WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

New Member - Headed to the River

jetski559

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Live out on the Central Coast of CA and headed to Needles for a river trip with the boat. It's just a basic family boat, 2008 Glastron GT205, Volvo IO, 220HP. I know, I know, not a hot rod cool boat like most members have here haha what can I say.... We mostly boat around lakes around here and I have quite a bit of boating experience, but will be boating on the river for the first time in a couple weeks.

I read on another forum it is 'bad news' going above the bridge at Needles (better to stay south) if you don't want to lose your prop.

I can trim my engine up until I get below the bridge, but the house we rented is basically about 4.5 miles up river from the Needles bridge.

Should I be worried? I know there are sandbars in the river, so if I got 5mph or less should I be fine? I think we plan to at least boat down to Topock and Pirates to check it out. Probably not planning on going north of our rental house.

First time on the river with a boat and a bit nervous, trying not to be a cocky 'know it all'. Just looking for some tips / advice / encouragement, etc.

Thanks!!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
Hi guys, new member here. Live out on the Central Coast of CA and headed to Needles for a river trip with the boat. It's just a basic family boat, 2008 Glastron GT205, Volvo IO, 220HP. I know, I know, not a hot rod cool boat like most members have here haha what can I say.... We mostly boat around lakes around here and I have quite a bit of boating experience, but will be boating on the river for the first time in a couple weeks.

I read on another forum it is 'bad news' going above the bridge at Needles (better to stay south) if you don't want to lose your prop.

I can trim my engine up until I get below the bridge, but the house we rented is basically about 4.5 miles up river from the Needles bridge.

Should I be worried? I know there are sandbars in the river, so if I got 5mph or less should I be fine? I think we plan to at least boat down to Topock and Pirates to check it out. Probably not planning on going north of our rental house.

First time on the river with a boat and a bit nervous, trying not to be a cocky 'know it all'. Just looking for some tips / advice / encouragement, etc.

Thanks!!

If i was you i would launch and float down the river to the bridge for your first time. Right around the area your describing there is a rock bar right in the middle of the river that when the water is high it has about 10” of water over it. Not sure if you know where the palms resort is but above that there are some things you need to know where they are or you will have a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jetski559

Reaction score
If i was you i would launch and float down the river to the bridge for your first time. Right around the area your describing there is a rock bar right in the middle of the river that when the water is high it has about 10” of water over it. Not sure if you know where the palms resort is but above that there are some things you need to know where they are or you will have a bad day.

OHHHH BOY!!!

We are staying in a house 1.5 miles upriver from the Palms...
Not good.
Sounds like I might want to just drive down and launch at Jack Smith? Even though my wife will kill me for being a 'wussy' and not just launching at our rental house (has it's own ramp...)

Is there a map or book or something I should get, sorry to bother you guys...

Rbcconst

Reaction score
OHHHH BOY!!!

We are staying in a house 1.5 miles upriver from the Palms...
Not good.
Sounds like I might want to just drive down and launch at Jack Smith? Even though my wife will kill me for being a 'wussy' and not just launching at our rental house (has it's own ramp...)

Is there a map or book or something I should get, sorry to bother you guys...

There is a newer app call safe waters that you can down load. It does show some things but not all. If your only 1.5 up from the palms i would launch there as long as its deep enough and i would float down past the palms and probably to the bridge. Just turn the motor on to move if your going towards the shore. It wont take long and you will be able to get a great view of whats happening. You can also mark out things on the safe waters app and can look out for them on future runs. I for damn sure would not be going up river from where your at however im sure there are plenty that would.

Dont worry about bothering anyone, helping out and sharing knowledge is a large part of why everyone is here

DWC

Reaction score
It’s tough but not impossible. You’re probably going to have to wait until noon-ish to launch from upriver. Jack Smith will be fine earlier but obviously a bit of a drive.
The site attached has water release levels but figuring out when it gets down to that part of the river can be a bit tricky. You’ll be better off watching from the beach.

8C889077-2915-4316-865F-6C48D32F6746.jpeg

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score
Try the 'Below Needles Bridge' on the U. S. Bureau of Reclamation, Lower Colorado Region. Hourly data.

The water is let out at Davis Dam, 4600 cfs is about 1 unit. Note the hour of release.

Below Needles Bridge is the next stream gage. Takes several hours... often 12 hours or more.

R.S. 41 is the next stream gage, in the gorge on the way to Havasu, +/- 18 hours or more.

Easy to pull up the info on your phone.

Dan'l

jetski559

Reaction score
Thanks for the river gauge info, as well as the safe waters app.

I will drift down from our rental house to the bridge to suss some things out.

I'm showing a 16in draft on my boat with the engine up and around 32in with engine down.

If anyone else has specific known bad spots from the Needles bridge upriver 5 miles, let me know and I'll specifically watch for those!

Thank you guys! (heading out in a few days!)

MV Mike

Reaction score
You'll be fine,Go slow and read the water
Rough water runs deep!!!!

Rbcconst

Reaction score
We are having lunch at pirates now. The gorge was awesome. All is going well. Thanks guys!!

The 19th hole and rainbow cafe have better food and prob half the price. Pirates is still a good experience.

If your looking to bbq best buy meat market has the best carne asada and meats. There is a small mexican food place right nextdoor thats good.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
The 19th hole and rainbow cafe have better food and prob half the price. Pirates is still a good experience.

If your looking to bbq best buy meat market has the best carne asada and meats. There is a small mexican food place right nextdoor thats good.

Best buy is in mohave valley.

jetski559

Reaction score

Thanks for the tips!

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
Third post from this “new member” above posting a link that you should NOT click

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Third post from this “new member” above posting a link that you should NOT click

I have never clicked "report" on any post, ever, but first time for everything I guess! I have reported all 3 or 4 posts I just read from that screen name🤷🏻‍♂️