WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Your crappiest car?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
What was the shittiest car you ever had?

Thinking back over the various vehicles, I would have say is was a 63 VW bus. I sure wish I had it now, though. It was downright dangerous. But I loved driving it around. Bought it for $45. Put in a rebuilt engine. It had cut out fenders and was Baja style. Not much interior. We bolted in a few seats from a later model junk yard bus. It popped out of gear, so you had to hold it in gear or tie the bungie cord on the shifter. Slow as heck. But all my college friends piled in and we cruised from party to party in it.

In close second place was a 79 VW Scirocco. It often had mechanical problems, but was a hoot to cruise around. It was the first car I had with a pull up parking brake.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
A 95 GMC 1500 extra cab in Z-71 trim.
It was a pile of shot just like Victor GMC in Corona was.
They must have been because neither exist today😂

RVR2SNO

Reaction score
My 2008 F-250 with the 6.4. Was junk! Check engine gremlins, blew the turbo - nasty cab off repair, brakes, rotors, the truck was awful.

Rondog4405

Reaction score
Crappiest was my first car. It was a 62 vw bug. Looked like shit..drove like shit. On the drive home from buying it I came to a stop..the brakes went out and rear ended a car. On impact the windshield flew off the bug onto the car I hit. I die laughing about still . 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
83 Toyota pickup 4x4. I loved this truck I personalized a bit but gosh dang the thing would always break down.

nowski

Reaction score
What was the shittiest car you ever had?

Thinking back over the various vehicles, I would have say is was a 63 VW bus. I sure wish I had it now, though. It was downright dangerous. But I loved driving it around. Bought it for $45. Put in a rebuilt engine. It had cut out fenders and was Baja style. Not much interior. We bolted in a few seats from a later model junk yard bus. It popped out of gear, so you had to hold it in gear or tie the bungie cord on the shifter. Slow as heck. But all my college friends piled in and we cruised from party to party in it.

In close second place was a 79 VW Scirocco. It often had mechanical problems, but was a hoot to cruise around. It was the first car I had with a pull up parking brake.

I had a 1982 VW Scirocco that was my first front wheel drive car. It wasn't the shittiest car I've owned but it was an easy target for thieves. I had more stereo's (Blaupunkt) stolen from that car that I can count on one hand, frickin thieves...

Since it was front wheel drive I'd lock up the rears and drag them, you'd have a lengthy sounding skid that seemed never ending. If and when I'd get cutoff by some idiot on the road I'd follow them to the next stop or red light and pull up that parking break and drag the rear wheels. Those screeching tires would scare the shit out said idiot thinking he's about to get rear-ended, their reactions were priceless...

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
87 Ford F-250 POS new and became a lemon law suit , got all my $ back and 5k for my troubles

badgas

Reaction score
1995 Chrysler Cirrus Green : (

Not only the ugliest car on the planet but the least reliable POS ever. Also had zero power. I have no idea what I was thinking and my wife still laughs about me bring that pile of crap home. I picked up a job in sales and needed a sedan so I sold my 2 door XJ sport ( big mistake ) and got the cirrus from a friend who was selling them.

As a 27 year old who had a 79 K5 blazer, 1985 GTI and then an XJ 2 door as my first 10 years of driving I kept saying how the hell did you end up with this thing ?

iu-1.jpeg

lbhsbz

Reaction score
1979 Plymouth horizon TC3...had a carbureted VW engine in it. Every few weeks it would develop this flat spot from idle to WOT because the carb would fall off. I kept the appropriate tools in the car to tighten it back up on the side of the road. I finally got smart and glued the fucking thing on with yellow gorilla snot and it stayed put until I sold it 6 months later.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
1989 Chevy C3500 dually with a 454 that only made 230 hp and 385 ft/lbs. torque - 3 engines, 2 transmissions, bad body welds that creaked and groaned when the body flexed on rough roads or turns - it was finally bought back by GM and was on the used car lot 2 days later.

welldigger00

Reaction score
Four different 6.0h-no Ford work trucks. One of them Cab off three times and two engines, another one cab off twice before 25k miles. Sad really, in the mid 2000’s, they were the only realistic 550 4x4 with a live front axle, but udder dog shit engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gelcoater

Reaction score
Owned a mid-70's CJ-5 with an undetermined small block chevy. What a fun ride. When it ran. Learned a lot about fixing vehicles with that Jeep.

Sure would like to have it right now.
So did I👍
Fun as hell. My engine came from a Monte Carlo, the heads were done by the speed shop that used to be on Main Street, Elsinore back in the day.
Flattened the cam after the heads so installed the GM L78 cam shaft number 3896962. I can’t explain why I can’t remember what I had for lunch but can remember the part number of a camshaft I ran 33 years ago😂

For more fun, my parents had this thing I had for a while also.
B3AC8A35-DE54-4CD0-A7C4-9F584168EDC8.png
6BDEFC37-7101-4314-AAF0-8B66D691FE96.png

On the right road, on the right day....a glimps of sunlight under the front tires on a hard leave😎

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
So did I👍
Fun as hell. My engine came from a Monte Carlo, the heads were done by the speed shop that used to be on Main Street, Elsinore back in the day.
Flattened the cam after the heads so installed the GM L78 cam shaft number 3896962. I can’t explain why I can’t remember what I had for lunch but can remember the part number of a camshaft I ran 33 years ago😂

For more fun, my parents had this thing I had for a while also. View attachment 995509 View attachment 995510

On the right road, on the right day....a glimps of sunlight under the front tires on a hard leave😎

That's awesome. We ran the numbers on the engine in mine, the block was from the late 50's and the heads from the early 60's. Had a Rochester 2bbl. I slapped a Holley two barrel on it, didn't make it run any better. :D

Someone had dropped a T-18 transmission in it, but it still had the crappy corporate 20 rear diff, I had to change an axle or two.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
‘95 civic coupe. I wanted to mess around with an import and have a commuter. What a pile of shit. Sold it a few months later. Went back GM and German.
Next biggest pile of shit was a ‘15 Audi A4. Hated that thing. 45000 miles on the cloak and it needed a top end rebuild. Covered under warranty and traded it once it was fixed.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
2004 Chevy 1500. It was at the dealer more than it was out. Motor finally grenaded at 11k miles and I left it at the dealer never to see it again. Fuck that thing was a POS.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
82 RX7. Leaked a ton of oil nonstop. Bought it for 500, sold it for a 1000 lol...

PlanB

Reaction score
Close call between a 03 Excursion with the 6.0 that we had lemon lawed and a 2010 VW TDI Jetta. The Jetta was an electrical nightmare. Sold it after it ruined a trip to Sedona. Will never own another VW product.

Last edited:

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
Probably my first car because of how ugly it was but never left me stranded.
1972 AMC Hornet 4 door, green. I was in the Air Force and bought this from another guy on the base. The key had broken off in the ignition so it was easy to start, it was originally from New York and was a complete rust bucket, but the 8 track worked and it came with a pillow case full of music.

Mototrig

Reaction score
My car wasn't crappy like broke down all the time, It was crappy like dork mobile guaranteed NOT to get laid or win any street races agianst a 4-cilinder Jimmy.
ads23.jpg

1984 Chevy Celebrity
Mine looked NOTHING like the one pictured above. Mine was navy blue with rattlecan black on the front from an accident, the stereo was garbage and barely loud enough to drown out the wind from the windows being down due to no AC, had no headliner so your head or hands burned from the summer heat, the rear shocks were weak so the rear oscillated like uncle Buck's Mercury Marquis driving down the road, it was a 2.3l v6 that barely hit 65 floored ......oh but the factory simulated wire wheel hub caps were lock bolted on so nobody could steel them. Unfortunately for me they were VERY easy to strip so I had to drill out the 2 front ones to do a brake job.

It always ran though......like a tank.

So I sold it for $500 in 1996 and bought an '89 foxbody 😉

Last edited:

nameisbond

Reaction score
I bought a used 1986 Jaguar XJ6 in 1995. It broke down almost every time I drove it. Looked good though.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
1984 VW GTI. Was super fun to drive through.
Runners up for worst: 1980 VW Rabbit, 1993 RX-7 (son's), 2018 Focus ST (son's-lemon law'd), 1985 BMW 535i

Best: 2016 Audi S4, 1996 Ford E-150, 1999 Expedition and believe it or not our current 2009 F-250 with the dreaded 6.4

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
1984 fully caged CRX rally car with built suspension.

Honestly it was not a bad car it just looked horrible. It cost me nothing other than gas, and repairing self inflicted damage for the 18 months I had it.

I used most of Eastvale as my personal weekend rally courses when they were grading and building it.

Was great for taking out cones in the Fastrack lanes.

5F00DFB1-E020-45A1-8495-FC30F7ABF9DF.png
A9609999-2486-407D-94F0-A177A17C3813.png

Last edited:

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
One day my mom says she is going to go look for a new car. This is 1979. She says "maybe a Mustang." I can't go with her but I told her simply "just don't buy a 4 cylinder". Sure enough she comes home with an emerald green 4 banger with a tan interior. Oh great.
The most underpowered car on the road also rattled like crazy, had roll up window cranks that kept stripping, and "leather" seats that weren't, were all minor compared to how the oil leak in the back of the motor ended up running down onto the exhaust and left the car in a cloud of smoke at every stop. I think that was about 50K miles. What a POS. When the cat quit at 88K she traded it in on a Lexus.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
1985 Honda CRX HF. One problem after another - engine, clutch, CV axles, carburetor rebuild. Always overheating up a grade. Being a 5-speed and earning money delivering pizza were the only good things about it. I think I’m still bitter about that POS eating my checkbook away. Lol. Sold it in 1995 to buy a 1971 Chevelle (which I still own).

rrrr

Reaction score
My 2008 F-250 with the 6.4. Was junk! Check engine gremlins, blew the turbo - nasty cab off repair, brakes, rotors, the truck was awful.

I owned one of those, bought it new. F-250 4X4 King Ranch model. Fuel mileage...9.5 to 10.5, uphill, downhill, loaded, unloaded. Regen ran constantly.

I kept it seven months and sold it for a $7,500 loss. It was a total POS, and I decided to ditch the truck before something expensive happened.

Last edited:

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm gonna seem like a complete entitled white privilege POS but our purchased new 2016 Range Rover Sport (either 16 or 17) Holy crap that thing was junk. Burned oil, rattled, roof rail inserts blew off on highway, rear window wouldn't ever roll up all the way even after five visits to dealer, orange peel soft paint, infotainment screen coating all peeled off and more. Keep in mind this was all within six months! I'm super meticulous about taking care of my stuff too. My 76 Ford pickup that was my first car was a far better vehicle.

Our Subaru WRX was a complete piece of shit too, but since the cost was much less than the Rover it gets second place. Kept five months and traded it in. Burned a qt of oil every month. No joke!!! Had 10 or 12 check engine lights in the five months we owned it and all for different issues. Had to be either a Monday or Friday car. Haha.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Worst shitbox...Damn, tuff call.
86 Sentra wagon (the blue box).................. first car with a license. Wrapped it around a pole.
2007 F550 lariat..................................................6 leaker, need I say more?
89 F350 CC DRW IDI diesel............................red on red, leaked everything, loose crossmember rivets, injector pump issues....

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
I'm gonna seem like a complete entitled white privilege POS but our purchased new 2016 Range Rover Sport (either 16 or 17) Holy crap that thing was junk. Burned oil, rattled, roof rail inserts blew off on highway, rear window wouldn't ever roll up all the way even after five visits to dealer, orange peel soft paint, infotainment screen coating all peeled off and more. Keep in mind this was all within six months! I'm super meticulous about taking care of my stuff too. My 76 Ford pickup that was my first car was a far better vehicle.

Our Subaru WRX was a complete piece of shit too, but since the cost was much less than the Rover it gets second place. Kept five months and traded it in. Burned a qt of oil every month. No joke!!! Had 10 or 12 check engine lights in the five months we owned it and all for different issues. Had to be either a Monday or Friday car. Haha.

Everyone here would have told you the Range Rover would be the worst car purchase in your life had you consulted us pre-purchase. :)

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
monkeyswrench said:
89 F350 CC DRW IDI diesel............................red on red, leaked everything, loose crossmember rivets, injector pump issues....

But it could tow 300,000 lbs....

Quicksilver

Reaction score
My worst car, mostly due to the previous owner, was a 1967 Datsun Roadster with the 1600 engine. It was a complete basket case, literally, as the previous owner had disassembled the car to restore it. He had rebuilt the engine and reinstalled it in the car, but was lost as to why it was smoking so bad. Turns out the distributor had a lubrication line off the block and he had hooked that to the vacuum lines on the carbs. I fixed all that but the rear main seal leaked so much oil I only had to change the oil filter when it was due. I eventually fixed all the gremlins and had a car that just needed paint and interior. I sold it that way to someone who had the funds to fully finish it, so hopefully it got some love. It was my worst car but I had so many good times with it.

mothershipper

Reaction score
My current company van is the biggest piece iv'e driven - not owned. 2015 ford transit. Transmission went at 45k, and the rest of this shitbox is slowly but surly breaking apart. I tell all my friends looking for fleet vans to find something different.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Everyone here would have told you the Range Rover would be the worst car purchase in your life had you consulted us pre-purchase. :)

Thats pretty much true about any question asked here. ;)

We're not happy until your not happy.

Oh and for us 1987 MBZ 300D. Think E car because that's what it was with the 3.0 6 cyl TD. Made good power but everything else on the car broke. I think the dash was out like 4 times. NEVER AGAIN unless leased. Owned it way to many years.

Also my 2018 Cummins Ram Dave Smith Idaho purchase project is starting to peg the fuck you meter also.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
07 navigator ultimate. Typical Ford junk. 3v crap motor. Even after throwing a whole set of new heads, all oem parts, melling hvhp oil pump, etc it still ran like garbage. I’ll never own another Ford.
1D1FCCD7-1608-4972-9775-DC8D913464E1.jpeg
18F3CD56-227A-4182-8E99-2485A6DFB12A.jpeg

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
07 navigator ultimate. Typical Ford junk. 3v crap motor. Even after throwing a whole set of new heads, all oem parts, melling hvhp oil pump, etc it still ran like garbage. I’ll never own another Ford. View attachment 995560 View attachment 995561
3v's definitely screwed some people. In my case, it was the 6.0.
Was diehard Ford guy, lots of Fords...only have my 2v Excursion left...and I'd trade it for an Ls powered Sub or Tahoe.

colenighthawk

Reaction score
Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, what a piece of shit, always overheating, one problem after another, until one day, I was driving on the freeway, smelled smoke popped the hood and the piece of shit was on fire. Left it there and walked away. Lol

Last edited:

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
3v's definitely screwed some people. In my case, it was the 6.0.
Was diehard Ford guy, lots of Fords...only have my 2v Excursion left...and I'd trade it for an Ls powered Sub or Tahoe.

i sold my 2v 5.4 expedition for that grey pile of junk. The 2v is a great motor. Also had the 4r100 transmission. Should’ve never sold it.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
96 Volvo. Had 3 volvos b/t 1982-1996. 96 was the last and final V forever... Power train was okay but pretty much everything else failed on that car.. from ignition switch to premature light bulb failures (multiple), door hinges, wheel bearings, lock relays.... incredible POS