WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

gd.com...

renodaytona

Reaction score
Sucks as there was a ton of info on that site. I was a member back in the day but couldn't remember my login or email so I had rejoined late last year when I started shopping for a Sand Car.

Groper

Reaction score
Who was that??

I totally remember the bighad deal, but I'm not sure who this was??
Yeah me too 🤔

I too did a few GD Portals and even recently received a GD Postal during DS from Mesa to Parker for some Buggy Seats that arrived at a RDP members house that also has a sweet 21RC. ;)
I've meet some cool people from GD and have been friends for many years.
I really liked the Sandrail Tech section tons of great info there.
Hopefully they can get the thing going again.

Sandlord

Reaction score
He claimed PTSD but ran open boat headers on his big block rail and shot off fireworks at Glamis like disneyland. He also posted tons of pics of himself swapping motors in his rail and cars, riding around on ATC 70's and ate it and all the sudden those new injuries were from his service days. He ended up getting a free house and mini-van donated to him.

Damn, how did I miss that shift show?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Speaking of lost data, just last week my buddy had a ransomware script run gangbusters through his entire business, he lost 20 years of data, it even hosed the backups because they were all "online" backups. They even sent in techs from the FBI to try and do a forensic retrieval but there is basically no chance of recovery without the passwords for the encryption.

Moral of the story, keep many backups and offline/disconnected backups if anything is important.

badgas

Reaction score
I joined in 04 met some cool people and learned a lot as I was a Glamis rookie at the time.

I guess my for sale ad for two raptor 700's needs to be re done over here ?

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of lost data, just last week my buddy had a ransomware script run gangbusters through his entire business, he lost 20 years of data, it even hosed the backups because they were all "online" backups. They even sent in techs from the FBI to try and do a forensic retrieval but there is basically no chance of recovery without the passwords for the encryption.

Moral of the story, keep many backups and offline/disconnected backups if anything is important.

That happened to Custom Truck Shop years ago as well. They ended up throwing all their computers away.

Sucks azz.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Was a member there but not very active. The most activity I participated in was during the new Wash Road building. Mostly just wandered around the classifieds.
I would get Direct Messages now and then from dyslexic people that mistook Ziggy for Zippy😂

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Was a member there but not very active. The most activity I participated in was during the new Wash Road building. Mostly just wandered around the classifieds.
I would get Direct Messages now and then from dyslexic people that mistook Ziggy for Zippy😂
That me me laugh..... Its Zippy from now on.... lol

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
My screen name was rightshift over there. Didn’t post much. Bought some stuff, sold some stuff, went to 1 gathering, and Yuma sand drags gathering. Learned a lot.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score

I've seen this happen to medical clinics.

TEST YOUR BACKUPS!

wash11

Reaction score
GD.com was a huge part of our life for almost a decade. Camped in the compound for years, ATC70 regattas, EPO races (that don't exist), dune cleanups, Sand Show gatherings, Vegas invasions- you name it and we were probably a part of most events. Almost 15 years later, our best friends that we talk to daily and the group we travel with all came from that site. Nothing but great memories of a special time.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
GD.com was a huge part of our life for almost a decade. Camped in the compound for years, ATC70 regattas, EPO races (that don't exist), dune cleanups, Sand Show gatherings, Vegas invasions- you name it and we were probably a part of most events. Almost 15 years later, our best friends that we talk to daily and the group we travel with all came from that site. Nothing but great memories of a special time.
Your screen name is just a itty bitty clue you were highly involved.😊
I started going to G in the 70's when cresting Comp was an accomplishment and water pumpers were just frankenstein garage creations. Kinda stopped for a while then got back into it with the advent of the quad mid 80s. We usually camped at Gecko area along what was known as 7mile rd in the olden days but tired of the huge crowds. Migrated our camping spot to Garbage flats amoungst the trees so the kiddos had the mini dunes to learn on...this was well before they added the access to vendor flats and we'd half to access sand highway at the store and backtrack the couple miles to our campspot.
Lots and lots of memories with the family there. Been a dozen or more years since I've been and have not even taken my purpose built Manx there yet.....one of these days we'll make it out there again, midweek most likely.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Yeah me too 🤔

I too did a few GD Portals and even recently received a GD Postal during DS from Mesa to Parker for some Buggy Seats that arrived at a RDP members house that also has a sweet 21RC. ;)
I've meet some cool people from GD and have been friends for many years.
I really liked the Sandrail Tech section tons of great info there.
Hopefully they can get the thing going again.
I think you bought my stereo system out of my teryx

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
No legal reason to have any kinna back up that I'm aware of. It's up to the site admin to do it, and do it properly.

What's properly mean?

Both on site and off site backups. I have my server backed up locally (on a different drive, in the same building) and remotely, on Amazon S3. Even if the building my server is in burns to the ground, I'll still have remote back ups to use. And Amazon stores their stuff on multiple servers, so their stuff is backed up as well.

So all of you guy that I've built websites for, never have to worry about something like this happening to you. We are good.

might want to look into that joe..

I can’t speak for normal websites but forums etc legally you have to keep backups per our government I am pretty sure.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Half if not more that posted in this thread were posting on GD way before they showed up here. I am a River Rat cause of GD and no longer go to Naci.

endobear

Reaction score
It's back up.
Been a member over there for a while. Learned alot. Bought and sold my rail there.

Feelin Nauti

Reaction score
Loved the site back in the day. spent a lot of time on there. First people I ever met was the the Montana Girl and her family, who lived across the street. It was a good time while it lasted. Still go to glamis with the Rzr but completely different crew to hang out with.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
might want to look into that joe..

I can’t speak for normal websites but forums etc legally you have to keep backups per our government I am pretty sure.

Not sure what/where to look for something like that, but I have everything backed up securely. I suppose I'm in compliance then?

I think maybe what you are talking about is this sorta stuff. And this applies to actual user data, not website content. Plus, if you loose all your user data, then you don't have a whole lot to worry about. These laws apply to COLLECTED/STORED user data. Any website that is collecting user data, has to have a privacy policy in place that explains to the user the rights they have over their data.

There are companies out there that can/will create Privacy Policies for you. I used these guys for mine...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Loved the site back in the day. spent a lot of time on there. First people I ever met was the the Montana Girl and her family, who lived across the street. It was a good time while it lasted. Still go to glamis with the Rzr but completely different crew to hang out with.

Funny. I introduced Amy to Ken!

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I started way back on the site in the big sandrail days and when the rhinos came out.. Learned a lot over the years, and saw all the drama that was spoken above.
But once the make over was done, it lost its luster. Still checked back daily, but just to see the classifieds and what was going on, which wasn't much.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
My build threads 😭😭 fuckkkkkk the original Project tRhino, and my buggy. Jesus that blows.

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score
My build threads 😭😭 fuckkkkkk the original Project tRhino, and my buggy. Jesus that blows.

Apparently the only thing they didn't lose was all of the pictures. But the threads they were associated with are all gone.

gqchris

Reaction score

Your buddy needs to fire his IT consultant or Director. The backups should be at least "versioning" so that you can go back a day before the ransomware hosed your backups. Even the most simple backup companies offer that.

Ladsm

Reaction score
They just posted up what happened, Server failed, drives got put in a new server and overwritten when reloading the new Linux operating system. Only pic files are left on one of the drives

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Your buddy needs to fire his IT consultant or Director. The backups should be at least "versioning" so that you can go back a day before the ransomware hosed your backups. Even the most simple backup companies offer that.

this

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
There’s something not right about this.. legally you have to maintain backups for some amount of time (I think it’s one month? Maybe longer?)

Legally? What legalities are there related to backups of an internet forum as you don't really have "personal" data. Or is it required if you sell the email addresses?

If your "backup" is bad.. you are SOL. The government is not going to come after you after a total data loss.

Just like it is not illegal to run a business poorly, it is not illegal to run IT poorly.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Welcome to my job. With the right backup strategy and solution, You can pretty much revert to the last snapshot taken before the ransomware hit, be back up less than an hour, and tell them to F off.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Welcome to my job. With the right backup strategy and solution, You can pretty much revert to the last snapshot taken before the ransomware hit, be back up less than an hour, and tell them to F off.

I asked you if you knew how WHM worked, so don't say I didn't give you a shot! 😁

Had to figure all that shit out on my own. That was a fun learning curve. NOT! 😝

HTTP404

Reaction score
I am doing test restores as we speak. Time-consuming but very necessary. We test remote and local snapshots and document the results regularly.

HTTP404

Reaction score
Legally? What legalities are there related to backups of an internet forum as you don't really have "personal" data. Or is it required if you sell the email addresses?

If your "backup" is bad.. you are SOL. The government is not going to come after you after a total data loss.

Just like it is not illegal to run a business poorly, it is not illegal to run IT poorly.

In healthcare it can be.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Yes, it's silly. They are very heavy handed with the moderation too...

Too bad they didn't moderate Beth and Steve off the boards. That's the main reason I quit posting there. I couldn't stand to listen to them any longer.

👎