WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

1984 f350 question.

spectra bash

Reaction score
So i am looking at a 84 f350 crewcab longbed 4x4 with original 460. Truck body and interior are real clean. I can have it for $5000. Was wondering thoughts on swaping out 460 for new 7.3 gas motor and a new tranny. I have been wanting to build something like this mainly for camping and towing boat. Dont really want to buy a new truck. I already have a 2004 chevy 2500 diesel. Any opinions and maybe a shop that might do a good job on that swap? Thanks

Gelcoater

Reaction score
So i am looking at a 84 f350 crewcab longbed 4x4 with original 460. Truck body and interior are real clean. I can have it for $5000. Was wondering thoughts on swaping out 460 for new 7.3 gas motor and a new tranny. I have been wanting to build something like this mainly for camping and towing boat. Dont really want to buy a new truck. I already have a 2004 chevy 2500 diesel. Any opinions and maybe a shop that might do a good job on that swap? Thanks
That engine will cost more than the truck, plus instal costs.

Someone will be along soon to tell you a modern F-150 will tow more than an old one ton anyways and you should t bother with this old rig😂

I think I’d try breathing some life into the old 460, they are fine engines.
For a Ford😎
Wouldn’t cost as much and rather simple with a carb vs the electronic mumbo jumbo.

spectra bash

Reaction score
That engine will cost more than the truck, plus instal costs.

Someone will be along soon to tell you a modern F-150 will tow more than an old one ton anyways and you should t bother with this old rig😂

I think I’d try breathing some life into the old 460, they are fine engines.
For a Ford😎
Wouldn’t cost as much and rather simple with a carb vs the electronic mumbo jumbo.
It would also carry a overhead camper which a f150 wouldnt work. I have always been a chevy guy . Barry from obnoxious built my dads 460 to a 545 in my boat and it has been great. I also think older trucks just have more style . Old f250 or 70's chevy crew cab.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
It would also carry a overhead camper which a f150 wouldnt work. I have always been a chevy guy . Barry from obnoxious built my dads 460 to a 545 in my boat and it has been great. I also think older trucks just have more style . Old f250 or 70's chevy crew cab.
There was a GMC 3+3 for sale in here a few weeks ago that was pretty nice. 4x4 too.
Soft spot for those, lol

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
I ran into a guy in northern Arizona (Show Low) that had one with a compound turbo and a 12v Cummins in it. I don't remember what tranny he was running but this thing hauled ass and could tow a house. It's probably more economical to find an older diesel motor than mess around with the new 7.3 gas motor. Plus you get to skip the hassle of all the electronic shit on that motor. I have a photo somewhere I'll see if I can dig it up.

spectra bash

Reaction score
Also looking at a 86 c30 Chevy dually clean. But has 6.2 diesel. Not sure about that motor. Also would prefer 4x4. Maybe can convert it

AZmike

Eastsider
Reaction score
This is the only photo I could find.
IMG_1085.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I get the impression OP isn't looking for the easiest or cheapest solution. He is looking to do something with a bit of challenge.
I commend that, I remember when people were just starting to transplant TPI small blocks and everyone was sayin it was going to be a big headache. Now all the big three have trunkey conversions, though I haven't seen a ford 7.3 gas drop in yet. The aftermarket for EFI transplant has exploded

GO FOR IT! no pain no glory!

v6toy4x

Reaction score

Your ad here

Reaction score
How nice of a truck do you want? Finding parts for an 84 will be tough. The only thing it really has going for it is the king pin Dana 60 and that classic truck look. Frames twist like a pretzel, rides terrible, brakes and mirrors suck.

spectra bash

Reaction score
How nice of a truck do you want? Finding parts for an 84 will be tough. The only thing it really has going for it is the king pin Dana 60 and that classic truck look. Frames twist like a pretzel, rides terrible, brakes and mirrors suck.
Makes sense. Looking to build a camper. Maybe better off going through suspension and tranny on my 04 2500.