WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Honest question for RDP...

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
You are in a career mindset not a money mindset.. meaning 100% of your money comes from your career.

You will never generate wealth by saving money from a career. That you can take to the bank.

I agree on the mindset. Mine is too conservative to gain wealth.

I think a lot aren't talking the same definition of wealth. Some think having a couple of million is wealth and others think having 100 million is wealth.

Last edited:

C-Ya

Int’l Maritime Captain
Reaction score
I didn’t see anyone in this thread shit in anyone’s plan.. ???

Ironically enough I haven’t seen any of the people I know to be what I would consider “wealthy” to post in this thread either..

I happen to know that one of the members of RDP is worth approx $800,000,000. Yes ..... 800 million. And yes...... I have enjoyed the shit out of his toys!

Sorry...... I won’t call him out. He’s probably sending me a angry text now, begging me not too! Lol

Reaction score
I happen to know that one of the members of RDP is worth approx $800,000,000. Yes ..... 800 million. And yes...... I have enjoyed the shit out of his toys!

Sorry...... I won’t call him out. He’s probably sending me a angry text now, begging me not too! Lol
$800M. Top 99.97%. Not bad😉

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score

I asked you not to say anything!

[emoji16]

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I think everyone has a slightly different view of "wealth" or what "rich" is. I know I am neither, so I have no definition to imply. When I was in my late twenties and early thirties, it was all about making the money to have the big house, truck, toys, etc...shiny fancy stuff. Lots of hours put in to make sure the payments were covered. Hours turned into years. Stuff depreciated by time, and not use...too busy making sure they were paid for. Years gone, and very little to show for it, just scars and stress.

When it comes down to it, I think wealth is essentially planning for the comfort of your future. For some that will take more dollars than others. We are given a limited amount of time here. If you work until you're 64, and die at 65, your best laid plans went to shit in a hurry. If you were rich, or even if you were wealthy, bottom line, you WERE those things.

When I bought my river pad, I had really debated buying a baller deckboat instead. At the time, was only doing river trips once a month or so. Boat may have actually gone up with covid, but didn't see that in the crystal ball. The damn double wide on 3/4 acre has, for now at least, doubled. That was the safest choice. I don't have much money, but I'm pretty stingy with it. It works for us. My kids will inherit property, just meager stuff, no real income type property. It will give them a boost in life, but not set them up for life. I don't think that makes me a bad father.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I think everyone has a slightly different view of "wealth" or what "rich" is. I know I am neither, so I have no definition to imply. When I was in my late twenties and early thirties, it was all about making the money to have the big house, truck, toys, etc...shiny fancy stuff. Lots of hours put in to make sure the payments were covered. Hours turned into years. Stuff depreciated by time, and not use...too busy making sure they were paid for. Years gone, and very little to show for it, just scars and stress.

When it comes down to it, I think wealth is essentially planning for the comfort of your future. For some that will take more dollars than others. We are given a limited amount of time here. If you work until you're 64, and die at 65, your best laid plans went to shit in a hurry. If you were rich, or even if you were wealthy, bottom line, you WERE those things.

When I bought my river pad, I had really debated buying a baller deckboat instead. At the time, was only doing river trips once a month or so. Boat may have actually gone up with covid, but didn't see that in the crystal ball. The damn double wide on 3/4 acre has, for now at least, doubled. That was the safest choice. I don't have much money, but I'm pretty stingy with it. It works for us. My kids will inherit property, just meager stuff, no real income type property. It will give them a boost in life, but not set them up for life. I don't think that makes me a bad father.
👍🥃
Your last couple sentences.... It's not up to you to set your kids up for life. It's up to you to give your children the tools they need to become a responsible, reliable adult who can take care of themselves. Anything they receive from us is bonus. JMHO. And no that does not make you a bad father

attitude

Reaction score
Is it me or do some on this thread equate money/wealth with happiness? What a poor standard
There are plenty of things I could buy that would make me happy, if I could afford them. Right now I am the happiest I haver ever been, I don’t own a boat, an RV, a SXS, or even a house. I work at a job I enjoy, I get to drive 15 minutes home after work and see my 1 year old son and girlfriend waiting for me and we live a happy modest life. A little over 2 years ago I lived at home making even more money than I make now (cut back on my second job due to baby) I had money in the bank a nice truck, my dream car and boom a baby on the way. I wouldn’t change a thing for any dollar amount in the world. Sure one day I would like to be wealthy and have a couple of bad ass boats, a nice car collection, a nice buggy or two and a house or two that’s not a rental, but I don’t think I will ever be happier than I am right now.

ssc

Reaction score
In reply to the OP, I will give an answer based on a trend I have observed over the years. Many people have acquired family money/business. This applies to folks from 20-80. Generally, from my info and observations, a family elder has started a business/acquired assets which the next generation is brought into. The business/asset is generally self supporting. Some of the younger generation are ambitious and build upon the family business. Others just cruise along doing very little but enjoy the benefits.

Then as the next generation takes control they start taking advantage of the business and IRS section 179. They buy RV's, boats, planes etc. They buy vehicles through the business that their elders put blood, sweat and tears into building. Then as the elders pass, they acquire large lump sums of liquid instruments or other assets that can used to buy toys etc.

Cheers, Steve

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This conversation leads into a second conversation that most are pretty uncomfortable about having. Which is about money and how much an individual knows about it, and what is their primary goal.. is it only to make money? Or is it something else.

I will freely admit I know how to make money.. More than most.. I know very little about generating wealth.
While I’m good at making money I’m horrible at keeping it.. and again terrible at seeing money that can be made that’s just sitting there.

I hung out with 2FF Steve when we went to get my motorhome.. I’ve already made over ten grand just from a quick life lesson from hanging out with that guy for one full day and absorbing.

Ive hung out with others recently and it truly opened my eyes as to what’s possible if you know what you are doing. I wish I knew more.

Seems that those that don’t know don’t want to talk about it, or at a minimum are uncomfortable.. and those that do know about it kinda want you to figure it out on your own.

When I say “it” I’m talking about wealth not money. Money’s easy.. wealth is hard.

My old man gave me all the skills to make money.. Gave me zero skills on how to keep it or make it work for me.
To piggy back on to your thought. Is breaking the cycle of what you learned or didn’t learn from your parents.

In my case my parents lived way beyond their means. They never missed a payment but they never had an extra dime either. They both retired on social security and a tiny pension from the grocery union.

Early on I spent money like it was going out of style. And if I could make the payment I bought it. I never thought of investing into stocks or my 401k. That’s money I could use for another payment.
I have now learned the errors of my ways.
Now i make sure to save money for my kids.
I invest into stocks fit my kids.
I invest in my 401k so I don’t have to ask my kids for gas money like my parents asked me.
I don’t buy the truck with leather because I deserve it I buy the truck I can easily afford.
I don’t buy the best toy hauler, I buy the one I can afford.
I don’t buy the 5 bed 3 bath house we need I buy the house we can afford.
And by afford. I mean make the payments off of1 income and be able to pay extra. Be able to write the check when it comes in not on Friday when I get paid.

I know of many people that have the nice toys big house big cars. Just don’t ask them to go to dinner on a Thursday night because they won’t have the money for it.

farmo83

Reaction score
My wife and I work for the man. Myself for Chevron and my wife works for an HR company. While we are doing very well for ourselves we are not even in the top 10% I believe. We both love boating so that's where we spend our money. I don't golf, we don't travel much, etc. I've been around fast boats since I was 3 months old so that was the choice for me. I bought my Schiada way to early to realistically afford it but knew later in life with kids and a wife that may not value boats as I do( I was single when I bought the boat) I may not be able to get what I want.

We live in a very modest house were fixing up as we go, drive older paid for cars, max our retirements, I fix most things around the house etc. If your smart with your money you would be surprised what you can afford over time.

As I said before to me it's all about what you choose to spend your money on. One of my best friends is a member at a nice country club and will unload 2k a month on booze and golf and not think twice and I can't fathom that.

Me on the other hand last summer I was going to the lake for 10 days and needed a part that only Bob Teague had in stock, I called to order it Bob went to get me a price and I told him I didn't care what it cost put it on a plane to Austin Texas overnight as I wasn't going to be boatless for 10 days at the lake.

Last edited:

badgas

Reaction score
Is it me or do some on this thread equate money/wealth with happiness? What a poor standard

I hope I did not come across that way ? For "ME" money/wealth is just a tool. It won't bring joy, happiness , salvation etc.

It can buy some fun and if managed properly it will make life less stressfull.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

I don’t see that at all. Money and happiness are two separate things.. unless you don’t have any money which in some cases and sadness and stress.

I see it as moderately successful people interested in talking about how to make more money.. or wanting to learn more about a subject.

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
83FB4335-A847-4AC6-AB0E-AF0DC4FED676.jpeg

Taboma

Reaction score
Having some money allows my wife and I some very sound sleep. 👍 Unless that is, the responsibility of some of those things that money can buy, are keeping me awake 😖

bk2drvr

Reaction score
I see a lot of guys that own their own business, make a lot of money and carry a lot of stress along with it, sometimes for decades. Where three day weekends aren’t worth being away from the company because you end up working all day mon/fri anyway on the phone. I also know some people that work for companies that make north of 200k without all that stress and a ton of vacation and flexibility in their schedules. Which guy is living better?

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I make a decent W2 income working for “the man” and would love a second stream of income. My struggle isn’t the work ethic but the creativity to set something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys that own their own business, make a lot of money and carry a lot of stress along with it, sometimes for decades. Where three day weekends aren’t worth being away from the company because you end up working all day mon/fri anyway on the phone. I also know some people that work for companies that make north of 200k without all that stress and a ton of vacation and flexibility in their schedules. Which guy is living better?

That kinda detracts from the question and thread again. A guy wanted to know “how” these boats are being bought, and it has evolved into “how to get more money”

Quality of life turns into a philosophical conversation where there are no rights and wrongs and only variants of opinions..

To get to the point though I know guys that work themselves into the grave m-f but they also spend a week here and there in the Bahamas on their center consoles, running LoTo in their fast boats etc.. their quality of life is just fine. They have unlimited ambition and would likely be suicidal if they didn’t work as hard as they do.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I make a decent W2 income working for “the man” and would love a second stream of income. My struggle isn’t the work ethic but the creativity to set something up.

Im the opposite of that.. Stacy calls me a serial entrepreneur. Lol. I literally come up with viable $$ businesses everyday. I just get “comfortable” with where I’m at in life and don’t continue to chase the $$ once I hit a certain point.

Like an earlier poster said I remember being young and thinking “man a 100k a year is where it’s at”. Then I made that in my early 20’s and nothing really changed.. I came up with another number and got to that.. then I got “comfortable” because frankly I never “needed” the DCB or the yacht etc..

I found out that I wasn’t really motivated by the money.. I enjoyed the challenge of building the business.. If I’m being a 100% honest I even went so far as to quit working to watch the biz falter and struggle jist so I could build it up again..

It took a lot self examination for me to be able to admit that.

Last edited:

badgas

Reaction score

The one who is content with his own life.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
I'd be in pretty good shape if I could take my money back about 30 or 40 years.😂

Reactions: t&y

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So I was thinking about this while driving to get my kids from school.

One can take making money or generating wealth and compare it to weight loss or working out.
It’s easy to say “well in order to do this you just need to get on the work out machine and do it 1 hr a day.”

it’s easier to say “I’m going to do it tomorrow” and let that machine end up being something you hang laundry on.

I am curious after reading this thread how many people are planning snd plotting new ways or different ways to make more money?

If it isn’t to personal what are some of the plans?

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So I was thinking about this while driving to get my kids from school.

One can take making money or generating wealth and compare it to weight loss or working out.
It’s easy to say “well in order to do this you just need to get on the work out machine and do it 1 hr a day.”

it’s easier to say “I’m going to do it tomorrow” and let that machine end up being something you hang laundry on.

I am curious after reading this thread how many people are planning snd plotting new ways or different ways to make more money?

If it isn’t to personal what are some of the plans?

This thread did not change any of my wealth building plans, which is make more money working for the man while maintaining a good work/life balance with the goal of buying a few more income properties.

The upside of my current gig working for the man is not as bright as I was led to believe. It is a good company, but this particular sales role in this particular territory is not for me, so I have started looking for a new job.

I've been casually thinking about a career change.

Last edited:
Reactions: DWC

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Nope, not changing my path. As I said, I'm glad "ballers" spend and have the means to spend. It's not wrong to be content, it just doesn't fit everyone. I was never rich, but made a very comfortable amount. I wasn't happy though. Maybe if I would have added another zero? I can't say as though it would have made a difference. Life is what you make of it. No sum of money can change that. Freedom is what we all really want. Free to make and spend as we see fit. Freedom to do what we want. Some like the "chase", be it paper, women or whatever the next fix is. Some like the ideas of how to make money. Some don't care for the how, they just like to do it.
In the left's wording, it's diversity. We all have different wants and goals. If everybody wanted the same things, life would be a boring view.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Nope, not changing my path. As I said, I'm glad "ballers" spend and have the means to spend. It's not wrong to be content, it just doesn't fit everyone. I was never rich, but made a very comfortable amount. I wasn't happy though. Maybe if I would have added another zero? I can't say as though it would have made a difference. Life is what you make of it. No sum of money can change that. Freedom is what we all really want. Free to make and spend as we see fit. Freedom to do what we want. Some like the "chase", be it paper, women or whatever the next fix is. Some like the ideas of how to make money. Some don't care for the how, they just like to do it.
In the left's wording, it's diversity. We all have different wants and goals. If everybody wanted the same things, life would be a boring view.

What if you didn't change your life, but rather added some minor adjustments to it and saw radical gains?

RD

Taboma

Reaction score
This thread is starting to bring back horrible memories when many of my friends were pushing Amway --- Minor adjustments, don't have to sell soap, you'll be rich in no time. 😖

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
The secret to wealth we will never know. They don’t share what exactly they did to get there. And really it takes a special kind of person to make it to the level where buying a $1,000,000 boat is pocket lint and a $300,000,000 yacht is a few months of investment income. I wanted all that as a kid. The older I get I could care less. I know who I am and my capabilities. Plus, the wealthy all have problems I don’t want. Starting with the freedom to be a normal person.

The unknown wealthy person still worries about who is going to sue them into the poor house, getting duped on an investment or business deal or is miserable one way or another. Finally, wealthy people usually just point at everything they bought or paid someone to do. I enjoy mowing the lawn, doing all the home repairs, car repairs, wrenching on the Chevelle. But, it sure would be fun to try out wealthy for a period of time.

I’ll probably trade stocks a bit more frequently in the speculative portfolio. I already live on one income and save 20% of that one salary. My Wealth won’t be measured by the size of house, jet model, or length of boat. Doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy talking about making money, investing, or hearing other people’s perspectives on life and wealth.

HPBoats83

Reaction score
I’d still love to find a side hustle but lack the idea of something that I could realistically do.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This thread is starting to bring back horrible memories when many of my friends were pushing Amway --- Minor adjustments, don't have to sell soap, you'll be rich in no time. 😖

I'm not selling anything.. Nor do I have anything to sell.

I am saying I know a person that just changed his mind about working out, and he lost weight.

I know a guy that was a drug addict and homeless @Tank and others know him as well. One morning he woke up and said the words "I don't want to live like this anymore" He now is one of the richest guys in the performance boating circle.

I was simply suggesting that someone doesn't have to change their whole life to go work out at the gym.. Nor do they have to change their whole life to look at money differently and see radical gains.

You tend to look at everything I post as having some angle, or being negative so I'm not surprised about your comment.. but someday you might come to the conclusion that I'm not sitting here twisting my evil mustache.

RD

Taboma

Reaction score
Making it and spending it, the difference a few years make.
When you're younger and still blessed with both the confidence, time and energy to continue to make money, or make it back should risk not favor you.
Then comes a time when you start appreciating those invested savings, and accumulated other assets, the ones now tucked away far more conservatively, they are your security blanket and they comfort you.
At some point along your timeline you start thinking more about just how much you're willing to leave behind and how much you'll need to finish the race.

There is no reward for dying with a vault full of money, unless you count the happy smiles as your kin pisses away your hard earned dollars on wake board boats.
So you think, fuck it, while I'm healthy and have some energy left, I'm going to spend it, spoil myself with something, get something crazy, be "That" ole guy, well maybe not "That" old guy with your so called Niece on your arm :rolleyes:--- but close. 😁

Problem is, that blanket isn't always easy to get rid of, you find yourself attached to it more than you thought you were. Cut that blanket in half, or even a quarter and suddenly you're awake at 3AM --- Oh fuck, what did I do ? Did I really need that DCB or GT 40 ? I want my blanket back. 🥴

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’d still love to find a side hustle but lack the idea of something that I could realistically do.

Something I did recently was purchase a bunch of guns and ammo. I knew that the prices were going to go up, so I sat on them for a few months and turned about 3 grand into about 6 grand. It isn't super creative, or innovative.. but I had the cash on me and I knew it was going to make money so I did it.

Before changing my mindset of "making money" I would've never sold them, or more realistically never bought them or as many.. When I bought them though I bought them for the sole purpose of selling them instead of keeping them.

That is some of the "radical" gains I was talking about. I picked up 10K just watching Steve work.. When I went to buy that motorhome the guy wanted 120.. I told him I'd come look at it if we were at 107.. When Steve and I went to lunch to talk about it he never told me what to do, but asked me what I thought I should do, and am I leaving anything behind.. is there any money on the ground that you could pick up for doing nothing right now?

I called the guy and we ended up at 102. I saved 5K.

I recently orchestrated a large move for a company.. Everyone was happy with the deal except me.. So at the 11th hour I went to the receiving end and said the only thing we have left is the 5K and signage (A little over 10K total).. now we are at 15K because Steve showed me or rather changed my mindset to take a look around and see if there's anything on the ground if there is, pick it up, and don't feel bad about it.

So I've made 18K in a matter of months, and have changed my life exactly zero.. 18K is "make a difference" money to a lot of people on the forum.

@Taboma There's your AMWAY...

RD

Taboma

Reaction score

I am saying I know a person that just changed his mind about working out, and he lost weight.

I know a guy that was a drug addict and homeless @Tank and others know him as well. One morning he woke up and said the words "I don't want to live like this anymore" He now is one of the richest guys in the performance boating circle.

I was simply suggesting that someone doesn't have to change their whole life to go work out at the gym.. Nor do they have to change their whole life to look at money differently and see radical gains.

You tend to look at everything I post as having some angle, or being negative so I'm not surprised about your comment.. but someday you might come to the conclusion that I'm not sitting here twisting my evil mustache.

RD

I was playing Dave, what you wrote is almost exactly verbatim as I told it. I don't think you've got anything going on nefarious at all, I'm not seeing you scheming for a buck, I've enjoyed the thread, relax. 😁
I can say this, I've met people like your drug addict, they had amazing ideas and were excellent at getting other people's money to finance these ideas, and everybody ended up losing.

The Amway deal, biggest bust I've ever witnessed and everybody that went in as friends, since that's how it always works --- ended up brutal enemies.
My best friend, very best ever, told me straight out, I needed to be a part of it, otherwise they'd be rich and we wouldn't be same league, and no longer friends.
A few years later he was begging me for a job and his wife, with more degrees than anybody I know, the one who had all the grand ideas, was begging as well.

They played the game big, claimed they couldn't lose, claimed I was a fool, at one point the biggest deal in Lake Havasu real estate, nobody even close, they leveraged everything on that ride. Well by 09' it all went bust, a year later he was dead of a heart attack and she'd lost everything and had to move out of state to live with one of her daughters.

But no, I do not sit around wondering what scheme RD is up to, because I find you interesting otherwise don't care.

DWC

Reaction score

RD
Just messing with you RD. Was 99.9% sure we weren’t gonna see essential oils by RD on the banner. .01 maybe.

Taboma

Reaction score
Something I did recently was purchase a bunch of guns and ammo. I knew that the prices were going to go up, so I sat on them for a few months and turned about 3 grand into about 6 grand. It isn't super creative, or innovative.. but I had the cash on me and I knew it was going to make money so I did it.

Before changing my mindset of "making money" I would've never sold them, or more realistically never bought them or as many.. When I bought them though I bought them for the sole purpose of selling them instead of keeping them.

That is some of the "radical" gains I was talking about. I picked up 10K just watching Steve work.. When I went to buy that motorhome the guy wanted 120.. I told him I'd come look at it if we were at 107.. When Steve and I went to lunch to talk about it he never told me what to do, but asked me what I thought I should do, and am I leaving anything behind.. is there any money on the ground that you could pick up for doing nothing right now?

I called the guy and we ended up at 102. I saved 5K.

I recently orchestrated a large move for a company.. Everyone was happy with the deal except me.. So at the 11th hour I went to the receiving end and said the only thing we have left is the 5K and signage (A little over 10K total).. now we are at 15K because Steve showed me or rather changed my mindset to take a look around and see if there's anything on the ground if there is, pick it up, and don't feel bad about it.

So I've made 18K in a matter of months, and have changed my life exactly zero.. 18K is "make a difference" money to a lot of people on the forum.

@Taboma There's your AMWAY...

RD

I think that's awesome, I'm glad the drug addict suddenly woke up and realized he knew where there was a pot of gold. You're an entrepreneur, you've done great things and you can sell it, not everybody can and certainly not everybody is Steve. Obviously Stacy is extremely good at her job, you've both got a great thing going and your timing is most opportune.

What exactly are you suggesting from this as it applies to others in your RDP reading audience ? They're stepping over unseen dollars, they don't know how to make money, they're missing the boat, you're going to start seminars, or perhaps Steve is ??

I'll wait for the next installment, meanwhile I'll just get back to calculating how much I want to leave behind.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I was playing Dave, what you wrote is almost exactly verbatim as I told it. I don't think you've got anything going on nefarious at all, I'm not seeing you scheming for a buck, I've enjoyed the thread, relax. 😁
I can say this, I've met people like your drug addict, they had amazing ideas and were excellent at getting other people's money to finance these ideas, and everybody ended up losing.

The Amway deal, biggest bust I've ever witnessed and everybody that went in as friends, since that's how it always works --- ended up brutal enemies.
My best friend, very best ever, told me straight out, I needed to be a part of it, otherwise they'd be rich and we wouldn't be same league, and no longer friends.
A few years later he was begging me for a job and his wife, with more degrees than anybody I know, the one who had all the grand ideas, was begging as well.

They played the game big, claimed they couldn't lose, claimed I was a fool, at one point the biggest deal in Lake Havasu real estate, nobody even close, they leveraged everything on that ride. Well by 09' it all went bust, a year later he was dead of a heart attack and she'd lost everything and had to move out of state to live with one of her daughters.

But no, I do not sit around wondering what scheme RD is up to, because I find you interesting otherwise don't care.

I have a friend that was in my garage not that long ago.. He was telling me a story about his buddy that got "big money" and basically told them they weren't going to hang out anymore for various reasons, but it came down to the money..

My buddy that was in the garage went from my kinda money to "Real" money over the last couple years and he went by the first guy in his Viking that is bigger than the first guy.. I guess the first guy was mad or something about it because my buddies boat is bigger.

When he got all done telling me the story I told him "that guy was never your friend." LOL.

I don't treat anybody differently, and I know Billionaires (yes with a B, there are a couple on RDP), to guys like Jonathan said that are on the cusp of it, to guys with 50 mill to guys with 50 bucks..

They are either cool, or they aren't.. and I don't give a shit what their bank account says.. LOL. If they are being a douche they'll get booted out of my garage / rdp after party / you name it same as anyone else.

Back to the point of the thread though.. I was really enjoying hearing peoples different view points, and was looking forward to some of the ways "normal guys" like myself are using to Catch a little extra cash here and there.. What they can do to make their assets work for them to create more money..

TAX SAVINGS is a huge one that I know nothing about.. I was talking to one of my buddies and he said "Dave all your kids should be salaried employees making xyz a year" with some sorta tax loophole.. Of course he said that to me three sheets to the wind, and now when I press about it when he's sober he says "get a tax guy". None of my tax guys tell me how to do shit like that. LOL

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I think that's awesome, I'm glad the drug addict suddenly woke up and realized he knew where there was a pot of gold. You're an entrepreneur, you've done great things and you can sell it, not everybody can and certainly not everybody is Steve. Obviously Stacy is extremely good at her job, you've both got a great thing going and your timing is most opportune.

What exactly are you suggesting from this as it applies to others in your RDP reading audience ? They're stepping over unseen dollars, they don't know how to make money, they're missing the boat, you're going to start seminars, or perhaps Steve is ??

I'll wait for the next installment, meanwhile I'll just get back to calculating how much I want to leave behind.

I was suggesting as I wrote that I learned how to make money when I was young, but I know nothing about money and I certainly know nothing about "wealth." I feel that a lot of people in my age and tax bracket are in the same boat.

I was suggesting we talk about it to maybe start learning more about money and how to make more of it "smarter" not "harder." I put out some examples of some things I learned this year, and was hoping others would do the same so that I could hopefully learn from others, and who knows maybe somebody could learn something from what I said.

The drug addict didn't wake up and find a pot of gold.. He just decided he wanted to change his life and decided to (metaphorically speaking) goto the gym. He went and got a job at what we would call on the west coast a "Jiffy Lube" and got his life straightened out. His new goal was a new life, and money was on the top of the priority list. He got a job, an apartment, and block by block he built up.. He know owns most of the lube shops on the eastern seaboard. He goes by the name "Lube Jobs" on OSO and on here.

It was a story he shared on OSO a long time ago and I found it to be pretty inspiring.. a lot of others did as well. No magic, no rainbows, no pots of gold.. Just a simple mentality change and with it came life change.

RD

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
This all is a very interesting conversation happening here. I think there are a few that are taking it too seriously and looking to argue but overall still very interesting. I am actually at a serious crossroads in my life. The current job is not working out and its time to revisit things. The second layer of this is I am a state employee. You all would think it would be easy to just move to a different group and change the surroundings. Unfortunately I am very specialized and cannot do this. I am trying to not start over completely but it is looking more and more like it. I make reasonable money but am still very bitter over a recent hiring decision they made where they passed me over for a promotion for a yes man who I am now training to do half the job. A big piece of the the other half is kept by the previous person (control freak). Long and short is there is no future for me here.
I guess some could call this a bit of a mid life crisis. I'm just looking for the next challenge and thing to do but 13 years with the state means I am well into the pension system. See how all this circles back into this thread? I invest well, I have rental property, I live well within my means.

Where do I go to take the next step? I guess this is where many of us are......

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
This all is a very interesting conversation happening here. I think there are a few that are taking it too seriously and looking to argue but overall still very interesting. I am actually at a serious crossroads in my life. The current job is not working out and its time to revisit things. The second layer of this is I am a state employee. You all would think it would be easy to just move to a different group and change the surroundings. Unfortunately I am very specialized and cannot do this. I am trying to not start over completely but it is looking more and more like it. I make reasonable money but am still very bitter over a recent hiring decision they made where they passed me over for a promotion for a yes man who I am now training to do half the job. A big piece of the the other half is kept by the previous person (control freak). Long and short is there is no future for me here.
I guess some could call this a bit of a mid life crisis. I'm just looking for the next challenge and thing to do but 13 years with the state means I am well into the pension system. See how all this circles back into this thread? I invest well, I have rental property, I live well within my means.

Where do I go to take the next step? I guess this is where many of us are......

This is exactly the kinda story that I wanted to read.. and I hope that someone smarter than me offers some sound advice, and I can learn from it.

RD

Taboma

Reaction score
I have a friend that was in my garage not that long ago.. He was telling me a story about his buddy that got "big money" and basically told them they weren't going to hang out anymore for various reasons, but it came down to the money..

My buddy that was in the garage went from my kinda money to "Real" money over the last couple years and he went by the first guy in his Viking that is bigger than the first guy.. I guess the first guy was mad or something about it because my buddies boat is bigger.

When he got all done telling me the story I told him "that guy was never your friend." LOL.

I don't treat anybody differently, and I know Billionaires (yes with a B, there are a couple on RDP), to guys like Jonathan said that are on the cusp of it, to guys with 50 mill to guys with 50 bucks..

They are either cool, or they aren't.. and I don't give a shit what their bank account says.. LOL. If they are being a douche they'll get booted out of my garage / rdp after party / you name it same as anyone else.

Back to the point of the thread though.. I was really enjoying hearing peoples different view points, and was looking forward to some of the ways "normal guys" like myself are using to Catch a little extra cash here and there.. What they can do to make their assets work for them to create more money..

TAX SAVINGS is a huge one that I know nothing about.. I was talking to one of my buddies and he said "Dave all your kids should be salaried employees making xyz a year" with some sorta tax loophole.. Of course he said that to me three sheets to the wind, and now when I press about it when he's sober he says "get a tax guy". None of my tax guys tell me how to do shit like that. LOL

RD

I'd be far more wealthy if I had the balls to be. My dad was a penny pincher and played it really conservative, never wanted for anything and died an honorable, man, but not rich, but certainly comfortable. I tend to be conservative, and my wife makes me look like a dare devil --- different strokes for different tolerance levels.

Growing up my Dad's best friend and boat racing partner, one of the most interesting men I've ever met, owned the biggest home on Lake Arrowhead, first Mercedes Benz dealership in Palm Desert and hung with the Rat Pack when they were in Palm Springs. His son and I grew up best friends, until their family shit hit the fan in about 70'. This is NOT the Amway friend who lived in Havasu I mentioned.
Johnny Carson was a regular house guest and taught me card tricks as a kid.

Ole Bill (The most interesting man in the world look and act alike) had done it all, could talk you out of your pants and you'd thank him laughing your ass off as you were walking away in your skivvy's. Later had two homes, one on Long Island sound, another in Del Ray Beach FL. His son and I who'd I'd grown up with at Lake Arrowhead took their motorsailer to the Bahamas towing a 17' Boston Whaler when I'd fly out to vacation with him.
He was by all indications filthy rich and had been for as long as I could recall back into the early 50's. I thought it odd after his son Hank and I returned from the Bahamas, here was the X-rum runner worldly Bill asking if I had $ 200 I could loan him. Loan him ? Fuck, I've been on your boat with your son for a week burning your fuel money, hell yes, here's $ 200 you're welcome to it, want more ?
I even spoke with Johnny Carson from his phone that evening, and hadn't spoken with him since I was a kid. When I flew out the next morning, something still felt off.

A month later, my forever man hero Bill, the most interesting man I'd even met, was dead of a heart attack. The shocking news was, he and his family were flat broke and didn't have a single pot that was their own to even piss in. His entire existence was an elaborately fabricated lie, it was a ruse, nothing about it was real and he owed money to everybody and I do mean everybody. He was as it turns out, the ultimate con man and so good at it, he'd pulled it off for so many years, it was his and his family's normal and it came as the biggest shock to both his wife and son.

There is no moral, other than things are not always how they appear.

hallett21

Reaction score

RD

Lol why is it always people who aren’t accountants giving that advice?

I know plenty of successful business guys who know every loop hole in the book. I often wonder if they all could survive an audit.

My in-laws run a successful CPA firm. They only let the wife and I write off what we legitimately can prove lol.

attitude

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite, like Waterjunkie I feel like I’m going to be coming up to a crossroads shortly. A little bit of a back story. At 23 I was living at home, over the previous year I had been promoted a time or two at work and received about a 50% pay raise. I had also starting working on my bosses race team on the weekends, I was putting money in the bank and feeling good. I decided to buy my dream corvette and boom two weeks later my girlfriend is pregnant. No big deal, we’ve been together for years and we can afford to move into our own place. At 23 I just paid of my 4 year old truck, had my dream car, just moved into my own house (rental) and had a baby on the way, I felt like I was on top of the world. I’m going to be 26 this year and the money I was making at 23 just isn’t cutting it now, iv received about a 10% pay raise sense then but that’s not enough for the lifestyle I want to raise my family with. What I love about my Job is that it is close to my home (5 miles) I work 4-10s and I have very good job security here. On the contrary Ive pretty much reached the ceiling on how far I can go. At what point do you trade in time with your family and job security for something with more money, more risk, and less time at home? We plan to have another kid within the next year or so now that or son is about to be 2. Do I wait until our second baby is a little older? Do I wait and see what’s going to happen with the economy? Or do I just say fuck it time is money and start looking now?

hallett21

Reaction score
Ok I’ll bite, like Waterjunkie I feel like I’m going to be coming up to a crossroads shortly. A little bit of a back story. At 23 I was living at home, over the previous year I had been promoted a time or two at work and received about a 50% pay raise. I had also starting working on my bosses race team on the weekends, I was putting money in the bank and feeling good. I decided to buy my dream corvette and boom two weeks later my girlfriend is pregnant. No big deal, we’ve been together for years and we can afford to move into our own place. At 23 I just paid of my 4 year old truck, had my dream car, just moved into my own house (rental) and had a baby on the way, I felt like I was on top of the world. I’m going to be 26 this year and the money I was making at 23 just isn’t cutting it now, iv received about a 10% pay raise sense then but that’s not enough for the lifestyle I want to raise my family with. What I love about my Job is that it is close to my home (5 miles) I work 4-10s and I have very good job security here. On the contrary Ive pretty much reached the ceiling on how far I can go. At what point do you trade in time with your family and job security for something with more money, more risk, and less time at home? We plan to have another kid within the next year or so now that or son is about to be 2. Do I wait until our second baby is a little older? Do I wait and see what’s going to happen with the economy? Or do I just say fuck it time is money and start looking now?

What’s your background?

If you took your shot and failed could you get something going in the next 60 days to pay the bills? Whether that’s your old job or something similar?