 gallons of reserve for each tank to get us home or stay out longer. Full, I am looking at roughly 120lbs, not bad actually.
But even if I can just fill back up on the water that will be a blessing.

HST4ME

Reaction score
What PSI are your motors and what ecu's?

Skulker

Reaction score
I bought some boostane for my boat, for when I get caught having to by by low grade to get home. I haven't had to use it so I can't say good or bad. Some of my buds with blown boats swear by toluene??

HST4ME

Reaction score
Yep...I have race fuel available locally. But when I went down to Jasper run I carried two gallons of toluene. Luckily I ran out of fuel 50 feet from the dock after 120 miles. :cool:

HST4ME

Reaction score
If you go to the boosted ricers forums there is all kinds of info on DIY boosters.

Toulene
R+M/2...114
Cost...$2.50/gal~YMMV on location
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...94.2 Octane
20%...96.4 Octane
30%...98.6 Octane

pronstar

Reaction score
F1 cars used to run very high concentrations of toluene as fuel. It’s very high octane, with a blending number of around 120 octane.

You can see that you have to add quite a lot of it to get meaningful octane increases in fuel, gallons and not ounces like some additives claim.

stoker2001

Reaction score
No idea on psi, and I run Brucato ecu's, which were just purchased before I bought the boat last year.
you really should do a cranking compression check with accurate gauge..145-150PSI (typical stock 2.5 280HP) is on fine line with 91..!back east I hear they get 93 at pump and that is safe.

Duramax

Reaction score
you really should do a cranking compression check with accurate gauge..145-150PSI (typical stock 2.5 280HP) is on fine line with 91..!back east I hear they get 93 at pump and that is safe.
Ok, I am at 130 across all Cylinders. In Tucson we are roughly 1600-1800 feet above sea level.

Also, mine are 94' 260efi offshores

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
Keep in mind that 2 strokes are much more finicky regarding fuel and fuel additives than a 4 stroke. With the stock compression you're running you could use 87 in a pinch as long as you don't run the engines hard with it. 91 octane would be fine in those motors all the time. I would run the oil at 32:1 with a good synthetic like Klotz Super Techniplate, Torco GP-7 or Motul 800, with the surface gap NGK plugs. I kept a spare set on hand but never needed them.

Duramax

Reaction score
Keep in mind that 2 strokes are much more finicky regarding fuel and fuel additives than a 4 stroke. With the stock compression you're running you could use 87 in a pinch as long as you don't run the engines hard with it. 91 octane would be fine in those motors all the time. I would run the oil at 32:1 with a good synthetic like Klotz Super Techniplate, Torco GP-7 or Motul 800, with the surface gap NGK plugs. I kept a spare set on hand but never needed them.
I don't run the hell out of my rig, but I will do some hard runs here and there. The VP or AV gas is strictly because they are good, clean burning fuels that will keep my internals much cleaner. Pump gas is shit, but it is good to know I can run it in a squeeze. I use Klotz Super Techniplate at 40:1 (Mercury recommends) and I also run NGK surface gap plugs.

stoker2001

Reaction score
I agree pump piss with 10% or greater Ethanol is less then ideal with certain fuel components and sucks for any length of storage.with that being said if your motor is a TRUE 130PSI cranking,if you add any race or AV gas to 91 pump you are over octaneing and it will cost you some power..

Duramax

Reaction score
I agree pump piss with 10% or greater Ethanol is less then ideal with certain fuel components and sucks for any length of storage.with that being said if your motor is a TRUE 130PSI cranking,if you add any race or AV gas to 91 pump you are over octaneing and it will cost you some power..
130 at my altitude looks to be exactly what the 260 came with. Exactly.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Another alternative to Boostane is Torco Unleaded Accelerator. Comes in 32oz cans. Mix a can with 20 gallons of 87 to get 91. They have a mixing chart on the Torco website for all sorts of desired octane ranges.

I've been running Torco for years since the motor needs 91 and the fuel docks where I am only do 87. Yeah it makes your plugs a nice orange color but so far that's the worst thing.