WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Dead heading

MOUZER

Reaction score
west coast to east coast again next week wife and i 12 hrs a day max 3 days

Christopher Lucero

Reaction score
Anyone do a CA to New England?
I’m thinking me and the wife can do 3000 miles in 48 hours or so. Maybe stay at a hotel once?
Enlighten me.
that would be exceptional, but not impossible with 2 drivers. I did a lone Philly to LA trip in three days (~2700) driving back in a 'parts car'...

Philly->louisville (670 mi) <sleep>
louisville -> Denver (1100 mi) <sleep>
Denver-> LA (1000mi)

best part of the drive was southern ohio and missouri. very nice there.

with three drivers, my wife and I moved my son to Portland in one shot...took about 12 hours. truck was only shut off twice for fuel.

Last edited:

scottchbrite

Reaction score
This thread brought back some memories of our “traveling circus”. We would race Pomona, then Monday morning hit the road for the Orlando points race the next weekend. We would then leave Florida and head back west for the national event in Phoenix the following weekend. After Phoenix, we’d head back east for the Gator Nationals in Gainesville. At the end of the season, after the second Dallas race, I would drive straight home after the race Sunday night. Straight 24 hours home to break off a piece (because I was on the road for several weeks straight), usually grab parts from the shop to restock, then meet back up in Vegas for the divisional race. Good times when you're 23!

SnoC653

Reaction score
We’re doing Riverside to Iowa next week. Plan on driving through in the RV with 3 people. Leave Tuesday around 1300, arrive Wednesday night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why are you coming to Iowa? It's cold and rainy here this week and you can't even watch the corn grow yet.

I've done Iowa to Riverside or Fresno and back a few times. It's a lot of driving and the OP still has the other half the country to cross once he gets here. And to then turn around and go back? I think the book a flight and a rental car sentiment has a lot of merit at this point.

petie6464

Reaction score
As long as you aren't anywhere near hwy 80 you won't have to worry about me. 😒

Copy that. Hwy 80 is notorious for asshole drivers 😉

Couple hours? It's around a 6 hour flight, non-stop, from SFO.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Man that is a rough drive.....is this a one way trip I assume?

if not fly. My son took a flight this April and it went fine

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
48 hours..3k miles. Nope.

We do TX to Havasu a lot..like 6-10x a year. It is 17 hours from the time we roll out of New Braunfels till we hit the garage in havasu. Thats if NOTHING goes wrong. Before the baby it wasn't a big deal. With the baby (she's 1 today actually), it just doesn't work anymore. We have to stop..she can't do it straight. Leaving Tx, she hits her limit around Benson/Tucson. Leaving AZ we stop at El Capitan in Van Horn religiously. Sooner than later that trip will start to be made in an RV...

I used to be able to make that run solo...start to get tired right past Phoenix...by Quartzite I need a red bull, by Parker I need another. By the time I hit the house I'm seeing spots, and its lights out time. It was essentially leave at 2am TX time, get in late that night in Havasu. I don't try to do that anymore.

To do 3k in 48 hrs you would have to avg 62.5mph the entire way including stops. I highly doubt that can happen..but who knows. The other issue is by mile 2k you will likely both be tired and irritable... I'd break it into 1k mile legs..do it in 3 days.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
I like a good road trip as much as the rest of the posters above. But, agree, 3k in 48 hrs is not going to happen. Maybe if it is your life long goal, then give it a shot 😀

My trips lately have been with wife and kids. One 2-week trip and one 8-day trip. I’ve beaten myself down to 350-375 mile days max to ‘smell the roses’. Otherwise, it just makes wife, kids and myself irritated as hell from non stop driving.

add a day or fly is my advice. Either way, have a good trip!

JayBreww

Reaction score
why are you coming to Iowa? It's cold and rainy here this week and you can't even watch the corn grow yet.

I've done Iowa to Riverside or Fresno and back a few times. It's a lot of driving and the OP still has the other half the country to cross once he gets here. And to then turn around and go back? I think the book a flight and a rental car sentiment has a lot of merit at this point.

Visit family. Do some work to the house they bought.

hallett21

Reaction score
Fly lol

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Anyone else having flashbacks of the 1980's Cannonball Run movies??

SnoC653

Reaction score
Visit family. Do some work to the house they bought.

Have a safe trip, the weather has been good for working on projects. We could use a little rain for the fields. I'm just a little east and south of Newton if you're in the area.

JayBreww

Reaction score
Have a safe trip, the weather has been good for working on projects. We could use a little rain for the fields. I'm just a little east and south of Newton if you're in the area.

We’ll be just down the 80 from yuh in Iowa City.