WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Home Depot is a ghost town

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Made a run to Home Depot for project material this morning. I was shocked to say the least. The parking lot was just about empty. Only about 1/10th of the cars that are typically there. Went about my business, shelves neat & fully stocked. Got to the cash register without anyone in line. Such a huge difference from the beginning of the year. Then I get the total for the lumber and the cost was higher than the homeless vagrants in the parking lot and downtown Honolulu. 4 each 4x4 and 2 4x6.....$180.00

I am wondering if people have pulled the plug on renovations because of the cost of things.

EC39CD43-484D-43AC-85DA-44D4E7F0D729.png

But at least the weather is nice. SMH

FFDD85F5-9C30-4DA3-8CF9-2BF0725941C8.jpeg

motormonkey

Reaction score
Im in the same position right now. Way to far into a reno to pull the plug. Lowe's I have found to be cheaper for materials. Its like, do you want to be shot in the leg or arm kinda comparison tho.

cofooter

Reaction score
I just went to Lowes and was shocked how packed it was mid-morning on a weekday. Place was a zoo. Probably all the Californians moving to Colorado!

NicPaus

Reaction score
Was at Torrance 1 yesterday. Slowest I have seen it since Pandemic started. Lumber is currently a lot cheaper at Lowes. I am building a deck currently for a customer. Ordering the Timber Tech through Jones Lumber but bought all the treated at Lowes.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
My 2 home depots are insane.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Seems like the shelves were bare for anything I wanted. Light switches, MAP gas, torches, garden pick ax.

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
Came real close to halting my Office renovation. We got the quote for the cabinets > over $9K

Its not that big or fancy. The cabinets are imported and not custom.

We have worked it down to $7500 and are probably going to do it as its that or stall for a year and not get my wife moved into her office. Still checking for other options as these are not exactly what we want but are reasonable.

Anybody have a guy on premade cabinets? More than happy to drive down if it makes sense. These are just basic, well built, no particle board stuff with a medium stain on the front. We are not actually that picky.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Came real close to halting my Office renovation. We got the quote for the cabinets > over $9K

Its not that big or fancy. The cabinets are imported and not custom.

We have worked it down to $7500 and are probably going to do it as its that or stall for a year and not get my wife moved into her office. Still checking for other options as these are not exactly what we want but are reasonable.

Anybody have a guy on premade cabinets? More than happy to drive down if it makes sense. These are just basic, well built, no particle board stuff with a medium stain on the front. We are not actually that picky.
I have heard people have good luck at Builders Surplus - if you have one that is close enough.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Made a run to Home Depot for project material this morning. I was shocked to say the least. The parking lot was just about empty. Only about 1/10th of the cars that are typically there. Went about my business, shelves neat & fully stocked. Got to the cash register without anyone in line. Such a huge difference from the beginning of the year. Then I get the total for the lumber and the cost was higher than the homeless vagrants in the parking lot and downtown Honolulu. 4 each 4x4 and 2 4x6.....$180.00

I am wondering if people have pulled the plug on renovations because of the cost of things.

But at least the weather is nice. SMH

Things are starting to slow there...my former Project Manager told me its much lower ticket items at this point as well as a lot of cancellations when we chatted a couple weeks ago. I have a bad feeling things there are about to take a dive... Some of the bigger name contractors are starting to slow down as well..permit lists are telling. We're going mid June, and I have to fix some stuff for our tenant...dreading how much it's going to cost at this point.

Meant to add.... Here in New Braunfels the HD has so much lumber it is stacked in every place they can stick it (the bay in front of the pro doors was full to the ceiling of 2x4's....plywood plentiful at 40-60$ a sheet :rolleyes: Price gouging in full effect.

Last edited:

grumpy88

Reaction score
Was at homedepot today and it was packed . Only one register open of course . In las vegas

Last edited:

Nordie

Reaction score
The wife and I went on Sunday and it was like a ghost town, but it was 8am on a Sunday also being Mother's Day. Usually my closest home depot is slammed

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score
The crowds at HD do seem smaller. But good luck finding what you need on the shelf. The pipeline isn't delivering like it used to and when it does we can expect more shockingly high prices

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Looks beautiful there! Do you want any help? :p

farmo83

Reaction score
I'm delaying rebuilding our fence due to everything. It's insane. For that amount of money I'll keep patching it.

HocusPocus

Stihl Outdoor Power Equip
Reaction score
We have a lumbar yard as part of our hardware store and even though the lumbar prices are crazy we are still selling more than our usual amount. We are having a hard time sourcing it, just to keep up.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Trades and GC’s are turning down work in Dallas. Things are off the chain busy.

My buddy has been in a hotel since the end of February, his house was damaged in the TX Snowmageddon and he can’t get anyone to renovate his home…and it’s a $100k job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Was at Torrance 1 yesterday. Slowest I have seen it since Pandemic started. Lumber is currently a lot cheaper at Lowes. I am building a deck currently for a customer. Ordering the Timber Tech through Jones Lumber but bought all the treated at Lowes.

We have noticed the same. HD is screwing the public on wood.

It seems the "Lets make up for the pandemic shortfalls NOW"....Ready set go.

Between that and fueling 5 trucks I'm not a very happy guy currently.

NicPaus

Reaction score
We have noticed the same. HD is screwing the public on wood.

It seems the "Lets make up for the pandemic shortfalls NOW"....Ready set go.

Between that and fueling 5 trucks I'm not a very happy guy currently.
I quoted based on the price from HD and bought from Lowes and Jones. Still this small deck going to be 20k all said and done. The swim spa that used to be 17k is now 35k they bought.

I have 4 of the rigs topped off. Have to fill 1 work truck this AM still. 60 gallons of diesel .

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Home Depot and Lowe’s stocks are both doing great

C-2

Reaction score
Was at homedepot today and it was packed . Only one register open of course .

X2
I was chasing tabs of chlorine and went to Lowes - slammed, so then I went to HD, which was also slammed yesterday morning. (Riverside)

Last edited:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Home Depot doesn’t set the price of wood, the market does.

This chart is for lumber futures YTD…

IMG_6882.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

arch stanton

Reaction score
all of the post about how busy places are is more helpful if you include a city
in Escondido seemed busy as ever and the pricing
3A3AC77E-C782-4247-9EC8-2AACD7E86D5E.jpeg
BD7A13C4-8FB3-4A11-A28C-ABFC73CBE063.jpeg
79F837AE-7D13-402A-B3E8-3D6F49894F64.jpeg

NicPaus

Reaction score
The last 2 HD I went to are top sales and have always been. Torrance and Marina Del Rey i think it's on Jefferson. Both have been million dollar sales a day stores for years. Imagine last year probably 2 million a day.

Both Lowes in Torrance had record sales last year.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
I'm putting new decora outlets, switches, and new cover plates to go with the new painted walls, and neither HD or Lowes has them - I had to go through Amazon to get them.

DLC

Reaction score
I try to spend as much as I can at Home Depot, I dont even go to Lowe’s or Ace anymore because they suck!

@DWC

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
My Home depot is a madhouse every time I am there.
Mine too. Needed some hinges yesterday and chose to get them at WallyWorld for convenience sake, drive there, in/out and back home in 16minutes. Can take that long just checking out at HD sometimes.

hallett21

Reaction score
The last 2 HD I went to are top sales and have always been. Torrance and Marina Del Rey i think it's on Jefferson. Both have been million dollar sales a day stores for years. Imagine last year probably 2 million a day.

Both Lowes in Torrance had record sales last year.

Fuck Marina del Rey Home Depot lol. What a hell hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I try to spend as much as I can at Home Depot, I dont even go to Lowe’s or Ace anymore because they suck!

@DWC

I know right. I think that we need to be sure that Don knows we expect a beer or two for funding his retirement. :looking:

Reactions: DLC