WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

How loud is your system

USMC2010

Reaction score
how do you follow this rule? im building a new system and all i care about is clean and crisp with a nice deep base
dont need it to be super loud but definitely want to hear it at 50+mph
For the simple adjustments just follow the directions in the link I shared, or hope your tuning shop does.
Brand doesn't matter, the basics are what they are.

USMC2010

Reaction score
how do you follow this rule? im building a new system and all i care about is clean and crisp with a nice deep base
dont need it to be super loud but definitely want to hear it at 50+mph
For example, my 10" subs were rated at 250w RMS which was what the sub amp putt out, could I run 1000w into them? Sure, but at a cost if not properly setup. I am certainly not an expert stereo installer but I do know signals, as stated, bottom line, they are what they are and if clipped....it's bad no matter how loud it is and the ear cannot hear what a scope sees.

Dirtbag

Reaction score
For example, my 10" subs were rated at 250w RMS which was what the sub amp putt out, could I run 1000w into them? Sure, but at a cost if not properly setup. I am certainly not an expert stereo installer but I do know signals, as stated, bottom line, they are what they are and if clipped....it's bad no matter how loud it is and the ear cannot hear what a scope sees.
is it all in the setup? or do you purchase it a certain way? meaning how the shop installs or how i buy it?

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Amplifier Level Setting Guide – JL Audio Help Center - Search Articles (zendesk.com)

I did it myself, it isn't that difficult. I took an o'scope home from work. downloaded a sub frequency (50hz) and a main amp frequency(1khz) from the jl website to my phone. Disconnected all speakers, went to 75% max volume on the head unit (I could have looked for its max volume too but didn't).
Instead of using the voltmeter readings like in the link I shared, which are pretty darn close, I used the scope to set the gain for max without clipping. You cannot really go wrong with the voltmeter readings instead of an o'scope. I did compare the two and they were very close.
My stereo was all JL, only 450 watts into 6 7.7 components and 250 watts into 2 10" subs. I wasn't that audible outside the boat because of speaker placement but I could hear my music at any speed and actually ripple the water outside the boat with the right tunes.
Right before I sold my boat I put a label under the stereo to not go above 34 on volume.
It didn't take me that long other than me being very specific on my adjustments and reconnecting the speakers to the right output connections. I had it all done in one evening in the garage.

I know that was long winded, blame the rum, LOL. That being said, get a multimeter and follow the link instructions and you really can't go wrong. If ANYONEsays they can tune an amp by ear, they are just plain full of crap. You cannot beat an actual measurment.
So this is solely to set the gains, which also seems you’re tuning the head unit to the amps. Does this process do anything for where to set the crossover setting.
Seems you’re tuning to the amps and head unit not the speaker.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Who cares. Also cracks me up in for sale ads for boats they list the stereo specs as the main feature of the boat, and not much else about it. I guess that’s the most important thing to buyers these days, at least those that prefer sitting in their boat all day.

When all you do is idle to the channel and park there all day, yes.

USMC2010

Reaction score
So this is solely to set the gains, which also seems you’re tuning the head unit to the amps. Does this process do anything for where to set the crossover setting.
Crossover settings should be based on speaker limitations, no reason to even attempt to send frequencies to something that doesn't support them. Of course it's also an important setting and should be set first but in my opinion amp gain is where the bulk of errors are done but what do I know, I'm not a professional installer.

Riverfamlee

Reaction score
If you're running 3 or 4 amps (I think you had 4) look into a DSP. I went with the Rockford DSR-1 . You can set everything via bluetooth, you can turn off all speakers and tune one at a time. Listen to the speaker you want while you tune without the others drowning it out. I kept putting it off and what a mistake that was. You can set gains (recommend you set them first as discussed ), crossovers, EQ, volume up/down per speaker, sub level and on and on.

mbrown2

Reaction score
How do you have that wired in, mounted and exhaust??? More details and pictures please!?
Don't have any....sold that boat long ago. It is a gas genny so it does not plug into anything. It provides power to the APS 75 power supply which sends power to the system when the genny is on.....DCB fabbed the exhaust...

jones performance

Reaction score
If you're running 3 or 4 amps (I think you had 4) look into a DSP. I went with the Rockford DSR-1 . You can set everything via bluetooth, you can turn off all speakers and tune one at a time. Listen to the speaker you want while you tune without the others drowning it out. I kept putting it off and what a mistake that was. You can set gains (recommend you set them first as discussed ), crossovers, EQ, volume up/down per speaker, sub level and on and on.

best done using an RTA with a mic. my opinion a dsp is overkill and not necessary in most boats.

Nordie

Reaction score
Work Truck...
20210512_121147.jpg

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Don't have any....sold that boat long ago. It is a gas genny so it does not plug into anything. It provides power to the APS 75 power supply which sends power to the system when the genny is on.....DCB fabbed the exhaust...

Was the exhaust the braided hose with an fittings?

28Eliminator

Reaction score
8 kicker 6.25’s
2 Kenwood 12” subs
JL 800-8 D
RF 750D mono

All in the cockpit. Sounds OK.

guest hs

Reaction score
Will you wrap the speakers by the engine with the silver wrap tape stuff?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
I think I’d just water cool the exhaust if you are going to go through all the trouble..

Doesn’t work if you want an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. The header blankets work great. Just ran the boat on the hose for 20 mins. 200-250 deg temps on header blanket. 110-120 ok anything else now.

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
IMG_4011.jpg IMG_3986.jpg
My setup is pretty legit. Kicker subs, with Hertz and Focal mids and highs powered by 2 JL 900/5's but I'm in the process of moving into to JL's VXI amp line for the dsp and system tuning abilities. The OL is like a car making it easy to have incredible sound imaging. I could care less about outside sound as long as it's loud and clean for triple digit speeds 🤟, It is easily capable of bouncing a quarter off the deck when the bass hits. Got to love carbon stiff boats🤣

farmo83

Reaction score
Long time family friend had a spectra built in 81. I remember thinking the system in that thing was awesome when I was kid. I looked at a few years ago and it had a 100 watt amp about the size of 2 VCRs and 4 6x9's. My how technology has changed.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
View attachment 1001996 View attachment 1001997
My setup is pretty legit. Kicker subs, with Hertz and Focal mids and highs powered by 2 JL 900/5's but I'm in the process of moving into to JL's VXI amp line for the dsp and system tuning abilities. The OL is like a car making it easy to have incredible sound imaging. I could care less about outside sound as long as it's loud and clean for triple digit speeds 🤟, It is easily capable of bouncing a quarter off the deck when the bass hits. Got to love carbon stiff boats🤣

a new deaf of the desert folks

jones performance

Reaction score
View attachment 1001996 View attachment 1001997

🤘🤘probably the first ive heard of using hertz and focal in a boat. the new jl vx stuff is pretty sweet, got to see them last year at knowledgefest.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Doesn’t work if you want an oxygen sensor in the exhaust. The header blankets work great. Just ran the boat on the hose for 20 mins. 200-250 deg temps on header blanket. 110-120 ok anything else now.

I was referring to the exhaust on a generator setup in the boat.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Bitch I got K plates to trim my dick out of the water to get on plane lol
Lol.......settle down Tommy Lee...if yo dick was so big, you'd be needing a bigger ride than a jet boat. If not, your schlong would be riding shotgun. 😂😂😂

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Lol.......settle down Tommy Lee...if yo dick was so big, you'd be needing a bigger ride than a jet boat. If not, your schlong would be riding shotgun. 😂😂😂

How’s thirty five feet of number one work for ya? lol
DA2C4912-5F9E-4D8B-A805-ACD746F2DFCC.jpeg

nowski

Reaction score

Can someone please school me on the purdy light thing because this old guy doesn't get it???

Is it a driveway thing, garage thing, an after hours launch ramp thing, makes my system louder thing, a lam thing, makes my boat faster thing or helps me get chicks thing???

Pictures of hot chicks gathered around boat thing a plus...

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
My last boat would rival any wake board boat and run full tilt for over 8 hours. Its all about the batteries.

I get that batteries will add time but are there other advantages? I mean isn’t 12-14 volts 12-14 volts?

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Can someone please school me on the purdy light thing because this old guy doesn't get it???

Is it a driveway thing, garage thing, an after hours launch ramp thing, makes my system louder thing, a lam thing, makes my boat faster thing or helps me get chicks thing???

Pictures of hot chicks gathered around boat thing a plus...

for you older guys, I’m 40 btw

It’s a discotech

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
I get that batteries will add time but are there other advantages? I mean isn’t 12-14 volts 12-14 volts?
Depending on how crazy you go stereo wise meaning how much amp power your going to run will be your first step. Stay with a 12v system it's a boat so keep it simple. You'll likely buy a class d amp and depending on it's efficiency and power output you'll be able to figure the amount of battery power needed for the amperage being pulled by the amplifiers. Now something trick like a class a amplifier would require an extensive battery bank for the amps alone.....but unrivaled in sound quality and speaker control truly next level.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Depending on how crazy you go stereo wise meaning how much amp power your going to run will be your first step. Stay with a 12v system it's a boat so keep it simple. You'll likely buy a class d amp and depending on it's efficiency and power output you'll be able to figure the amount of battery power needed for the amperage being pulled by the amplifiers. Now something trick like a class a amplifier would require an extensive battery bank for the amps alone.....but unrivaled in sound quality and speaker control truly next level.

I run 3 amps,

2 amps that do 100 watts x 2 channels
1 sub amp class D mono at 1400 watts peak

2 group 31 deep cycle batteries

When I turn up to my preferred loud volume about 75%, I can see the volts drop as the bass hits hard even with a huge charger on board charging it in the hangar. It still sounds great but you can see that split second drop, I guess i could get a capacitor but not sure how safe that is in a marine environment

jackducan07

Banned
Reaction score
I'm very happy with this iRV Technology iRV34 Wall Mount RV Stereo: Installation was easy, no surprises and the unit works as expected. Wiring diagram on the unit and in the manual easy to follow, equipped with an HDMI input, simple to install and connect with several devices through Bluetooth,...

Last edited:

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
I run 3 amps,

2 amps that do 100 watts x 2 channels
1 sub amp class D mono at 1400 watts peak

2 group 31 deep cycle batteries

When I turn up to my preferred loud volume about 75%, I can see the volts drop as the bass hits hard even with a huge charger on board charging it in the hangar. It still sounds great but you can see that split second drop, I guess i could get a capacitor but not sure how safe that is in a marine environment
Don't waste $$$$ on a cap it's just the nature of the beast. More battery, alternator, bigger power, grounds (the big three)