WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

lucky mofo 50 cal

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You ever see the one where the guy shoots a target and the bullet comes back and knocks his ear phones off?

Lumpy

Reaction score
Not surprised...older mass production surplus ammo but BMG? No fucking way. He said many rounds went through that 50. could have been compromised
early on but who knows. No way I would put that round...let alone two through a non military 50. Like I said...no fucking way! I've sent 100's of thousands rounds
down range, range mastered, high power matches....had two fold up on me and still alive to talk about it.
Again,
Like I said...no fucking way.

rrrr

Reaction score
Not surprised...older mass production surplus ammo but BMG? No fucking way.

I don't know a thing about .50 ammo or rifles, but I can tell you this...there's no fucking way I would shoot a .50 round not knowing where it came from or who loaded it.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I think the engineer on that firearm needs to go back to school. Threaded connection strength figures are fairly accurate unless fatigue is involved. When the threads are subject to dynamic and cyclic loading, as is the case when something is finger tight...all that shit goes out the window. Piss poor design.

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
I've shot a couple of different .50's. Also been able to shoot new, factory, loads, as well as reloads the owner did of different types (AP, API, etc). Never fired new old stock kind of stuff through one.

What I don't get, he mentions in the video, and showed, how the previous rounds were "acting weird". Way off target... This guy obviously knows his rifle, and his optic. For the projectile to be that far off, on just those rounds, there is a problem. I don't think it was as "hot" a load, as it was the core of the round tumbling.

For those that don't know, a SLAP round is a saboted light armor piercing. A sabot round has a smaller dense core projectile that travels down the barrel in a housing that peels away upon exiting the barrel. Usually, the "adapter" material is a composite product, like plastic. I think the there was a combination maybe, of a "hot" round, and a possibly weak sabot, causing the round to spall within the barrel.

Whatever the case, he's lucky he and his dad didn't panic, and got it handled. Very lucky indeed.

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Wow that is insane.... Guy has a great attitude. I just ordered one of his shirts.....

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Where would a civilian get that round from in the first place? Is it a military surplus item you could buy retail somewhere?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Where would a civilian get that round from in the first place? Is it a military surplus item you could buy retail somewhere?

A lot of ammo is military surplus.. I have a ton of junk “wolf” ammo that I believe is surplus from Ukraine..

I got a crate (1650) of .556 rounds thst is US military surplus from Malaysia..

monkeyswrench

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the design of that gun leaves a lot to be desired?
I've never been a fan of the Serbu, but it usually doesn't explode. When I first saw one, it looked like a hi-end zip gun. The theaded cap seems primitive, but a bolt with lugs is pretty basic too.

Lumpy

Reaction score
A lot of ammo is military surplus.. I have a ton of junk “wolf” ammo that I believe is surplus from Ukraine..

I got a crate (1650) of .556 rounds thst is US military surplus from Malaysia..
Am I the only one that thinks the design of that gun leaves a lot to be desired?

Yes and Yes Dave,
Wouldn't be afraid to shoot your stuff at all but BMG outa that screw top rifle...no way...let alone the surplus round that was never meant
to be sent out of the screw top in the first place.

SnoC653

Reaction score
I've fired SLAP rounds through my Barrett and had no problems. But, the most likely cause of his problem was barrel fouling from the Shoe on the round. If his barrel was hot, it would explain his wandering rounds and would cause the shoe to leave residue in the barrel. Too much residue and the barrel will build a ton of back pressure which is what appeared to have happened.

lbhsbz

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of the Serbu, but it usually doesn't explode. When I first saw one, it looked like a hi-end zip gun. The theaded cap seems primitive, but a bolt with lugs is pretty basic too.

It is considerably easier to calculate the shear strength of a lug than is it the tensile strength of threads with fatigue factors involved when the threads are not being used properly...which is probably why the big boy versions don't fucking explode.

I learned a lot about threads and fasteners while putting a paper together a few years back for the automotive industry. Most broken wheel studs are not due to overtorque, but undertorque.

The threaded fastener, when tightened appropriately, stretches and creates tension on the assembly. The tension, and resulting clamping force, creates the mechanical connection. If the 2 pieces move, the connection has failed. The fastener should be tightened such that it creates a clamped joint of greater strength than the dynamic loads on joint will impose. In other words, the fastener should not really notice any dynamic loads applied to the joint.

If the fastener is undertightened, such that the dynamic loading WILL affect the stress level on the fastener, then that cyclic loading will create a fatigue situation which will eventually cause that fastener to fail.

All we are dealing with in this application is a threaded fastener under high load with a hole in the middle of it that is grossly undertightened

Last edited: