WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Adventures with Rob

Taboma

Reaction score
Due to the lack of any keel and a flat bottom and one fuck of a lot of mass --- these Mark 8's can be spun on a dime and are amazingly maneuverable. Also their lack of much superstructure makes them less susceptible to windage --- but then there's that no keel deal.
What one really needs to consider with these and with newbie skippers in training ---- Newton's 1st law, with particular attention to the 2nd half of that law --- about things in motion tending to stay in motion. When using the engines to spin it in reverse, the bow, with that massive ramp, had a tendency to keep right on coming around.
Judicious use of the throttle was advised. :oops:
The shop welders were kept quite busy re-welding on railing stanchions, and those steel and aluminum hulls had plenty of "Opps" dents.
Those fiberglass boats on either end of Rob's Mike Boat, wouldn't stand a chance if he just decided to pull on out and not be graceful about it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Due to the lack of any keel and a flat bottom and one fuck of a lot of mass --- these Mark 8's can be spun on a dime and are amazingly maneuverable. Also their lack of much superstructure makes them less susceptible to windage --- but then there's that no keel deal.
What one really needs to consider with these and with newbie skippers in training ---- Newton's 1st law, with particular attention to the 2nd half of that law --- about things in motion tending to stay in motion. When using the engines to spin it in reverse, the bow, with that massive ramp, had a tendency to keep right on coming around.
Judicious use of the throttle was advised. :oops:
The shop welders were kept quite busy re-welding on railing stanchions, and those steel and aluminum hulls had plenty of "Opps" dents.
Those fiberglass boats on either end of Rob's Mike Boat, wouldn't stand a chance if he just decided to pull on out and not be graceful about it.

pretty sure the one is a steel yacht?

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Don’t know when your FIL will depart Ensenada, but they’re catching big Blue Fin Tuna not too far south of there. Could make for a nice shake down run after departing the boat yard.

Taboma

Reaction score
Hopefully if he's even got a rod on the boat, he's got a Mex license, fishing or not.
Wonder how much "Federal" attention this boat will attract heading back norte from Mex waters ?

Dave, did you mention what Rob's plans are in AK for this vessel ? Run supplies to isolated areas ? or install a cat-walk and convert into a 3/4 day fishing boat ? Certainly a stable platform and you fish a lot of guys around the perimeter of the hold. Plus if you get a really big one, just drop the front ramp and scoop it up. 😁

ford 4x429

Reaction score
This is already a great thread. Looking forward to any up dates. I’ve made that run up and back to British Columbia a few times. Seems like there’s always a few days you get your ass kicked by weather either coming or going. Best place to jump on would be once he enters Pugent Sound. Then make the run up the inland passage with him. That’s a nice trip. There’s one tight spot called Seymour Narrows, where the tidal current coming at you is so strong a 10 knot boat is unable to make headway. No problem, you just wait it out, then catch the slack or favorable tide/current. Very good to hear your FIL got his shit back. Usually a very slim chance of that.
I live about 50 miles to the south of Seymore Narrows across from Denman /Hornby islands at Union Bay...Ran Seymor hundreds of times going to and from work logging up here... Google the Narrows , the largest non-nuclear explosion... quite a story... I'll be following this thread closely as well

bocco

Reaction score
So does he plan to drive this all the way to Alaska? Or did I miss something.

Dana757

Reaction score
Thanks, now I want a landing craft! lol This will be really cool to follow along.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Great story but the big take away to me is when I do my semi annual San Diego trip is either hide everything in the truck, or take everything up to the hotel room with you. 2 years ago when I went I never hear of stealing catalytic converters so as you can’t take that to the room I guess you just have to pray it’s there in the morning.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
How long before it shows up in the channel in havasu?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Hopefully if he's even got a rod on the boat, he's got a Mex license, fishing or not.
Wonder how much "Federal" attention this boat will attract heading back norte from Mex waters ?

Mex fishing licenses are a must, and typically easy to attain. US flag vessels north bound from Ensenada are common. The Kilcher’s on the The Alaskan’s series have a similar boat.

Dave, did you mention what Rob's plans are in AK for this vessel ? Run supplies to isolated areas ? or install a cat-walk and convert into a 3/4 day fishing boat ? Certainly a stable platform and you fish a lot of guys around the perimeter of the hold. Plus if you get a really big one, just drop the front ramp and scoop it up. 😁

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I believe his intention is to drive it up to AK and haul loads for people. Something like this can make something like 35k a day in the right circumstances..

Taboma

Reaction score
I believe his intention is to drive it up to AK and haul loads for people. Something like this can make something like 35k a day in the right circumstances..

Perfect boat for that in every respect, they just need a bit more cabin area and a few niceties for overnighting. Great plan 👍

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
If you get a wild hair and want to get on that as he heads el norte I'd recommend linking up in Sand Diego and riding to any port up from there based on how much boating you wanna grab on that vessel. Getting down to Ensenada is a task as you know while simply joining in SD is easy.... he'll have to stop there and show docs to Port Authority folks [Always a trip] and you could rendezvous easily.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
your father in law sounds like a cool guy to have some beers with and hear his stories. Kinda like my grandfather.
He's a Great Guy with Big Balls !!!

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
He ended up driving around and found the brief case discarded and missing all the paperwork.. not far from there he found the people that stole it.. lol.

View attachment 970432
He gets into a Mexican standoff with the guy and blocks their car in with his truck and said they can leave when he gets his shit back.

After some time the guy gets bold and gets a hammer out and sets it in the roof of his car.. Rob says “what’s that for?” The guy says “protection”. Rob saysyou are gonna need a bigger hammer.” Lol. The situation deteriorated and the guys figure out on the quick that this situation someone is gonna end up dead if it keeps on the path.. Some guy comes out of an apartment and all of a sudden the guy he has cornered produces all the paperwork and gives it back..

Shitty pic but this is the car blocked in with his truck View attachment 970423
I wouldn't mess with him !!!

SOCALCRICKETT

Reaction score
Dave we found your new boat, easy on the ankle and can handle the water that LOTO can throw at it![emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Bildge plumbing is done!

1B9BE29D-C051-46BD-B4DD-009C8CDB4D24.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes I believe so! He just said bilge plumbing

RD

Pretty sophisticated compartmentalized bilge water pumping and discharge system, including oil separator and holding tank on those Mike 8's.

nuckingfuts

Reaction score
I had a good conversation with Rob and would have liked to go help him with the lcm.
It's to bad the timing didn't work out. I am talking to a guy right now about taking a 128 ft, tug boat from Port Angeles Wa. down to San Deigo

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So Rob came back to Havasu for a day abd said hello to the dog..

He grabbed his trailer from Jason and Doniel down at the sandbar resort and headed back to Mexico.

he parked the trailer on the barge. I’m not sure what the plan is here but he might scavenge the AC unit off of it or something and then abandon it in Mexico.. lol.

Either way this is the current state of affairs. There is a full time guy working on the boat now.

B3E376F3-5AB7-4588-924A-433D35AB0A47.jpeg

hallett21

Reaction score
Maybe I missed it. Did he buy this down there or just having the work done?

Can’t wait to see how this turns out[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Landing crafts are bad ass if you want to haul a bunch of stuff to the middle of nowhere.. he go a deal on this one and is upgrading it

I wasn't saying that in a negative way. Its seriously interesting to me. Crazy story too.

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
He could bring that boat to Havasu and make a fortune.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it. Did he buy this down there or just having the work done?

Can’t wait to see how this turns out[emoji1303]

He bought it at a government auction had it hauled to San Diego.. Then he drove it to Ensenada to a shipyard to have a wheel house and living quarters put on the back of it..

When it’s done he will drive it from there to Alaska and haul loads with it. it will make approximately 35k a day before expenses..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He could bring that boat to Havasu and make a fortune.

He has another 45’ one and was asking me about running cars and loads across the lake to the landing and the palms etc..

I don’t think the local municipalities would allow it to be honest.

hallett21

Reaction score
He bought it at a government auction had it hauled to San Diego.. Then he drove it to Ensenada to a shipyard to have a wheel house and living quarters put on the back of it..

When it’s done he will drive it from there to Alaska and haul loads with it. it will make approximately 35k a day before expenses..

Jesus even if fuel was 10k that’s damn good money

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Ok so I’m gonna try to upload these in somewhat of an order but doubtful I will get it right.

This was the boat when it got down to Ensenada.. notice the graphiti.. Also take note he put his little camper trailer on deck which is what he was sleep By in for awhile etc.. he also had his 2500 on deck when we went down.

6756D860-FEAC-421A-B7C1-36B759040A0F.jpeg
49B91DE2-CECD-4347-AE79-EE9FE847F7CB.jpeg
766BFAB3-1DEF-44C6-8538-BC4D8155CC12.jpeg
FAB2C77B-9A6C-4F10-8676-2EF57EB126C4.jpeg
F0F459AF-E4B5-4D70-BA56-BDD5C8D10105.jpeg
5E541654-0B09-4CC9-921F-F99DF87AD9B0.jpeg
37273031-A116-4FEB-869E-1E7518BAF27E.jpeg
AF6B0CB1-A50C-4BD8-8FCD-8883BD1C7629.jpeg
A6CA1A8B-538B-4099-8DDA-EC763F2A44FB.jpeg
D83479AC-2586-45B8-B096-1A9D524A695C.jpeg
560FADA2-CB50-4A90-B031-F8852137AAED.jpeg
C657CB26-27EC-4ABD-A4FF-534F7DA5FC54.jpeg

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Disregard the black dot in every one of his photos.. lol it’s his phone it got smashed and has that mark forever after

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Disregard the black dot in every one of his photos.. lol it’s his phone it got smashed and has that mark forever after
The phone can be fixed. Just did my wife's cost $16

Taboma

Reaction score
Came out awesome, love the colors 👍

Taboma

Reaction score
He might sell it or he might keep it.. not sure what the plan is right now?

I know the number is 375k though.. lol.

Not surprised at the price after having checked a few for sale when you first posted about him acquiring it. Especially as good as it looks now. Thanks for following up on this story.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Amazing cargo weight carrying capacity for these. The larger bridge could have been a considerable item for the vessel’s stability and reduced the load capacity. But, it sure would have been nice for the longer trips. Looks good.