WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Merc 525 Impeller change...How hard to DIY?

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Merc HP525.....Thinking about doing the impeller change myself this year....how hard is it? Anyone got a good How To write-up? Where to get the parts/kit? Anything I need to know?

Thanks,

Chris

SoCalHD

Reaction score
Well, you already have 10 looks and no replies.......not looking good there buddy......lol:D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
If you have to ask......;) Honestly its pretty easy Mock. Just probably a little hard to get to. I take the whole pump out of mine to change it. Don't think its much different on the 525.
________
Rm100

Last edited:

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Thanks faulkers.....sounds like it's not too tough....I thought I'd heard the 525 was easier than the 496.....I"ll get the kit and take a shot at it next time I'm out there.....I'm really just looking for an excuse to get out to Havasu :)

Chris

BadBlown572

A/B Team Liaison
Reaction score
It is really not that hard to do. The changing is easy, just a lot of the time getting access to the impeller is a pain. Just have to remove the belt, drop the two water lines off of the back and remove the entire impeller housing. Once you do that, pull the bolts out of it and pop out the old impeller. New one is a pain to go in, but it is doable. Just put everything back togehter the same way as it came apart. The first time you do it, it will probably take you about 2 hours. Once you do it a couple of times, it shouldn't be more than an hour or so job.

Duffster

Reaction score
It's a 3-4 beer job easy

My 96 502 should be the same the seawater pump is located on the starboard or right drivers side of their motor behind the low pressure fuel pump pulley. It has two hoses that are connected to the back that need to be taken off (Just make sure you mark them top and bottom).

On the pump housing their are six bolts that need to be wrenched out and then the entire housing with the impeller will slide off.

Pull the old impeller out with pliers check for cracks our excessive wear inside of housing. (Replace entire housing if cracked) Most of the time you will get away with just replacing the $25 rubber impeller. The housing usually last about 5-6 impellers depending on how mush sand is sucked up.

Lube up the inside of the housing with vaseline or white grease push the new impeller slide it back on the shaft in bolt it back on (Not gorilla tight or you will crack the housing just good and snug) connect the hoses and how you had them marked and your done.

The toughest part is standing on your head taking it off and putting it back on.

Sig Ep Mock

Reaction score
Awesome info guys. That's just what I needed to know.:thumbsup:thumbsup

Chris

FROGMAN524

Reaction score

Mikes56

Reaction score
Take a picture or video of how the belt is routed before you take it off. It will be confusing as hell when you put it back on, if you don’t have pictures.