WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cast iron cooking experts....

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
From the cast iron to the BBQ.

Probably my finest steak and first fridge home dry age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I'm gonna need some details on how to recreate that

redone76

Reaction score
This thread made me check on my big skillet. She could use a good seasoning. In the bbq she goes
EB046011-6CA4-41CF-942B-679F49CBFF7C.jpeg

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I tried to buy 12” Stargazer earlier this week and their website said 12” would ship in 3 months. I sent them email asking if that was still correct and they responded yes the 12” skillets have a 3 month backlog and would ship in late March but 10” are in stock and ship in less than a week.
Guess it’ll be awhile until I join Club Cast Iron.

I have a few Lodge skillets, still made in the USA in TN i believe, great pans. Heavy and well made. Way cheaper and readily available.

Their castings are good, i know this because i cut and narrowed my 17" skillet so it would fit in my PK charcoal grill, the casting welded well, it has been through several heat cycles now and no cracks.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
Up until a few years ago, I cooked exclusively in cast iron.

I have 5 dutch ovens, 6 skillets, a griddle, and a few cornbread pans.

Most are Lodge, I have a couple Wagner 1891, and a couple antique Griswold (from the Erie, PA) pieces.

I can easily fry eggs in all my skillets, with no sticking, which is the true test of seasoning. LOL

Sent From Tapatalk

wrightman11

Reaction score
Yea I'm gonna need some details on how to recreate that

Let me know, I’ll send you all the pics and info I have.

I know I used bourbon black pepper & sea salt, threw that beast in the fridge for a few days and just went for it. I do remember I wrapped that one in a paper towel and the meat area shrunk just below the fat rim on the out edge.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
@rivermobster
Here’s some inspiration for you.
How about some baked mac&cheese?
D1556DAF-581A-445F-A874-ACC3E0FF58FD.png
C30687C3-7B0A-4900-A86A-EBB3920C49B2.png
D3068AA6-99ED-41CB-AD7C-C3526447DEC5.png

Had some chicken and smoked jalapeño in the mix as well.
Pan is seasoned if you can pull this off without a crusty layer on the bottom of the pan.

And another favorite.
Smoked meatloaf.
D0CDF922-8BE8-480D-9695-253968F4E063.png

And oven baked meatloaf, with poorington crust, lol.
9933ECD3-D86E-40E9-8FA1-07E7916869B2.png

Happy cooking👍

sintax

Reaction score
Get both? One now and one in March.
M pretty much to the point I don’t want to cook in anything but cast.
Absolutey hate the stainless pans now, lol.

GOOD stainless pans have their place, but unfortunately there is a big gap between cheap stainless and good stainless. You want something heavy feeling for its size, and ideally something with a copper core for heat retention. When you grab it, you shouldnt be able to flex the thinned outer bowl part of the pan with the your hands.

Its rare I grab one of my stainless frying pans, but it does happen, BUT if youre cooking with tomatoes, or anything else acidic, youre stuck...

sintax

Reaction score
Wife got me this bad boy for Christmas... I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a good looking piece of cast iron! Supposedly I’ve got a skillet and an 8” coming too but back ordered since thanksgiving. View attachment 957445 View attachment 957446

NICE!

I have that same one, i dont cook with it much, I actually treat it like a dutch oven most of the time. It look GREAT on the table though. Thats what I love most.

Hdgasser

Reaction score
NICE!

I have that same one, i dont cook with it much, I actually treat it like a dutch oven most of the time. It look GREAT on the table though. Thats what I love most.

And it weighs like 15lbs!!!

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
She’s ready for service. By the way this is the one I saved from the firing range. Has no manufacturing marks on it but it’s been a great skillet
View attachment 957256
That is a Griswold pan I believe if it has the cross on the bottom..

I have very similar pans in multiple sizes Mine are from the 20's. They are fairly light for cast iron pans but I like them. The smooth finish on the bottom is excellent.

Xring01

Reaction score
D8FE0F67-9A2B-44DC-BC0E-5F261FD21FE8.jpeg

This isnt cast iron, but its 3/16 plate that we made the other day...
It works great, and I dont have to buy a blackstone.

I made it 16” x 26”, I can use it on just about all of my bbqs and smokers...

wrightman11

Reaction score
That’s a Costco Top Sirloin USDA Prime

Obviously the steak isn’t perfect but I have mastered this cut I feel on a cast iron skillet and have been pulling 10 steaks from a $30 package @ $3.00 a pop [emoji1303]

I freeze them, pull out a day before, season and toss in the fridge for 12-24 hrs to dry. Then let they get set out for 35 minutes at room temp and tossed on the skillet with butter and olive oil. I think I posted the seasonings above.

Taste Review :

Tender just below a filet and and flavor of a nice lean cut of beef. Nice tall cut that can not be beat for USDA Prime beef at $3.00 a pop.

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

wrightman11

Reaction score
I looked at those caps yesterday, after all the talk. The were $18.99 / lbs. I'm going to try them, but jeezuss!! LOL

Sent From Tapatalk

This is all you need, rather tall “steak”.

These were @ $16.99 do the micro dry age in fridge.

As far as fat goes it’s Melt vs Mawl

IMG_2446.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
This is all you need, rather tall “steak”.

These were @ $16.99 do the micro dry age in fridge.

As far as fat goes it’s Melt vs Mawl

That is exactly what I saw at Costco, but they were $18.99 lb. Maybe they are more expensive where I live, or I was getting "Covid Surge" pricing. (Your pack is from October). [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score

Obviously the steak isn’t perfect but I have mastered this cut I feel on a cast iron skillet and have been pulling 10 steaks from a $30 package @ $3.00 a pop [emoji1303]

I freeze them, pull out a day before, season and toss in the fridge for 12-24 hrs to dry. Then let they get set out for 35 minutes at room temp and tossed on the skillet with butter and olive oil. I think I posted the seasonings above.

Taste Review :

Tender just below a filet and and flavor of a nice lean cut of beef. Nice tall cut that can not be beat for USDA Prime beef at $3.00 a pop.

View attachment 966579
View attachment 966580

I will definitely look at theses, and follow your process. They look great.

Do you have a pic of them in the packaging? I have only ever seen their regular top sirloin. I have used the regular ones to cut up to use in various dishes.

Sent From Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Taste Review :

View attachment 966579
View attachment 966580

Very impressive. 👍

Dettom

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to get a 12” cast iron skillet and curious what you guys recommend to buy or avoid?
I’ve seen the 12” Lodge skillet for $55 on Amazon and the 12” FineX is $275, I don’t see how the FineX can be worth $220 more when it’s just cast iron, maybe I’m wrong, maybe it’s a YETI thing????
Can’t beat Lodge. They’ve been around since 1896 and there’s good reason for that.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
I decided to take Gelcoaters advice, one now, one later. The Stargazer is 3 months out, so until then I decided to make a 12” Victoria my trial and error starter piece. I went with a flaxseed preseasoned skillet, it seems to be a pretty decent quality budget buy $29.99 Amazon. Unfortunately, I failed my homework and found out afterwards they’re made in Columbia. Argh...
E9D3C86A-E6F0-44C2-953D-201CAE9E0888.jpeg
6C6529B5-1F32-4BCD-B77E-3E076C700E34.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
I decided to take Gelcoaters advice, one now, one later. The Stargazer is 3 months out, so until then I decided to make a 12” Victoria my trial and error starter piece. I went with a flaxseed preseasoned skillet, it seems to be a pretty decent quality budget buy $29.99 Amazon. Unfortunately, I failed my homework and found out afterwards they’re made in Columbia. Argh...

Looks alright though! I wouldnt kick her outta bed. I've had good luck seasoning with the flax seed as well. I do the stovetop then oven method.

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Right on Sintax, I heard you can have seasoning issues using lesser impure flaxseed oils so I ended up buying a bottle that trades nearly as high as gold. F@#K me. I‘m thinking about trying the “Culinary Fanatic” 200, 300, 400+ oven method With flaxseed instead of Crisco. I’m probably overthinking it, but I hate scraping shit I can’t throw in dishwasher....

Last edited:

wrightman11

Reaction score
I will definitely look at theses, and follow your process. They look great.

Do you have a pic of them in the packaging? I have only ever seen their regular top sirloin. I have used the regular ones to cut up to use in various dishes.

Sent From Tapatalk

That’s them brother, I look for the best Prime package of steaks (if there aren’t good ones I may just grab New York choice or something else ) and then cut them in half. Package in pairs and freeze except for the 2 I usually do that evening or next day. If there are some with undesired fat lines I just do like you said, and make the best alternate dish usually tacos. [emoji1306]

wrightman11

Reaction score
You care to share a recipe on this? I can make baskets.

I can give you a recipe and or simply makes this tomorrow if you want and post images ? I’ll probably serve over Pasta or just simple white rice.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Right on Sintax, I heard you can have seasoning issues using lesser impure flaxseed oils so I ended up buying a bottle that trades nearly as high as gold. F@#K me. I‘m thinking about trying the “Culinary Fanatic” 200, 300, 400+ oven method With flaxseed instead of Crisco. I’m probably overthinking it, but I hate scraping shit I can’t throw in dishwasher....

Best thing about cast.. if shit sticks, when you are done put some water in the pan and back on high heat. Let boil for a few, dump water and pan will wipe right out!

Biggest thing I have found is just be sure after cleaning pan is to put it back in heat until hot and wipe down with oil and a paper towel before putting it away. My main skillet just stays on the stove!

wrightman11

Reaction score
Can anyone do a 1-5 bed list of cast skilli’s ?

I just have some basic well seasoned pans but would like to add a lifetime skillet and use these for camping or give to a friend.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
You care to share a recipe on this? I can make baskets.
Easy buy a small roast chop up and fry in little butter add mushrooms salt pepper garlic salt fresh garlic ( I like garlic) when cooked remove from pan add milk mix all the goodness from pan add flour make gravy make sure no lumps 😉dump everything back in let simmer while making biscuits open vino 😎😉

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
View attachment 966704 View attachment 966705
They usually have the Lodge 12" skillet at Walmart...for a good price.

Sent From Tapatalk