WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How Much Fuel $ Spent in Past Week in Havasu ...... Too Soon?

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
So I figure everyone's just about home and settling in relaxing and checking in on RDP after a bunch of time on the river these past 3-10 days. I hadn't been to DS in 15 years and went to Cat Fest a week ago. I ended up in the channel beached just taking it all in and couldn't help but wonder about all the fuel that must've been bought in that tiny town from 4/16 to today! How they don't run out amazes me.

I gotta ask fellas.... and I know its too soon to think about but everybody had a blast so how much did you spend in fuel dollars? Include your travel RT if you came from outside areas if you like but clarify that if you do. Desert Storm fair and pics displayed some twin 1550 Cats like Bananas and I can't imagine what they burnt through, lol.

JFMFG

Reaction score
Chino ca about 700 truck and boat

Reactions: DWC

Happy Smitty

Reaction score
$350 drive out from Phx, boating Friday and Saturday windsor to springs, seamboat, channel, on both days. drive back to phx. I spent more $ on meals and drink.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Filled it but used about $5 before this. Gave my marina launch pass to somebody in line heading back home.
20210423_181716.jpg

River Runnin

Reaction score
Did it inhale something, or is the damage from eating itself? I hope the cylinder is salvageable. Bummer of a way to start out.
I'd think if He's one of them Big Boys! .... It probably happened on start-up! ..🤔.. Can one of those even fire up fer $5 bucks?? :)

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
So I figure everyone's just about home and settling in relaxing and checking in on RDP after a bunch of time on the river these past 3-10 days. I hadn't been to DS in 15 years and went to Cat Fest a week ago. I ended up in the channel beached just taking it all in and couldn't help but wonder about all the fuel that must've been bought in that tiny town from 4/16 to today! How they don't run out amazes me.

I gotta ask fellas.... and I know its too soon to think about but everybody had a blast so how much did you spend in fuel dollars? Include your travel RT if you came from outside areas if you like but clarify that if you do. Desert Storm fair and pics displayed some twin 1550 Cats like Bananas and I can't imagine what they burnt through, lol.

Crit Running Man in Parker sells Race 91, no ethanol. Best pump gas you can find for a boat. And cheap, too. About $3.65 a gallon. (Cheap if you're from California that is!)

We put about $150 in gas in (it was half full from two weeks ago) and burned about half to 2/3rds of a tank watching the DS poker run and then spending the rest of the weekend skiing.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
About $1700 (family of 4) rental house, marina slip, fuel, dine out/groceries

Equals a Day and a half O/T which I have 2 days for USC graduation standby Bomb team in 2 weeks.
All good 👍
Ever wonder why people bitch about cop salaries?

F' me, you know what kind of laws I have to break to bring in that kind of coin in a day and a half?
😂

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
125 gallons total over 2 weeks. Poker run was the biggest drain. $300 in R/t Air, 120 in rental car, and about 100$ in gas for the Tahoe. I spent more than I planned the last two weeks but had fun.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Did it inhale something, or is the damage from eating itself? I hope the cylinder is salvageable. Bummer of a way to start out.
Nothing inhaled. Valves still look good. I think it broke a ring land area and bounced around awhile. it will need to be bored out. May look at some other options to replace it with, maybe a 525.

Icky

Reaction score
Crit Running Man in Parker sells Race 91, no ethanol. Best pump gas you can find for a boat. And cheap, too. About $3.65 a gallon. (Cheap if you're from California that is!)

We put about $150 in gas in (it was half full from two weeks ago) and burned about half to 2/3rds of a tank watching the DS poker run and then spending the rest of the weekend skiing.
I've noticed since I've started using that place I have no water to siphon out of my tanks at the start of the season, whereas before I would get rid of about 3 gallons per side before it looked clear.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've noticed since I've started using that place I have no water to siphon out of my tanks at the start of the season, whereas before I would get rid of about 3 gallons per side before it looked clear.
I don't know how true it was, but I read in a car restorer deal that ethanol "holds moisture". I drained a car's tank, it had been sitting two years. The fluid came out looking like a tequila sunrise. Three very distinct colors, light/pale yellow, orangish and a red. The yellow was on the bottom, obviously more water than anything. This was a car stored indoors, in relatively low humidity.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I don't know how true it was, but I read in a car restorer deal that ethanol "holds moisture". I drained a car's tank, it had been sitting two years. The fluid came out looking like a tequila sunrise. Three very distinct colors, light/pale yellow, orangish and a red. The yellow was on the bottom, obviously more water than anything. This was a car stored indoors, in relatively low humidity.

Yea the ethanol fuel absorbs moisture.

I would say 3 gallons of water per tank per season is another issue.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The wind ruined it all, burned 50 ish gallons in the boat, but I’m sure my trip to and from Winslow this weekend i burned 12-13000 gallons of diesel, 🚂

Last edited:

Icky

Reaction score
Yea the ethanol fuel absorbs moisture.

I would say 3 gallons of water per tank per season is another issue.
Not 3 gallons of water, 3 gallons of ugly fuel after sitting in storage all winter. That's the difference between filling up at terribles and the running man in parker.

Last edited:

Backlash

Reaction score
Ever wonder why people bitch about cop salaries?

F' me, you know what kind of laws I have to break to bring in that kind of coin in a day and a half?
😂

Just remember what he does for a living and ask yourself if you'd be willing to do the same thing for that chump change. I dont have the balls to put on that particular uniform and deal with the responsibilities he has to shoulder. In my opinion, he's underpaid for what he does. 😉

Didn't get out to the river, so didn't spend any money on gas for the boat. 😢

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score
Not 3 gallons of water, 3 gallons of ugly fuel after sitting in storage all winter. That's the difference between filling up at terribles and the running man in parker.

Gotcha.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Just remember what he does for a living and ask yourself if you'd be willing to do the same thing for that chump change. I dont have the balls to put on that particular uniform and deal with the responsibilities he has to shoulder. In my opinion, he's underpaid for what he does. 😉

Honestly, up until the past couple years, I would have loved his job. Well, the adrenaline junky portion. The sad part is, the 98% of the time dealing with political BS, and now the anti-cop pricks that you're not allowed to thump. That's the sad thing...the portion of the job that is thought of mostly as the dangerous part, the bomb stuff, wouldn't be too bad. The the risking your life, for a populace and even command that doesn't appreciate you? Nope, that's the part where I feel all cops are under paid.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

Thanks
I think the cost of living is the relative correlation.
Santa Clarita was the last place imho guys in this job could live a middle class life.
Now with homes in the $900’s + up there, not sure where the new guys will buy homes.
Sad

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Thanks
I think the cost of living is the relative correlation.
Santa Clarita was the last place imho guys in this job could live a middle class life.
Now with homes in the $900’s + up there, not sure where the new guys will buy homes.
Sad
We used to call that "CopLand", like the movie. The new guys are in trouble from that respect. I would think, in general, you wouldn't want to live where you work. Getting to the point though, where they will have to commute from other states.
Had a local that stayed in an apartment for his shifts, then in Az at his house...that had to be 20+ years ago. Can see that becoming more common.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Back when Photoglue had that big Fountain, he told they'd burn $1500 in fuel for the weekend.

LowRiver2

Reaction score
We used to call that "CopLand", like the movie. The new guys are in trouble from that respect. I would think, in general, you wouldn't want to live where you work. Getting to the point though, where they will have to commute from other states.
Had a local that stayed in an apartment for his shifts, then in Az at his house...that had to be 20+ years ago. Can see that becoming more common.
It still is Cop Land
Eastvale is as well

Beaumont /Banning are doable but like you said, do a 3/12 shift and sleep at the station for LA guys .
No thanks

Fellow tech sold his Valencia home for $950k and is renting for a year , then off to Idaho
Owed $85 on it, paid $250 20 years ago.
Saw neighbor house sell for $900 without a pool , 4 back ups.
He sold to one of those buyers.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I don’t wanna get into how much $$, etc....cuz that is rude.

But I was curious how many hours of OT does the typical LA cop get per year? Fireman too?

It has to be a lot.

I always hear about the OT but was curious how many hours. That shit adds up quick.

It still is Cop Land
Eastvale is as well

Beaumont /Banning are doable but like you said, do a 3/12 shift and sleep at the station for LA guys .
No thanks

Fellow tech sold his Valencia home for $950k and is renting for a year , then off to Idaho
Owed $85 on it, paid $250 20 years ago.
Saw neighbor house sell for $900 without a pool , 4 back ups.
He sold to one of those buyers.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I lost track. Lol

I think I spent $400 on the boat and maybe $450 on the truck. There was horrible winds going home

LargeOrangeFont

Reaction score

But I was curious how many hours of OT does the typical LA cop get per year? Fireman too?

It has to be a lot.

I always hear about the OT but was curious how many hours. That shit adds up quick.

All of that is public knowledge.. you can go look it up.

Hammer

Reaction score
$4.20 a gallon for non ethanol 91 at Campell Cove. I spent $350.00 in boat fuel and only used maybe an 1/8 of a tank LOL. Diesel was $3.95 a gallon in Santa Clarita- Filled up before I left. Probably spend $250.00 in diesel there and back. After I filled the boat up I decided to just not look at my bank account during the trip. Was great to be on the water for the first trip of the year. I decided gas prices aren't going to stop the family from enjoying summer.:cool:

MK1MOD0

Reaction score

Absolutely true. It’s Hydroscopic, which means it absorbs water. Brake fluid does the same. That’s what every 5 years or so, it’s recommended to flush your brake fluid.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score

It has to be a lot.

It depends on the agency and the individual cop/fireman. for cops there is forced OT that includes patrol shifts and court appearances. There is also voluntary OT to be had at many agencies. When I was in the mix I probably worked 10-12 hours per week of OT that I could not avoid. In some assignments such as narcotics it was more like 20-30 hours per week that I could not avoid. In patrol I worked enough to avoid being forced. Court is the wild card as you can't control that.

LowRiver2

Reaction score

It has to be a lot.

Transparent Ca. Will give you a ballpark.
The big “assumption” error in those numbers is the pension/ contributions factor that isn’t
Clearly defined as most agencies have different contribution plans:
Not saying the employee isn’t getting that “pay”, but they are not “grossing” that yearly.
Example: employee A makes $300k on that site, when in reality employee makes $185 gross and the rest is 457/ pension contributions.

We can all scoff at the numbers of that site, but when cost of living and true take home numbers are involved, it’s middle class , maybe upper middle class (not sure what that is) , pay at best in so cal .

I don’t argue what I make and I don’t complain.
I’d rather be paid less in a lower tax bracket , lol.

Ca. First responders do not get Soc. Sec. contributions they made in the private sector , in retirement. I’ve worked off duty jobs for 25 years, always 1099’d, and always had money go into Soc Sec.
Is my pension good? Yes, but is it right that I paid into a system that by law I can’t benefit from?
I’d say no, but I did it to earn money, so I knew what I was getting into.
I won’t argue what I make here. Guys in my dept. hired in the last 8 years are making what I made in 95’, and have lower maxed pensions, so there is “reform” in that arena.
Again, just passing on objective info., I’ve argued with inmates over my pay in the past and I’m not doing it today.
Like politics, the way to change benefits and pay is at the ballot box.

Some guys don’t do voluntary O/T.
Our Department went without cash O/T (comp time only), for 9 months last year.
We also deferred two contract raises for 18 months , right before the city got earmarked a billion dollars to fill their gaps.
LAFD , DWP and us tried to do the right thing for the city, only to have it smacked in our faces.
The guys retiring in that time frame are the ones that got screwed as they are making less than their contract agreements stipulated.
About 3% for our shop.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Truck $100. To get to DS
Truck $100. To get home
Boat $60. For two days on the water and it’s still full🤷🏻‍♂️

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Back when Photoglue had that big Fountain, he told they'd burn $1500 in fuel for the weekend.
Back when gas was outrageously priced at $1.69 per 9/10........but you know how us "car salesmen" talk😉😁
My boat was full already so I haven't spent a dime .