WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dealership Callout

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
My son found a truck at Tustin GMC that checked all his boxes, so I went with him to make are he didn’t F’d over. They wouldn’t dicker on the price, so I figured at $38k plus another $4k in taxes and we’re at $42k. He brings the paperwork back and the payment seem high for 72 months (I don’t know why he did 72 months), and I look and don’t see an out the door price, but I do see an item that says “add-ons” $3080. What is add-ons? He says it’s a GPS. I tell him the truck has navigation and OnStar, I don’t want it. He tells me its already installed in the truck. I tell him I didn’t agree for it to be installed and I’m already paying the asking price, I’m not paying for it. He says that he’ll check with the sales manager - I’ve never seen a sales guy return this fast, he say he won’t take it off. I tell him I’m not paying for it, so he gathers all the paperwork and says okay. He didn’t even try to work with me.
This seems pretty unscrupulous to force the customers to pay an additional cost for something they don’t want even though the cost is not shown until the actual numbers are crunched. How many people don’t question the cost and pay for it anyway without knowing it? I’m filing a complaint with the state for dishonest business practices.​

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
1617856329849.jpeg

The Prisoner

Reaction score
He only asked the sales manager if he had tickets to the Gopher game. :p

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty fuked up and I would have done the same.

Who's the resident GMC guy here?

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty fuked up and I would have done the same.

Who's the resident GMC guy here?
I wish I noticed the Dutton Dave that advertises on here before I bought my truck. Say he delivers to Havasu. I checked his inventory. Way better than around here. Next time when my lease is up on my new uncomfortable Denali. Going back to Escalade.

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
I've been hearing this more and more.

My car was about to ship to the dealership when I bought it. So all the dealership add-ons could've been avoided. As in... it could've arrived and they don't touch it.

Well the car was in high demand, so they basically told me take or leave it.

Hell, I have good credit and still got a shit rate around 4%, if I remember correctly.

My wife's Honda Civic in 2016... uhhhh plastic liner in the trunk and small mud flaps are already on there. Oh wait, it's not. We had to go back and say your add-ons are dumb as shit but we paid for them. So hand it over.

arch stanton

Reaction score
usually they try to get you in the finance paperwork I have walked from deals or a the very least call them out. I tell them going in that I have been in the used car business so don't try and screw me but they sometimes try anyway.

riverbrian

Chloe's Dad
Reaction score
Hatfield is a no BS dealer, but inventory is tight!

The sales manager who I have purchased 4 vehicles from told me please don’t wreck my 2021 Yukon Denali, he doesn’t know when he would be able to replace it....

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My son found a truck at Tustin GMC that checked all his boxes, so I went with him to make are he didn’t F’d over. They wouldn’t dicker on the price, so I figured at $38k plus another $4k in taxes and we’re at $42k. He brings the paperwork back and the payment seem high for 72 months (I don’t know why he did 72 months), and I look and don’t see an out the door price, but I do see an item that says “add-ons” $3080. What is add-ons? He says it’s a GPS. I tell him the truck has navigation and OnStar, I don’t want it. He tells me its already installed in the truck. I tell him I didn’t agree for it to be installed and I’m already paying the asking price, I’m not paying for it. He says that he’ll check with the sales manager - I’ve never seen a sales guy return this fast, he say he won’t take it off. I tell him I’m not paying for it, so he gathers all the paperwork and says okay. He didn’t even try to work with me.​
This seems pretty unscrupulous to force the customers to pay an additional cost for something they don’t want even though the cost is not shown until the actual numbers are crunched. How many people don’t question the cost and pay for it anyway without knowing it? I’m filing a complaint with the state for dishonest business practices.​

Was it on the window sticker? (if it was, you have no beef)

Did you take a pic of the window sticker to VERIFY that the add on wasn't on there? (if you didn't, don't bother to file a complaint)

Do you have a copy of the paperwork where there they showed/wanted to charge you for this GPS add on? (if you don't, don't bother to file a complaint)

You have to have some documentation in hand if you're going to file any kind of complaint. Otherwise, it's your word against his.

Odds are nothing is going to happen even if you CAN document this event. Car salesmen. Duh. Buyer beware!!!

:p

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Tustin GMC advertises low prices and then makes up some BS fee in the final sales price. It’s so sketchy. You should have used @DuttonDave. No games, just a great deal.
He’s looking for a used truck, the prices for new ones is stupid. The used truck market is nuts right now too, nobody’s dealing, that’s the price.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Was it on the window sticker? (if it was, you have no beef)

Did you take a pic of the window sticker to VERIFY that the add on wasn't on there? (if you didn't, don't bother to file a complaint)

Do you have a copy of the paperwork where there they showed/wanted to charge you for this GPS add on? (if you don't, don't bother to file a complaint)

You have to have some documentation in hand if you're going to file any kind of complaint. Otherwise, it's your word against his.

Odds are nothing is going to happen even if you CAN document this event. Car salesmen. Duh. Buyer beware!!!

:p
This was on a used truck. We agreed on the asking price, he was pissed that we didn’t want the extended warranty, the paint protection, wheel and tire warranty, or the service contract.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
This was on a used truck. We agreed on the asking price, he was pissed that we didn’t want the extended warranty, the paint protection, wheel and tire warranty, or the service contract.

And that's why they told you to buzz off...

Let's say your a used car salesman. (Pretty much the lowest form of life on this earth)

You KNOW that when a customer is looking at (and excited about) a car you have on the lot, said customer CANNOT go shopping for another car just like it! The salesman knows, he already has you by the balls...

So you have two options. Play by his rules, or just walk away! You took option 2. You have zero to (legitimately) complain about.

(Sad truth)

Protip: There is a minimum of 5 to 7k mark up on ANY used car. So make your first offer 5k less than the asking price, then, negotiate from there.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Oh an another thing....

IF it was a CPO used vehicle, it should have come with an extended warranty and service contract.

petie6464

Reaction score
At some point in life most people come to the understanding when you by from a car dealership you're getting screwed in one way or another. So when you see some blatant screwing don't be surprised, there are probably several other ways they dug out more money from you without catching them.

DuttonDave

Your RDP Connection For Buick, GMC & Cadillac
Reaction score
At some point in life most people come to the understanding when you by from a car dealership you're getting screwed in one way or another. So when you see some blatant screwing don't be surprised, there are probably several other ways they dug out more money from you without catching them.
As I mentioned before, most dealerships would not pull that crap!!!

DuttonDave

Reaction score
My son found a truck at Tustin GMC that checked all his boxes, so I went with him to make are he didn’t F’d over. They wouldn’t dicker on the price, so I figured at $38k plus another $4k in taxes and we’re at $42k. He brings the paperwork back and the payment seem high for 72 months (I don’t know why he did 72 months), and I look and don’t see an out the door price, but I do see an item that says “add-ons” $3080. What is add-ons? He says it’s a GPS. I tell him the truck has navigation and OnStar, I don’t want it. He tells me its already installed in the truck. I tell him I didn’t agree for it to be installed and I’m already paying the asking price, I’m not paying for it. He says that he’ll check with the sales manager - I’ve never seen a sales guy return this fast, he say he won’t take it off. I tell him I’m not paying for it, so he gathers all the paperwork and says okay. He didn’t even try to work with me.​
Call me if you need help with anything...

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Oh an another thing....

IF it was a CPO used vehicle, it should have come with an extended warranty and service contract.

We're dealing the an issue with a BMW CPO right now that is maddening.. I 100% regret just not buying my wife a new one. I won't ever do it again.

DuttonDave

Reaction score
Hatfield is a no BS dealer, but inventory is tight!

The sales manager who I have purchased 4 vehicles from told me please don’t wreck my 2021 Yukon Denali, he doesn’t know when he would be able to replace it....
Hatfield is also a good dealership

The Prisoner

Reaction score
Yeah. Like fuck the delivery/destination charge. WE didn’t tell you to open a dealership. Fuck you and your charge...... you should have the cars there anyways. :D

Last edited:

Bear Down

Reaction score
Sounds like they went to the school of sales put on by Huntington Beach Jeep. I swear they tried this on me for a used car even had a brochure about each feature they installed on it. "Of Course we could remove it, there is a charge for it...about the same as the cost to keep it on"... My response was "thanks for wasting our time today".

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
it's funny how you have to look at what shoes people have on.... it's the same with private party sales right now,... yeah, it's more than I paid new... but thats the price , take it or leave it... Dollar value is way down right now.... prices of every thing is up.... I bought a spa for $5900 otd a year ago... same spa is $7600 plus tax now.... it is what it is... owners have the right to ask what ever they want,, buyers have the right to walk away... dealer are there to make money,.. their not gonna discount to be friends...... for what ever reason they say,... they're gonna get over sticker right now... not a good time to buy anything right now...

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I've never seen a sales contract that doesn't explicitely list the final sales price of the vehicle. I've caught a dealer trying sneak a "dealer package" in on the sale. We agreed on a price, that is what should be in the "Vehicle final sales price" block on the contract.

They got my wife this way when she leased her Honda a couple years ago. The dealership dorked around long enough that I had to go back to work. She was going in to sign the papers, I asked to see the final prices and it all looked good. When I got home, they had added a bunch of stuff in there (maintenance programs and such). I was pissed, but nothing I could do at that point. They know that once you are in signing the papers that most people are commited to the purchase and they can change the deal to benefit the dealer with little pushback.

I hate buying cars.

Last one we bought I did the deal over the phone, told the salesman that besides taxes, if the price was a penny different than we discussed that I would walk. When I got to the dealership the car was on the showroom floor, we signed the paper work (price was to the penny) and drove away in under an hour.

Last edited:

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
I just bought a 2021 Honda Accord for my son and went though the Costco program it was easy. I did get different prices from all dealers over but after there discounts they had $2200-3000 in dealer add ons which I don’t care for or want. I did find a dealer with no add ons and the same discount and it was a easy no pressure

Water Romper

Reaction score
RV dealers are the same- I tried to haggle a "mandatory" $1800.00 after market break install for a 16ft trailer, The salesman basically said "we are done here, go away" wouldn't even consider other options. As CP (original poster) mentioned, new trucks are absolutely absurd, GMC Denali, $98,000 and what baffles me is that they are everywhere- Even here in Idaho where the average income is 60k a year.

So back to the original post- What's your next option? seek out a reputable-straight shooting dealer? Go to CarMax?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Your first mistake was agreeing to pay MSRP! They knew you would pay any price as long as the payment met the budget. The problem with kids these days is they only care about payment cost. You and your kid need to take some Dave Ramsey courses. Setting your kid up to be burdened with 6 years of payments isn’t right. Teach him the value of cash. If your not willing to pay that amount in cash why in the F would you borrow money plus interest then? The dealer isn’t your problem!!

Joker

Reaction score
I just bought from there and they tried the same bs with some exterior and interior coating. The truck just arrived so they hadn’t done it yet so they took it off the price. I did pay for some crap with the gps though. I believe my add on was 1500

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
This is why I just buy from people I know, like and trust. Last 2 vehicles we purchased were from Gosch Ford in Hemet (brand new Fusion and used Super Duty). Both bought from my buddy Ryan who knows I am a no BS dude and an easy close if he just keeps it simple and doesn't try to screw around. We deal with each other over text, agree on price + tax/registration and that's it, no other BS, no upsells, just black and white.

I cruise down, look at vehicle, take for drive, come back and sign. Less than an hour of my time from leaving house, showing up at dealership and driving away.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Your first mistake was agreeing to pay MSRP! They knew you would pay any price as long as the payment met the budget. The problem with kids these days is they only care about payment cost. You and your kid need to take some Dave Ramsey courses. Setting your kid up to be burdened with 6 years of payments isn’t right. Teach him the value of cash. If your not willing to pay that amount in cash why in the F would you borrow money plus interest then? The dealer isn’t your problem!!
Believe me I have never paid sticker, and will never pay over sticker, but we tried to beat the guy down (decent trucks under $40k without a butt-load of miles are far and few between, it's a seller's market), but he wouldn't budge. He did the old "let me check with my manager BS". My son had his budget set and this fell within it. The price including the financing was just to purchase the truck and then we'd refinance through our credit union when he sells his truck to add that to the principle to bring his payment down. He's only going to finance for 48 months max. I don't feel I did any disservice, I showed him this BS add-on that we did not agree to and when they wouldn't remove the charge we walked away.

guest hs

Reaction score
The problem these days is supply and demand!!there’s more buyers then inventory. You pay what they want or don’t buy it. I went to Anderson Chrysler with cash to buy a Durango and they wouldn’t move on the price or even discount an extended warranty. I still bought the car because we missed out on two others already.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Chili

If he wants a Ford my buddy runs the Ford dealer at Tustin Autonation.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Chili

If he wants a Ford my buddy runs the Ford dealer at Tustin Autonation.
I appreciate the offer, but he wants a Chevy or GMC. Thanks

On a side note I just went to Yelp to read the reviews and this $3000 mystery add is a common practice over at this dealership and a lot of people go ahead and pay for it anyway.

Desert Whaler

Reaction score
If your Son can afford to wait till the right truck comes along, that seems to always work out best for me. (especially right now).
My last 3 tuck purchases were at a time when I wasn't even actually 'shopping' for one, just sort of had it in the back of my mind.
I know . . . easier said than done.
My current truck sort of just fell in my lap . . . I had been looking for a specific truck/year/model but couldn't find one.
My neighbor had the EXACT TRUCK but swore he'd never sell it.
Then one day out of no where, he calls and said he had just ordered a really big boat, and needs a much larger truck . . . I walked over to his house and bought it.
So Yeah, if your Son can hold-off a bit, he'll be more in the drivers seat, and that's usually a good thing.
Good Luck.

Water Romper

Reaction score
If your Son can afford to wait till the right truck comes along, that seems to always work out best for me. (especially right now).
My last 3 tuck purchases were at a time when I wasn't even actually 'shopping' for one, just sort of had it in the back of my mind.
I know . . . easier said than done.
My current truck sort of just fell in my lap . . . I had been looking for a specific truck/year/model but couldn't find one.
My neighbor had the EXACT TRUCK but swore he'd never sell it.
Then one day out of no where, he calls and said he had just ordered a really big boat, and needs a much larger truck . . . I walked over to his house and bought it.
So Yeah, if your Son can hold-off a bit, he'll be more in the drivers seat, and that's usually a good thing.
Good Luck.
Exactly- DO NOT DO A PASSION BUY- falling in love with a vehicle/boat etc just knocks all defenses down, and you are screwed. Easier said than done but patience is the best negotiating tool.

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Don’t any of you guys watch the myriad of car buying videos on YouTube ? You all fell for the oldest tricks in the book ...do your negotiating over the computer , maintain your leverage .