WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

2021 housing market predictions....

BingerFang

Reaction score
What are your predictions for the 2021 housing market with 2.1 million Americans “seriously delinquent” on their mortgages?

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Feb. 1, 2021 – Today, the Data & Analytics division of Black Knight, Inc. (NYSE:BKI) released its latest Mortgage Monitor Report, based upon the company’s industry-leading mortgage, real estate and public records datasets. As the final, 12-month expiration point for many forbearance plans quickly approaches, this month’s report looks at how the slowdown in improvement in recent months may present new challenges to recovery for seriously delinquent homeowners. According to Black Knight Data & Analytics President Ben Graboske, the end of March 2021 is shaping up to be an inflection point for the industry.

“For the roughly 6.7 million Americans who have been in COVID-19 related mortgage forbearance at some point since the onset of the pandemic, the programs have represented an essential lifeline,” said Graboske. “The vast majority of plans have a 12-month cap on payment forbearance, though. And the various moratoriums which have kept foreclosure actions at bay over the past 10 months may be lulling us into a false sense of security about the scope of the post-forbearance problem we will need to confront come the end of March. Last year saw the largest number of homeowners – nearly 3.6 million – become 90 or more days past due since 2009, and as of the end of December, 2.1 million remained so.

“When nearly a quarter of all forbearance plans come to an end on March 31, at the current rate of improvement there would still be approximately 1.5 million more such serious delinquencies than before the pandemic. With that rate of improvement slowing in recent weeks, current trends suggest more than 2.5 million homeowners would still in forbearance at that point. While early in the pandemic roughly half of homeowners in forbearance continued to make their monthly mortgage payments, that number has steadily declined. Today, it’s about 12%, which suggests the people who are taking the full forbearance period afforded to them may well be experiencing prolonged financial distress, and face extended challenges as they return to making payments.”

Barring further action by the federal government, more than 600,000 seriously delinquent borrowers will reach the end of their allotted forbearance periods at the end of March. This clearly shows the industry-wide need for post-forbearance waterfalls to determine borrower need and readiness while foreclosure moratoriums are still in place. By efficiently addressing lower-risk borrowers as they exit forbearance, focus can then shift to those more in need. Robust portfolio monitoring, borrower outreach, loss mitigation and regulatory compliance will only become more important as the year progresses and the industry comes to terms with the size and scope of the post-forbearance problem. Much more detail can be found in Black Knight’s December 2020 Mortgage Monitor Report.

Source: https://www.blackknightinc.com/black-knights-december-2020-mortgage-monitor/

CLdrinker

Reaction score
All of the mortgage brokers here will tell you a problem don’t exist. The real estate agents will scream we have a shortage no crash in sight.

The nerds will say hold with diamond hands!!! Bankrupt the landlords!!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
What are your predictions for the 2021 housing market with 2.1 million Americans “seriously delinquent” on their mortgages?

Barring further action by the federal government, more than 600,000 seriously delinquent borrowers will reach the end of their allotted forbearance periods at the end of March.

The new administration will NOT due something..... Just like postponing school loans, they will dump money to protect these people. So I don't see anything drastic happening to the housing market.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
My son has been looking for a condo and they get scooped up as soon as they hit the market. Rates are low and inventory is low as well so I don't see prices going down anytime soon. When inventory increases or rates increase, prices will adjust accordingly.

Cdog

Reaction score
Basically there's a shit storm on the horizon but it's too soon to tell if it's going to be a problem. I bet owner occupieds are granted some kind of refi or bridge to provide enough time to sell.

Under 5k Available in current inventory here in Phoenix.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 10.43.57 AM.png

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Basically there's a shit storm on the horizon but it's too soon to tell if it's going to be a problem. I bet owner occupieds are granted some kind of refi or bridge to provide enough time to sell.

Under 5k Available in current inventory here in Phoenix.

Shit storm brewing, yes. I can tell you what will happen though and this is easily fixable.

Banks will get a .gov bailout. Owners will be given an option to refinance or some extended period of forbearance with the interest accrued tacked onto the back end of their loan. There will not be mass foreclosures like in 2008 again. The answer is always print more money.

In hindsight if the options were to print more money in 2009 or print more money in late 2007 into 2008, avoid much of the crash pains altogether, what do you think the .gov is going to choose to do today given all they have learned in the last 15 years? No one wants to walk away from their house today because the rates are so low, and rent is so high, there is no where to go anyway.

Last edited:

badgas

Reaction score
" Prediction ? Pain ! "

Clubber Lang

Maybe not in 21 but some bloodshed must be coming. Us mortgae debt was beyond 08 levels even before Covid. Everyone likes to say this is different and it is but when poeple lose income and can't make a mortage payment the result will be the same. Getting smashed buy a bus or smashed by a train is also different but the end result is pain and suffering.

Cdog

Reaction score
" Prediction ? Pain ! "

Clubber Lang

Maybe not in 21 but some bloodshed must be coming. Us mortgae debt was beyond 08 levels even before Covid. Everyone likes to say this is different and it is but when poeple lose income and can't make a mortage payment the result will be the same. Getting smashed buy a bus or smashed by a train is also different but the end result is pain and suffering.

People are focused into their rearview mirror looking for signs of what happened last time. No doubt the shit storm will happen again but odds are it will be triggered by something different and will play out differently.

For instance look at how much money was printed and BS loans given to people over the last 12 months. That money supply has to have an affect on assets, especially when there in no inventory in housing (our favorite subject here)

People keep forgetting about the boomer migration. The wealthiest generation our country has ever seen is retiring in mass. Selling their 1980 homes in CA with 800k in equity and relocating all over the country with pensions/401k/inherited wealth from their parents etc.... They are out of the workforce spending their money before they're gone. This is changing the dynamics of the market as a whole. All real estate is local.......

gqchris

Reaction score
All of the mortgage brokers here will tell you a problem don’t exist. The real estate agents will scream we have a shortage no crash in sight.

THIS 100%. I see them flaunting their designer new shit on Instagram and shake my head. Even my best friend is trying to bust my balls to buy something. He is a RE Agent. He is drinking the kool aid.

I am all for positivity. In 2008 I was young, dumb, and full of cum. Not so much this time around. I see the writing. Who can miss it?

They cant keep printing money. People cant keep buying houses in all the sacred states that were affordable and now they are rising!

The boat brokers bragging they have 30 sales pending in a January and no end in sight.

Oh there is an end. There has to be!

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
THIS 100%. I see them flaunting their designer new shit on Instagram and shake my head. Even my best friend is trying to bust my balls to buy something. He is a RE Agent. He is drinking the kool aid.

I am all for positivity. In 2008 I was young, dumb, and full of cum. Not so much this time around. I see the writing. Who can miss it?

They cant keep printing money. People cant keep buying houses in all the sacred states that were affordable and now they are rising!

The boat brokers bragging they have 30 sales pending in a January and no end in sight.

There is an end for sure. The .gov is gonna kick that can down the road though.

traquer

Reaction score
Going to follow this thread. I have no idea what's going to happen but I know this:

Those with homes and income are happy as shit
Those renting and with income are somewhat happy but annoyed they can't buy anything decent being scooped up or too expensive
Those with homes and no income will figure it out and banks will help them
Those renting and with no income aren't paying, so they're happy
Those with homes that are rented out and tenant not paying is pissed as hell and won't ever see that money they lost

Looks like only the last group is affected? Not sure anyone is out to help them unfortunately. Gonna have to kick out the tenants and handle it without govt assistance.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I remember pre recession all my buddies telling me to get a turbo diesel and a DCB. Lol. They all wondered why I rented and didn’t buy a house.

I live by the cheeseburger method.. how many cheeseburgers is that worth to me? If it’s worth that much I buy it, if it costs more cheeseburgers than it’s worth than I don’t.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Hopefully get to see the black swan swim one more time, i need a retirement home here in a couple of years.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score

You would be singing a different song, if you worked in the business everyday. You don't, so you form an outside opinion, but really don't know the facts. You only know what you read on the internet.

First lets talk about the forbearances. Did you know that 70% of the people that come across my desk in forbearance, didn't need it? Do you know that most of them are on forbearance but have continued to make their payments? If they didn't make the payments, they are quick to stroke a check to pay off the backed payments and move forward with a new purchase pre approval or refinance.

Second, a majority of the job losses incurred due to COVID were not high paying jobs and most of those people were not homeowners. Yes, there are a lot of business owners that have been affected that are homeowners, but we are not talking big enough numbers to crash housing.

Third, do you know how bad the supply issue is right now?? IT IS BAD!! Even with an injection of supply, the pent up demand would eat it up. I have a list of pre approved buyers a mile long that put in 5-6 offers a week, trying for ANYTHING. I am not talking about low credit FHA or down payment assistance buyers, we are talking highly qualified people with good paying jobs and money for down payment. You know when they all were born? Between 1985 - 1998. We talked about this pool of millennial buyers for a few years now and it is massive and will continue to drive RE for the foreseeable future.

Lastly, these properties in forbearance............THEY.........HAVE.........EQUITY, so no one is going delinquent and walking away.

Surprised it took this long into the new month for another RE related, doom and gloom thread, to appear on RDP.......:D:D

530RL

Reaction score
There is very limited supply, there is very limited labor and the labor pool is shrinking as it retires, there are very large tariffs on the highest dollar inputs into home construction as well as lot improvement, and government on all levels are making it much more expensive to develop lots and then build homes.

To get housing prices to stop appreciating, let alone depreciate, will take a pretty large confluence of negative events.

And even then, if one locks in a 3.0% 30 year mortgage today and then pricing falls due to higher interest rates; one may have been better off paying the higher price and locking in the cheap financing as opposed to getting a little lower price on the same home at higher mortgage rates.

If interest rates go back to historic levels, a 3.0% 30 year fixed mortgage may actually become the best risk any borrower ever took on. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

gqchris

Reaction score
I remember pre recession all my buddies telling me to get a turbo diesel and a DCB. Lol. They all wondered why I rented and didn’t buy a house.

I live by the cheeseburger method.. how many cheeseburgers is that worth to me? If it’s worth that much I buy it, if it costs more cheeseburgers than it’s worth than I don’t.
We think alike sir. I also suck at gambling because when I lose, I equate that to cheesburgers lost! LOL

D19

Reaction score
It's fairly difficult to predict a market that is controlled by government interest. We are far from a free market.

I'm blown away by Federal intervention that has caused the bubbles in all markets to continue inflating all of these years. The way I see it, the real estate "recovery" that took place in/around 2013 was totally manufactured, but here we are.

Something like 40% of all US Dollars in circulation were printed in the past 12 months. That being true, I don't know what's going to happen. Will they keep printing??.. Probably, and if so, I see a currency crisis on the horizon which could mean that prices (asset and consumer goods) will continue to soar.

If costs of everything go up, but wages are the same, many people won't earn enough to keep up with the rising cost to live (buy things). Furthermore, everything we have all saved in the past is now worth less. A huge shrink in the middle class is happening; What will stop it? Hopefully we only suffer a dollar crash and not hyper inflation. If we get into a situation of hyper inflation, how does our government reinstate confidence in our currency? That's a little scary IMO.

Back to RE... Inventory is down year over year 13 % in LA County, 25% in OC, 57 % in SB County and 63% in Riverside County. Many homeowners can't afford to move in So Cal. They can't afford to move up or move down and if you're making an offer on a new home contingent to sell your current home...Good luck! You'll be competing with many non-contingent offers; It's not impossible, but it's very challenging (you better have a great agent on your side). People that own homes are staying put or moving to markets that are not as competitive. Last year most of my sellers left the state or cashed out and decided to rent. This was much different than the 3 years before. I believe low inventory is also caused by Covid. People are freaked out to put their homes on the market and we've been in a limbo situation which leaves a lot of sellers unmotivated to really do something (there's no sense of urgency to do anything).

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I'll keep living my life and running my business with optimism in my own abilities. I don't really care what the market does, I can't base my life on hypothetical conclusions, I need to focus on the now. Sure I can have my opinions on where the market is going, but at the end of the day, opinions are all they are.

In my opinion, if it makes sense for you to sell, then sell, if makes sense to buy, then buy. Everyone has to do what they think is most beneficial for them. Don't listen to me. LOL

Englewood

Reaction score
What do you mean? 2014 wasn't, 2015 wasn't, 2016 wasn't, 2017 wasn't, 2018 wasn't, 2019 wasn't, 2020 wasn't, and now no 2021 crash either?

3 problems with the logic that it will collapse this year. Here are my reasons why I feel it will not crash in 2021.

1. Interest Rates are crazy low.
2. Supply!!! A 100% increase in supply would still not support the demand.
3. Homeowners have Equity. 97% of homeowners have equity in their home.

Commercial real estate is in for a tough decade in my opinion. Many companies have realized that they can work remotely and still be productive. With retail struggling and downsizing, commercial prices will be impacted significantly.

Don't buy into the fake news headlines.

RCDave

Reaction score
It's fairly difficult to predict a market that is controlled by government interest. We are far from a free market.

I'm blown away by Federal intervention that has caused the bubbles in all markets to continue inflating all of these years. The way I see it, the real estate "recovery" that took place in/around 2013 was totally manufactured, but here we are.

Something like 40% of all US Dollars in circulation were printed in the past 12 months. That being true, I don't know what's going to happen. Will they keep printing??.. Probably, and if so, I see a currency crisis on the horizon which could mean that prices (asset and consumer goods) will continue to soar.

If costs of everything go up, but wages are the same, many people won't earn enough to keep up with the rising cost to live (buy things). Furthermore, everything we have all saved in the past is now worth less. A huge shrink in the middle class is happening; What will stop it? Hopefully we only suffer a dollar crash and not hyper inflation. If we get into a situation of hyper inflation, how does our government reinstate confidence in our currency? That's a little scary IMO.

Back to RE... Inventory is down year over year 13 % in LA County, 25% in OC, 57 % in SB County and 63% in Riverside County. Many homeowners can't afford to move in So Cal. They can't afford to move up or move down and if you're making an offer on a new home contingent to sell your current home...Good luck! You'll be competing with many non-contingent offers; It's not impossible, but it's very challenging (you better have a great agent on your side). People that own homes are staying put or moving to markets that are not as competitive. Last year most of my sellers left the state or cashed out and decided to rent. This was much different than the 3 years before. I believe low inventory is also caused by Covid. People are freaked out to put their homes on the market and we've been in a limbo situation which leaves a lot of sellers unmotivated to really do something (there's no sense of urgency to do anything).

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I'll keep living my life and running my business with optimism in my own abilities. I don't really care what the market does, I can't base my life on hypothetical conclusions, I need to focus on the now. Sure I can have my opinions on where the market is going, but at the end of the day, opinions are all they are.

In my opinion, if it makes sense for you to sell, then sell, if makes sense to buy, then buy. Everyone has to do what they think is most beneficial for them. Don't listen to me. LOL

Soundly centered analysis and clearly you understand economics

Reactions: D19

hallett21

Reaction score
Those of you in real estate.

Do you have a way of measuring people who sell their home and turn around rent in the same area?

I keep hearing about people cashing out and waiting for the “correction”.

By selling you raise the comps in your area (arguable harder to buy back in after paying commissions). Then by renting you take inventory off the market causing rents to increase.

Which should drive home prices higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLdrinker

Reaction score
You would be singing a different song, if you worked in the business everyday. You don't, so you form an outside opinion, but really don't know the facts. You only know what you read on the internet.

First lets talk about the forbearances. Did you know that 70% of the people that come across my desk in forbearance, didn't need it? Do you know that most of them are on forbearance but have continued to make their payments? If they didn't make the payments, they are quick to stroke a check to pay off the backed payments and move forward with a new purchase pre approval or refinance.

Second, a majority of the job losses incurred due to COVID were not high paying jobs and most of those people were not homeowners. Yes, there are a lot of business owners that have been affected that are homeowners, but we are not talking big enough numbers to crash housing.

Third, do you know how bad the supply issue is right now?? IT IS BAD!! Even with an injection of supply, the pent up demand would eat it up. I have a list of pre approved buyers a mile long that put in 5-6 offers a week, trying for ANYTHING. I am not talking about low credit FHA or down payment assistance buyers, we are talking highly qualified people with good paying jobs and money for down payment. You know when they all were born? Between 1985 - 1998. We talked about this pool of millennial buyers for a few years now and it is massive and will continue to drive RE for the foreseeable future.

Lastly, these properties in forbearance............THEY.........HAVE.........EQUITY, so no one is going delinquent and walking away.

Surprised it took this long into the new month for another RE related, doom and gloom thread, to appear on RDP.......:D:D
Your not wrong on many of your points.

But is everyone out there making so much money they can buy 100k boats, 40k sxs’s 75k trucks, and 50k RV’s with no end in sight.

I am not in the mortgage industry. But I am in the don’t forget the past industry.

Now don’t get offended.

But have never heard a salesman say it’s a bad time to buy. That goes for mortgage brokers and real estate agents.

The last time I saw the same experts screaming from the roof tops that the industry is great was the last crash. You know what else was going on right before that crash? Houses were at a all time high, People buying expensive trucks, boats and other toys like money was burning a hole in there pockets.

Forgive my caution but things are similar right now. A crash won’t happen this year. I don’t think the next crash will be near as bad as last time.

But once interest rates go up, I’m sure you will have more free time.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Interest rates alone are crazy..
30-year loans at 3% aren't sustainable for a lender...these loans wouldn't exist without government subsidy.

Supply/Demand
The Dallas market has more buyers competing for 50% less inventory compared to last year. Frisco, a popular North Dallas suburb of 200,000, had just 90 homes for sale last month.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
3 problems with the logic that it will collapse this year. Here are my reasons why I feel it will not crash in 2021.

Commercial real estate is in for a tough decade in my opinion. Many companies have realized that they can work remotely and still be productive. With retail struggling and downsizing, commercial prices will be impacted significantly.

Will said home owners have equity when rates increase and prices tank?

boatnam2

Reaction score
Interest rates alone are crazy..
30-year loans at 3% aren't sustainable for a lender...these loans wouldn't exist without government subsidy.

Supply/Demand
The Dallas market has more buyers competing for 50% less inventory compared to last year. Frisco, a popular North Dallas suburb of 200,000, had just 90 homes for sale last month.
Since you know Dallas real estate, how much are property taxes in Dallas ? we are always arguing at work amongst us close to retirement.

2Driver

Reaction score
Things are soooo disjointed right now it will interesting to see what happens with everything.

The Government cant keep pushing the car thats out of gas to the top of every hill.

On a solid note, many homeowners in 2007 didnt have much equity their homes. Its easy to walk when you are upside down. Its harder to walk on your loan when you have 50-200K in equity. That can evaporate too but its a cushion.

I have 0 debt and am 45% cash. Coincidentally about the same position I was in 2006 and it was nice.

Last edited:

Rajobigguy

Reaction score
Current admin. will keep printing money, borrowing from China, and giving bailouts to keep the economy afloat until 2024 when Trump regains office. Then if things start falling apart they can blame him.

Englewood

Reaction score
Will said home owners have equity when rates increase and prices tank?

You should do some research on the average amount of equity throughout the US... Why don't you tell us how much prices will go down and we'll circle back in a year? If they go down as a whole I'll fill up your boat.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
But once interest rates go up, I’m sure you will have more free time.

Hopefully! We have some projects that have been put off, that I would really like to sink my teeth into. Not to mention, more time to study charts and make money trading. Opportunities a plenty in up or down markets.

traquer

Reaction score
Biden isn't going to want riots (nobody does) so they'll keep printing and giving away money and cause inflation (but to what degree who knows). This is all I know. Stay in stocks, crypto and precious metals?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Hopefully! We have some projects that have been put off, that I would really like to sink my teeth into. Not to mention, more time to study charts and make money trading. Opportunities a plenty in up or down markets.
I’m in the same boat. I don’t mind the over time and making money, but I could really use some down times for projects

77charger

Reaction score

That’s always the case. IMO it will go down for a bit and come back again line it slways does. Your only losing if you’re selling.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
House payments and property taxes two different payments it will set in this year when there money runs out property taxes is forever

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Since you know Dallas real estate, how much are property taxes in Dallas ? we are always arguing at work amongst us close to retirement.

Check this link out:

Basically around low-2% to high-2% range for Dallas-ish.
Across the state, property tax averages just under 2%.

Some info here (and definitely elsewhere) of how retirees can save money on taxes in the state.

riverroyal

Reaction score
major new home shortage in San Diego. Cant build the fast enough. It wont be this year, its already Feb and new developments are happening.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score

This is why I think it is a great time for the young business owners. Spaces should become more reasonable with the increase of vacancies. That is our son’s plan in the next year.

badgas

Reaction score
Anytime you hear the words "Never again" and "Guaranteed" used to convince you go into debt it is NEVER a great idea and you are likely GUARANTEED to lose your money.

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
The housing market is just like owning stocks. they only go up, up, up.

🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀 🚀

DLC

Reaction score
This Covid recovery has hit 4 trillion..... that’s a shit ton of zeros and comas!

we could pay for 2 great recessions with this Covid carp

476C0271-199D-4CE5-BD24-AACB1B5DB66F.jpeg
A82F5E04-EFBF-4544-9BEC-84279BA0CFBF.jpeg

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
All I want to know is who is buying all the houses in california? Im not smart but I'm not an idiot where is the money coming from to afford a house in california?

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
It doesn't get any plainer than this chart all gain and no pain we have far eclipsed the last high.

1612305024619.png

Wages have been lagging behind.

1612305278782.png

This is the definition of unsustainable.

The housing market isnt even where the pain is... Its just along for the ride.

boatnam2

Reaction score
Drove through 1-2 million dollar homes in Pasadena the other day letting my GF show me where she grew up at, every home that was up for sale for the for sale sign was in Chinese.