WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Just How Much Is One Billion?

KevinR

Reaction score
My Dad sent me this. Some of you have no doubt already seen this but it really put me back in my chair.

The next time you hear a politician use the
Word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about
whether you want the 'politicians' spending
YOUR tax money.

A billion is a difficult number to comprehend,
But one advertising agency did a good job of
Putting that figure into some perspective in
One of its releases.

A.
A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

B.
A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

C.
A billion hours ago our ancestors were
living in the Stone Age.

D.
A billion days ago no-one walked on the earth on two feet.

E.
A billion dollars ago was only
8 hours and 20 minutes,
at the rate our government
is spending it.

While this thought is still fresh in our brain...

let's take a look at New Orleans ...
It's amazing what you can learn with some simple division.

Louisiana Senator,
Mary Landrieu (D)
was asking Congress for
250 BILLION DOLLARS
To rebuild New Orleans . Interesting number...
What does it mean?

A.
Well .. If you are one of the 484,674 residents of New Orleans
(every man, woman and child)
You
each get $516,528

B.
Or... If you have one of the 188,251 homes in
New Orleans , your home gets$1,329,787.

C.
Or... If you are a family of four...
Your family gets$2,066,012.

Washington , D.C

HELLO!

Are all your calculators broken??

Building Permit Tax
CDL License Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Federal Income Tax (Fed)
Federal Unemployment Tax (FU TA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax)
IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Tax
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service charge Taxes
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax (Truckers)
Sales Taxes
Recreational Vehicle Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax
Telephone State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Tax
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax
(And to think, we left British Rule to avoid so many taxes)

STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago...

And our nation was the most prosperous in the world.

We had absolutely no national debt...

We had the largest middle class in the world...
And Mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened?
Can you spell
'politicians'!

And I still have to
Press '1'
For English.

I hope this goes around the
USA
At least 100 times

What the heck has happened to our country?????

nowski

Reaction score
I heard somewhere: If you wanted to transport 150 billion, you would have to hire on at least 4 cargo planes. If you need help to only move a billion let me see what I can do...

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
No, I think the statement puts meaning behind a word. We've become a country that now uses the word trillions with increasing regularity. That's just a word, and carries no meaning...until it is brought into context.

Enen

Reaction score
Here is an interesting vid Tony Robbins did a few years ago. It really puts into perspective the financial challenges Washington has created.

Universal Elements

Reaction score
My Dad sent me this. Some of you have no doubt already seen this but it really put me back in my chair.

After seeing all those numbers, no wonder they are now saying....

4Waters

Reaction score
hmm.....

Louisiana Senator,
Mary Landrieu (D)
was asking Congress for
250 BILLION DOLLARS
To rebuild New Orleans .

Ok yup I missed it but the way you read it it's an attack on your (democratic) party. The way I (a Republican) read it it's attack on all politicians.

wzuber

Reaction score
Ok yup I missed it but the way you read it it's an attack on your (democratic) party. The way I (a Republican) read it it's attack on all politicians.
You did NOT miss anything.....the libiots are missing critical brain cells that allow them to comprehend the blatant and obvious.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
You did NOT miss anything.....the libiots are missing critical brain cells that allow them to comprehend the the blatant and obvious.
Well no I did miss the "D" after her name but it's obvious he read it differently than I did.

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
I teach chemistry in our haz mat class and we talk a lot about parts per million and a little about parts per billion. An analogy I use is one million inches is just shy of 16 miles. On billion inches... 16000 miles. One is a 15-20 minute trip on the freeway. The other... a flight to Australia.
A million is a lot. A billion is a ton.
A trillion is a shit ton.

wzuber

Reaction score
Well no I did miss the "D" after her name but it's obvious he read it differently than I did.
The OP just said politicians, no specific party affiliation which I believe you replied to un-affiliated. The snow flake made it affiliated to "D".......which is of no surprise. The "D" is for DISASTER which is what that party is, a clear and present DISASTER.

rrrr

Reaction score
The context for Landrieu's attempted shakedown is that it came in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina.

LhcBrad

Reaction score
What comes after a Trillion? Quadrillion
A quadrillion is equivalent to a thousand trillion. There is also the quintillion after quadrillion and then sextillion, septillion, octillion, nonillion, and decillion.

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Had an econ professor explain a trillion very well.

"If I stand here and put a dollar bill on the table every second, how long would it take for us to get to a trillion? Almost 32,000 years. The government has 20+ of those in debt.

RodnJen

Reaction score
Had an econ professor explain a trillion very well.

"If I stand here and put a dollar bill on the table every second, how long would it take for us to get to a trillion? Almost 32,000 years. The government has 20+ of those in debt.

The American citizens, not the government, has that debt. It is much higher than that when you factor in state and local debt as well.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
A million seconds in time is a lot of seconds. It would total a little less than 12 days. But, a trillion seconds . . . ? That would total OVER 31 Thousand Years!

getreal

Reaction score
A Billion dollars ($100 bills) weighs 22,046.23 lbs

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
I singles, 2,200,000#’s, 55 truckloads, which is a ton

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
More than any board member on here has ever earned from what I have read.
I make stupid posts in 3 seconds. Others I take my time.
Get involved. The future depends upon us.
Take a few days out of boating/etc. to make a difference. That is, if you want your future Generations to enjoy what so many sacrificed for.
The brain washing has been going on for close to 50 years.
There is so much time to make up for.
I'm nobody, but I see can see for miles and miles.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
The American citizens, not the government, has that debt. It is much higher than that when you factor in state and local debt as well.

What's funny is, nobody asked me if i wanted to support the laundry list of debts our idiot politicians got us into...

So how come I have to pay for someone else's idea of a good time?? Fuck that.

Reality isn't a thing for you, eh Rod? It's sad that you people can't see beyond your nose. :(

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Brought to us by ? See above 😫

riverroyal

Reaction score
Im not watching tony robbins anything
Thats the last predator that should ever discuss the dollar

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
And you voted for more of it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Taboma

Reaction score
What's funny is, nobody asked me if i wanted to support the laundry list of debts our idiot politicians got us into...

So how come I have to pay for someone else's idea of a good time?? Fuck that.

Reality isn't a thing for you, eh Rod? It's sad that you people can't see beyond your nose. :(

Interesting, debt on one hand, an investment on the other. We owe it as taxpayers, as well as own it as investors and with pension plans, not all, but both directly and indirectly, more than 2/3rds.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Interesting, debt on one hand, an investment on the other. We owe it as taxpayers, as well as own it as investors and with pension plans, not all, but both directly and indirectly, more than 2/3rds.
I'm sorry but I'm not willing to invest in illegal aliens. I do want to invest in keeping their asses out via the wall.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

According to some sources, the US gave away FOURTY BILLION DOLLARS to other countries last year.

Are you saying you're ok with that?? Cause I'm not. And before you answer, remember exactly how much just one billion is.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
According to some sources, the US gave away FOURTY BILLION DOLLARS to other countries last year.

Are you saying you're ok with that?? Cause I'm not. And before you answer, remember exactly how much just one billion is.
So what is my dividend on that 40 billion investment?

Taboma

Reaction score

Fuck me 🥴 Is everything written on RDP Fight'n Words with you people ?????
I'm not writing anything about illegal aliens, didn't write one word regarding Aliens. I'm not writing about being OK with one fucking thing, did write anything about being OK with anything --- what I wrote is, much of that NATIONAL DEBT is owned by investments or retirement plans or pensions or social security, and mutual funds, in other words BY WE THE PEOPLE, and we're paying taxes on that debt interest out of one pocket and putting some investment income from it in the other.
I'm not saying it's a good thing --- I simply wrote it's A THING.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Fuck me 🥴 Is everything written on RDP Fight'n Words with you people ?????
I'm not writing anything about illegal aliens, didn't write one word regarding Aliens. I'm not writing about being OK with one fucking thing, did write anything about being OK with anything --- what I wrote is, much of that NATIONAL DEBT is owned by investments or retirement plans or pensions or social security, and mutual funds, in other words BY WE THE PEOPLE, and we're paying taxes on that debt interest out of one pocket and putting some investment income from it in the other.
I'm not saying it's a good thing --- I simply wrote it's A THING.

Well normally, when someone posts something, it's because they believe that's the way it Should be...

No one posts that the sky is blue, cause we all know, that it's true!

I'm seeing this discussion discussing the horrendous about of debt our Government has got us into, and the OP's post is trying to put it into perspective, so we can all (sorta) wrap our heads around it. IF that's even possible.

To me, it's ridiculous that people like sqeezer and rodnjen think we need to be paying even more in taxes that we are now, so that our government can give it away to people that don't deserve it.

How about our government learn to live within the budget they have, and not give money away? I know I don't get to print myself some more greenbacks when I run out. Why is it they think it's ok to do so?

How about if they want to invest in something, how about they invest in the humans that gave them all that money, when they were working and being productive? How about we take that 40 billion we gave away to other countries, and put in into social security payments and retirement plans? Or help out the homeless people we have here in our country?

If you're going to talk about debt being an investment, how about we invest it in us??

I know, it's stupid of me to talk about things that make sense. It's just a waste of breath.

:(

Taboma

Reaction score
Well normally, when someone posts something, it's because they believe that's the way it Should be...

No one posts that the sky is blue, cause we all know, that it's true!

I'm seeing this discussion discussing the horrendous about of debt our Government has got us into, and the OP's post is trying to put it into perspective, so we can all (sorta) wrap our heads around it. IF that's even possible.

To me, it's ridiculous that people like sqeezer and rodnjen think we need to be paying even more in taxes that we are now, so that our government can give it away to people that don't deserve it.

How about our government learn to live within the budget they have, and not give money away? I know I don't get to print myself some more greenbacks when I run out. Why is it they think it's ok to do so?

How about if they want to invest in something, how about they invest in the humans that gave them all that money, when they were working and being productive? How about we take that 40 billion we gave away to other countries, and put in into social security payments and retirement plans? Or help out the homeless people we have here in our country?

If you're going to talk about debt being an investment, how about we invest it in us??

I know, it's stupid of me to talk about things that make sense. It's just a waste of breath.

:(

Well for starters, personally had never given it a moments thought that I might be invested in some of that National Debt other than on the paying end. So despite being able to find something that I can find troubling and unpleasant in every possible direction, I was actually pleased that I just might be making a few cents on the dollar back of all that debt.
Until of course I had the audacity to put that tiny glimmer of positivity in writing, and now get lectured for it, I know, how dare I --- so for sure, let's get back to our normal RDP programming of " Everything's coming up fucked ", cuz that's how RDP rolls.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Well for starters, personally had never given it a moments thought that I might be invested in some of that National Debt other than on the paying end. So despite being able to find something that I can find troubling and unpleasant in every possible direction, I was actually pleased that I just might be making a few cents on the dollar back of all that debt.
Until of course I had the audacity to put that tiny glimmer of positivity in writing, and now get lectured for it, I know, how dare I --- so for sure, let's get back to our normal RDP programming of " Everything's coming up fucked ", cuz that's how RDP rolls.

You make some good points...

Me personally, I've never bitched too much about paying taxes. I was actually proud to do so! I like having streets not made out of dirt. Freeways. Roads to get to where I want to go. National parks, a kick azz military .and all the other Good shit we get out of paying our taxes.

But today is a different story...

Getting a few cents back on my dollar is not my idea of fun, or a good investment. That's a loose/loose deal to me. To me, an investment is when I make money on my money! I bought my house for around 125k, it's worth almost 800k today. To me, that's a good investment.

Today is a totally fucked up situation that our kids will never be able to escape. We are no longer a country headed into prosperity. It's difficult to put a positive spin on the BILLONS and TRILLIONS of dollars that we will never be able to recoup.

I agree with you in so much as we should live our lives with the glass half full. And yeah, it seems a lot of posts on here are about the glass being half empty. You're absolutely right about that.

But this particular situation pisses pretty much (almost) everyone off. Hats off to you for trying to find something positive in it. Me, I'm not able to do it.

Peace.

Taboma

Reaction score

Me personally, I've never bitched too much about paying taxes. I was actually proud to do so! I like having streets not made out of dirt. Freeways. Roads to get to where I want to go. National parks, a kick azz military .and all the other Good shit we get out of paying our taxes.

Getting a few cents back on my dollar is not my idea of fun, or a good investment. That's a loose/loose deal to me. To me, an investment is when I make money on my money! I bought my house for around 125k, it's worth almost 800k today. To me, that's a good investment.

Today is a totally fucked up situation that our kids will never be able to escape. We are no longer a country headed into prosperity. It's difficult to put a positive spin on the BILLONS and TRILLIONS of dollars that we will never be able to recoup.

I agree with you in so much as we should live our lives with the glass half full. And yeah, it seems a lot of posts on here are about the glass being half empty. You're absolutely right about that.

But this particular situation pisses pretty much (almost) everyone off. Hats off to you for trying to find something positive in it. Me, I'm not able to do it.

Peace.

My kids are doing awesome, maybe they're just well positioned, I dunno. I've done all I can do for my kids and my grandkids, I did my part, I worked my ass off and went to war when my country asked it of me, my conscious is clear. I'm not feeling white guilt or any fucking guilt about one damned thing.

The past 10 years of my life went by in a flash, I'll be lucky if I make it another 10 and those odds got worse suddenly about this time last year. That's what scares me, not who's President, not what AOC is blabbering about, I don't heed the daily news briefing in the P&G section, that's background noise to me.

We were having duck and cover drills in elementary school for fear it was inevitable we were going to be nuked. We met with discussion groups during my electrical apprenticeship about how to prepare, and dehydrate and store foods and other end of world scenario shit. I hate to think how many years of what now seems like a short life, has been wasted on fear and paranoia for things I can only complain about, yet have minimal if any control.

I laugh out loud when I read young people on RDP ranting about the sheep and control. Oh the horrors of the dreaded mask, and I think how a couple of years of military service would provide true insight as to what control and following orders to the letter truly means and feels like.
Drop and give me 50, and BAAAAAAAA like a sheep while you do it boot. 😂

I'm not discounting your concerns, or our current real problems, but not once in my life can I recall a time when I peered around and thought that everything was going to be peachy keen alright. There was always something wrong or lurking in the shadows.
In contracting I was always trying to predict and project out a few years, switching from military bases to pharmaceuticals to schools, the game was constantly in flux, because life is constantly in flux.
My dad was horrified by the Beatles and just knew rock and roll was going to drag us into the pit of hell. Good thing he's long past and can't hear the crap that's called music today.

Your concerns are certainly valid, and in no way am I making light of them, I feel ya, I really do. I honestly think my grandson is going to be just fine. His life will be night and day different to when I was 17, but I think that's OK, because the entire world is different today and he seems to have a great grasp of it.

It's always something, always, always has been and always will be, there is never going to be a time when everything is aligned and purring like one of your finely tuned engines.
It can't, because there's to many overlords who's job it is to keep things in a state of flux. They don't make the big bucks from stability, they make the big bucks from chaos.

Anyway, fight the good fight sir, I'm done, I quit, I refuse to check out angry.
From now until I die, it's MY time. A time for good times for me and my love. A time to smile and a time to laugh. Might last an hour, might last a decade if I'm really lucky, who the fuck knows, but that time, whatever it is, is going to be mine, all mine. 👍

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

Peace.
These damned politicians need to not be paid for each year the budget isn't balanced.