WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Canal blocked

HCP3

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210325-165653.png

Sandlord

Reaction score
News guy said 200,000 TEU’s. Thats a lot of containers.

Javajoe

Reaction score
2 Canal Pilots were on board as it ran aground

Sherpa

Reaction score
Big water pumps sucking water from the canal and put that water through steel pipes pumping into the sides and bottom of the of the canal..

basically liquefying the dirt into mud that sinks and allows the boat to be pulled off the banks.

ya’all heard it here first!

-Sherpa

Moneypit

Ol' school kid..........
Reaction score
Two things I think I hear on the news...#1 ship lost power and was unable to steer, and #2, the way the ship is grounded, (both ends) it could break in half if not floated properly!!!!!!!. If that happens, it was said it would be quicker to dig another canal than to try to salvage the ship and cargo....
(Sorry if this was already mentioned )
Ray

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
We have an in house ocean going retired captain amongst us. Hopefully he can chime in as I'm sure he's been through there....

@stephenkatsea
As I previously posted, the Suez Canal is not the engineering marvel the Panama Canal is. It's been a number of years since I've been there. But, basically it's just a ditch dug through the desert. Vessels travel through under their own power. Assisting tugs, if any, are dependent on the size of the vessel. I would assume this very large container ship would have had the maximum number of tugs available. "Available" is the key word here. When things break down in that area it can take a very long time before they're back on line. Easy to say that the adequate number of tugs were not involved. Cause? Not sure. They say excessive wind. I've read other ships were having similar problems in that area. Maybe true. But, if the following vessels were slowing/stopping due to the restriction ahead, their ability to maintain a heading diminishes drastically at very slow speeds. Again, tugs at hand become a determining factor. I'm curious if this has ever happened before. Seems likely that it has. But, were they vessels this large and as hard aground as this? I've read that Smit Lloyd, a very capable International Marine Company, has been hired to free the container ship. Below deck ballast could be easily pumped off to lighten the vessel. But, then with the tremendous amount of weight above deck, a stability issue could arise. Many additional unseen containers are likely below deck and not easily removed at this time. Removal of the above deck containers isn't easy in this situation. In any case, that one little back hoe in the photo is very unlikely to get the job done. This is going to take some time.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Forgot to mention the REQUIRED Suez Canal “lighting system” you had to carry. It was some BS bank of lights they placed temporarily on the bow deck and charged the shit out of you for it. Seemed like a total scam.

I’d forgotten the Suez Canal was closed for about 8 years during the Arab Israel conflict. The world got by without it. A number of ships remained “stuck” in the canal during that period. World was a different place back then, mid 60s to mid 70s. Those 15 stuck ships and their crews remained in the canal for those 8 years. They became known as the Yellow fleet because of the deterioration of the vessel’s coatings and the blowing sand. There are some interesting articles about this group of vessels and their crews. They created many unique activities to battle the boredom of just sitting there, including forming various athletic leagues, life boat racing and their own postal system.

Last edited:

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I think we need to send the RDP Jet Bote team over to the canal to assist with moving some mud out from under the ship so it can come off the land its on.

What do you figure, 4 to 6 jet boats all tied together trying to go 100 with the jets pointed at the bow to wash all that dirt away?

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Whats up with all the "rumors" about the Soviet military involved and lots of children being hidden on that ship????
Ghislane Maxwell husband owns. I'm sure this was 100 percent on purpose.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Read this morning that 7 of the ships stuck behind this behemoth are carrying live animals.
Mostly sheep headed for Arab countries from AU and NZ. Some are carrying cattle too. Over 90,000 head.

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Read this morning that 7 of the ships stuck behind this behemoth are carrying live animals.
Mostly sheep headed for Arab countries from AU and NZ. Some are carrying cattle too. Over 90,000 head.
[emoji852]
They sit there much longer and it's time for gyros.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
And for those of us deplorables who believe "there are no conspiracies but no coincidences"...

"What are the odds a Taiwanese container ship the size of the Empire State Building runs aground supposedly from 40 knot winds days after the EU sanctions Chinese Communist Party officials? About the same as Joe Biden getting knocked down by the wind. Or a Republican not selling out her base. It’s all Evergreen. No conspiracies, but no coincidences. One way to avoid the next time the CCP tries playing tetris in the Suez Canal, is a new artisanal revolution, decoupled from China with “telework populism” and local supply chains. Where the entire global economy won’t collapse by a single event." - Bannon's War Room

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Appears Strong Winds and this Ship do not Mix? It hit a Ferry Boat several years Back. 🤔

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
:rolleyes: How do you true believers keep all those conspiracy theories straight? Notebook? Spreadsheet?

How do you get by without a sense of humor these days?