WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Gamestop/Hedgefunds/Robin Hood/Gamer small traders/Wall Street - WTF Happened?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
NPR is calling Robinhood a hero app, conservative talk-a-thons calling Robinhood corrupt, everyone calling Hedgefunds and Wall Street crooks, evidently mini-investing gamers were going to be fucked by Wall Street and they closed ranks and fucked back - WTF happened?
Can anyone explain?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
NPR is calling Robinhood a hero app, conservative talk-a-thons calling Robinhood corrupt, everyone calling Hedgefunds and Wall Street crooks, evidently mini-investing gamers were going to be fucked by Wall Street and they closed ranks and fucked back - WTF happened?
Can anyone explain?

These guys happened...sort of.

323D9472-A2F2-4436-BF4B-76F8B4E718C7.jpeg

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
400,000 members of the sub Reddit called Wall Street Bets figured out that Wall Street had overextended themselves by shorting Gamestop stock.
If the Redditor investors could push up the share price they could fuck over the hedge funds that short businesses and drive down stock prices.

Many of the Redditors are gamers and have a soft spot for Gamestop and don't want it put out of business so hedge funds can make money by shorting the stock. So they devised a plan to buy, buy, buy GME. This pushed up the price. The short sellers were caught short. LOL

Shorts had to provide the stock they promised to deliver. Of course the shorts wanted to provide it at $12.00 a share. The buying spree pushed it up to
$300 a share. The shorts had to pay it. The hedge funds of course are all in cahoots and told Robin Hood to stop trading to "protect" the naive investors.

Now there will be some criminal investigations into the hedge fund tactics. Hopefully.

And in the meantime, early investors made a ton of money. This is now trying to happen to DogeCoin and a couple other stocks like AMC. The little guy is now able to do what the hedge funds have been doing. Moving the market and profiting on the way up and the way down.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
400,000 members of the sub Reddit called Wall Street Bets figured out that Wall Street had overextended themselves by shorting Gamestop stock.
If the Redditor investors could push up the share price they could fuck over the hedge funds that short businesses and drive down stock prices.

Many of the Redditors are gamers and have a soft spot for Gamestop and don't want it put out of business so hedge funds can make money by shorting the stock. So they devised a plan to buy, buy, buy GME. This pushed up the price. The short sellers were caught short. LOL

Shorts had to provide the stock they promised to deliver. Of course the shorts wanted to provide it at $12.00 a share. The buying spree pushed it up to
$300 a share. The shorts had to pay it. The hedge funds of course are all in cahoots and told Robin Hood to stop trading to "protect" the naive investors.

Now there will be some criminal investigations into the hedge fund tactics. Hopefully.

And in the meantime, early investors made a ton of money. This is now trying to happen to DogeCoin and a couple other stocks like AMC. The little guy is now able to do what the hedge funds have been doing. Moving the market and profiting on the way up and the way down.
Pretty much Wall Street got a taste of their own medicine from a bunch of “common folks” although I’m pretty sure there was some big dogs in there too. 😂

Bad part is it is affecting the overall market.😡

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Don’t put this entirely on Reddit gamers. For sure they pushed it up the cliff, but once wall streets super computers got hold of the algorithms they’re probably the ones that blew it to the sky. And going long to cover there shorts.
Fuckin cry baby hedge fund billionaire criminals crying foul.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I don't have a dog in the fight, but from the outside looking in, it was funny as hell.
One of the Reddit ringleaders had a pretty good response when asked why. He basically said he watched the hedge fund guys drinking champagne and having a ball in the last downturn. This guy watched his family lose everything, being in construction. This kid has a bit of coin now, and threw it all in to try to wound the hedge fund guys...it worked.

I'm sure Dear Leader Jao will help those poor hedge fund guys...you know, to help the common man.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Don’t put this entirely on Reddit gamers. For sure they pushed it up the cliff, but once wall streets super computers got hold of the algorithms they’re probably the ones that blew it to the sky. And going long to cover there shorts.
Fuckin cry baby hedge fund billionaire criminals crying foul.

True point! Once the algorithms got started they probably fed the loop as well.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Last I heard, it's not over. I was told only one hedge fund is out. 9 others are still on the hook and monday will be a big day. A couple guys I know, think it's going to spike even further on Monday ($1,000), but I'm skeptical.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
True point! Once the algorithms got started they probably fed the loop as well.
this is why I almost never set stop losses, too easy to get bumped out of a good long position from some stupid flash crash.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Can anyone explain?

You got to read the 2021 Stock market thread and Reddit. Crazy ride for sure.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
One of the favorite tools of millennial traders " Robin Hood" decided to limit buying of GameStop (and a few others) thereby halting the reddit gangs driving up the stock - in short robin hood totally fucked these guys, then in retaliation the users rated the app 1 star and then google came in and rescued robin hoods rating by wiping the negative scores

Complete fuckery - by both Robin Hood and google.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My prediction, Monday the big squeeze that don't happen with more jabber about buy more and don't sell not matter what " to the moon" tue, wed, thur, fri same thing maybe some increase in stock price. Following week more of the same by end of week everyone will be holding a big bag of dicks. Big boys will go on to the next one the rest playing call of duty. If everyone thinks these guys are going to hold until the end your crazy, they will be cashed out before you even know what hit you.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I read the big boys flexed on Robinhood. Don't know how true though. Who knows. To me, it has no immediate effect, as I have no market investments. What does have an effect, even if delayed, is when the big money guys start cutting back. That in turn makes the "not so" big money guys cut back, and so on and so forth. Eventually, the people in my circle start cutting back...and that's when us "poor folk" get kicked in the nuts.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
My prediction, Monday the big squeeze that don't happen with more jabber about buy more and don't sell not matter what " to the moon" tue, wed, thur, fri same thing maybe some increase in stock price. Following week more of the same by end of week everyone will be holding a big bag of dicks. Big boys will go on to the next one the rest playing call of duty. If everyone thinks these guys are going to hold until the end your crazy, they will be cashed out before you even know what hit you.

thanks for the pep talk. Lol

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
So what to do if you have you a lot of your money in 401k's? Obviously, with the market down we are losing money. Do we just wait it out, or do we move it to the bond fund within the 401K and wait until this shit is over?

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
So what to do if you have you a lot of your money in 401k's? Obviously, with the market down we are losing money. Do we just wait it out, or do we move it to the bond fund within the 401K and wait until this shit is over?

I have learned that the 401K rides it all out as it truly is LT. One or twice I have tried to time things and it cost me some gains.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Cramer a survivor of many years,solid. You guys might want to listen to him.Allota smart money people inside the guts of Wall Street did not go home this weekend.Monday could be historic. The House wins.Take what you got last week.Greed is a killer,along with coming in late.

Turnup

Reaction score
I read a report yesterday that said for every $11 uptick in the stock there was $1B loss to the funds. Going from like $10 to $350 holy shit 🤣🤣

Reactions: TPC

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Cramer a survivor of many years,solid. You guys might want to listen to him.Allota smart money people inside the guts of Wall Street did not go home this weekend.Monday could be historic. The House wins.Take what you got last week.Greed is a killer,along with coming in late.
The same cocaine Cramer who told people to keep buying Bear stock when he knew the crash was happening in '08?

Yeaaaaaaaa fuck him
Cramer only pumps Cramer bags.
He is not on our side.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
The same cocaine Cramer who told people to keep buying Bear stock when he knew the crash was happening in '08?

Yeaaaaaaaa fuck him
Cramer only pumps Cramer bags.
He is not on our side.

Didn't Bear Stearns crash and burn forever 16 hours after this telecast?,,, or close to it.
This kinda thing used to get people in the media locked up.

WSJ's 'Heard on the Street' column was full of shill and touting payola recommendations and the columnist and others eventually did a stretch..

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Much appreciated. Thanks.

HST4ME

Reaction score
Made a quick 50k off gme. The whole go around was absolutely amazing to watch 😂