WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lumber Prices.......

Spudsbud

Reaction score
no shit !

Screenshot_20210504-094357_Instagram.jpg

propcheck

Reaction score
Well I am just thankful I am not paying higher taxes for things here in the middle class👍😂

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Was just reading about illegal stuff in Mexico...lots to read. One of the things the cartels have been into for years is illegal logging! Never heard that before. Drugs, prostitutes, human smuggling, sure...but they also have logging outfits as well as tobacco companies...
Even they probably didn't think about that division bringing in big numbers!

SoCalDave

Reaction score
and I'm about to start an addition...fuk me...

NicPaus

Reaction score
and I'm about to start an addition...fuk me...
Plans approved? If not it could be months and hopefully lumber comes down. I have a client having plans drawn now for addition and 1 for a ADU.

I think the lumber sales have figured that people have to wait 8 months dealing with plan check and once approved they just want to get it done and pay the price.

DLC

Reaction score
I spoke to my designer yesterday and he said cabinets and tile and other items are up to 3 -3.5 months out.... crazy how things get pushed way out like that. Drywall has gone up, in most factories occupancy is still at a 40-50% capacity due to Covid, ADD THAT to a shut down and you can’t catch up while everything is booming

basically sign contract today and hope it’s wrapped up before Christmas!

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I’m looking to have a 3-car garage built on my property.

Steel prices have gone up, but a steel garage is only gonna be about half what it’ll cost to have it built with sticks.

Crazy…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Plans approved? If not it could be months and hopefully lumber comes down. I have a client having plans drawn now for addition and 1 for a ADU.

I think the lumber sales have figured that people have to wait 8 months dealing with plan check and once approved they just want to get it done and pay the price.
Submitting to the City of Lakewood this week, 1600sgft two story addition. It maybe a while and hoping prices's start to go the other way by time of approval.
My nephew (GC, mostly door's/windows) is part a large project in Newport Coast at an oceanfront home. Chinese owner bought the place for a mer 14.4m and is tearing the back of it off for remodel. The windows and doors for the back of the house are going to run about 245k and since the rear doors will not align with the swimming pool now owner is having the pool moved to the north about 4'. 😲 My nephew was talking with the GC working on the house next door. They are putting down new exotic flooring downstairs at a cost of 600k. Crazy $$$$ these people have.

farmo83

Reaction score
I priced out replacing my fence at my home a few years ago and it was roughly 5500 bucks.

My neighbor had a small section of her's replaced a few weeks ago and I got a quote from the guy as he was already here and I was home.

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
I want to build a wood deck around my house but now thinking I might just pour a concrete slab instead, stamp and color to make it look like wood.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I want to build a wood deck around my house but now thinking I might just pour a concrete slab instead, stamp and color to make it look like wood.

Not so sure going concrete is going to be any cheaper. It has jumped almost as bad.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
This was Lowes in Jackson TN Yesterday, Shortage my ass.
IMG_0839.jpg
IMG_0840.jpg
IMG_0841.jpg
IMG_0842.jpg

SloppyJoe

Reaction score
I've been remodeling my house for the past year or so. Replaced some subfloor, added 1/2" osb screwed down on top then added 3/4" plywood planks I made. Did shiplap wall in kitchen and dining room and horizontal accent in my son's room. I'm currently building out the garage and skinning the ceiling with osb. Needless to say there's a lot of wood and I've just been creative in acquiring the materials needed. The plywood used for the floors was $34 per 4x8 sheet when I started...it's now $68 per sheet! I've been able to track down a lot of plywood, 2x6, 4x4 and other lumber for cheap or even free. Keeping a stock pile as I have the room for it.
IMG_20210315_000337728~2.jpg
IMG_20210430_235346520.jpg
IMG_20210211_191348174.jpg
IMG_20200517_211724208.jpg
IMG_20200428_191412172.jpg
IMG_20200504_104801063.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Just got back from home depot. 4 2x4s, a few rolls of 60 minute, 5 boxes of screws, 5 gallons, few miscellaneous things $564.47. Everything is on the rise. 5lb of screws $28.50 plus tax

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
Friend in Montana..
He paid 11.97 per sheet 1.5 years ago
PLYWOOD.jpeg

Swain

Reaction score
Just bought 3/4" 4'x8' marine plywood was $ 108 per sheet.

Ganahl wanted $ 190 per sheet

530RL

Reaction score
Coming back down.

Last edited:

530RL

Reaction score
Down to 774 today.

Nordie

Reaction score
Had to pickup a sheet of "3/4" for my wife's coworker on Friday. Someone tried to break into her condo and shattered the front window. So I grab a sheet of BC 23/32 at Lowes. Roll up to the counter and the nice kid has no fucking clue how to ring it up. So I try to be nice and walk back to get him a SKU # anyhow mexican Karen manager bitch follows me, and I point at where I got the sheet from. She states, "you didn't take a picture of it for us?".

I lost my shit, I say no wonder why I don't fucking come to Lowes, you guys don't know your product and now you want me to do your job. The young kid at the register was really nice, but mexican Karen pissed me off...no more Lowes for me. Got forbid a 8000% markup piece of lumber doesn't have a scanny chingadera on it.

Sorry I'll step off of my soapbox now

530RL

Reaction score
612 today, down from a high of 1670.

traquer

Reaction score
When you think it's gonna come back down to the same level at wholesale and retail?

530RL

Reaction score
When you think it's gonna come back down to the same level at wholesale and retail?

Beats me. If I knew that I would be rich...... 🤷‍♂️

We fund about 25 starts a month in Greater Reno and the starts this week were at about 1050 for the soft lumber package which was the futures price about 40 days ago. So I suspect it will take another 4 to 6 weeks to get down to 600 - 700 but I am not betting it goes below that unless a huge drop in demand comes about.

At the retail level it will take whatever time it takes to clear out the snake and fill it with cheaper inventory.

With respect to home buyers, housing prices didn't get specific bumps or premiums that could be linked to lumber at least on our side. So just as margins contracted a little when lumber went up, I suspect they will just expand a little now. But there is such a shortage of labor, I can't imagine housing prices retracting in general absent a significant fundamental shift in demand. If we could double our production, we could sell every house. We have the finished lots. But there is no way the labor can do that so supply is simply constrained with no ability to increase it.

NicPaus

Reaction score
OSB was like 14 something and bulk price 12 and change if you bought a unit.

Copper wire dropped as well $178 to $144 for 12-2 roll.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We were placing our usual lumber order and things are coming down, the studs we ordered were just under half the price of the last order we placed. Rebar and drywall prices have gone up a little for us but I haven't check other places.

c_land

Reaction score
Thank god. Maybe I can finally start my new house.
When the Fed starts their taper that should bring things even further closer to normal for everything currently inflated.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I was talking to one of the head guys for lowes,.. he said what they do , they take the stock on hand, and the new stock and get the total cost the lower the price to the new total.... lots of places are just holding to the high price as long as they can get away with it,.... lowes seem to have the best prices right now, non contractor

NicPaus

Reaction score
Lowes always beats HD on lumber prices. Few months ago a 2x6x16 treated was $10 less at lowes. Lowes will not price match thought on lumber.

They don't offer contractor pricing. They offer bulk or you can submit for pricing on large orders. You don't have to be a contractor. You can submit for appliances and other items as well. I get 10% off at lowes as they offer the Military to family members and HD does not. There is front row parking at lowes always plus 10% gets my business. Some employees there are terrible but majority are good. I am on first name basis with a lot of them at both Torrance locations.

Home Depot is always packed. The One by this job on Jefferson is a fucking zoo. Torrance is right behind it.

kimbalee

Reaction score
So this is fantastic news for us - have been delaying our out of state build until the prices come back down. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any more insight/educated predictions about steel prices? Was hoping they would self-correct like lumbar but as of today they are still ridiculous. We are building a 7,000sq foot barndominium (steel building).

Done-it-again

Reaction score
So this is fantastic news for us - have been delaying our out of state build until the prices come back down. Not to hijack the thread but does anyone have any more insight/educated predictions about steel prices? Was hoping they would self-correct like lumbar but as of today they are still ridiculous. We are building a 7,000sq foot barndominium (steel building).

Steel is still crazy high..... And have heard steel building are like 6-10 months backed up.

My pipe/tube is 100% and structural is 45-55% from January

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
No relief in sight for us (the sheet metal for our duct). We are being told that there are several steel mills that took the COVID opportunity to shutter and due to government restrictions and other issues, a couple are believed to not be re-opening in the fore-seeable future.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Lowes always beats HD on lumber prices. Few months ago a 2x6x16 treated was $10 less at lowes. Lowes will not price match thought on lumber.

They don't offer contractor pricing. They offer bulk or you can submit for pricing on large orders. You don't have to be a contractor. You can submit for appliances and other items as well. I get 10% off at lowes as they offer the Military to family members and HD does not. There is front row parking at lowes always plus 10% gets my business. Some employees there are terrible but majority are good. I am on first name basis with a lot of them at both Torrance locations.

Home Depot is always packed. The One by this job on Jefferson is a fucking zoo. Torrance is right behind it.

Lowes also stocks their appliances vs HD which farms it out. If you are doing large orders on them they get very aggressive on pricing...HD won't come close.

boatpi

Reaction score
Side note, aluminum is still higher and in many cases cheaper than steel.