WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Time for a new refridgerator!

satellitemike

Reaction score
Garage fridge is on its last leg, freezer seems to be keeping up but fridge isnt??? Anyway my wife would like to rotate house fridge out to the garage and get a new on for the house, other than the usual HD, Lowes, and BB any other places we should be looking? Not looking for all the bells and whistles but just a solid unit and brands to be avoided?

Last edited:

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Really like our LG. 10 yr warranty I think also.
Note. Remember to clean out all the lint and dust about every six months to keep it running smooth and efficient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
LG barn door with lower pull out freezer with ice maker in the door and in the freezer (2 ice makers) - really good unit

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I bought a Samsung a couple of years ago.........with the "extra warranty" glad I had the warranty. Noisy and the ice maker is total crap. It was so bad the warranty company refunded the total cost including the cost of the warranty and told us to keep the refer.

Joe mama

Reaction score
Electrolux over 10 years old, the fridge and freezer work great the ice maker is the biggest piece of shit I have ever bought. Called repair guy out shit ton of times and I finally gave up..last 9 years just buy a bag of ice lol

Taboma

Reaction score
Our french door feature loaded Samsung, purred like a kitty, not a problem going on 12 years. But, given the age, we've been checking out new ones.
I keep reading about how good Whirlpool are, US made etc. Yet when compared side by side with Samsung and LG or Kitchenaide, the door handles are uncomfortable, and the drawers absolutely suck --- they feel horribly cheap. The Kitchenaides are really nice inside, but most of their lineup are counter depth, we built the house with a deep recess for regular depth.
Really liked a few LG models, but don't want or need round ice balls from the lower freezer. Wife's close work friend buys a new LG and within a month needed the compressor replaced ---
Conclusion, don't matter, pick one you like and roll the damned dice and maybe you'll get a good one. Oh and the sales dude from Pacific Sales liked Samsung, or LG, and basically felt like modern frigs have about a seven year life span --- oh wonderful 😖

84miller

Reaction score
I am in the process of looking. Went to Home Depot and Lowes. Seems there is a limit to the availability. So go look, find one you want...be prepared to wait for delivery up to 3 months. FYI, had my fridge 21 years. Repairman told me to buy a fridge with the least amount of electronics you can find, as most of his repair call outs is the new electronics.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I was a Sears guy like Tim Allen since I started buying kitchen and laundry appliances. I have all Kennmore which as you know is just a label, the stuff was made by Whirlpool, etc.

Nothing has been without fault, though I carried their repair at home warranty for several years until I felt all the issues had been worked out, or the unit had gotten old enough that I would just need to replace it instead of fixing it.

Now with the demise of Sears, I'm not sure what I'd buy next. I had heard Samsung was decent, and know lots of folks that have them, and also I could just buy what Sears was relabeling, mainly Whirlpool or Frigidaire or whatever. I just figure with all appliances, get the warranty, deal with the issues because they will all have them, and then hope the issues go away before the warranty runs out.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Have you tried to find a side by side that doesn’t come with an ice maker? Our water tastes like crap and we buy ice at the store when we need it. A French door version won’t work at our place since the fridge is next to a wall, the left door can only open 90 degrees and with the shelves on the door the drawers won’t pull out enough to get get goodies out of back of them. I just want a basic fridge with no frills. I don’t need a computer screen on the fridge door.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Cabinet depth!!!!! One thing we wish we would of just stepped and did. We have a big 30 fridge. And it does Like most stick out a bit from the cabinets.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Conclusion, don't matter, pick one you like and roll the damned dice and maybe you'll get a good one. 😖
This is pretty much the correct conclusion, even the high end stuff takes a dump.
Worst one is Samsung, everyone I've talked to with one has wished they bought something else....me included.

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
About a year ago we got a GE refrigerator from Costco on sale, so far so good no problems.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Hard to find many models right now. Whirlpool which owns KitchenAid, Jennair, Maytag, Amana and Roper are often several weeks out. They can't keep up with orders and most items are seemingly built to order.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Picking's are rather slim right now. Our 18 year old Kenmore, Whirlpool, decided to take a piss on the floor a couple weeks ago, so off to City Maytag here in Havasu and nothing that caught our eye except a Maytag 25'. It had some strange lower compartment in the freezer that was called "Soft Freeze", what the hell is that? We passed. Went to Lowes and their pickings were slim and said what we wanted would be 2-3 months out. Looked a bit more and found one, Whirlpool, we both really liked 28.5' Was told not in stock but let me go look as they are unloading some off the truck right now. Low and behold, 1, was on the truck and was ours if we wanted it, delivered the next day!!!! Can somebody tell me how one fridge can be 3.5 cubic more than another and both have the same outside dimensions to the 1/8". Walls were the same thickness.

DWC

Reaction score
Garage fridge is on its last leg, freezer seems to be keeping up but fridge isnt??? Anyway my wife would like to rotate house fridge out to the garage and get a new on for the house, other than the usual HD, Lowes, and BB any other places we should be looking? Not looking for all the bells and whistles but just a solid unit and brands to be avoided?
Keep away from ice makers that are in the fridge instead of the freezer section. They seem to have more issues than most. The more bells and whistles the more stuff that can/will break.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Keep away from ice makers that are in the fridge instead of the freezer section. They seem to have more issues than most. The more bells and whistles the more stuff that can/will break.
Just went and looked at HD and most stuff was out of stcok and not sure when it might be available again??? If I only knew someone at HD that could pull some strings and make things happen!!! LOL
Did BB buy pacific sales?

Reactions: DWC

satellitemike

Reaction score
Shits getting expensive quick, wife is now looking to upgrade everything to stainless, fridge, dishwasher, stove/oven, and microwave, SHIT!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I like my French door Samsungs features, but not its dependability - should not buy probably go up to Dacor
I have counter depth size only and am limited severely by dimension.

A garage fridge?

I went a different direction.
The stand up 2/3 fridge 1/3 freezers is way to rigid.
My garage fridge is two ARB Fridge/ Freezers 50Qt each.If I need more space I'll get a 3rd.

Inifinitely more flexible

They can be fridges or freezers depending what you want,
Great for extended trips.
Be moved temporarily to a kitchen, or patio - thanksgiving and christmas meals always need more cooling area.
Run AC or DC.
Runs cheap - can run off a car battery for extended periods of time - little to no load on genset.
Doesnt heat up the space its in near as much.
Can freeze in 100 degree heat while inside a car

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Shits getting expensive quick, wife is now looking to upgrade everything to stainless, fridge, dishwasher, stove/oven, and microwave, SHIT!

Hahaha. I feel your pain. However. It will be super nice and worth it in the end. Everything new. Matching. Well of course until the monthly bill comes in. [emoji12][emoji33]

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see someone make a chest style freezer, at least 15 cu.ft. NOT frost free and an icemaker in it. My storage freezer in the garage is gettin old and the ice maker in my beer fridge in the garage died.

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Just went and looked at HD and most stuff was out of stcok and not sure when it might be available again??? If I only knew someone at HD that could pull some strings and make things happen!!! LOL
Did BB buy pacific sales?
I was under the impression that Big Orange does not stock anything except what's on the floor and those aren't normally sold.

satellitemike

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Big Orange does not stock anything except what's on the floor and those aren't normally sold.
They dont keep any large item appliances in the store anymore, everything must be ordered and w the covid bullshit everything is either on back order due to lack of parts or sold out cuz there wasnt any other options.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

Once in a while you can get lucky and they’ll have an open-box return on discount.

Got super lucky and found a gas range, open box and steep discount, for one of my house rehabs in the middle of COVID...it was like winning the lottery LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
They dont keep any large item appliances in the store anymore, everything must be ordered and w the covid bullshit everything is either on back order due to lack of parts or sold out cuz there wasnt any other options.

HD uses a 3rd party company. Lowes stocks what they sell unless its not in stock then it will ship to store and be delivered to you. City Maytag did our new stuff and it wasn't horrible on pricing for what it was.

satellitemike

Reaction score
Well the hunt is over, ended up getting all new SS appliances, fridge, stove, dishwasher, and microwave thru HD. We bought our last set of appliances with Joe and Grace there about 20 years ago. Well Grace is still there and sold them to us again, Joe has since retired and moved to Ohio. Grace said they still talk often.
Good employees are hard to find and even harder to keep, good work HD!

Thanks everyone for the info.

WYRD

Reaction score
20210402_164750.jpg

20210402_164717.jpg

I just picked up three of these for use on my job sites for $200 each. Brand new scratch and dent from the Lowe's outlet store on University in San Bernardino. Great deal on a brand new garage beer fridge

Taboma

Reaction score
Your machine rolled 5 7's on the progressive jackpot👍😊

Between 6 TVs, 2 large computer monitors, and the frig, all these some of the TVs going back 14 years now, all Samsung, we've had one repair, that being a power supply on one TV Samsung repaired for free long after any warranty period. It makes it difficult to dismiss their product even when weighed against so many negatives I'm hearing and reading. On the other hand, our LG Tron washer and dryer going back to 07' have been flawless as well.

For out next frig, we want French Door, with either one or two freezer drawers, NO ice or water in the door (we'll take interior water, doesn't matter, doesn't rob space), and only ice in the freezer and about 28 Cu Ft.
This is a criteria that's not easily found, especially right now, many models by all manufacturers are simply not available. So with any luck I haven't blown my Samsung Karma, because if I had to buy one by next weekend, I think I'd be stuck with what I could find, rather than what we want.

What I've been led to believe is, Samsung USED to build good products, and especially their TVs aren't what they used to be. Irritating when the sales guy at Pacific Sales is telling you to expect to replace your $ 2 - 3K frig every seven years, along with your $ 2K TV and washer and dryer --- WTF 🤯

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Between 6 TVs, 2 large computer monitors, and the frig, all these some of the TVs going back 14 years now, all Samsung, we've had one repair, that being a power supply on one TV Samsung repaired for free long after any warranty period. It makes it difficult to dismiss their product even when weighed against so many negatives I'm hearing and reading. On the other hand, our LG Tron washer and dryer going back to 07' have been flawless as well.

For out next frig, we want French Door, with either one or two freezer drawers, NO ice or water in the door (we'll take interior water, doesn't matter, doesn't rob space), and only ice in the freezer and about 28 Cu Ft.
This is a criteria that's not easily found, especially right now, many models by all manufacturers are simply not available. So with any luck I haven't blown my Samsung Karma, because if I had to buy one by next weekend, I think I'd be stuck with what I could find, rather than what we want.

What I've been led to believe is, Samsung USED to build good products, and especially their TVs aren't what they used to be. Irritating when the sales guy at Pacific Sales is telling you to expect to replace your $ 2 - 3K frig every seven years, along with your $ 2K TV and washer and dryer --- WTF 🤯
Yes, Samsung USED to be good. Their refrigerators are absolutely the worst in the market right now. I have a friend that is an appliance salesman and has been for like 25 years. He has told me to make sure myself any anyone I care about does NOT buy a Samsung fridge. Of course that was about 8 months AFTER my parents bought theirs that they have had to have fixed 3 times already and have given up on the ice maker completely.

farmo83

Reaction score
I bought a last years model at a Scratch and Dent depot, has been awesome. I walked in and the first thing the guy told me was that he had 0 stolen stuff in his store. I told him I didn't care and had cash. Got an awesome deal.

Taboma

Reaction score
Yes, Samsung USED to be good. Their refrigerators are absolutely the worst in the market right now. I have a friend that is an appliance salesman and has been for like 25 years. He has told me to make sure myself any anyone I care about does NOT buy a Samsung fridge. Of course that was about 8 months AFTER my parents bought theirs that they have had to have fixed 3 times already and have given up on the ice maker completely.

Yup, so we started leaning towards LG, wife's work gal buddy buys new $ 2700 model and it requires a compressor swap (Which I thought they didn't do in LG and Samsungs) in the first month.
Hell, a few months back, before we started beating the bushes for a new HUGE LED TV and new frig , feeling like ours were getting old and it would be fun to treat ourselves, we were kind of excited --- NOW, between "THEY'RE ALL SHIT" TV stories in reviews and RDPers, and likewise the "THEY'RE ALL SHIT" refrigerator stories --- I'm hugging our old shit every morning, " I love you baby " don't fail me now. 😂

I'm starting to think, since all the TVs and Frigs are shit, just buy the cheapest ones with the fewest features with the cheapest extended warranty ( This is the market mindset where Costco wins) and be prepared to junk em when the warranty expires.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Yup, so we started leaning towards LG, wife's work gal buddy buys new $ 2700 model and it requires a compressor swap (Which I thought they didn't do in LG and Samsungs) in the first month.
Hell, a few months back, before we started beating the bushes for a new HUGE LED TV and new frig , feeling like ours were getting old and it would be fun to treat ourselves, we were kind of excited --- NOW, between "THEY'RE ALL SHIT" TV stories in reviews and RDPers, and likewise the "THEY'RE ALL SHIT" refrigerator stories --- I'm hugging our old shit every morning, " I love you baby " don't fail me now. 😂

I'm starting to think, since all the TVs and Frigs are shit, just buy the cheapest ones with the fewest features with the cheapest extended warranty ( This is the market mindset where Costco wins) and be prepared to junk em when the warranty expires.
For TV's, unless you are an audio video snob, just go with the TCL Roku TV's. I have a couple that have never let me down.

hman442

Reaction score
We bought the LG French door, 4 door, window in door version 3 years ago. No actual problem till last week, the ice maker took a dump..Youtube guy shows you how they flex while dumping and only dump part of the load..what a picture right ? I ordered new part last night. But my actual warning, is look at the size of the "bucket" that holds the ice...we missed that, it's tiny, if you have anyone over, and making drinks, you're out of ice by 6:30. Our old fridge, good till 10:00 !

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
We bought the LG French door, 4 door, window in door version 3 years ago. No actual problem till last week, the ice maker took a dump..Youtube guy shows you how they flex while dumping and only dump part of the load..what a picture right ? I ordered new part last night. But my actual warning, is look at the size of the "bucket" that holds the ice...we missed that, it's tiny, if you have anyone over, and making drinks, you're out of ice by 6:30. Our old fridge, good till 10:00 !

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
that bucket is definitely not very big.. Didn't yours come with a bigger holder in the freezer? i know you have dump the the smaller bucket but at least you can stock up that way.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Best Buy is a pretty good option too. Their prices are pretty good and they do stock quite a few items.

Jay Dub

Reaction score
We used Appliance Outlet Group in Northridge. They sell B-stock higher-end appliances. We bought a Fisher Paykel gas cooktop and GE Monogram fridge. great prices and a knowledgeable staff.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My buddy works at Warehouse Discount Center, Jim Williams. He's a BIG time slalom skier and lives at Lake Nacimiento. Good dude, no bullshit and takes care of his customers.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

I was 2.5 in before my ice maker went south.
Its good for about 6 small glasses and its out of ice.
Its not getting through a party.

Taboma

Reaction score
Best Buy is a pretty good option too. Their prices are pretty good and they do stock quite a few items.

Yes Best Buy, Pacific Sales, same company but I think Pacific Sales focuses more on the higher end models.
Was in Best Buy this weekend, sales rep was chatting up their in house "Geek Squad" extended warranty as a reason to purchase from them in response to my inquiry.

I'd inquired because in the past, we've purchased a lot from Pacific Sales, prior to their merger with Best Buy, and battled till bloody with the seemingly endless line up of twats at Warrantech.
Best Buy salesman states emphatically, their extended warranties are using their in house "Good Guys" -- he claimed the 5th however when I brought up the fine print --- which in truth, there's volumes of if you peruse the various and I do mean various ( Depending on product or purchase date) T&C's. But the two biggies are --- Repairs are performed by Geek Squad OR 3rd party contractor ( AKA known as lowest bidder) and that AIG WarrantyGuard Inc. ( AWG) Is the Obligor and Administrator of the BB plans and numerous other companies as well.
Just like Costco changed from Square Trade to Allstate following horrible reviews and complaints for their extended TV warranties --- but Allstate is the parent company of Square Trade. :oops:

The games are clearly rigged :mad:

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Pacific Sales
==best buy, FYI. as also stated here:

Yes Best Buy, Pacific Sales, same company

2Cents on Samsung... there are certain models that have parts made of unobtainium. Even with the warranty there is no solution when a small plastic part breaks and it is not a stocked item. AND the repair depot (in New Jersey) is terrible and staff are astonishingly rude.

Last edited:

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
Have you tried to find a side by side that doesn’t come with an ice maker? Our water tastes like crap and we buy ice at the store when we need it. A French door version won’t work at our place since the fridge is next to a wall, the left door can only open 90 degrees and with the shelves on the door the drawers won’t pull out enough to get get goodies out of back of them. I just want a basic fridge with no frills. I don’t need a computer screen on the fridge door.
Sounds like you need to install a good 3 stage water filtration system on the water line going into your refrigerator.