WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Acl surgery

Tbrownski

Reaction score
So I was up skiing a month ago, made a turn, felt a pop and went down. I immediately had a suspicion I blew my acl and it turns out I was right. I go in for surgery next week for a new acl and a meniscus repair. My work is doing light duty for me as soon as I can drive and walk around a little but my growing concern is how soon I’ll be able to get back in my side by side. It’s my left knee so maybe in a couple months? I just bought all new shocks and have put a ton of work into it for some trips this spring. Anybody have any experience with the rehab process?

Riley1

Reaction score
So I was up skiing a month ago, made a turn, felt a pop and went down. I immediately had a suspicion I blew my acl and it turns out I was right. I go in for surgery next week for a new acl and a meniscus repair. My work is doing light duty for me as soon as I can drive and walk around a little but my growing concern is how soon I’ll be able to get back in my side by side. It’s my left knee so maybe in a couple months? I just bought all new shocks and have put a ton of work into it for some trips this spring. Anybody have any experience with the rehab process?
I had the surgery about 3 years ago. I work in a construction based/type of Job and I was out for 5 months. From Work. I was at the River 3-4 weeks later. Walking with a cane at first. I would’ve only been out for 2 weeks if I had a desk job. I’d say back in the SxS in 3-4 weeks.
But by then it’s boating season anyway. 👊

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I think your couple month guess is pretty good. If you get a blood clot after like I did add 3 more weeks.

GOTTBoat

Reaction score
I had my left ACL replaced in 2000, woke up after surgery that night with my foot in a machine that kind of mimicked riding a bicycle. Released from the hospital the next day and I believe I started physical therapy the following day. Both my vehicles were manuals so I had to shift from day one so that was fun. It takes weeks for it to feel stable enough to comfortably walk on it with any confidence. Once it healed up went right back to dirt bike ( with knee brace) and still riding stand up jet ski no problem.

Tbrownski

Reaction score
Thanks guys this is all sounding like good news. We’re trying to hit Moab in may so hopefully I’ll make it to that one at least

Slink

Tennessee Living
Reaction score
Had mine done 5 yrs ago...ACL /MCL replace. Company came over the day before surgery and delivered a motion machine and an electric ice wrap. A few hours after I was home from the hospital my leg was in the machine moving / bending the knee. Don't wait to start on your pain meds to late...my hospital shit wore off before the Narco's kicked in....Holy Hell....not fun. Also, push yourself with the machine and also at PT...Had a lady in PT with me who had to go back in and have her knee completed re-worked because she let scare tissue take over and her knee basically froze and was unable to bend.

You'll get a cool full leg brace that has limits set that will only allow your leg to bend so much at first...safety precaution. You'll then progress into one of those NFL lineman type knee supports for support strength.....once you get into that brace, you should be good to go.....With the first full leg brace, I wouldn't push it too hard.

idk

Reaction score
I did my acl and meniscus also in 2014 on my right knee, I did physical therapy for over a month till I got full range of motion before the surgery. I bought a sxs a couple months after the surgery for riding season I stayed off my bike for almost a year I didn't want to screw it up. The Dr said it was going to be sore for about 2 years and he was right. I had a custom made carbon fiber brace made that saved my ass.

outboard_256

Reaction score
I had it like 6 years ago. It took me 6 months to be able to walk again. But I was driving on crutches in probably 3-4 months.

copterzach

Reaction score
I had my acl repaired with a cadaver ligament and 11 stitches on my meniscus on Nov 30, 2018. I flew Santa to the elementary school on 12/12. I was 45 years old when I did it. Not young, and no athlete by any means. Like was said earlier. Get on the torture machine that bends your knee and push it. I only went to PT 2 days. Figured I was more active on my own than what they provided. I think they were more interested in riding out the insurance than getting me going.

56532681913__CA542C9B-4883-45A6-9C4D-8EF4185473F3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AR33

Reaction score
ACL reconstruction about 10 years ago. Being a dumbass and trying to hit huge bowls on the ski slopes like when I was young. What I thought was a jump ended up being a wall and had to take the ride of shame on the sled down the hill.
I was moving around fairly well in about 4 weeks and running by 4 months. Wasn’t able to play basketball for about a year. A good rehab program is key. Took me longer because my rehab sucked.

AR33

Reaction score
Now that I think about it. I was on a guys trip in Utah and I messed up snow skiing for the rest of the guys so we took my buddies SxS out in the snow the next day. They helped me into the passenger side and strapped me in. We had a blast. So you should be fine in a SxS.

Hobie614

Reaction score
I just had my ACL / Meniscus replaced / repaired in June of 2020. I was back in SXS just shy of 4 weeks later. It was my left so I just set it aside and didnt get out much at the stops. The first few weeks are rough and it gets better quick after the 4 week mark.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score

Ive had mine done twice with a partial repair a 3rd time.

First time wasn't so bad, i was a teenager. Second time was in my 20's and it was a lot bigger repair/surgery. I still have some issues with one of the "studs"..that kinda sticks out..you can see pushing up. If i hit that on anything it is extremely painful.

use the "flexing" machine, and be religious about PT. The biggest thing is you will be in a brace for a long time...and that somewhat limits mobility until you learn to "run" in it. If you skimp on PT or the machine you will lose range of motion. I ran a half marathon 6 months post op.

BC i've had it done more than once, ive got a lot bigger scar below my knee than some will.

johnner58

Reaction score
Had mine done in 2000, havent looked back, they scalped my hamstring and grafted it in to repair the ACL, begin rehab immediately and stick with it. I worked heavy construction back then and was back to work in 5 weeks.
Best of Luck!

Spudsbud

Reaction score
Find a Physical Therapist with a D.PT.
nothing less.
They book fast and far in advance.
Reserve ypur appts NOW otherwise it can be a real pain.
Listen to your therapist for therapy.
Not your surgeon.
DO Not miss any therapy sessions. This is very important.
Full ACL replacement? From where? Your other knee? Same knee? Patellar tendon, below your kneecap. Thats gotta heal too.
3 months I believe is unrealstic. But maybe.
Mine was 6 months out.
Meds are your friend. Take 1, 1 hour before your rehab appt. You'll be very glad you did.......
Good luck.

nowski

Reaction score
If I told you my full ACL story from date of injury, activities up to surgery, rehab and back to work you probably wouldn't believe me so I'll shorten it up a bit.

I had a donor ACL installed by Dr. Bayer ( one of the 1st surgeons doing this surgery) way back in the summer of 1994. In two weeks time I was back on my ten speed and was able to pedal all the way around without lifting my foot off the pedal. That pretty good progress after only my first day back on the bike (was it painful, you bet but nothing compared to the date of injury). My wife heard of this from a neighbor when she came home from work and came unglued, she immediately called the surgeon. He told my wife that he was amazed at my progress and she some how changed her tone after the call. So the moral of the story is make progress moving forward with your range of motion everyday whether it be at physical therapy or at home...

I wish you luck on your upcoming surgery and recovery...

Last edited:

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I was racing shifter karts 30 days after ACL reconstruction. But you will not want to do anything that could screw up the healing for 6 months. No running, bike riding unless stationary, motocross, etc. Nothing that would put you at risk. But driving your side by side would be no problem. Just be careful getting in and out of the car so you don't slip on a rock or un-even terrain.

Track Man

Reaction score
I tore my ACL three years ago. I didn’t get it fixed. Dr. told me I could live without an ACL. BS. Then I tore my meniscus. I had ACL and meniscus surgery a year ago. Now I lost 3/4 of my meniscus. Not good. The ACL surgery was a piece of cake. 45 minutes. Two little holes. I did the 24 seven ice machine for two weeks. I had no pain. No pain meds. Do your physical therapy and do not rush it. I was back water skiing in four months. Some of the best therapy you can do. Throttle therapy is good therapy to.

copterzach

Reaction score
If I told you my full ACL story from date of injury, activities up to surgery, rehab and back to work you probably wouldn't believe me so I'll shorten it up a bit.

I had a donor ACL installed by Dr. Bayer ( one of the 1st surgeons doing this surgery) way back in the summer of 1994. In two weeks time I was back on my ten speed and was able to pedal all the way around without lifting my foot off the pedal. That pretty good progress after only my first day back on the bike (was it painful, you bet but nothing compared to the date of injury). My wife heard of this from a neighbor when she came home from work and came unglued, she immediately called the surgeon. He told my wife that he was amazed at my progress and she some how changed her tone after the call. So the moral of the story is make progress moving forward with your range of motion everyday whether it be at physical therapy or at home...

I wish you luck on your upcoming surgery and recovery...

Get it moving ASAP.