WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to hire people... wtf

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Without context no one can truly say they "know" anything about "running a business", because every single industry and profession takes unique skillsets and in some cases talent.

Don't be dicks to each other, unless you are in the EXACT same profession or industry IN the same state/city. We all know the major population centers are like their own planet, they are so far removed from the "fly over" states.

Shit the prices I charge in SB are unfathomable to people who live in Redding or Bakersfield just in my own state.

Point to the OP, you can't find talented mechanics or fabricators ANYWHERE.

guest hs

Reaction score
Any remote positions? My wife could use a job she has an HR background, benefits and payroll.

HBCraig

Reaction score
My business has 85 open positions. Hourly positions starting at $15. All different types of work and shifts. We don’t have the application flow to fill them. People in this pay range don’t want to work. This unemployment bullshit needs to be cut off. God damn government tit. There are plenty of jobs out there.

For the people on here with available jobs and trying to hire, what are you experiencing?

No real issue with higher level salaried positions. We’ve picked up a few great hires on that level.
I have a customer in the demolition business ans he can't find anyone either. I told him we cam make millions if he can televise his interviews. The stories he tells me....... Holy shit

floatn turd

Reaction score
I'm looking for work.
I live in the Inland Empire area (CA) but would gladly move to AZ or NV for the right position.
I have a job now but it's a dead end and need to make more money.

Looking for work in your mid 40's sucks!

badgas

Reaction score
We are a small company and most make $40+/hr + benefits. Have a couple that have not worked since the beginning of the year because there happy as shit on the enhanced UE benefits. Each making $2800 a month UE plus stimulus checks. Looking for there replacements now.

What type of business ?

Are these all labor positions ?

Hypnautic

Reaction score
I’ve had a open req for over a year. Nationwide mortgage lender.

Hiring jr processors, sr processors, UW, closers, funders, etc... remote positions too. LO’s and Origination teams looking to start new branch’s too.

I will not hire anyone that has been on UE for the past year. There have been to many opportunities to work. I made that decision when during one interview when the applicant told me why they started looking for a job now. Hard pass..

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
If anyone is looking for medical billing, EMR, RCM, software dev, PM work send me an IM.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
Do you have a business and employees? With that comment I’m assuming the answer is no. There are all different levels needed in a business. What I started and continue to operate provides jobs for people starting out all the way up to long term careers. That’s a lot of people/families.

You’re free to start your own business and pay people more than they’re experience justifies. Or have higher talent in a position they are overqualified for which doesn’t end well either. But let us know how it goes if you do.

Actually, yes...I do have my own business. But no, I don't have any employees. I do however enlist people that are better at what they do than I am and pay them what I would like to make. I've been happy with the value I get.

I've worked for a company for 20 years who used every angle possible to reduce the cost of "entry level employees"....and all they do is fuck up, because while minimum wage might be enough to make someone show up for work, it isn't enough to make anyone give 2 fucks about what they're doing. For 20 years, I'm the one that gets the earful every time that happens, even though I have no control over the "workforce" that we hire. Every time I bring it up to management...I get the "what do you expect for minimum wage?" answer...to which I reply...maybe offer higher pay to attract a better employee. One fuckup in pulling an order involves a shipping credit, paying return shipping, receiving said return, handing it to another minimum wage idiot who will rebox and re-label it wrong, causing the whole thing to happen again and cost the company 2 days of this fucktard's pay. If we were to pay $10 better per hour, that scenario wouldn't happen multiple times daily and the company would save thousands per week....probably hundreds of thousands per week, at the expense of hundreds per week.

You get what you pay for.

I laugh at the "I can't find anyone worth a shit to work for me for what I'm willing to pay". Pay more, attract better people. If you, as a business owner can't afford it...then raise your prices. The consumers will go away, the customer and clients will stay and appreciate the added value you are able to offer them.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Actually, yes...I do have my own business. But no, I don't have any employees. I do however enlist people that are better at what they do than I am and pay them what I would like to make. I've been happy with the value I get.

I've worked for a company for 20 years who used every angle possible to reduce the cost of "entry level employees"....and all they do is fuck up, because while minimum wage might be enough to make someone show up for work, it isn't enough to make anyone give 2 fucks about what they're doing. For 20 years, I'm the one that gets the earful every time that happens, even though I have no control over the "workforce" that we hire. Every time I bring it up to management...I get the "what do you expect for minimum wage?" answer...to which I reply...maybe offer higher pay to attract a better employee. One fuckup in pulling an order involves a shipping credit, paying return shipping, receiving said return, handing it to another minimum wage idiot who will rebox and re-label it wrong, causing the whole thing to happen again and cost the company 2 days of this fucktard's pay. If we were to pay $10 better per hour, that scenario wouldn't happen multiple times daily and the company would save thousands per week....probably hundreds of thousands per week, at the expense of hundreds per week.

I laugh at the "I can't find anyone worth a shit to work for me for what I'm willing to pay". Pay more, attract better people. If you, as a business owner can't afford it...then raise your prices. The consumers will go away, the customer and clients will stay and appreciate the added value you are able to offer them.

When you sign their paycheck come report back. And when you have hundreds come report back. I’ve never known anyone with employees who has a position that differs too much from mine. I’ve known lots of employees who have a similar mindset to you- they don’t sign the checks... I have a bit of experience and have found what works and what doesn’t. I’ve built two companies from literally zero. Both are still going and have employees.

Last edited:

WYRD

Reaction score
I'm looking for work.
I live in the Inland Empire area (CA) but would gladly move to AZ or NV for the right position.
I have a job now but it's a dead end and need to make more money.

Looking for work in your mid 40's sucks!
What's your skillset?

motormonkey

Reaction score
The funniest thing I ever heard was
" The boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I shit on company time"
Made me laugh as that guy would dissappear for an hour to the bathroom.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Why don’t you guys post
Position
Hours available
Pay
Benefits
Location.

And people can pass along the info.

I know of a guy looking for a career who lives in lake Elsinore. Ex Marine very hard worker, learns quickly and good morals. He makes $30hr now but needs more. With growth opportunities.

Icky

Reaction score

This doesn't necessarily apply to every field of work. Anyone worth hiring in the construction field, is already working, and to pay them more means paying them more then my guys that are better then them. I have yet to meet someone better than our guys that wasn't raised by this company.

As a union company, raising our prices would make it harder to be competitive against non union companies, which is already a pain in the ass. A few dollars an hour x 1000s of hours makes a big difference when bidding work. While I don't sign the checks, I started here 21 years ago as an apprentice, and now bang on a keyboard all day.

Icky

Reaction score
The funniest thing I ever heard was
" The boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I shit on company time"
Made me laugh as that guy would dissappear for an hour to the bathroom.
This one
tenor.gif

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you guys post
Position
Hours available
Pay
Benefits
Location.

I know of a guy looking for a career who lives in lake Elsinore. Ex Marine very hard worker, learns quickly and good morals. He makes $30hr now but needs more. With growth opportunities.

@ $30.00 per hour, and needs more? He is living in the Wrong area OR Living above his means.

OR!!

BOTH!!o_O

Runs2rch

Reaction score
I would post an ad pre-covid, and get say 30-40 people wanting jobs, now it's like may be 1 or 2. $20-$25 per hour to ride around taking photos of cheating husbands and wives. I've slowed advertising way down, as I don't have the help to handle the work. Hopefully the free money stops soon.
When can I start?!

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
That’s what people don’t understand.

If you bring value to a business, then you’re worth the high cost of labor. And the company will be loyal to you, because they want you to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don’t know if I fully agree with that statement. A lot of large businesses today feel that their employees are simply a commodity that can be replaced at the drop of a hat for a less expensive person. I have personal experience of this first hand. Unfortunately for the few companies that have tried to replace me they have all ended up having to hire 2 or 3 people to replace my output so it backfired on them! So now they are paying the price of not retaining valued employees. That will eventually bankrupt most companies!

I can agree that the companies that do value their dedicated staff as a vital part of their operation instead of being a financial liability are the companies that will thrive today and in the future. The companies with revolving doors will suffer with the costs of unending training of low skilled employees and their eventual departures for better paying positions.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
@ $30.00 per hour, and needs more? He is living in the Wrong area OR Living above his means.

OR!!

BOTH!!o_O
Lake Elsinore isn’t very nice. And $30hr isn’t very much.
That’s only 62k a year. Try buying a decent house and a decent car for that income. After living expenses you are broke and not saving for retirement and sure as shit don’t have a boat.

What’s wrong with a hard worker trying to earn a better living?

Your ad here

Reaction score
I have an HR / recruiter handling it. It’s been several years since I was looking at resumes or applications. My advice is keep it simple. Nothing “fancy”. To the point on one page.

Did you follow up? Or were you waiting on a call? There were times I would wait for the person to call in to check the status. It implied they wanted the job. This was 7+ years ago which was very different. Either way, don’t wait for the call. Find out if they want you or not.
I would follow up in the beginning but later on didn't. The follow up calls were all the same. Would call and ask if they had any updates and I would get "it's been submitted to HR, they'll give you a call" then a hang up. Every single time. Or I would get a field superintendents number, call them but wouldn't pick up the call and I leave a voicemail. No call back. Most of these companies clearly have help wanted ads but no one is interested in hiring, even though they complain about needing help. Figured if they really need help they will call me and I wouldn't be wasting time on these other companies that are not serious about hiring.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I’ve tried paying guys all the way up to $35. Guys seem to flame out 6 months to a year.

I need to train someone from the ground up. So they can get good enough and go out on their own lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BINGO. It’s very hard to get skilled guys and VERY expensive.....They know their worth. We are known to pay very well so we get a lot of the industry talent coming through the doors. Even then I’m struggling to fill needed spots. And am having to take green guys and train them from the ground up.

I would say 80% of the resumes I see are either non responsive or do respond but never show up to the interview.

I’m pushing my kids heavily to get into the trades.

Someone who’s willing to work and is good with people will be able to live a VERY good life.

Gelcoater

Reaction score
My business has 85 open positions. Hourly positions starting at $15. All different types of work and shifts. We don’t have the application flow to fill them. People in this pay range don’t want to work. This unemployment bullshit needs to be cut off. God damn government tit. There are plenty of jobs out there.

For the people on here with available jobs and trying to hire, what are you experiencing?

No real issue with higher level salaried positions. We’ve picked up a few great hires on that level.
While the unemployment has hampered things a bit, it’s been hard to find help since way before Covid.
Been through like 6 or 7 mold waxer kids.
No work ethic, clock milking, complaining the work is too hard.
It’s like waxing a car, wax on, wax off. It’s not rocket surgery.

One guy showed up to do it and left for lunch the first day, never came back😂

Saw another guy come in working in assembly (which is sort of dusty with fiberglass) quit because the job was “too dirty”. Keep in mind this is a green card holder from straight across the border.
Was going to go pick fruit🤷‍♂️

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Lake Elsinore isn’t very nice. And $30hr isn’t very much.
That’s only 62k a year. Try buying a decent house and a decent car for that income. After living expenses you are broke and not saving for retirement and sure as shit don’t have a boat.

What’s wrong with a hard worker trying to earn a better living?
Sounds like he needs to get out of California. From what you describe, he's going to be entry level in whatever position he goes for. $30/hr for entry level, even if he was a marine, is beyond excessive. Entry level just about anywhere will NOT be able to buy a house on. He will need to get established and grow in a position to increase his value and get to the pay level to afford a house.

This is the bottom line of an employee...... your job, no matter the position or trade, is to make your boss' job easier. All the way up the food chain. Coming in as an unproven asset with little to no experience means you are already putting a burden on your boss to train you to at least fit in and gel with the company. As the boss' oversight and training decrease and you, the employee, begin to execute on your own, your value begins to increase. Weather that be exponentially or gradually, THAT is when it starts. Not when you walk in the door with "Hard worker" typed onto your resume.

Icky

Reaction score
While the unemployment has hampered things a bit, it’s been hard to find help since way before Covid.
Been through like 6 or 7 mold waxer kids.
No work ethic, clock milking, complaining the work is too hard.
It’s like waxing a car, wax on, wax off. It’s not rocket surgery.

One guy showed up to do it and left for lunch the first day, never came back😂

Saw another guy come in working in assembly (which is sort of dusty with fiberglass) quit because the job was “too dirty”. Keep in mind this is a green card holder from straight across the border.
Was going to go pick fruit🤷‍♂️
My nephew is looking for a job, where do I sign him up so I can get a discount on a speedster 😎

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Sounds like he needs to get out of California. From what you describe, he's going to be entry level in whatever position he goes for. $30/hr for entry level, even if he was a marine, is beyond excessive. Entry level just about anywhere will NOT be able to buy a house on. He will need to get established and grow in a position to increase his value and get to the pay level to afford a house.

This is the bottom line of an employee...... your job, no matter the position or trade, is to make your boss' job easier. All the way up the food chain. Coming in as an unproven asset with little to no experience means you are already putting a burden on your boss to train you to at least fit in and gel with the company. As the boss' oversight and training decrease and you, the employee, begin to execute on your own, your value begins to increase. Weather that be exponentially or gradually, THAT is when it starts. Not when you walk in the door with "Hard worker" typed onto your resume.

He has 2 years of SCE contract planning experience and I think like 7 years cell tower construction experience as a crew lead.

Kind of odd.
I can’t find an employee to show up and work.
Also same person wait this guy wants to be able to afford to live?

Fast food is paying $15hr and crew leads get $20.
So yes a job that requires a brain is in the $30 range.

floatn turd

Reaction score
What's your skillset?

Hi,
Thank you for asking.

I have done two things for most of my working life.

Sales and the ATM Industry.

Recreational Sales:
Boats, Motorcycles, RVs.

ATM Industry:
Field Tech
Project Mgr.
Cash Management & Logistics.

I can do just anything and do it very well.

Hell, I even made a sign to try me some of that "Panhandling" 😉

20210430_071146.jpg

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
15 a hour is a joke make starting pay decent with benefits and then you could take about the dems

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
That’s what people don’t understand.

If you bring value to a business, then you’re worth the high cost of labor. And the company will be loyal to you, because they want you to stay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BULLSHIT
They’ll take advantage of you as long as they can.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So as I have read through this.
2 people have commented if you make less than $30hr you need to move out of California.

Yet many employers say they can’t find good employees for $15hr in California

I think we see the problem here.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
So $15hr is $2400 month before taxes.
Rent $1000
Fuel $150
Car insurance $50
Food $200
Cell phone $50
Misc utilities $100

So $1550 to scape buy.
Leaves about $600 depending on taxes.

Any adult that is ok with the above living and financial situation is obviously a person without drive or motivation.
That same person will not make a good employee.

So at $15hr you are looking at hiring kids that live at home.
Kids don’t give a fuck about how good of a job they do.

I feel bad for you employers.Finding a decent employee that will work cheap enough so you can still turn a profit and keep the doors open is nearly impossible.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So as I have read through this.
2 people have commented if you make less than $30hr you need to move out of California.

Yet many employers say they can’t find good employees for $15hr in California

I think we see the problem here.

the issue is the money the feds are giving people not working. If that wasn't the case then there would be workers at every wage.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
So $15hr is $2400 month before taxes.
Rent $1000
Fuel $150
Car insurance $50
Food $200
Cell phone $50
Misc utilities $100

So $1550 to scape buy.
Leaves about $600 depending on taxes.

Any adult that is ok with the above living and financial situation is obviously a person without drive or motivation.
That same person will not make a good employee.

So at $15hr you are looking at hiring kids that live at home.
Kids don’t give a fuck about how good of a job they do.

I feel bad for you employers.Finding a decent employee that will work cheap enough so you can still turn a profit and keep the doors open is nearly impossible.

Same, read the thread. Not everyone on rdp lives on the west coast. I’m in the Midwest. $15 is a good starting point, first job to get some experience. It also could be a second job for some to earn extra cash and make ends meet. Amazon is at that rate for warehouse workers in most parts of the country.

Unless you’re an employer this shit doesn’t apply to you. You don’t have first hand experience.

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
15 a hour is a joke make starting pay decent with benefits and then you could take about the dems

$15.00 per hr. was NEVER intended to raise a Family. This is a wage intended to help people starting out and working their way up. I keep hearing this same old Complaint.

There are hundreds of Community Colleges that offer help for a person to learn a Skill to improve their life.

Nothing more, Nothing Less!! If people are NOT motivated to help themself and go and do the same old job, that is fine, just do not Complain about it.

This Country has gone Way out of it's way in Taxes, ETC. to help People Help T🤔hemself.

YeahYeah01

Reaction score
I have a customer in the demolition business ans he can't find anyone either. I told him we cam make millions if he can televise his interviews. The stories he tells me....... Holy shit
That's basically what I do, abatement and demolition. It's always up and down with techs but we try and keep supervisors busy. I've increased wages across the board to hold onto guys.

I was starting techs between $16 and $18 now I can't get anyone for less than $20 regardless of experience. Good techs are up to 22 now.

Construction is booming but we haven't really increased out costs like some other trades have been able to. It's super competitive still.

petie6464

Reaction score

OR!!

BOTH!!o_O

Always the same employee mindset; " I need to make more."

In 40 years as an employer I had one laborer come to me with his own documentation as to what he produced when he hired on and what he was producing now thus justifying a pay increase. I don't recall what he asked for but I gave him a little more than he requested.

From what I here now is people don't even show up and still ask for a pay raise. .🤡

badgas

Reaction score
My Son 23 ( who lives at home ) had his construction job get put on hold for few months he went out and made $1,000+ a week driving with Uber eats and his girlfriend ( also lives with her parents ) was making $1,000-$1,200 per week grocery shopping with instacart. In our house you are not allowed to just NOT work. From what I see it is not the kids living at home. My kids know other young people with 4-5 of them renting a house and nobody has a job they are all on the Gov tit and have zero guidance.

This BS needs to get cut off and at minimun you should be getting drug tested to collect UE. You have to pass drug test to go work to buy other poeples drugs and rent ?

So Sad, in this country you can be totally average and stand out as good option for an employer : (

I feel for you business owners.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Why don’t you guys post
Position
Hours available
Pay
Benefits
Location.

👆👆👆👆👆👆 This 👆👆👆👆👆👆
We have hundreds of people on this site, good resource to find employees... I have no idea on what business you all have and have some friends who might be a great employee for you... IF I KNEW WHAT YOU DO.... just saying 🤪

Done-it-again

Reaction score
He has 2 years of SCE contract planning experience and I think like 7 years cell tower construction experience as a crew lead.

Kind of odd.

Cant you get your buddy hired? seems you both are in the same field... get him that $40hr pay day.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Same, read the thread. Not everyone on rdp lives on the west coast. I’m in the Midwest. $15 is a good starting point, first job to get some experience. It also could be a second job for some to earn extra cash and make ends meet. Amazon is at that rate for warehouse workers in most parts of the country.

Unless you’re an employer this shit doesn’t apply to you. You don’t have first hand experience.
Man you sure are defensive and accusative.
No wonder you can’t get anyone to work for you.
Instead of listening with an open mind to different opinions you are set on your beliefs.

I have ran business and I have owned business.
Guess why I don’t anymore? Because it is easier to go work for someone else and let them have the stress of making ends meet and I’m pocketing nearly the same pay.

BTW Midwest don’t mean shit. I looked at moving to the Midwest. It’s not as cheap as everyone makes it out to be.
The wages in the Midwest are half what they are here and the only thing the Midwest has that is half priced are the houses

$15hr is a good starting wage but you better have room for growth up to 70-100k or the good ones will leave.

I think allot of that is because of government hand outs but mostly parenting is the biggest problem.

Being a business owner sucks and I feel for you.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
👆👆👆👆👆👆 This 👆👆👆👆👆👆
We have hundreds of people on this site, good resource to find employees... I have no idea on what business you all have and have some friends who might be a great employee for you... IF I KNEW WHAT YOU DO.... just saying 🤪

That's not going to happen as we all spend to much work time on RD..... lol

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I was paying some guy 33 an hour but he wanted more after just 2 months. No skill required in construction general labor. Good luck as most kids now are worthless since they can live at home and rely on government monies.
The day laborers on the corner want 35/hr.... with NO negotiating .... I wanted a guy to help wheel barrow cement for 30 minutes. I Offered $25 for 30 minutes........they arrogantly declined

C-2

Reaction score
My 25-year old neighbor is a 2nd year LA County Sheriff jailer , with a stay at home wife, making about $70K and they bought a house in Riverside for $400K. It can be done.

My just turned 18-year old daughter makes $15/hr for a little mom and pop coffee company.

As stated - $14...really (in SoCal)?

--------------------

I was an employee for 10 yrs, business owner for 10 years, and self-employed for 10 years.

Now I am an employee again and I gotta tell ya - I am happy as a pig in shit. :)

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Always the same employee mindset; " I need to make more."

In 40 years as an employer I had one laborer come to me with his own documentation as to what he produced when he hired on and what he was producing now thus justifying a pay increase. I don't recall what he asked for but I gave him a little more than he requested.

From what I here now is people don't even show up and still ask for a pay raise. .🤡
I totally agree most people just want.
The guy I’m talking about also wants. But he will do whatever it takes to earn it.
He could have gotten another job I lined him up on. I told him he could easily handle the work it’s less than he is doing now. All he had to do is bullshit his way in by saying he’s had more experience.
Well he told the truth in the interview and didn’t get the job.
Job was $74hr.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score

Kind of odd.

Well there is some good info you left out there in the first post. If he had a particular skill he used for the cell sites, I could see him being able to parlay that into a larger role with a large company and get the higher pay rate he wants. If he is going for a position that does not utilize that experience, then there is EXTREMELY little chance he will make over $30/hr for a long time.

petie6464

Reaction score
I totally agree most people just want.
The guy I’m talking about also wants. But he will do whatever it takes to earn it.
He could have gotten another job I lined him up on. I told him he could easily handle the work it’s less than he is doing now. All he had to do is bullshit his way in by saying he’s had more experience.
Well he told the truth in the interview and didn’t get the job.
Job was $74hr.

Gotta ask: What heck kinda job pays $74/hr!

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
The day laborers on the corner want 35/hr.... with NO negotiating .... I wanted a guy to help wheel barrow cement for 30 minutes. I Offered $25 for 30 minutes........they arrogantly declined
They have a union. If one takes sub rate work they get their ass kicked.

WYRD

Reaction score
I wouldn't give them the change in my pocket let alone 35/hr. No way I would support their business model

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
My 25-year old neighbor is a 2nd year LA County Sheriff jailer , with a stay at home wife, making about $70K and they bought a house in Riverside for $400K. It can be done.

My just turned 18-year old daughter makes $15/hr for a little mom and pop coffee company.

As stated - $14...really (in SoCal)?

--------------------

I was an employee for 10 yrs, business owner for 10 years, and self-employed for 10 years.

Now I am an employee again and I gotta tell ya - I am happy as a pig in shit. :)
Unless they put a boat load down, they are going to be hurting and working to live for quite a while. I was in a similar position making moderately more. Bought a house for $315k, thought I was set, then reality set in. I was lucky that I was able to short sale the house and move to AZ before we lost everything. We were close. And we didn't have a car payment or major credit cards.