WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

School me on Jeeps

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So the wife and I have been wanting a sxs for a while but the prices keep getting higher and higher and when the market returns to normal the resale will go back to be horrible again.

So recently we have thought about buying a jeep. I can use it to commute to work 2 days a week
( better than my 6.4 hemi )
We would have ac and heat while off-roading. Being able to drive to the trail is a benefit.

So if we decide to go down this path what should I look out for? Engine and trans issues? What years are better than others?
Budget would be at the top 25k. Would be used on mild trails. Oh has to be automatic trans. Is that a problem? Must be 4 door. As always reliable is most important.

2Driver

Reaction score
JK would be the be the model years

Rubicon preferred, if not be sure to get Dana 44 axles and 4:10 gears

2012 + has the higher HP V6
2011, 2012 and 2013 had left cylinder head cracking issue, so be sure to inquire if you look at those years. Mopar did extend the warranty for that issue to 150k miles.

I never had an issue with my 2012 but my buddy got a whole new engine out of it

Last edited:

CLdrinker

Reaction score
JK would be the be the model years

Rubicon preferred, if not be sure to get Dana 44 axles and 4:10 gears

2012 + has the higher HP V6
2011, 2012 and 2013 had left cylinder head cracking issue, so be sure to inquire if you look at those years. Mopar did extend the warranty for that issue to 150k miles.

I never had an issue with my 2012 but my buddy got a whole new engine out of it
Over 2012 it is lol

would only Rubicon’s have Dana axles?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rubicons get the Dana 44 and electronic lockers front and rear. A Sahara has a Dana 44 in the rear but a 30 in the front. Most Sahara's have 3.23 gears but some were 4.10 limited slip. Definitely shop 2012 and newer. The 3.8 is a pig and gets horrible mileage. 2012 also switched from a 4 speed auto to a 5 speed auto.

81Sprint

Reaction score
We did the same thing, SXS are nice, but they are just to expensive anymore. I have a 18 JK Unlimited, put full Icon Suspension on it, 2.5 Adjustable reservoirs with 4" springs and and all the body armor and it does everything we want. Rubicon is gonna cost you more to get the DANA 44 in the front and lockers, depends on how you wheel to determine if its worth the extra money but the resale will be higher. Just beware, Jeep stands for
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Day we bought it 2 years ago
Jeep new.jpg

Now

IMG_0826.jpg

81Sprint

Reaction score
Would the Dana 30 be ok with 35’s as long as I don’t hammer on it.
I have 35's on mine, with 4.56 gears and a Dana 30 in the front. Only thing i did was weld in gussets when i had the gears done to strengthen it up, haven't had any issues with it.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Check Carmax as well, they always have a few. I had mine brought from Sacramento to Vegas for $99 with Carmax

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
My 94 Grand Cherokee has Dana axles. They are shit. The word "Dana' does not make an axle great as has been joked about a few times in this thread.
32" tires aired down properly will get the average person out of more problems than over sized 35+ tires with highway pressures.
If one wants to understand traction. learn in the snow. Sand has a few issues when it comes to hills but the flats are far less issues.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I have both SXS and a Jeep. I love them both. But if you are going to go off roading with your friends what do they have? Off roading with a Jeep is a lot slower then off roading with SXS. My SXS is a lot nicer to take out in the desert then my 2018 Rubicon.
My friends have shit but never use it. I have 2 buddy that bought his toy hauler same time I did January 2020. He has used it once. he also has a Jeep that has never seen dirt.
My other buddy hasn’t used his Toyhauler in over a year.
So I don’t rely on anyone.

81Sprint

Reaction score
My friends have shit but never use it. I have 2 buddy that bought his toy hauler same time I did January 2020. He has used it once. he also has a Jeep that has never seen dirt.
My other buddy hasn’t used his Toyhauler in over a year.
So I don’t rely on anyone.
Off roading in a Jeep definitely is slower, but I actually enjoy it. We had a SXS and quads, and have friends that do that. I just like to take my time and enjoy the scenery versus haulin ass through the desert, damn i'm getting old lol. To each their own, i enjoy my jeep a lot more.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
I don't understand why people get Jeeps. There are far better alternatives. Think of an '02-'06 Z71 Tahoe instead (Z71 comes with a locking rear end). Set it up properly with the correct size tires, Bilstein shocks, and a small simple lift and you'll be good to go for far less money than you'll have into a Jeep.

V8 power, more room on the inside, and a wheelbase that is the same as a 4 door Rubicon. Air the tires down some when you get to the trail, do your offroading, air back up at the end of the day, and do 80 easily on the highway on the way home. If you want to stay the night in a remote location and rough it a bit, put the rear seats down and sleep in it. Also capable of towing trailer if you ever need to. A Jeep can do none of these things.

My dad has a Rubicon and can't keep up on trails where you can step up the speed some but are a little rough.

It's still going to be slower than a SxS or other more offroad oriented type vehicle, but @yz450mm will tell you what I did this past weekend in my Tahoe with his group of side by sides. Not too shabby. I have maybe $8K into my Tahoe all said and done, including the vehicle itself.

If you want to do serious rock crawling and really tough trails, then a more purpose built offroad vehicle might be the better option, but then you're also out of the realm of commuting to work twice a week and having a vehicle that can be used for other things too.

Give it some thought. Never ran into a Jeep that could outdo the Tahoe.

zhandfull

Reaction score
I have 35's on mine, with 4.56 gears and a Dana 30 in the front. Only thing i did was weld in gussets when i had the gears done to strengthen it up, haven't had any issues with it.
35’s with 4:88 gears in mine. No issues to date with occasional weekend off-roading with a Dana 30. IMO Rubicon upgrade money is better spent on personal upgrades to the Jeep unless leaving it stock.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I don't understand why people get Jeeps. There are far better alternatives. Think of an '02-'06 Z71 Tahoe instead (Z71 comes with a locking rear end). Set it up properly with the correct size tires, Bilstein shocks, and a small simple lift and you'll be good to go for far less money than you'll have into a Jeep.

V8 power, more room on the inside, and a wheelbase that is the same as a 4 door Rubicon. Air the tires down some when you get to the trail, do your offroading, air back up at the end of the day, and do 80 easily on the highway on the way home. If you want to stay the night in a remote location and rough it a bit, put the rear seats down and sleep in it. Also capable of towing trailer if you ever need to. A Jeep can do none of these things.

My dad has a Rubicon and can't keep up on trails where you can step up the speed some but are a little rough.

It's still going to be slower than a SxS or other more offroad oriented type vehicle, but @yz450mm will tell you what I did this past weekend in my Tahoe with his group of side by sides. Not too shabby. I have maybe $8K into my Tahoe all said and done, including the vehicle itself.

If you want to do serious rock crawling and really tough trails, then a more purpose built offroad vehicle might be the better option, but then you're also out of the realm of commuting to work twice a week and having a vehicle that can be used for other things too.

Give it some thought. Never ran into a Jeep that could outdo the Tahoe.

cool story. Enjoy your Tahoe. Watch out for those ifs ball joints though.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I would only get one if it’s not your daily driver. Based on my 08’. Great for a weekend but wouldn't want to drive it all the time.

zhandfull

Reaction score
My Jeep
1. Daily driver
2. RV toad
3. Glamis fun with family
4. Trail fun on weekends
5. Fun in the snow / mountains
6. Pulls a small trailer when I need a truck
7. Top comes off for cruising the beach
It’s the Swiss Army knife of vehicles and it’s actually fun to drive.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I would only get one if it’s not your daily driver. Based on my 08’. Great for a weekend but wouldn't want to drive it all the time.
I will only drive it to work twice a week. Apple Valley to Rialto.

WYRD

Reaction score
I think you have a tongue puller or fifth wheel RV right? One thing to consider is you won't be able to take a Jeep in your toy hauler so if you camp and want to off-road you and the wife would be both driving. We have an '06 TJ Rubicon, Jeeps are fun but as others noted entirely different experience than a side-by-side. The trails around us have gotten increasingly crowded lately so we hardly use the Jeep at all anymore. I occasionally drive it to work just to put a few miles on it.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I will only drive it to work twice a week. Apple Valley to Rialto.
If you get a hardtop, get insulated headliner panels, it makes a huge difference. They don't come with them but it helps the A/C and Heating keep up plus cuts the road noise down.

Your ad here

Reaction score
My experience,

2002 ish 2 door wrangler. Straight 6 and a 5 speed with 33s. Fun on the trails but driving on the road was like riding a skateboard with speed wobbles. Soft top and loud.

2008 4 door wrangler. V6 and auto. Has 35s and is a gutless turd and doesn't have the power to get into OD. Terrible mileage and really loud being it's a half door model. Regear may help the lack of power.

Both are hard to get in and out of since the floor is below the bottom of the door opening.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I think you have a tongue puller or fifth wheel RV right? One thing to consider is you won't be able to take a Jeep in your toy hauler so if you camp and want to off-road you and the wife would be both driving. We have an '06 TJ Rubicon, Jeeps are fun but as others noted entirely different experience than a side-by-side. The trails around us have gotten increasingly crowded lately so we hardly use the Jeep at all anymore. I occasionally drive it to work just to put a few miles on it.
Yup she has to drive it. That’s one way to keep her out of my mirror while making right hand turns!! Lol

Reactions: DLC

WYRD

Reaction score
And if you're going to end up building it up I would forgo the extra cost of Rubicon if you would rather have something with a decent mild setup right out of the box then rubicons have decent factory options.

2Driver

Reaction score
Over 2012 it is lol

would only Rubicon’s have Dana axles?
Its not the Dana its the size. Id prefer the 44 but if you end up with the smaller axle so be it but get the bigger gears. BTW screw 35” just put on 34” it will work the same and give you more power

Honestly when I see the fucked up mods people have done on jeeps I would rather find a snowbird stock jeep over some of the molested POS mall crawlers

Singleton

Reaction score

not 100 accurate.
my 4 door JKUR fits on 35’s. Will fit 37’s as well
2x6 frame with 19.5 capacity
Purchased it from a RDP member. Purpose built for a Jeep while staying under 35’ for all Federal and State parks

Attachments

• 9DD1D18C-0E1B-42FA-AA2D-05A7259B8DD0.jpeg
    9DD1D18C-0E1B-42FA-AA2D-05A7259B8DD0.jpeg
    241.1 KB · Views: 149

Singleton

Reaction score
My JK can go anywhere my buddies CanAm can do. I am just usually 5 minutes behind. The big rollers slow me down. Hydraulic bump stops plus adjustable Falcon shocks allow me to go faster then most Jeep’s in the desert.
However, I am dry when he is soaked from rain, I am dust free when he is covered in dust.

wanted a SXS, but the 4 door Jeep was the best addition to the fleet.
now getting into overland Jeep and hiking adventures with the family. Up next, AZ Peace Trail.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
And if you're going to end up building it up I would forgo the extra cost of Rubicon if you would rather have something with a decent mild setup right out of the box then rubicons have decent factory options.
It won’t go past small lift, wheels and tires, winch and lights.
it’s going to be a family cruiser that I won’t care about scratches or dents.

I would like to get a Rubicon but will probably be outside my budget unless it has a bunch of miles.

I’m pretty sure a bone stock Rubicon will go anywhere I want to.

badgas

Reaction score
From my expierence Jeeps are not fun to drive as a daily. I have had two them. Depending on your style of off road driving an 4runner or FJ cruiser will be a WAY nicer ride on the roads and on freeways. Also a nicer ride on trails especially if you like to go a little faster. The IFS makes the ride much better and still has a locker in rear. I have had my FJ in Glamis, Mountians all over the high desert with Jeeps and trucks etc. We did Moreno Valley to laughlin all off road with two FJ's a 4runner a Raptor and JK unlimited rubicon. The jeep driver did not enjoy the ride at the speed we were going.

However If heavy rock crawling is your thing then you will want the live axle up front and go the jeep route. If you plan on flat towing it the Toyota's are a no go.

I like jeeps and would not mind another one someday but not as a daily.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
From my expierence Jeeps are not fun to drive as a daily. I have had two them. Depending on your style of off road driving an 4runner or FJ cruiser will be a WAY nicer ride on the roads and on freeways. Also a nicer ride on trails especially if you like to go a little faster. The IFS makes the ride much better and still has a locker in rear. I have had my FJ in Glamis, Mountians all over the high desert with Jeeps and trucks etc. We did Moreno Valley to laughlin all off road with two FJ's a 4runner a Raptor and JK unlimited rubicon. The jeep driver did not enjoy the ride at the speed we were going.

However If heavy rock crawling is your thing then you will want the live axle up front and go the jeep route. If you plan on flat towing it the Toyota's are a no go.

I like jeeps and would not mind another one someday but not as a daily.
It would be a third vehicle. So I would only be driving it when I wanted to. I have a 3/4ton now so I’m used to rough ride.

81Sprint

Reaction score
I put a Teraflex 3.5" lift on mine when i first got it, it did the job, was really inexpensive plus very easy to install. After awhile i decided to upgrade to Icon and it made a huge difference in the ride on and off road, also went with dual rate coil springs. My Jeep's ride is very comfortable. It is not a daily driver but i can't complain about the ride at all.

IVD shocks.jpg
Icon Shocks.jpg

Singleton

Reaction score
I put a Teraflex 3.5" lift on mine when i first got it, it did the job, was really inexpensive plus very easy to install. After awhile i decided to upgrade to Icon and it made a huge difference in the ride on and off road, also went with dual rate coil springs. My Jeep's ride is very comfortable. It is not a daily driver but i can't complain about the ride at all.

View attachment 975102 View attachment 975103

what dual rate springs did you go with
i have a 3.5 lift on my Jeep and the springs are showing signs of sagging

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I just watched a stock Rubicon in Moab on you tube.
That’s plenty for me. 2.5 lift to keep from dragging so much and I’m good.

JD D05

Reaction score
My JK can go anywhere my buddies CanAm can do. I am just usually 5 minutes behind. The big rollers slow me down. Hydraulic bump stops plus adjustable Falcon shocks allow me to go faster then most Jeep’s in the desert.
However, I am dry when he is soaked from rain, I am dust free when he is covered in dust.

now getting into overland Jeep and hiking adventures with the family. Up next, AZ Peace Trail.

Exactly what I did. Have a few overland trips planned. Devils Race Track next.
20210204_200351.jpg
20210204_200338.jpg

PlanB

Reaction score
Been in Havasu the past 10 days and have been using both the new Can Am and our modded Rubicon. Two different animals, but I would not give up the Jeep. It’s actually cool to take both out back to back. You will be much slower in a Jeep, but they will go anywhere a SxS will with a decent setup.

81Sprint

Reaction score

Overlanding looks like so much fun, and gets you to the better scenery, but i can't get the wife to agree. She wants a toilet and won't sleep in a tent, can't say i blame her so we just haul the toyhauler out and use it as a base camp. Quite a few youtube channels for overlanding, TrailRecon is a good one, actually used his discount code to get 20% off on my KC lights.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It would be a third vehicle. So I would only be driving it when I wanted to. I have a 3/4ton now so I’m used to rough ride.
In that case, and I know everyone’s tastes and wants are different, but I’d be considering a classic. Like a Commando.
Some years have V8s, and will actually fit in some toy haulers.
676CB127-7C11-4F28-B31F-194A77E7AB03.jpeg