WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Its time, Howard 255 going in the mold!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I got the call I have been waiting for from Mike at Howard!

"Hi Duane I believe you are the next in the mold so I want to get with you to confirm your design and colors."

This ain't going to be a skater 368 but hopefully the experience will be just as fun as using it!

Here is where I left it to Mike, he sent his version which I won't post quite yet, but I LIKED IT!!
1-REV9Kc1.jpg

I booked my first flight down for Monday 5/24, hopefully I can pay someone off to take pics 🤔

Roaddawg

Reaction score
Nice man. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RaceTec

Reaction score
I am always surprised that they don't post more here... Looking forward to seeing your build!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I am always surprised that they don't post more here... Looking forward to seeing your build!

While I was trying to decide which boat i wanted, it was somewhat of a struggle to find much on the internet via facebook or IG. But in the end the write up on here of the first 255 out was all I needed.

Like the show me the money movie "they had me at the first pic"!

FROGMAN524

Reaction score
While I was trying to decide which boat i wanted, it was somewhat of a struggle to find much on the internet via facebook or IG. But in the end the write up on here of the first 255 out was all I needed.

Like the show me the money movie "they had me at the first pic"!

Gene doesn’t need any more marketing. He’s got enough boats on back order to keep him busy for years. They sell themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I talked to Mike yesterday late afternoon and signed off on "the scheme" he added his interpretation based on getting fades to work and of course he may have done one or two of these before! 😆 We love it!

The purple color does not represent well in the renderings, here is the sample we are going after, fades are in Mikes hands.
He doesn't know it yet but I am leaving the decision on a tinted windshield in his hands too, it might screw up the upper orange fade.

Purple (close to mopars plumb crazy) and orange
original orange and purple color samples.jpg

Dk gunmetal
DK METALLIC SILVER.jpeg

Starting spot
1-REV9Kc1 REVERSE.jpg

Final
Doc1.jpg

Build sheet as of now
BUILD SHEET 5-1-21.jpg

Last edited:

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I talked to Mike yesterday late afternoon and signed off on "the scheme" he added his interpretation based on getting fades to work and of course he may have done one or two of these before! 😆 We love it!

The purple color does not represent well in the renderings, here is the sample we are going after, fades are in Mikes hands.
He doesn't know it yet but I am leaving the decision on a tinted windshield in his hands too, it might screw up the upper orange fade.

Purple (close to mopars plumb crazy) and orange
View attachment 999212

Dk gunmetal
View attachment 999213

Starting spot
View attachment 999210

Final
View attachment 999211

Build sheet as of now
View attachment 999221

Crazy how the subtle changes in the graphics make the boat look so much better. 👍

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Crazy how the subtle changes in the graphics make the boat look so much better. 👍

The biggest two things I saw was softening up of the corners and moving the main black/orange to the rear which really made it look longer and sleeker.
Mike does have a knack for what makes his boats look good!

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Agreed!

First photos 5/25, not sure what of?? maybe a bare mold with some tape, but it will be a start!
It took about 6 weeks for me to see the boat out of the mold with the top sitting on the bottom.

Mikemo_SDS

Reaction score
Was that the best part or hearing that beast on the dyno?
Seeing the boat was more exciting. Just because I had designed the graphics the way I wanted and all that. I was pretty nervous to see it in person because there is not another like it. But way worth it I think.
The engine was very exciting as well because I knew one day soon that I’m going to be driving a 28’ boat with 1100 hp!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Going to be sweet. I know they're not the coolest things, but I'd sure like to have wind deflectors.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
I don't think your gonna like it. I'll save you the heartache and hassles and gladly take it off your hand at a cost of nothing to you. 😂

Congratulations man! That's going to be a sweet boat.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I don't think your gonna like it. I'll save you the heartache and hassles and gladly take it off your hand at a cost of nothing to you. 😂

Congratulations man! That's going to be a sweet boat.

Thank You, It has to last me until I am both feet in the grave cause I sure as hell wont be able to do it again!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
actually considering the windshield, this one looks tinted and looks so much nicer than the clear, not sure how it would effect the upper orange being behind the tint
View attachment 999951 View attachment 999952
I was just assuming they would be the chrome bar style, that looks pretty good, you're right about changing the color, tough call. Also the gel changes are nice.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I was just assuming they would be the chrome bar style, that looks pretty good, you're right about changing the color, tough call. Also the gel changes are nice.
Thank You,
I will rely on Mikes input on the windshield for sure, I had a lot of fun in the gel scheme threads, yours and others comments were appreciated! We got close and Mike nailed it.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
That one pictures has the 520 I believe.

Which truly is a smart choice, best value in dollar per HP gained over the base 6.2/350

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The final scheme looks so good... Mike is truly gifted. The 3rd battery goes right behind the second battery. 🤣. Cleared that up clear as mud for you.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
The 2 interstate batteries are the house batteries and the third larger battery is there to start and run the motor.. I can drain the house batteries to zero on the beach and still be fine to start up and drive away.
1081D403-1B9C-46F2-A6DA-196B35C02680.jpeg
63728A26-D8BC-408C-AA50-DAF14ACE6C73.jpeg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The 2 interstate batteries are the house batteries and the third larger battery is there to start and run the motor.. I can drain the house batteries to zero on the beach and still be fine to start up and drive away. View attachment 1002410 View attachment 1002411

I wonder if he would be receptive for an alternate location, I want to see abount putting an access panel in that step where the third battery is and use that space for my rear anchor setup. Mike doesn't want to add the access panel per gene, which is fine, they probably have a reason I am not seeing for not being able to do it. I will find out.

What functions do the 2 pumps have, boat leveler is tabs? and the nice sae pump for the outdrive?

Thx

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The final scheme looks so good... Mike is truly gifted. The 3rd battery goes right behind the second battery. 🤣. Cleared that up clear as mud for you.

Amazing the difference his subtle changes made and he probably did it in 5 minutes! It looks longer and sleeker.

I am really considering the windshield if it can be tinted now that I see they can gel coat the glass so it might not hinder the look of the top orange fade band being behind the glass. Of course I need to aks if he is putting that orange band where the glass is or it almosts looks like it is below the windshield area.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
I wonder if he would be receptive for an alternate location, I want to see abount putting an access panel in that step where the third battery is and use that space for my rear anchor setup. Mike doesn't want to add the access panel per gene, which is fine, they probably have a reason I am not seeing for not being able to do it. I will find out.

What functions do the 2 pumps have, boat leveler is tabs? and the nice sae pump for the outdrive?

Thx
Rear anchor setup? WTF? It’s not a cruise ship. I promise you don’t want an anchor there. You only need 2 anchors. A small box anchor and a sand spike. Both fit nicely under the bench up front or even in the ski locker. You don’t want to be making people move to open the hatch when u want to stop somewhere.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
2 other thoughts. You don’t want to go messing with the structure of the boat. Even cutting a panel in the steps. One of the greatest features of the Howard is how sturdy and solid they are. You don’t hear any creaking or flexing noises under way. Don’t do anything to change that. Second, you don’t want an anchor to be able to go airborne or flying around anywhere near your engine or under that hatch. At some point you will find an unexpected wake at a faster than comfortable speed, and don’t be surprised to find yourself airborne. What you don’t want is an anchor paralleling your track under the hatch. I can’t vote against this idea enough. Then again, it’s your boat. Do what you makes you happy.

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Amazing the difference his subtle changes made and he probably did it in 5 minutes! It looks longer and sleeker.

I am really considering the windshield if it can be tinted now that I see they can gel coat the glass so it might not hinder the look of the top orange fade band being behind the glass. Of course I need to aks if he is putting that orange band where the glass is or it almosts looks like it is below the windshield area.

We had a nice discussion yesterday about the windshield. It’s definitely personal preference.
C21DA7A4-EA99-4B8C-93F7-60FF60DE6487.jpeg
23D1FF30-BBD0-4FD7-A1C4-14C114B8595B.jpeg

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Rear anchor setup? WTF? It’s not a cruise ship. I promise you don’t want an anchor there. You only need 2 anchors. A small box anchor and a sand spike. Both fit nicely under the bench up front or even in the ski locker. You don’t want to be making people move to open the hatch when u want to stop somewhere.

We anchor up in a narrow rock canyon and need front and rear anchor so the boat doesn't swing around the front anchor and hit the side of the canyon. We like to hug the shady side. So no one getting up and down, won't even use the rear seat cooler as a cooler for that very reason. Same for what stores under the front seats it will only be things rarely needed, paddle, jumper cables, small tool bag, extra life jacket or two

I also anchor the rear with a bungee when we beach at some spots drive the sand spike and let it float just off the shore. I am lazy so I want a front anchor in the front and a rear anchor in the rear! Especially when I get into my 70s 👍

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
2 other thoughts. You don’t want to go messing with the structure of the boat. Even cutting a panel in the steps. One of the greatest features of the Howard is how sturdy and solid they are. You don’t hear any creaking or flexing noises under way. Don’t do anything to change that. Second, you don’t want an anchor to be able to go airborne or flying around anywhere near your engine or under that hatch. At some point you will find an unexpected wake at a faster than comfortable speed, and don’t be surprised to find yourself airborne. What you don’t want is an anchor paralleling your track under the hatch. I can’t vote against this idea enough. Then again, it’s your boat. Do what you makes you happy.

I have this same setup on my current boat. I make a billet aluminum cradle with a custom quick release retaining ring. You drop the anchor in and it locks in, you want it out you pull back a spring relaease and the anchor pops out. Similar setup for the front.

Final decision will be after I look at the step and talk in detail with Mike, but fairly sure I can build a nice low profile floor brace out of alum or SS on the under side of the step.
Cutting into the top or bottom step would present more challenge on flexing IMO.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
We had a nice discussion yesterday about the windshield. It’s definitely personal preference. View attachment 1002427 View attachment 1002428
Deanls's boat? It was at the 2020 LA boat show, no windshield at that time though
IMG_4447.jpg

Do you think the tinting makes a difference in the look? I did not like the clear that is for sure, but the tinted version gives a different look?

I hope my upper orange is just below where the windshield goes so I can wait on the decision if I want, basically add later or take off and not impact the gel-scheme

v6toy4x

Reaction score
we haven't even pulled our boat out to get ready for this year, and you guys are already at it, NICE!!

CobraDave

Reaction score
I personally don’t like the windscreen. Tinted or not ( the clear one is worse). With that boat I would do the flip up screens. You obviously need something because of the size of the motor. Turned out really nice though. Congratulations.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I personally don’t like the windscreen. Tinted or not ( the clear one is worse). With that boat I would do the flip up screens. You obviously need something because of the size of the motor. Turned out really nice though. Congratulations.

Thank You,
I agree the clear one looks like the boat has on a pair of clear goggles, I think I am partial cause my current boat has tinted windshields.
I will look for some pics of the windscreens, never really considered those.

HTMike

OG
Reaction score
How do these boats run with good power ? Such an interesting hull design.

Last edited:

v6toy4x

Reaction score
How do these boats run with good power ? Such and interesting hull design.

According to gene one with a 565 should be mid 80s with passengers??
@MeCasa16 just got his with a 565 a couple weeks ago and could speak to that, hands on!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
any updates

I fly down next Monday, probably wont be much to look at, just some masking in a mold probably. It will be slow the next 6 weeks until it gets out of the mold then I will have something to take pictures of 🤞

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I made my first trip down from san jose airport to LAX rented a car took a nice drive up to Howard boats and back. All in all no lines at the airport or rental car and only 15 minutes of real LA traffic leaving and entering LA. So flying down shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Gene and Mike spent 3-1/2 hours or so with me going over as much stuff as I could think of. From small changes to the build sheet from the original approving gel colors, some small tweaks to the scheme, and seat back design. To alternate switch panels, battery switch, foot shower, tabs and stereo remote location etc. It was enough stuff I was fearful they might push back. When you have a lot of boats to build having someone try and re invent the wheel on basic stuff could be frowned upon I suppose.

Decided a NO GO on the windshield, can always be added later. Plus that freed up some money in the already wife approved budget so if I add less than the cost of the windshield I can tell my wife "Look Honey I cut costs"

They are not quite to taping out the mold but it is soon, so no in action shots this trip.
I did get a birds eye view shot of the shop, lots of dreams coming true!
MIKE SDS 5-24-4.jpg

Howard288_Recess

Reaction score
Congrats on the new build with Howard! I just got the email from Mike on Friday last week that we are next to go in the mold for our 288! When I go up to Howard I will definitely get some pictures of your build for you!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Congrats on the new build with Howard! I just got the email from Mike on Friday last week that we are next to go in the mold for our 288! When I go up to Howard I will definitely get some pictures of your build for you!

Congrats to you as well!
Like wise on pics, care to post the rendering?
That way I know which boat I am looking for!! or do you have a build thread started?