WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cleaver vs Max 5 props

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s take on the Merc cleavers? They are speedy at $6k each. Worth it?

I have not tested one yet but am told it will add a few mph to my top end. Not sure it’s worth it as I am not sure I will run full speed much. I just want to find out what this is capable of ..... you know, for bench racing purposes.

I have a set of 32 max 5’s and have not tested those yet at full speed.

I can get a loaner set of 34’s Cleavers to try them so there is no downside to trying them.

I have twin 400’s on a 27 Speedster. Good news is EB did all the prop testing already so they recommend a 34 cleaver and a 32 max 5 for me. That should be pretty damn close. So no real need to test and tune.

I dunno. That’s a lot of cheddar. I am faced with a decision now but will probably defer to a later date after I have a chance to drive this more

Last edited:

KingofBeers

Reaction score
What’s everyone’s take on the Merc cleavers? They are speedy at $6k each. Worth it?

I have not tested one yet but am told it will add a few mph to my top end. Not sure it’s worth it as I am not sure I will run full speed much. I just want to find out what this is capable of ..... you know, for bench racing purposes.

I have a set of 32 max 5’s and have not tested those yet at full speed.

I can get a loaner set of 34’s Cleavers to try them so there is no downside to trying them.

I have twin 400’s on a 27 Speedster. Good news is EB did all the prop testing already so they recommend a 34 cleaver and a 32 max 5 for me. That should be pretty damn close. So no real need to test and tune.

I dunno. That’s a lot of cheddar. I am faced with a decision now but will probably defer to a later date after I have a chance to drive this more
If you run the cleavers and like them I have a right hand 15.25"x 34p I ran on my single 300r that id make you a great deal on. I changed gear ratios in lower and 34 is too much prop now.

MrMayhem

Reaction score
I have run 32 and 34 Marc cleavers on my 28SS. Ran the 32 Max 5 as well. Cleavers about 2 MPH faster. Less hole shot though.
My suggestion.. Call up Chad Hill and get his 32 cleavers. 34 for winter and light load. Same performance as Merc cleavers for half the price. Best bang for the buck for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Dewald 5 bld cleavers are worth a try. I’ve run many different brands and these seem to be rt there with Mercs.

My tank with 300s is WAY different from a new 27 Speedster with 400s. DeWalds are by far the best for our big bitch.
I hope Eliminator told you to bury the props as deep as possible on take off. Seems ALL 400 center pod boats want the props buried or else they all seem to break prop shafts.
Best of luck, gorgeous boat.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
I didn’t realize there were other options. now I am really confused.

I found a few threads on the Hills. Seems like a good option

I want to try to maximize what I have so far. I am not too thrilled paying $13,000 for two Merc props.

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
^^^^^^^ Could have sworn you only run Merc props ALL the time so when u break a propshaft mother Mercury will hopefully cover it under warranty.......

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
oh right.... that is correct. I ONLY have those Merc Max 5’s......

my bad.....

I never contacted Hill or Dewald.

^^^^^^^ Could have sworn you only run Merc props ALL the time so when u break a propshaft mother Mercury will hopefully cover it under warranty.......

I think I need to talk to Drew about different props choices.........errrrr I meant factory replacemeant props.....

Last edited:

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Anyone else with a 400r motor have any first hand prop experiences they would like to share

MrMayhem

Reaction score
Anyone else with a 400r motor have any first hand prop experiences they would like to share

Trying to figure out what you are looking for?. EB said to run 34 Cleavers and 32 Max5’s. I agree with that. I also mentioned that the Hill cleavers are damn good stuff. My experience is “maybe” 1mph slower than Mercury, at a fraction of the cost.
Not sure what other info you might need?

Fastdadtsmith

Reaction score
I know where two are in the lake from a similar boat as yours. Both RH so you'll have to buy the LH to match.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Now I am wondering about the Hill Cleavers.

Thanks for the input

Did you run the Hills?

That sounds like a good alternative...

Trying to figure out what you are looking for?. EB said to run 34 Cleavers and 32 Max5’s. I agree with that. I also mentioned that the Hill cleavers are damn good stuff. My experience is “maybe” 1mph slower than Mercury, at a fraction of the cost.
Not sure what other info you might need?

Last edited:

MrMayhem

Reaction score
I have the 34 Mercs that came with the boat. Light load, cool weather props. After testing, for summer weather went with Hill 32 cleavers VS the Max 5 because they are a couple mph faster.
Hope that helps.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
Cleavers will get you very slight increase on speed and less efficiency on reverse.

Are the clevers 4 blade?

McKay

Reaction score
One of my best bud's upgraded from 400 to 450's and has a set of 5 blade Hill cleavers he will sell. Let me know if interested. I'll get the specs. 801-706-1701 I'm thinking they were 32 pitch. Hardly no hours on them.

McKay

Reaction score
Here are the specs. 15.25" 30pitch 15 degree pitch. Newer version about 1 year old with less than 10 hours.

McKay

Reaction score
434CC008-0B45-4298-AEC4-B0EC6FEFBB7E.jpeg

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Thanks man.

I assumed you had tried the Hills. But I wasn't 100% sure from your previous post above.

This information is exactly what I was looking for.....

I have the 34 Mercs that came with the boat. Light load, cool weather props. After testing, for summer weather went with Hill 32 cleavers VS the Max 5 because they are a couple mph faster.
Hope that helps.