WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RDP Dogma, Episode 14. Tough Love Standoff.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I thought what the hell, I'd put a handful of shredded cheese or a chopped up hot dog in the dogs kibble.
Now she's 14 lbs. over weight and the wife has suspended my dog feeding privileges.
"You'd give the dog a Titos bloody Mary if I wasn't screening this." - The wife.

4th day of kibble only and the dog has balked at eating and turning to me for contraband.
Leaning against and pawing for a better meal. Sad face and attitude.

We've tried several brands of kibble because we had a cat that instinctively knew when we put out tainted food and balked immediately. Remember the bad pet food crisis? Our cat was hep. We're thinking maybe some bad food. Probably not, but still we over think things like this.

So, any kibble you can recommend to jump start this episode? - or just sweat it out.

gdm23bT.jpg

Last edited:

LHC30

Old Guy
Reaction score
We use Victor brand, they have a variety of blends for what your dog needs. High quality ingredients.

We too use a bit of cheese or a raw egg from time to time. Just a little (ie not a handful 😁) should be enough to give the incentive.

lebel409

Reaction score
We have some tough love going on right now, new couch and we don't want the dogs tearing it up like the last one.
The Rottie looks, but understands...normally he's the PITA. The little one has been testing and testing, hoping to break us. We just have to keep after her.

Your doggie won't starve to death...just keep the food available and eventually it'll disappear.

J5Daytona

Reaction score
Our Rottie will only eat Royal Canin , He doesnt even try and mess with Mastiff puppies food because its not the same as his . Also on saturdays he gets two raw eggs in his food which he gets pretty excited about and it keeps him shiny the way mom likes .

hallett21

Reaction score
Chicken broth of bone broth works too.

It’ll break your heart but after day 4-5 the dog will eat with just kibble

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Thanks for the takes.
Wife runs the dog and hikes miles and miles in the hills and we learned its really hard for the dog to shed pounds.
Best to keep them off.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
We use Costco dry food ( 2 cups AM & PM) with a little rice and chicken, chicken/veg broth mixed in will work for our dog, We had the same problem with our dog, he got up to 178 and the Vet said no more, so we had to cutout the extra snacks, he is back to his normal weight of 155-157lbs.
The Vet said just like us humans it raises the likelihood of contracting other health conditions when we over eat.

jetboatperformance

Reaction score
Sebastians daily rib bone.... "Beef its whats for breakfast"

edit ... For his daily food Rhonda uses the instapot for making it, 99 cents a lb chicken thighs , and mixes that in with unsalted green beens, carrot and brown rice, plain yogurt.... and SOMEBODY gives him a few tortilla chips a day ;)

Attachments

• seb meaty bone .jpeg
    seb meaty bone .jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

sirbob

Reaction score
We feed our pup off the table every night - she eats what we eat for the most part.

Every once in a while she has to eat only "her" food. I don't feel bad when she doesn't eat it, when she's hungry enough she will!

I have found that if I add some of her food to what ever we feed her that night, she is more likely to eat only her food when that all we have (ie if we go out to eat and don't make something at home).

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
I thought what the hell, I'd put a handful of shredded cheese or a chopped up hot dog in the dogs kibble.
Now she's 14 lbs. over weight and the wife has suspended my dog feeding privileges.
"You'd give the dog a Titos bloody Mary if I wasn't screening this." - The wife.

4th day of kibble only and the dog has balked at eating and turning to me for contraband.
Leaning against and pawing for a better meal. Sad face and attitude.

We've tried several brands of kibble because we had a cat that instinctively knew when we put out tainted food and balked immediately. Remember the bad pet food crisis? Our cat was hep. We're thinking maybe some bad food. Probably not, but still we over think things like this.

So, any kibble you can recommend to jump start this episode? - or just sweat it out.

gdm23bT.jpg
Try putting it in the microwave for one second. It will magically turn it into people food.

Or put some chicken broth on it

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

pkrrvr619

Reaction score
Microwave some water or broth add it to the kibble and put a tiny bit of wet food in it.
Use low cal dog food and they’ll eat it.

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Go buy a roll of "pet fresh" add a little to the dry food and your golden.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
Boil some hotdogs for yourself, eat the dogs while having a beer, then use the warm hotdog broth over the top of the kibble....slowly start putting less broth and bam your dog is eating regular kibble in no time.

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
We add a few low sodium canned green beans to our dog's dry food. It helps fill her up and keeps the lbs down.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
5 days as of 4:00 this evening. Put the never-rattled wife in the sweat box.
Wife broke ranks and used almost all the above but in half thimble fulls. A thimble:
1616040652752.jpeg

It worked - dog inhaled her doctored food.
Thanks for the takes.

Evidently ribs showing on a Shepard doesn't necessarily mean they are under fed.
1636072368422d31ff81663.gif

Last edited:

JB in so cal

Reaction score
FWIW, we've been giving tilapia to our spoiled dogs. Cook it with just non stick; no oil. A couple chunks on top of the kibble. Maybe 2 ounces each. 2 filets last a few days. Costco has them individually frozen.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I share your struggle Ross. We have an Aussie who in reality needs very little actual food but that beg face and getting the paw just gets to everyone.

We feed him Canidae Milti-Life stages. 1 cup in the morning and a 1/2 cup at night. Occasionally we will top it with some shredded chicken.

We're all guilty of tossing him food when were eating, so much so he has turned into an obnoxious beggar, even barking at you.

Sad part is he gains weight easily so were down to carrots, banana chips, oranges, and apple slices.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
We have a 13yo Yorkie. We have given him table sraps/treats since he was a puppy. Fucker begs like a crack fiend. Last year we got a Wheaten terrier. Made the choice that he only eats dog kibble. He doesn't even acknowledge people food, never begs...

Wayn-o

Reaction score
No people food for our 2 dogs but both have gotten pancreatitis at some point. Vet gave us this magic dust to sprinkle on their food to get them to eat. Works well. Gave some to friends with good results too.

1616120987711.png

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
No people food for our 2 dogs but both have gotten pancreatitis at some point. Vet gave us this magic dust to sprinkle on their food to get them to eat. Works well. Gave some to friends with good results too.

View attachment 983549
I’ll order some. Wife loves doing that kinda trick.

cxr

Reaction score
Boil some hotdogs for yourself, eat the dogs while having a beer, then use the warm hotdog broth over the top of the kibble....slowly start putting less broth and bam your dog is eating regular kibble in no time.

Or the dog learns to talk and will be like WTF is this , DAVE :)

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
My lab had a waist until the day she died. Iams large breed weight control twice a day and she ate all sorts of food from the table.