WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Midwest Farm Tour 2.0

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Thanks @snowhammer . Not as big as it looks. Back in ‘81 when it was built it was state of the art, but today it should be half again as big with sidewalls 6 feet taller and bigger doors. 66x100 does well though

Lp radiant heaters. You can see the reflectors on the top of the photo with the new cart. Heating the concrete floors with those, even in weather conditions like we currently have, opening the doors to get equipment in and out, moments after the doors are closed, you can’t tell they were ever opened.
I have radiant in my shop as well. The only downside is when I wash trucks and equipment the humidity builds up. I run a box fan on low to keep the air circulating.

That is a good looking grain cart, local mfr. Those things are hard on tires it seems.

Do you self perform maintenance on your tractors? I have heard that it is more difficult to do, as in a computer is required.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I have radiant in my shop as well. The only downside is when I wash trucks and equipment the humidity builds up. I run a box fan on low to keep the air circulating.

That is a good looking grain cart, local mfr. Those things are hard on tires it seems.

Do you self perform maintenance on your tractors? I have heard that it is more difficult to do, as in a computer is required.
We do most all our own maintenance on most all our equipment. You’re right with the technology we have to get the service department from the dealership to come out. They have a couple guys that are beyond good at their job.

I commented once to him about my years of seat time experience being a benefit if I ever wanted a new career as a equipment salesman. His response was yes, I would be, and for a lot longer than him going the other way. Without the proprietary technology he has access to as a tech, he would be basically useless to a farmer in about six months diagnostics wise. His work ethic I’d hire him in a heartbeat, but I’d be standing in line behind all his other customers too.

Andy B.

Reaction score
Added a new tractor to the fleet this week. Was gonna add a two track model, but this one I believe will be more versatile. We shall see with time.
View attachment 962239

That's cool what are the advantages of having those tracks instead of wheels? Can you go on the road or do you trailer to your field? Probably stupid questions but the only experience I have is with a JD riding lawn mower. 😁

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
That's cool what are the advantages of having those tracks instead of wheels? Can you go on the road or do you trailer to your field? Probably stupid questions but the only experience I have is with a JD riding lawn mower. 😁
No stupid questions here. Point of the whole show is to be informative and enjoyable. Won’t know if ya don’t ask.

Yes, we can use it just like a standard wheel tractor on the roads. Actually should do less damage to road surfaces as there is less weight per square inch with the tracks. A little rougher ride, but still has pretty darn good suspension. The advantage over tires is the floatation and reduced compaction. Even in dry conditions these should “float” over the ground with less rutting and compaction, while putting more horsepower on the ground, using less power to do the same job, thus less fuel—in theory. In our sandy soils, when in heavy pulling situations, we see “power hop” with tires, and the damn things will bounce like a rubber ball. This won’t, but for most applications, this isn’t the main reason for going to the tracks With this particular tractor.
Kinda looking forward to putting it in the dirt to see how it does. And how it pulls that cart this fall.

Nokomis

Nobody
Reaction score
My girl Blu having fun in the snow.

1613101891925.png

1613102088098.png

Wedgy

Reaction score
So. March roared in like a Lion. Come on Spring, except for the wind. Hope all is well up there in farm country in the Great Wbite North!

Meet a few interesting Older Farmers, retired, at Danny's, the Hole on the Wall Vehicle Inspection place. One Farmer said he ran open Tractors. Cotton strippers were implements and only stripped 2 rows.

Haven't ran across anybody yet who knew Uncle Buck, the Farmer, in Anton. But in the Country Assessor books the family farm/land is still shown going back to Grandma Laura Roe. Here's to you Grandma!

Here's to Spring, an even melt, rain just right. God willing and the Creek don't rise.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Started spring field work today. We have a couple fields that are part of our land trade deal with a neighbor that were later harvested carrots last year that we left them alone after harvest. The carrot tops and overall residue left at harvest keep the field from blowing over the winter, and working the field after would allow it to blow because the cover crop would not have time to get enough growth. But unfortunately, the harvest process also leaves the field rather hard.

To combat the compaction, we ran a chisel plow through the field yesterday, and spread oats as a fast growing cover crop, which this video is of me running a soil finisher to incorporate the cover crop. We only have one primary tillage tractor, with a few tillage tools that are all large enough that that tractor is the only one that can pull them. This soil finisher is one of those larger tools. It is 45 ft, 9 in wide, and pulls kinda hard. To try to accomplish both the chisel and cover at the same time, I thought I’d hook it to the new 8RX tractor I posted about back in post 89.

Not too surprised, but a little bit so. It can pull the finisher at a decent pace of 6 mph. Here’s a quick video I took as I was getting started. First day out in the field for this new tractor, and so far I’m impressed with the power, pulling, and ride.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Always impressive to watch how easily a real tractor can pull that size piece of equipment, and through that wide a patch of soil. Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke...none of those trucks stand a chance!
Glad to see spring coming!

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Started spring field work today. We have a couple fields that are part of our land trade deal with a neighbor that were later harvested carrots last year that we left them alone after harvest. The carrot tops and overall residue left at harvest keep the field from blowing over the winter, and working the field after would allow it to blow because the cover crop would not have time to get enough growth. But unfortunately, the harvest process also leaves the field rather hard.

To combat the compaction, we ran a chisel plow through the field yesterday, and spread oats as a fast growing cover crop, which this video is of me running a soil finisher to incorporate the cover crop. We only have one primary tillage tractor, with a few tillage tools that are all large enough that that tractor is the only one that can pull them. This soil finisher is one of those larger tools. It is 45 ft, 9 in wide, and pulls kinda hard. To try to accomplish both the chisel and cover at the same time, I thought I’d hook it to the new 8RX tractor I posted about back in post 89.

Not too surprised, but a little bit so. It can pull the finisher at a decent pace of 6 mph. Here’s a quick video I took as I was getting started. First day out in the field for this new tractor, and so far I’m impressed with the power, pulling, and ride.

How wide is that plow ?

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Thought I’d add a little video of the soil finisher I am running being switched from transport to field ready. As I said earlier, it is 45 ft 9 inches wide while running in the field. During transport, its 16 ft 4 inches wide, and less than 13 ft 6 high.

Bitchen

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t been keeping the thread up. Been a lot going on around the farm here in Cheeseland. Thought I’d add a shot of the new dry bean harvester that just hit the yard this week. We will be harvesting kidney beans with this. The second pic is one I got of it while it was at the State Farm Tech Days a couple weeks ago, but it shows it with the dump hopper partially raised. Got her hoo up to the tractor today, and hope to be starting the harvest next week pending weather.

8E71CC24-56DF-4312-957A-23BA5BA9BA5C.jpeg

7519E36B-B1E0-4DDD-A5D4-39BC07DAE2C6.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I hope all is going well for the farmers in the heartland. With all this BS in our country as well as others, people seem to forget the simple needs humans have...air, food and water.
I hope the cost of diesel doesn't kill you or your friends' season either.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Good to hear you're coming around into Harvest time. Stay with it TDF!
Glad you posted up. Sycamores here just started turning. Exciting!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Took a short video of the hopper on the bean harvester dumping and working back down. I am just working the hopper up and down to get air out of the system. Keep in mind the pivot pin is roughly 14 feet in the air, and the hopper is about 15 feet wide, or there about. That means at full extension, the top of the machine is about 30 feet in the air. I will be starting to harvest mid week next week, and will try to post more videos then.

Headless hula

I’ve found boating heaven in Florida!
Reaction score
Took a short video of the hopper on the bean harvester dumping and working back down. I am just working the hopper up and down to get air out of the system. Keep in mind the pivot pin is roughly 14 feet in the air, and the hopper is about 15 feet wide, or there about. That means at full extension, the top of the machine is about 30 feet in the air. I will be starting to harvest mid week next week, and will try to post more videos then.

Don’t try and run that bitch in the wind. 😳

God knows the wind up there blows harder than a bus load of queers. 😜😜😜

HydroSkreamin

StressEliminator
Reaction score
That’s a cool harvester.

Do the hydraulics work both directions or is it gravity return?

Never heard of Pickett brand. Are they made over in Pickett, WI?

We’ll have to get you and the Mrs out for a ride in the StressEliminator while it’s still nice out.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
That’s a cool harvester.

Do the hydraulics work both directions or is it gravity return?

Never heard of Pickett brand. Are they made over in Pickett, WI?

We’ll have to get you and the Mrs out for a ride in the StressEliminator while it’s still nice out.
Hydraulic up and down. The main machine is built in Brazil, but Pickett is out of Burley, Idaho. Not exactly sure what they add that isn’t part of the Brazilian part.

We would love to get together and take a ride in the StressEliminator. Just gotta find a few minutes to get away.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
This statement made me curious. Is there a moisture gauge in the harvester? If the beans are too dry to harvest, what do you guys do to get the moisture count up?
Good question. No, there isn’t any moisture sensors in the harvester, unfortunately. When I say too dry, that’s kinda two fold. To properly answer this, I need to add a little info. First, to get all the beans to an equal level of mature, we have desiccated the plants. Then, once we have given them sufficient time to die, we can start the harvest process.

Now the dry issues. The beans, when ready to harvest, have a dry, leather like pod that when they have a little dampness from dew or rain, or irritation, can be handled rather well. However, once that pod gets completely dry, which happens rather quickly with warm breezy days, they pop open and shed the beans extremely easily. Therefore, they need to be a bit ”tough” to do the rodding, or windrowing. But then the plants and pods have to be dry enough to thresh thoroughly when run through the harvester.

Now the second part. The beans themselves are also an issue. Thus the reason for this new harvester. We need to be able to harvest them dry enough that we aren’t getting docked by the buyer for drying charges, but not so dry that we are doing damage to the beans themselves. We get a premium for delivering loads with 5% or less skin damage. With our previous harvest process, that moisture number was 16%. We saw significant increases in damage at or below that point. But the issues with above that 16% range is the plants are still pretty moist. That plant moisture caused a lot of issues inside the combine and ultimately caused damage once it dried. Major headache. This new harvester, made specifically for kidney beans is much more gentle, yet effective in the threshing process that hopefully will allow the ability to harvest dryer and still not cause bean damage. Now to get the rodding process down. Oh yeah, run that at night.

Thanks for the question. Hopefully I explained it thoroughly. Sorry for the long answer.

RichL

Reaction score
Good question. No, there isn’t any moisture sensors in the harvester, unfortunately. When I say too dry, that’s kinda two fold. To properly answer this, I need to add a little info. First, to get all the beans to an equal level of mature, we have desiccated the plants. Then, once we have given them sufficient time to die, we can start the harvest process.

Now the dry issues. The beans, when ready to harvest, have a dry, leather like pod that when they have a little dampness from dew or rain, or irritation, can be handled rather well. However, once that pod gets completely dry, which happens rather quickly with warm breezy days, they pop open and shed the beans extremely easily. Therefore, they need to be a bit ”tough” to do the rodding, or windrowing. But then the plants and pods have to be dry enough to thresh thoroughly when run through the harvester.

Now the second part. The beans themselves are also an issue. Thus the reason for this new harvester. We need to be able to harvest them dry enough that we aren’t getting docked by the buyer for drying charges, but not so dry that we are doing damage to the beans themselves. We get a premium for delivering loads with 5% or less skin damage. With our previous harvest process, that moisture number was 16%. We saw significant increases in damage at or below that point. But the issues with above that 16% range is the plants are still pretty moist. That plant moisture caused a lot of issues inside the combine and ultimately caused damage once it dried. Major headache. This new harvester, made specifically for kidney beans is much more gentle, yet effective in the threshing process that hopefully will allow the ability to harvest dryer and still not cause bean damage. Now to get the rodding process down. Oh yeah, run that at night.

Thanks for the question. Hopefully I explained it thoroughly. Sorry for the long answer.
Very interesting.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Learning alot about farm stuff TDF. I love talking to the Older guys, see them at the yearly vehicle inspections Texas requires.

Cotton crop here on the South Plains is Epic. Wettest July in all but 30 years of records. The Dryland Cotton crop looks exceptionally well this year. Nicest I've seen in my 6 years here, so. Getting it all out if the field will be a big job this year. Sure looks nice to see.

Cotton harvest is changing from Strippers filling Boll buggys, filling module builders, to Round bales baled inside the Strippers, like hay.

Like you say, can't let them get clogged up. I heard they can catch fire! Safety First.

I dig it here, looking out across open farm fields, as far as the eye can see in every direction out to the flat horizon. Big Country out here in the Dirt of West Texas.

Farm ON!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Happened to think to get a couple shots of the rotors this morning while we were making some adjustments. Obviously, if you watched the video of the pickup head running, you saw how the bean plants look and how they get into the machine. Well, once inside, they run through these cylindrical augers that are wrapped with the perforated concaves. This is where the magic happens. The rotor fingers, or threshing elements are what we are adjusting. By turning them more forward or backward, we can speed up or slow down the flow of material, for more or less threshing, which is primarily done by the plant material rubbing against other plant material. We can also set some next to each other in certain locations opposite each other, but very aggressive to cause a stirring action to help the beans trapped within that plant material find a way out and through the concave onto the shaker pan below, and ultimately into the hopper.

The rotors. The shaker pan is below these.
5EA20A43-BD00-425B-8355-DD07B217DAE3.jpeg

82A0DFFE-6419-4518-8D5E-E4EB8013D34B.jpeg

Red gold!
A21EA82B-BBC2-46CE-9E6B-EF92FDDCB730.jpeg

Wedgy

Reaction score
TDF, that is just so very cool. Great shots and thanks for sharing. Roll on Big Mama!

My Leatherneck Friend I met here in Levelland worked Oilfield for most of his career. Garrett, his Son worked as a farm hand for a Cotton farmer here alot of the time, but, like Big Daddy Dave, is an excellent Carpenter. He landed a restoration construction job, and has been working all over Texas, but lately at the Texas Tech Ranching and Heratige Center. After installing and restoring a new/old building there, his latest project has been to Build/restore a Windmill from old plans, as built in the 1800s. I'll try to get pics. Big Timber. Dave is very proud.

Farm ON!

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Finally finished our kidney bean harvest today. Started out that we had about 600 acres of our own, and had committed to another 350 before we even planted. Having made the commitment to purchase the kidney bean harvester to do a better job, I figured the two or three other growers around our area would inquire about having us do a few acres as well once they saw the machine run. I was right. We added an additional 200 acres in the last two weeks. With over 1100 acres through the machine, I can gladly report I covered more acres a day than expected, and with a couple minor glitches, every bit of them were very high quality. And the loss with this machine over our other option was significantly reduced as well.

Heres a few shots a friend took while I was running.
9659D6B1-636E-4814-92D6-863820FA9EBD.jpeg

40B6C57D-FDBF-4FC9-B8F9-7A2BE1DEE1AC.jpeg

B6171125-D080-4618-A0FD-2A437BEE6FC4.jpeg
61407535-CDB8-4F92-B976-E218B35CF0C9.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Glad the machine worked out. Know nothing about farming, but understand spending money for equipment to make jobs better. Sometimes they aren't as great as they say.. and Lord knows that thing wasn't cheap :oops:

Wedgy

Reaction score
Looking good TDF! A good call, happy to see that big step forward in production.

Still need some heat units on the South Plains cotton, but it's starting to turn. Little white patches on the edges of the dryland crop.

The new round module builder Cotton Strippers are changing the cotton harvest here, eliminating Boll buggies, and the stand alone Module builders. The tarp crews too.

I still marvel at the 90 miles of Counties I drive through on the way to the Lake, of cotton fields stretching 360% to the horizon.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score

Hey gang. Been crazy busy for what seems like an eternity. Crops have been looking good all season, and harvest is just getting ramped up. Nothing too exciting in my world, but thought you might enjoy an update.

Got an upgrade on the grain cart this year. Previously has a pair of 875 bushel carts, and upgraded one to a 1325 bushel cart last year, added a new 1550 bushel this year. Efficiency is key with these buggies.

1325 added last year

7A60E38F-71FC-4CFC-98D9-251C49ADAF61.jpeg

Full load headed to the truck

D0AFF4BB-9A4B-439D-B9F9-6E89E0AFFABF.jpeg

the new one coming to get loaded

carry on.

arch stanton

Reaction score
I was thinking about you the other day was wondering what the inside story was on the possibility of food shortages.
I have also moved this twice once to the dealer for major warranty work after a motor replacement and back 2 months latter when they finally got the parts in.

wHxqLsjKQJGYvbpuihVx%Q.jpg
9TWMMdAPStiNmZCKT7SBNA.jpg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
View attachment 1160984
Hey gang. Been crazy busy for what seems like an eternity. Crops have been looking good all season, and harvest is just getting ramped up. Nothing too exciting in my world, but thought you might enjoy an update.

Got an upgrade on the grain cart this year. Previously has a pair of 875 bushel carts, and upgraded one to a 1325 bushel cart last year, added a new 1550 bushel this year. Efficiency is key with these buggies.

1325 added last year

View attachment 1160983

Full load headed to the truck

View attachment 1160981

the new one coming to get loaded
View attachment 1160984

carry on.
Aside from everyone wanting to ask questions about food, fertilizer shortages and of course fuel screwing us all...I have a mundane tractor question:
Your buggy has big floats, but the tires are flipped opposite of traction tires on a tractor. Is this to make it a better towed implement with less drag, or is there another reason? Never seen the chevrons like that, but never been on a farm really either.

Keep up the good work!

yz450mm

Reaction score
Aside from everyone wanting to ask questions about food, fertilizer shortages and of course fuel screwing us all...I have a mundane tractor question:
Your buggy has big floats, but the tires are flipped opposite of traction tires on a tractor. Is this to make it a better towed implement with less drag, or is there another reason? Never seen the chevrons like that, but never been on a farm really either.

Keep up the good work!
I noticed that too, and thinking about it I think that it keeps the tire more on top of the soil rather than the tread bars digging in to gain traction. Makes it more of a flotation tire than a traction tire?

The tread bars would push soil to the center of the tire as it rotates, giving the tire more float. Maybe?

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score

Keep up the good work!
Yes, they are on backward. The main reason is wear. With them on backwards as a non drive tire, they do pull easier that way as well, but wear much better over time than the other way, es during road travel. They also steer easier this way. The steering on the cart is just A trailing steer, with no actual ability to steer, but rather lock straight or allow to trail and steer as needed, if that makes sense.

The tires are 900/60R32’s and have a lot of square inches on the ground. We are finding that with tandems on the bigger carts, full they are causing less compaction than single 30.5-32’s on our smaller cart.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I noticed that too, and thinking about it I think that it keeps the tire more on top of the soil rather than the tread bars digging in to gain traction. Makes it more of a flotation tire than a traction tire?

The tread bars would push soil to the center of the tire as it rotates, giving the tire more float. Maybe?
Never done the research, but your logic seems sound, and they float really well this way, so I would say I concur.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
I was thinking about you the other day was wondering what the inside story was on the possibility of food shortages.
I have also moved this twice once to the dealer for major warranty work after a motor replacement and back 2 months latter when they finally got the parts in.

View attachment 1161021 View attachment 1161020
That sucks that that one needed a new engine. Not sure how many hours it has, and maybe a lot, but i Do know that it is standard with a John Deere engine, as opposed to some of the 9620R’s that have Cummins. That series JD motor is usually relatively bulletproof from my experience.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Bean day today.rocked through some 150 ish acres between the two machines today. Even got the kid in the cart today to learn how to run it. It will be his job next year when he’s back home from school.

Got into some good, above average beans this afternoon too. The monitor screenshot is just a quick shot, but I saw these numbers most all afternoon in this field.
1D4DA94B-2745-426A-B1D2-560239B4BE5C.jpeg

7E00A7B1-E878-4130-9EDE-D893B70DC101.jpeg

09C9DD97-068F-4246-A0FB-1FDE60BC36F9.jpeg

973DC949-FF20-44FD-89C7-680556F6B3D8.jpeg

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
Great day on the farm today. Been pounding hard and harvesting some 150-170 acres a day for a few days now. Still about 3200 acres to go though.

Today, my new combine was delivered. My dealer ordered this machine last summer as a stock machine, and offered us the opportunity to get our name on it last winter, with thoughts it may or may not be here for this years harvest. Well, it made it, sort of, for this year. About half way through the season, but it’s here.
EE7A67FF-A5C2-48E5-A944-3E4316CCD21E.jpeg

EC802936-B2B3-4DC7-B1BF-591614256845.jpeg

Spent about an hour switching GPS receiver, screens, and all the other fun stuff to the new one and back to the field. Other than the controls being a bit different, and some other minor changes, just an upgrade.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Bean day today.rocked through some 150 ish acres between the two machines today. Even got the kid in the cart today to learn how to run it. It will be his job next year when he’s back home from school.

Got into some good, above average beans this afternoon too. The monitor screenshot is just a quick shot, but I saw these numbers most all afternoon in this field.
View attachment 1161457

View attachment 1161460

View attachment 1161464

View attachment 1161462
What does the "n" in the n/min display represent?

snowhammer

Exploratory Vacation Time
Reaction score
Great day on the farm today. Been pounding hard and harvesting some 150-170 acres a day for a few days now. Still about 3200 acres to go though.

Today, my new combine was delivered. My dealer ordered this machine last summer as a stock machine, and offered us the opportunity to get our name on it last winter, with thoughts it may or may not be here for this years harvest. Well, it made it, sort of, for this year. About half way through the season, but it’s here. View attachment 1167601

View attachment 1167602

Spent about an hour switching GPS receiver, screens, and all the other fun stuff to the new one and back to the field. Other than the controls being a bit different, and some other minor changes, just an upgrade.
From duals to super singles? Or are those tires just for transport?

We have been traveling I-90 through the plains this fall. Amazing how many new combines we have seen. Most seem to transport without tires.

Tractorsdontfloat

Reaction score
From duals to super singles? Or are those tires just for transport?

We have been traveling I-90 through the plains this fall. Amazing how many new combines we have seen. Most seem to transport without tires.
The new one has duals. Old one was 600/42’s, new one is 650/42’s. Pic just is at just the right angle to make it look like supers, but it’s not.