WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How many people do I have to kill at my Dodge dealer?

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
2-3 years ago I had the dreaded "blend door repair" done on my 2007 Ram. It wouldn't direct the air to the proper place and it wouldn't get hot air anywhere. At that time I was told the a/c was going out too. When I picked it up they had forgotten to bolt the bench seat to the floor and leaving the dealership I actually flipped over into the backseat. Upon immediately returning to the dealer I find that all the bolts are rolling around on the floor. Obviously they corrected it right away. What I didn't notice at the time is that I still don't have any hot air. Since then I have only driven the truck about 4000 miles. This was approximately a $4000 repair. Lots of labor hours and one expensive assembly.
Last month I took it back and complained. Despite my complaints they insisted on a $900 "diagnostic fee" would be necessary to open up the dash to determine "if it was something we missed the first time". So I paid it. And another $4000 to replace some more "blend door kits" and a/c compressor. Of course nothing they did was inadequate or incorrect the first time (they say).
The kick in the nuts came when they tell me that the reason I have no hot air "the technician believes that the thermostat is incorrect and not allowing the engine to get hot enough". Supposedly it is opening at 180 instead of 203. But they can replace the tstat for $489. Fock that! Yesterday I did it myself and I find that the tstat is indeed stamped as a 203 degree unit. With only about half the normal amount of water in the radiator, the guage is now reading two needle widths above the midline instead of below it. But still I have no hot air coming out of the vents.
So my question is . . . who is in charge here? Service writers are idiots. Is their manager likely to help me? Dealership GM? How do I get to him? Do I just start yelling loud enough to scare away customers, and see who shows up? How exactly does dealer heirarchy work at a Dodge dealer these days? This is the Dodge dealer in Redlands if that is important.

JayBreww

Reaction score
I already stated in the thread last month that Redlands dodge is garbage and I’d never go back nor recommend that place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Noted.

And that helps me how exactly?

JayBreww

Reaction score
Noted.

And that helps me how exactly?

Well, maybe try another dealer?
I was told to call corporate and it helped.
Don’t let them charge you another diagnostic fee, you’ve already payed for one and they guessed and were wrong, it’s their turn to make it right. But I doubt Redlands will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Suicide for purchasing a Dodbe would be faster and easier.
195,000 miles on original Hemi engine and trans, and it will still pull my toyhauler up the Cajon Pass no problem. All the windows work, interior is squeek free, all original ball joints and shocks working well still. I have only replaced the battery, serp belt, and water pump in 14 years. It will be my 4th Ram to go over 250,000. I have no buyer's remorse over this truck, and if I do ever replace this truck, it will likely be with another Dodge.

Calling Corporate didn't help at all with GM and my piece of crap Pontiac. I ended up getting the state and BBB involved and all it got me was an extended warranty. That meant that I still had to deal with GM dealers which were the problem in the first place. I would think the dealer could fix this if they just put a decent mechanic on it.

Last edited:

DLC

Reaction score
So your at $8,000 out of pocket and still no heat? I think I’d be thinking small claims court to get some of your money back! That’s ridiculous

maybe try an independent shop and stay out of the stealer ship....

DLow

Single Barrel Dweller
Reaction score
So, you paid a $900 diagnostic fee, in which they misdiagnosed it, charged you another $3100 to “fix” it, and it still didn’t work. Then they want another $489 to throw more parts at it, that you did on your own and it still isn’t right? This is all after an original $4000 to “fix” it the first time, which didn’t work to begin with. Yeah, I’d call corporate, and a lawyer... first. It’s going to get bumpy. That is outright robbery. And you need to stop accepting vehicles that aren’t right after being worked on.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
2-3 years ago I had the dreaded "blend door repair" done on my 2007 Ram. It wouldn't direct the air to the proper place and it wouldn't get hot air anywhere. At that time I was told the a/c was going out too. When I picked it up they had forgotten to bolt the bench seat to the floor and leaving the dealership I actually flipped over into the backseat. Upon immediately returning to the dealer I find that all the bolts are rolling around on the floor. Obviously they corrected it right away. What I didn't notice at the time is that I still don't have any hot air. Since then I have only driven the truck about 4000 miles. This was approximately a $4000 repair. Lots of labor hours and one expensive assembly.
Last month I took it back and complained. Despite my complaints they insisted on a $900 "diagnostic fee" would be necessary to open up the dash to determine "if it was something we missed the first time". So I paid it. And another $4000 to replace some more "blend door kits" and a/c compressor. Of course nothing they did was inadequate or incorrect the first time (they say).
The kick in the nuts came when they tell me that the reason I have no hot air "the technician believes that the thermostat is incorrect and not allowing the engine to get hot enough". Supposedly it is opening at 180 instead of 203. But they can replace the tstat for $489. Fock that! Yesterday I did it myself and I find that the tstat is indeed stamped as a 203 degree unit. With only about half the normal amount of water in the radiator, the guage is now reading two needle widths above the midline instead of below it. But still I have no hot air coming out of the vents.
So my question is . . . who is in charge here? Service writers are idiots. Is their manager likely to help me? Dealership GM? How do I get to him? Do I just start yelling loud enough to scare away customers, and see who shows up? How exactly does dealer heirarchy work at a Dodge dealer these days? This is the Dodge dealer in Redlands if that is important.

So to summarize, you complained about a repair, THREE YEARS LATER, that was supposed to fix a no hot air problem. And you paid to have an a/c compressor replaced, to fix your no hot air problem???

To answer your question, you need to contact the dealer principal (owner) and tell him what you told us.

Owner > General Manager > Service manger > Shop foreman > Service writer > Techs

I wish you the best of luck.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
$8000. to fix a heater? I need to get into the Dodge Ram HVAC business.

Pulling the dash and fixing blend doors and motors sounds like an all day job for a tech with some real skills.

My fav YouTube tech has done it: Dodge Ram: Heater Core, Blend Doors And More - Part I - YouTube

And so has this guy: Blend Doors and Evaporator Replacement - Part 2, Rebuild - YouTube

You know a problem is common when the aftermarket makes parts to fix it: Blend Door USA

Take the dealer to small claims court and find a good independent mechanic to actually fix the problem.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I would seek out a good independent mechanic if I'm not looking to do a job myself.

Pesky Varmint

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Power Wagon (5.7 hemi in case you don't know). Had the blend door failure back in 2015. Did the job myself and knew it made no sense to replace the doors with Dodge parts, put in the nice little metal aftermarket replacements that only cost around $200. A huge job since you disassemble the entire dash, but has proven worth it. Took two days. Luckily had my own equipment to drain and refill AC system too.

Truck now is only a couple thousand away from 300,000 miles and not had any huge problems.

My favorite story was way back in, I think around 2007, the driver seat adjustable lumbar support broke. If you have one of these trucks you know it is a manual knob on the side of the seatback. No electronics.

Truck still under warranty I took it to service and asked the writer if I could get them to order the part and I bring the truck back to leave it when the part gets in. Writer says they can't do that, they need to "hook it up to the computer".

So I went inside the parts guy who I've dealt with for years and know well. I got him to order the part, told him I'd bring the truck in when it's there, and if for any reason they refuse to warranty it I'll buy the part.

It was fun watching the reaction the day I dropped off the truck and told them that there is a part for it in their parts department with my name on it.
Picked it up that evening with warranty repair.

The story of my Caliber speedometer problem is too long to share here. Suffice to say that the service tech told me that the GPS I'm using to show my speedometer was wrong only shows approximate speed on the GPS. F'ing experts at everything.

pixrthis

Reaction score
The Dodge dealer in Valencia is the worst service I’ve ever encountered hands down.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So to summarize, you complained about a repair, THREE YEARS LATER, that was supposed to fix a no hot air problem. And you paid to have an a/c compressor replaced, to fix your no hot air problem???

To answer your question, you need to contact the dealer principal (owner) and tell him what you told us.

Owner > General Manager > Service manger > Shop foreman > Service writer > Techs

I wish you the best of luck.

This. Sadly this will go nowhere. If it was 3 months after the repair maybe there would be a chance.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I had nothing but good to say about dependable dodge in canoga park . It probably helps the owner is there everyday and is very involved in the buisness . So far the dodge dealer in las vegas blows !

attitude

Reaction score
Stay away from Browning! I took my truck there far a recall and for a leaking exhaust manifolds gasket. I picked my truck up when it was dark and raining, the next day I noticed they opened my driver door so hard into something it went through my protective clear bra and chipped the paint on the edge of the door, they also forgot to put a lug nut on. When I let the “follow up” person know about this her response was “it would of helped if you pointed those things out when you picked the truck up” I explained it was dark and raining when I picked it up so I inspected it the next day. Never received a return call...

HBCraig

Reaction score
@PlumLoco
I would get with the corporate side ans tell them how many you have owned, your loyalty, etc

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Getting back to your original query - it'll be quite a few and very messy, but for the right amount of money I know the right people for the job.

We'll talk..........

petie6464

Reaction score
That's a crap deal for sure. Sounds that you made a few mistakes along the way also; Most obvious not making sure the repair was working correctly before you left the shop.

The second was to pay the same incompetent shop to attend to repair something they obviously can't.

I would consider talking to the manager of the dealership asking for full recourse and if failed open a small claims court case if that amount is accepted to that court.

Other than that a new shop and a costly lesson learned on your part.

84miller

Reaction score
I have found for me that finding a really good independent mechanic, which is hard, is the best way to go for automotive repairs. I have had some pretty large dollar dealer repairs that did not fix the vehicle's reported problem. I have a great mechanic, does quality work, stands by his work and is busy because of quailtly. The better news is, he is younger than me, so odds are I will not have to look for another to replace him.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Anything that is not warranty work I stay away from dealerships.

dribble

Reaction score
Seriously, file a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. If I had this case I’d be hard on their ass. Based on what you’re telling us, they owe you $4000.00 and a working heater. The person who neglected to bolt your seat in is the same one who fucked this entire repair up. You’re being way too patient with them. It is very likely that BAR is very familiar with this outfit already. The statute of limitations on administrative Automotive Repair Act violations is three years.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Seriously, file a complaint with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. If I had this case I’d be hard on their ass. Based on what you’re telling us, they owe you $4000.00 and a working heater. The person who neglected to bolt your seat in is the same one who fucked this entire repair up. You’re being way too patient with them. It is very likely that BAR is very familiar with this outfit already.
Yup, BAR does not fuck around. Even when the shop is in the right, they end up with their tit in the wringer. I had that experience one time. We were in the right and they came in and stole my labor to prove that we had taken all the right steps and that the customer was a lying POS.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Call and ask for the GM of the store, don't yell and scream, act like an adult. Do let him know you will call Dodge corporate, BBB, the owner of the dealership and the AG's office if he cannot come up with a resolution quickly. If you get all emotional and lose your temper everyone will be less likely to work with you and help you. What's against you is that the repair was done 2+ years ago on a 14 yr old truck. Unless I'm missing something the dealer owes you nothing legally because of how long ago the work was done. As a GM myself, I would want to try and help my customer and cover some of the expense. Just my 2 cents.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Why are you going to a dealer to fix a non warranty issue?

A good mom and pop place will do better work fir less money. They have to provide quality service or they go out of business.
Dealer fucks up and nothing happens. Living off of the corporate tit. They have nothing to loose.

DLC

Reaction score
Drive it to havasu for a weekend away and drop that shit box off at Robinsons they will fix it!
You’ll have a great weekend boom done and it’s fixed right!

rush1

Reaction score
I hate to tell you ,All Dodge deallers suck always have always will ,my family has driven Dodges and nothing but dodges since the twenties, my first car was a 1925 dodge roadster I started restoring since I was 15 years old ,I now drive nothing but chevy's easy to repair, cheap to repair ( relatively speaking ) and I'll never go back.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Why are you going to a dealer to fix a non warranty issue?

A good mom and pop place will do better work fir less money. They have to provide quality service or they go out of business.
Dealer fucks up and nothing happens. Living off of the corporate tit. They have nothing to loose.
The nice thing about going to a (competent) dealer is they've seen the same problems over and over under warranty and usually don't have to charge you a ton of money trying to figure it out. That said, just like an independent shop, you have to hunt down one that is competent. During my time in that business, most guys that people labeled as crooks were just lazy or incompetent. I know it I got done with a job and had a spare bolt, I was gonna suck it up and disassemble that shit until I put it back where it went. Whereas a coworker was not so thorough. If I lost a bolt, I went to him because he had a huge stash of "extra bolts".

musicFunsun

I Love BoBo!!!
Reaction score
Crap, My husbands Challenger is there now😳. 3 days in and still no diagnosis 😡 plus, yesterday the phones weren’t working! He went there after work & they had no idea about the phones. Seriously!!! The bays are full and yet no one is calling to find out when their vehicle will be ready??!! I’ve got a bad feeling about this.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Sorry to say, but you fucked up. You have 12 months or 12k miles to enact the warranty provided. You did not do that. All on you.

However you fucked up TWICE. You let them stick their dick in your ass a second time, and they fucked you again. Hopefully this one was recent, because they misdiagnosed the problem, and that's on them. After 4k and no heater you can get the BAR involved, and then they have to prove their position.

You cannot have someone else fix it then expect them to pick up the bill or get a refund for what they fucked you for. You MUST allow them at least 1 chance to stand behind their warranty and diagnosis. You are not liable to pay them, since the original complaint was not repaired. Make that clear. Make it clear you will not pay for anything else. If there is additional work required to fix the original complaint, then have them document it. At that point you would have enough ammo to open a claim with the BAR IMO.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Crap, My husbands Challenger is there now😳. 3 days in and still no diagnosis 😡 plus, yesterday the phones weren’t working! He went there after work & they had no idea about the phones. Seriously!!! The bays are full and yet no one is calling to find out when their vehicle will be ready??!! I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
No contact for 3 days? Trust your gut and get your car OUT OF THERE!

Magic Mike

Reaction score
I just had my first BMW service done and it was probably the best I’ve ever experienced. Female service writer, super sharp, everything first class. I leased the car from Swapalease. com, guy had pre-paid lease wear and tear and service. They hadn’t filled his name in on the paperwork (wouldn’t have been transferable if they had) she filled in my name, winked. Walked out 0 dollars for like 6 required services...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This. Sadly this will go nowhere. If it was 3 months after the repair maybe there would be a chance.

Sadly, every Dodge made has this same problem, and people keep right on buying them. Including your neighbor and my friend! LOL!

pkbullet

Reaction score
Would be tough to give any advise without seeing both of the invoices. They will dictate how the AG's office or Mag court will look at it.

traquer

Reaction score
I just had my first BMW service done and it was probably the best I’ve ever experienced. Female service writer, super sharp, everything first class. I leased the car from Swapalease. com, guy had pre-paid lease wear and tear and service. They hadn’t filled his name in on the paperwork (wouldn’t have been transferable if they had) she filled in my name, winked. Walked out 0 dollars for like 6 required services...

That's awesome, I think it's a thing BMW does on purpose to give lessees an other option? I see tons of BMWs on swapalease

I was joking mostly on the BMW comment, since I've never had any real troubles like this. This is a nightmare bullshit scenario on the Dodge. Although I did sell an M3 model that was known to blow engines to the tune of $20k lol

PlumLoco

Reaction score
So much to address here, but to begin, yes there was a long time between the first and second repair but I only drove 4000 miles in that time. Never needed the heater as I live here. Didn't use the a/c on the advice that if it went completely out it would contaminate the lines and be more costly to repair. 2 So Cal summers with no a/c but again I wasn't using it much at all.
I did enough research to know that it was difficult to diagnose and repair. Looked into some of the "repair kits" online, but they all look jiffy and are still a pain to install. Much of the issue is one large unserviceable part that costs over a grand. I talked to at least four different Independents who said NOPE.

Half of this last bill was for the a/c. If I recall the new compressor was appx. $600-800. Frankly I was expecting more for OEM.

This dealer has been solid in the past for me. This truck was bought from Frahm in Norco new with a factory Lifetime Powertrain warranty. I don't know if they (Chrysler) will truly honor it when I need a motor or trans, but so far I have had two axle seals and a rear transmission seal begin to leak, and all were fixed for free because of it. Replaced a radio and a clutch cylinder under warranty in my PT which we bought from them.
I don't want to blow up my relationship with them. I want to find the fastest, most efficient route to someone who can hold service accountable. I have been the BAR route before. That is why I know every Pontiac/GM dealer within 50 miles of my house sucks. Six different dealers all treated me like they never wanted my business ever again.
I will gather up my paperwork tonight and see where it goes. Thanks for listening.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
BMW's don't seem to get the mystery issues that domestics do. But they will break down and leave you stranded, but they can always be repaired $$$$$.

Duramax

Reaction score
So much to address here, but to begin, yes there was a long time between the first and second repair but I only drove 4000 miles in that time. Never needed the heater as I live here. Didn't use the a/c on the advice that if it went completely out it would contaminate the lines and be more costly to repair. 2 So Cal summers with no a/c but again I wasn't using it much at all.
I did enough research to know that it was difficult to diagnose and repair. Looked into some of the "repair kits" online, but they all look jiffy and are still a pain to install. Much of the issue is one large unserviceable part that costs over a grand. I talked to at least four different Independents who said NOPE.

Half of this last bill was for the a/c. If I recall the new compressor was appx. $600-800. Frankly I was expecting more for OEM.

This dealer has been solid in the past for me. This truck was bought from Frahm in Norco new with a factory Lifetime Powertrain warranty. I don't know if they (Chrysler) will truly honor it when I need a motor or trans, but so far I have had two axle seals and a rear transmission seal begin to leak, and all were fixed for free because of it. Replaced a radio and a clutch cylinder under warranty in my PT which we bought from them.
I don't want to blow up my relationship with them. I want to find the fastest, most efficient route to someone who can hold service accountable. I have been the BAR route before. That is why I know every Pontiac/GM dealer within 50 miles of my house sucks. Six different dealers all treated me like they never wanted my business ever again.
I will gather up my paperwork tonight and see where it goes. Thanks for listening.
I sent you a DM.

28Eliminator

Reaction score
"With only about half the normal amount of water in the radiator, the guage is now reading two needle widths above the midline instead of below it. But still I have no hot air coming out of the vents."

Why would you run it with half the coolant in it?? with that, of course it's not going to make any heat.

PlumLoco

Reaction score
Today is my 60th birthday. So far the best thing I have gotten is my truck back from Redlands Dodge. And now everything is working as designed. Fred is the service manager and after chasing him a bit, we had a sitdown conversation. This was on a Thursday and we agreed I would bring it back on Tuesday for further diagnostic on their dime. They pulled temps from all over the system that had us all scratching our heads.
Long story short, it seems there was some kind of blockage in the area going into the heater core. I'm still not 100% sure I believe that mixing green and orange coolant caused this. But I still need to have a conversation with my regular mechanic, who was supposed to have flushed the system a while back. I do know that before you could blast the heat and it wouldn't bother you during the day with the windows up. Now it blows HOT like it was designed to do.
I was very happy with how Fred got involved and made things happen in the garage. The service writer Alex was not helpful at all. Typical service writer that doesn't seem to know much about actual working on cars, or how to keep customers happy and in the loop.
And thanks again to a couple of inmates who PMd me, offering my help and advice. I definitely would have given you a call, but fortunately it never became necessary.