WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cast iron cooking experts....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The steaks are 1.5" to 1.75" thick.

Sent From Tapatalk

If you're in a hurry, I really like this stuff...

20210128_101616.jpg

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
If you're in a hurry, I really like this stuff...

View attachment 967924
I have it...but in the Pro size. LOL.

I used to the large container of it, and the chicken. Now I just have the small large size.

I little of it on brocolli or other vegetable is killer also. Just a little though, or it is too salty.

Sent From Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I have it...but in the Pro size. LOL.

I used to the large container of it, and the chicken. Now I just have the small large size.

I little of it on brocolli or other vegetable is killer also. Just a little though, or it is too salty.

Sent From Tapatalk

I had a Huge bottle of it I got at Costco ages ago. When it finally ran out, I just grabbed the little one at the store.

This new one is WAY saltier than the old one.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I had a Huge bottle of it I got at Costco ages ago. When it finally ran out, I just grabbed the little one at the store.

This new one is WAY saltier than the old one.
I had the big bottles from Costco also. Probably around 2000...hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

Sent From Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
That’s a Costco Top Sirloin USDA Prime

Obviously the steak isn’t perfect but I have mastered this cut I feel on a cast iron skillet and have been pulling 10 steaks from a $30 package @ $3.00 a pop [emoji1303]

I freeze them, pull out a day before, season and toss in the fridge for 12-24 hrs to dry. Then let they get set out for 35 minutes at room temp and tossed on the skillet with butter and olive oil. I think I posted the seasonings above.

Taste Review :

Tender just below a filet and and flavor of a nice lean cut of beef. Nice tall cut that can not be beat for USDA Prime beef at $3.00 a pop.

View attachment 966579
View attachment 966580

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ok, I made this, but with thick cut New York Steaks. They turned out killer. I kept them in the fridge for 48 hours. I flipped them after 24 hours.

I threw a couple of the same exact New York steaks, that I hadn't dry brined in the fridge for 2 days. You could 1000% taste the difference, and the difference in tenderness.

Thanks for the motivation to try this. I have always wanted to, but just never did it.

Sent From Tapatalk

wrightman11

Reaction score
Ok, I made this, but with thick cut New York Steaks. They turned out killer. I kept them in the fridge for 48 hours. I flipped them after 24 hours.

I threw a couple of the same exact New York steaks, that I hadn't dry brined in the fridge for 2 days. You could 1000% taste the difference, and the difference in tenderness.

Thanks for the motivation to try this. I have always wanted to, but just never did it.

Sent From Tapatalk

Crazy huh ?

[emoji1306]

Makes sirloins just under filet tender. Thanks for trying it I don’t know anyone else that did it also so.

Clank123

Reaction score
FF6AAFE7-BE22-4A14-988B-DDABFEE3B202.jpeg

First off.
Gotta use cast iron. This is a 15”Lodge. Also get a cover for it. We use an acrylic lid so we can see what’s going on.
Wife mixed about 2 1/2 cups of flour with pepper, seasoned salt, red pepper and some cayenne pepper.
She adds till she gets the right color mix. Figure the pepper is the most and around 2 table spoons.
Whip some eggs together in a bowl. Put a fair amount of the seasoned flour in a large ziplock.
Cover the pieces with the egg wash and put in bag. You can do 5 or so pieces at a time. And Shake well.
Inch or so of canola oil in the pan. Bring to a medium heat.
Sprinkle a little more seasoned salt on after you drop them in.
Cook till you see a light brown and then flip and cover.
Can do a couple more flips to get the color you want.
The more batches you do, the better the oil gets as it gets seasoned.
We have used many different oils, but have always had great luck with the canola.
I’m sure there will be a few different recipes posted with more exact temps, seasonings and time lines.
This is the best I can do cause we kinda cook by eye around here😁
Just go for it!

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Yup....ez peezy...just did some tenderloins a couple days ago. Only thing I will change next time is sprinkling some seasoning over the top of them after you set them in. They were just missing a lil seasoning. Adding eggs with the flour
/seasoning mixture makes it. 👍

Carrera205

Reaction score
Make sure you always keep it oiled when you store it. If it’s a lodge cast iron pan it comes pre seasoned but I do an extra one. I took mine washed it with warm water and soap. Completely dried it. Sprayed it with season. Put it on the stove and got it nice and hot then let it cool. When cooking you wana use something with a higher tolerance to heat. Olive oil and conola oil smoke like a mother on high heat. Sunflower oil can handle higher heat. After it’s been cooked on some you can clean it by wiping it down or using a chain mail sponge and salt. I don’t even use a bbq anymore I make all my steaks and chicken on the cast iron it tastes amazing! When I cook my steak I’ll season it and let it sit out at room temp for 2 hrs. Perfectly safe and it lets you get that nice sear quickly without overbooking the inside. You can pick up some high quality beef tallow from Whole Foods. Put a small amount in there to add some major flavor Don’t be afraid to throw in some veggies and butter when your cooking up a steak!

Last edited:

wrightman11

Reaction score
Now those are brownies.

Did a filet last night for the wife with some shrimpies, stuffed wrapped poblanos and broccoli. Was able to snag a whole filet for $55, some other members were posting some sweet deals on here [emoji1303]. I cut these myself, one is the end and the first cut after. Didn’t bother with the micro dry on these as they are already fork tender. I have been working on my plating and I need to work on my shrimp game I feel. For now I’m just using salt and paprika sautéing garlic in the butter before cooking. Relatively cheap plate here again if you can buy in bulk it really pays off. Hope you enjoy, will post more worthy meals in the near future [emoji1303].

I can’t help but to hit the Poblano first thing [emoji23].

IMG_4079.jpg

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4086.jpg

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4083.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

IMG_4090.jpg

IMG_4091.jpg

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score
Now those are brownies.

Did a filet last night for the wife with some shrimpies, stuffed wrapped poblanos and broccoli. Was able to snag a whole filet for $55, some other members were posting some sweet deals on here [emoji1303]. I cut these myself, one is the end and the first cut after. Didn’t bother with the micro dry on these as they are already fork tender. I have been working on my plating and I need to work on my shrimp game I feel. For now I’m just using salt and paprika sautéing garlic in the butter before cooking. Relatively cheap plate here again if you can buy in bulk it really pays off. Hope you enjoy, will post more worthy meals in the near future [emoji1303].

I can’t help but to hit the Poblano first thing [emoji23].

View attachment 969393

You butthole. Now I’m hungry again....lol:eek:😃
I‘m into blackened steaks, usually did Paul Prudommes blackened steak magic, but you seem to pretty well know what the hell you’re talking about, so I figured I’d try that Hardcore Carnivore Seasoning you mentioned. I just received a Hardcore variety pack.....
F497CB15-8F0F-42CE-B18E-F40614514FC2.jpeg

wrightman11

Reaction score
You butthole. Now I’m hungry again....lol:eek:[emoji2]
I‘m into blackened steaks, usually did Paul Prudommes blackened steak magic, but you seem to pretty well know what the hell you’re talking about, so I figured I’d try that Hardcore Carnivore Seasoning you mentioned. I just received a Hardcore variety pack.....
View attachment 969584

Wait until the black hits, whhheweee it goes on my tri tips also. Basically everything Ribs as well, just a touch don’t want to discolor ....changed a lot for me I have to say. After my first run in with it, I went for the huge bottle.

I think I was ripping that chelada looking one on Chicken and Pork, mainly Ribs n Chops. Great move and I think you will really enjoy it.

I’m playing with the Kinders spices now as I received them for Xmas, so far I only used the “buttery steakhouse”....on chicken lmao. I can’t bring myself to putting it on a steak. I mean, I have butter and black so.

Here’s my tri tip from the other night. That’s granulated garlic, the black rub and black pepper. Olive oil after the first 2 seasonings the went pasty add the cracked black.
IMG_4012.jpg

IMG_4013.jpg

IMG_4014.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

wrightman11

Reaction score
Just some whole black corns from Kirkland.

I use the plastic cracker they sell [emoji23]

Speaking of Kirklands, I grab the rotisserie chickens from there, break them down, and boil the bones to make stock. So I used it in tonight’s dinner for the rice, deglazing and gravy. [emoji102][emoji102][emoji102]

I did the Mushroom/onion beef filet with gravy on rice just now. [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]
IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4144.jpg

I took more photos in case some people want to master the gravy and veggies.

Let me know guys !

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Make sure you always keep it oiled when you store it. If it’s a lodge cast iron pan it comes pre seasoned but I do an extra one. I took mine washed it with warm water and soap. Completely dried it. Sprayed it with season. Put it on the stove and got it nice and hot then let it cool. When cooking you wana use something with a higher tolerance to heat. Olive oil and conola oil smoke like a mother on high heat. Sunflower oil can handle higher heat. After it’s been cooked on some you can clean it by wiping it down or using a chain mail sponge and salt. I don’t even use a bbq anymore I make all my steaks and chicken on the cast iron it tastes amazing! When I cook my steak I’ll season it and let it sit out at room temp for 2 hrs. Perfectly safe and it lets you get that nice sear quickly without overbooking the inside. You can pick up some high quality beef tallow from Whole Foods. Put a small amount in there to add some major flavor Don’t be afraid to throw in some veggies and butter when your cooking up a steak!

I started pan frying steaks awhile back. That's the main reason I wanted a cast iron pan.

I think the bbq is now going to be for burgers and stuff like that. Pan fried steak is da bomb.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I'm doing the Costco Prime Top Sirloins tonight. Dry Brined / Micro Aged in the fridge for 48 hours. I have see a lot of people call it a dry brine.

Sent From Tapatalk

sintax

Reaction score
I started pan frying steaks awhile back. That's the main reason I wanted a cast iron pan.

I think the bbq is now going to be for burgers and stuff like that. Pan fried steak is da bomb.

haha have you dont a cast iron fried burger with butter?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
haha have you dont a cast iron fried burger with butter?

Not yet, but I'm gonna have to give that a try now that you mention it! lol

I did do some carne asada though. Killer. Steak, fried eggs and grits for breakfast. Yummmmmmmmmm. And only takes like 5min!!

sintax

Reaction score
Not yet, but I'm gonna have to give that a try now that you mention it! lol

I did do some carne asada though. Killer. Steak, fried eggs and grits for breakfast. Yummmmmmmmmm. And only takes like 5min!!

nice! yea, one of my local butchers does pretty good deals on grass fed ground beef. I'll do one every so often.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
nice! yea, one of my local butchers does pretty good deals on grass fed ground beef. I'll do one every so often.

Ya know...

I bought a package of that stuff at the market One time. It actually didn't taste good at all!

I saw Gordon Ramsay puts sirloin and lamb and a couple other ground meats into his burgers. I'm wondering if the market would do something like that if I asked?

sintax

Reaction score
Ya know...

I bought a package of that stuff at the market One time. It actually didn't taste good at all!

I saw Gordon Ramsay puts sirloin and lamb and a couple other ground meats into his burgers. I'm wondering if the market would do something like that if I asked?

Grass Fed can be a bit funkier for sure.

I know Stater Bros will do that for me, Sometimes they’ll have good steaks for cheaper than the ground beef, I’ll have them grind some up.

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
All I can say, is I will probably never BBQ a steak again. OMG.

It didn't just taste great. It was very tender, and restaurant quality, especially for Costco Top Sirloins (Prime)... which are normally just Meh when you BBQ them.

They were over 2" thick before cooking, and really seemed like I was eating Fillet Mignon. Once again, I dry brined / micro aged in the fridge for 2 days.

OUT - F'ING - STANDING!!
20210208_193223.jpg
20210208_193257.jpg
20210208_192158.jpg
20210208_191358.jpg
20210208_191403.jpg

Sent From Tapatalk

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
@Gelcoater

Hey Larry, how's this look?

Plain ol Kraft mac cheese, Ortega chopped green chilies, garlic butter instead of regular butter and topped with breadcrumbs.

I only used 2/3 of the can of chilis, caused they were marked Hot, but it wasn't Hot at all. I'll use the whole can next time.

Wasn't great, but not bad, and way better than stock!

😝

20210208_193840.jpg

sintax

Reaction score
Ya know...

Got me thinking about it today...

8BF63567-B6AA-4C2A-9642-B943B6E72310.jpeg

3BE83173-30C9-4493-8FDF-37032329F6D3.jpeg

sintax

Reaction score
Talk to me goose...

Wacha got there???

Super simple burger

1/3 lb of grass fed Stemple Farms beef, lil bit of Malcom Reed’s AP rub, and fresh cracked pepper. Brioche bun, butter toasted in the cast iron before.

Toss a half tablespoon of butter for the bun toasting, 1.5 for butter basting the burger. Toss on some sharp cheddar, and the tots.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Super simple burger

1/3 lb of grass fed Stemple Farms beef, lil bit of Malcom Reed’s AP rub, and fresh cracked pepper. Brioche bun, butter toasted in the cast iron before.

Toss a half tablespoon of butter for the bun toasting, 1.5 for butter basting the burger. Toss on some sharp cheddar, and the tots.

I thought you maybe went for a custom blend! That burger looks massive though.

Yum. Nice work!

wrightman11

Reaction score
All I can say, is I will probably never BBQ a steak again. OMG.

It didn't just taste great. It was very tender, and restaurant quality, especially for Costco Top Sirloins (Prime)... which are normally just Meh when you BBQ them.

They were over 2" thick before cooking, and really seemed like I was eating Fillet Mignon. Once again, I dry brined / micro aged in the fridge for 2 days.

OUT - F'ING - STANDING!! View attachment 970989 View attachment 970990 View attachment 970991 View attachment 970992 View attachment 970993

Sent From Tapatalk

$3.50 a steak [emoji23]

Completely different steak to be honest. There is something with this cut that makes it take to the micro drying. I have done many others but the sirloin really appreciates the small effort. It pays you back very well.

Side note:

Did my first ever smoked USDA PRIME CHOICE Brisket $25, was like a 2-4 inch steak all the way down. Touched ends in the wrapper, that’s all I knew to check for haha.

Had veteran smokers who do 14 hr briskets trippin a little bit because this was done in my red barrel smoker @ 6 hrs !!!

The 2-3 inches at the tip of the brisket were dry but still delicious. The other foot and a half of it was awesome. People were asking what I put on it, will post if people are interested. Here’s my ring of smoke. Obviously on the fat side it wasn’t as uniform but check out that color.

My first brisket !

Ps my son helped season it haha he mixed at his own ration hahaha !

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

IMG_4205.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg