WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

21 RC trailer cost?

Your ad here

Reaction score
What's the ball park price for a trailer for a 21' RC. Specifically a 21' Howard with an I/O. Thinking plain jane with tandem axles with disk brakes on 1, swing tongue, and guide bars on the rear. I called a few shops last week and all went to voicemail and haven't received any calls back. Or if anyone has one for sale or upgrading to a 3 axle I'd be interested in that.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
What's the ball park price for a trailer for a 21' RC. Specifically a 21' Howard with an I/O. Thinking plain jane with tandem axles with disk brakes on 1, swing tongue, and guide bars on the rear. I called a few shops last week and all went to voicemail and haven't received any calls back. Or if anyone has one for sale or upgrading to a 3 axle I'd be interested in that.

I got a quote from Adrenaline for 9k I think. A plain Jane from Extreme should be around 7. Although I heard steel has gone up quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenmann

Reaction score

Adrenaline started my trailer in September of last year. Its a v-drive, 2" x 6" rail, tandem axle with disc brakes, stainless fenders, American torque thrust wheels, extended rear steps, extended rear rails by 22" to match the cav plates, carpeted cat walks, swing toungue, and LED light package and it was bid at $12,800.

This was before still tripled in price to its current level.

Everybody else was slammed at the time so I couldn't really competitive bid it.

BTW, the trailer isn't done yet. The stainless fenders have proven to be a problem.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was figuring a plain Jane would be around $7500 but was hoping to hear $4500 lol. For $7500 I'd take a hard look at buying a set of plans and building my own trailer. For now I'll work on what I have and keep an eye out for a used one.

sintax

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was figuring a plain Jane would be around $7500 but was hoping to hear $4500 lol. For $7500 I'd take a hard look at buying a set of plans and building my own trailer. For now I'll work on what I have and keep an eye out for a used one.

If you find that time machine to get that $4500 price let me know, i want to grab 100 or so bitcoins at $200 a coin...

yea, shits just expensive these days. I actually just increased my trailer insurance from $4000 to $8000 for this exact reason.

farmo83

Reaction score

A family friend balked a 5K trailer price a good while ago. He decided to make his own. 6,500 later he had a trailer ready to go(granted I'm sure knowing him it was VERY well made).

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
Do you have an existing trailer and if so what kind of shape is the frame in? I re-built my Spectra original trailer, it was but ugly (dated) but the steel was solid. If you have a solid frame you may find someone that can referb rather than build brand new. I spent under 4K on mine but I did all the work, triple axels, stainless fenders new UFP actuator and disk breaks.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Do you have an existing trailer and if so what kind of shape is the frame in? I re-built my Spectra original trailer, it was but ugly (dated) but the steel was solid. If you have a solid frame you may find someone that can referb rather than build brand new. I spent under 4K on mine but I did all the work, triple axels, stainless fenders new UFP actuator and disk breaks.
Its an Ellis and assuming its a 1990, same year as the boat. The metal still looks solid but has a 3/4" crown in the frame rails above the axles. It needs some work and I'm kinda over it. Spent 4 weekends on and off messing with the fenders to get 205/75R14 tires to fit as the 205/65D14 tires were aged, expensive, and hard to source. Had to raise fenders but the boat sits low into the fenders rather than above... Still needs bunks, neck cut down and swing tongue installed (it had jet ski racks), welds ground out and rewelded, paint, guide bars on the rear, could use new fenders. After all that I still have the issue of it having 4-1/2" of ground clearance and can't get it over a curb... Figuring about $4K budget worth of work. If a new trailer was $6500 out the door I would go that route as it would be setup for a more common tire size and would be able to go over curbs. Not to mention it would only be a launch ramp trailer swap between the 2 instead of renting a trailer while I fix the current one. Sell the old one for a $1200 and be out $1300 but with a new trailer, if the rebuild cost $4K on the original one.

hallett21

Reaction score
If all I wanted was a paint job, could you sand blast and have in painted in a weeks time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 spectra20 v-drive

74 spectra20 v-drive
Reaction score
I saw a lot of those jet ski racks bow a lot of trailers, the steel is good looking with the nice radius but just not as strong and the U.S. steel from long ago, another China influence. My Dad built a lot of trailers in the 60's and early 70's and he said even just cutting the steel with a torch you could tell as the new stuff cracked and popped all over the place. looks like you are kind of stuck in the middle on this, if it wasn't bowed new axels and springs installed and you would be in business. Good luck with the project.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I saw a lot of those jet ski racks bow a lot of trailers, the steel is good looking with the nice radius but just not as strong and the U.S. steel from long ago, another China influence. My Dad built a lot of trailers in the 60's and early 70's and he said even just cutting the steel with a torch you could tell as the new stuff cracked and popped all over the place. looks like you are kind of stuck in the middle on this, if it wasn't bowed new axels and springs installed and you would be in business. Good luck with the project.
The tongue is actually straight. It's bowed above the middle mount for the leaf springs and Ellis torched a hole in the rail for electrical in that spot. I'm sure its fine but annoys me since I'm a contractor and notice stuff like that. Its been hard trying to win with this thing.