WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Trying to hire people... wtf

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Finally, for the first time in 5 months, we have been able to pause our Indeed ads. All it took was raising our starting wage to over $16.00 (main requirements are being able to show up and count to 36) and letting people work almost anytime they want ("you need a 2-hour break on Thursdays - OK, fine").

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Finally, for the first time in 5 months, we have been able to pause our Indeed ads. All it took was raising our starting wage to over $16.00 (main requirements are being able to show up and count to 36) and letting people work almost anytime they want ("you need a 2-hour break on Thursdays - OK, fine").

I think that's going to be the new normal. People have been getting paid $15 an hour for a year to do nothing.

I have watched alot of videos with smart guys on inflation and they basically said we aren't going to be able to walk that back. $15 will be the new minimum wage.

Boat 405

Reaction score
Time for these lazy tax takers to get back to work. Gonna be interesting when the need to get a job to pay for that house and toys they bought while sitting on there asses for a year. Bottom line, if you want a job right now you can find one no problem. I love how all of the governments "solutions" to the problems now, are really their shitty problems they created in the first place.

I'm betting between, unemployment benefits being cut, housing foreclosure and eviction moratoriums going away in June things should get exciting. Not to mention Biden is rolling disaster every day, and inflation is out of control. Guys who want to work can't get supplies to do the work becasue people haven't been around working to produce them in the last year.

Example 1.

Husband and Wife both get laid off work because of governments response to pandemic. Been sitting at home not working collecting unemployment benefits for the past year. They don't pay mortgage or rent because of moratoriums put into place. Now they basically have $2400 each every month and haven't paid their bills, getting stir crazy in the house they go out and buy a new truck, boat, toyhauler, rzrs, jet skis. Come June 19th, their benefits get cut, the eviction process begins and in the next 3-6 months they are screwed.

Putting us out to october/ november timeframe to buckle up...

EmpirE231

Reaction score
ran and indeed ad for a few weeks.... 1st interview no showed, 2nd was ehhhh 3rd was decent so we said lets do this. She starts Monday, so we'll see if she shows up. I've hired people before and they never show up on the start day... no calls etc.

on another note, needed my house windows cleaned... called a company, and they guy starts off with a rant of how he can't find anyone to work... he's solo... doing it for 35 years, and first time ever he can't find anyone to work.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
I think that's going to be the new normal. People have been getting paid $15 an hour for a year to do nothing.

I have watched alot of videos with smart guys on inflation and they basically said we aren't going to be able to walk that back. $15 will be the new minimum wage.
Yeah, even at $16.00, we get them up to at least $18.00 within a couple of months. We have had to push everybody above them up as well to keep up.

77charger

Reaction score
MOst i have talked too say if you will show up you have a job.My old place i worked in ca cant find anyone it was hard enough before and got busy.Calls me to go back to work often so i will travel to ca work wed through saturday come home get paid very well for it too.Plus i can still work days i want.

Hard to do every week though so i may do it every other week.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
ran and indeed ad for a few weeks.... 1st interview no showed, 2nd was ehhhh 3rd was decent so we said lets do this. She starts Monday, so we'll see if she shows up. I've hired people before and they never show up on the start day... no calls etc.

on another note, needed my house windows cleaned... called a company, and they guy starts off with a rant of how he can't find anyone to work... he's solo... doing it for 35 years, and first time ever he can't find anyone to work.

I have found it very frustrating hiring entry level girls to do front office stuff for the last 1o years. We have gotten lucky as well with 2 solid girls over that period as well.

Most youngsters are a nightmare. We have had girls scared to pick up the phone and call clients and have had other girls just quit on a whim because you wont' give them the 3 weeks off they want to go on a family European vacation after starting 3 weeks prior. Daddy basically says hunny its fine just quit i'll handle the car lease payment for you and you can try for a new job when we get home...lol

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Yeah, even at $16.00, we get them up to at least $18.00 within a couple of months. We have had to push everybody above them up as well to keep up.

I think there are a ton of entry level positions available and a generation of people that think they are too good to get there hands dirty or to work at that scale. The competition for higher paying jobs is pretty fierce with a ton of applicants for very few positions.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I have found it very frustrating hiring entry level girls to do front office stuff for the last 1o years. We have gotten lucky as well with 2 solid girls over that period as well.

Most youngsters are a nightmare. We have had girls scared to pick up the phone and call clients and have had other girls just quit on a whim because you wont' give them the 3 weeks off they want to go on a family European vacation after starting 3 weeks prior. Daddy basically says hunny its fine just quit i'll handle the car lease payment for you and you can try for a new job when we get home...lol

Yeah I bet! prob especially tough out in the OC!! here in the IE, daddy is not paying no lease payment lol

finding a good entry level person is tough, but sometimes you get a solid! I like being able to train someone to do things our way.... so they aren't already tainted by the industry. We've gotten lucky over the years and some worked their way up to being solid agents.

One time a hired a guy that looked super solid... early-mid twenties... showed up to the interview with a suit on, interviewed great. First day on the Job after some basic training we told him he could answer some calls and just transfer to someone.... after 2 calls, he went into the bathroom, had a panic attack, told me he had to leave and never came back.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I've seen some McDonalds offering 17/hr?

we've reached the point of no return...... expect less jobs, more automation and $12 happy meals.

Wedgy

Reaction score
Should've had Charmin in the Shitter.

Read once upon a time, McDonalds produces more Minority Millionaire's than any other corporation...

It was a long time ago.

EB3

Reaction score
My business has 85 open positions. Hourly positions starting at $15. All different types of work and shifts. We don’t have the application flow to fill them. People in this pay range don’t want to work. This unemployment bullshit needs to be cut off. God damn government tit. There are plenty of jobs out there.

For the people on here with available jobs and trying to hire, what are you experiencing?

No real issue with higher level salaried positions. We’ve picked up a few great hires on that level.
Experiencing the same issue here in Brea- have been looking for a person for shipping for past 6 months - placed ads on different sites and had 2 people respond ( yes that's 2 people in 6 months ) and then were no shows- all this free stuff is going to drive small business out of business - and now child tax credit is going to be starting in July and more free checks so people won't go back to work - this country was built on people working to sustain the economy - not people getting free hand outs- so sad to be experiencing this after building a small manufacturing business for 43 years .

Wedgy

Reaction score
Good point about the Child Tax Credit. It's not. Even the EIC isn't paid out monthly. That's just insanity. Oh, but the birthrate will go up, that's good for the economy...

Cobalt232

Reaction score

So true on the time off issue. Before hiring, we have employees read our handbook that outlines time off and more importantly time off blackout dates until they reach a certain time with the company.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Time for these lazy tax takers to get back to work. Gonna be interesting when the need to get a job to pay for that house and toys they bought while sitting on there asses for a year. Bottom line, if you want a job right now you can find one no problem. I love how all of the governments "solutions" to the problems now, are really their shitty problems they created in the first place.

I'm betting between, unemployment benefits being cut, housing foreclosure and eviction moratoriums going away in June things should get exciting. Not to mention Biden is rolling disaster every day, and inflation is out of control. Guys who want to work can't get supplies to do the work becasue people haven't been around working to produce them in the last year.

Example 1.

Husband and Wife both get laid off work because of governments response to pandemic. Been sitting at home not working collecting unemployment benefits for the past year. They don't pay mortgage or rent because of moratoriums put into place. Now they basically have $2400 each every month and haven't paid their bills, getting stir crazy in the house they go out and buy a new truck, boat, toyhauler, rzrs, jet skis. Come June 19th, their benefits get cut, the eviction process begins and in the next 3-6 months they are screwed.

Putting us out to october/ november timeframe to buckle up...

While the sit at home and get paid problem is real, and is affecting labor pool availability, I find it very hard to believe that any one, or couple, financed anything while on unemployment drawing combined $4800 a month before taxes.
That’s like $57K combined gross annually.
Pray tell, what lending institution is going to finance anyone for anything with no job and little to nothing down? Especially when already delinquent on bills and rent or mortgage as you suggest.
New truck, boat, sxs, jet skis, etc as you list are not bought by people on unemployment with any sort of financing. Lol
Now a covid loan is a different animal.
I know a guy who took $85k just because he was a 1099 employee. Plus he got unemployment even though no insurance was paid in his name.
He bought a truck cash.
Now that loan is due, and he is fucked because he was pretending to be retired but reality is about to slap the shit out of him. (Unless he dies before the money runs out..)

I drew unemployment for the term I was eligible for. Tried to find work the entire time and did get hired about a month after bennies expired. I never filed for anything extra or extended. It did its job for me, paid my bills, my rent and ate.

But the point is that I find it hard to believe anyone on unemployment financed anything.
It’s impossible.

Last edited:

4Waters

Reaction score
I have had 3 people I’ve hired not even show up on the first day now!!! 20$ an hour too
I run a concrete saw, sometimes I run equipment (backhoe, rollers, bobcats, front loader Cat 956), drive a dump truck tow equipment, form for concrete, lite concrete finishing. All for 22 an hour🤣. Looks like my promotion will be happening soon at least.

HotRod82

Reaction score
While the sit at hime and get paid problem is real, and is affecting labor pool availability, I find it very hard to believe that any one, or couple, financed anything while on unemployment drawing combined $4800 a month before taxes.
Pray tell, what lending institution is going to finance anyone for anything with no job and little to nothing down?
I know a guy who took $85k just because he was a 1099 employee. Plus he got unemployment even though no insurance was paid in his name.
He bought a truck cash.
Now that loan is due, and he is fucked because he was pretending to be retired but reality is about to slap the shit out of him. (Unless he dies before the money runs out..)

I drew unemployment for the term I was eligible for. Tried to find work the entire time and did get hired about a month after bennies expired. I never filed for anything extra or extended. It did its job for me, paid my bills, my rent and ate.

But the point is that I find it hard to believe anyone on unemployment financed anything.
It’s impossible.

True story ....A young couple, friends of ours, went into a furniture store looking to furnish their new house. They were turned down for financing due to their income to debt ratio. He remained employed through Covid, she lost her job at a local hospital due to Covid. They both have a good credit score but they are stretched a little thin with the new house. A few days later, same couple swings by our house to show off their new RZR. Many of the consumer loans out there just look at credit score, nothing else. No job? No problem. I'm sure there were many people out there during Covid buying stuff with no job, especially on CC's. People make terrible financial decisions, especially when they're stressed.
IMO - theres gonna be a ton of toys on the market in the near future as a result.

HotRod82

Reaction score
I run a concrete saw, sometimes I run equipment (backhoe, rollers, bobcats, front loader Cat 956), drive a dump truck tow equipment, form for concrete, lite concrete finishing. All for 22 an hour🤣. Looks like my promotion will be happening soon at least.
Dude if you're in socal you are underpaid by at least $10 /hr.....

Motor Boater

Reaction score
Some guys from my corporate office were visiting last week. They said there are 170 open positions at our parent company in the Pittsburgh area. That can’t get anyone to work.

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score

You are grossly underpaid. With your skills you should be making some lucky guy rich while he pays you at least 40+ an hour.

Hell get your equipment license, worth 50-80 an hour now, same deal, can't find anyone.

I was making $50 an hour as a tech before I opened my own shop.

Pretty sure I took a pay cut rofl! 🤪

Your ad here

Reaction score
You and I both.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
True story ....A young couple, friends of ours, went into a furniture store looking to furnish their new house. They were turned down for financing due to their income to debt ratio. He remained employed through Covid, she lost her job at a local hospital due to Covid. They both have a good credit score but they are stretched a little thin with the new house. A few days later, same couple swings by our house to show off their new RZR. Many of the consumer loans out there just look at credit score, nothing else. No job? No problem. I'm sure there were many people out there during Covid buying stuff with no job, especially on CC's. People make terrible financial decisions, especially when they're stressed.
IMO - theres gonna be a ton of toys on the market in the near future as a result.

There is that.
I’m hoping my debt will be erased right about the time all these crazy spenders go belly up.
Actually I know it will be erased because I’m on a schedule.
Ive shed $60K in debt in 2 1/2 years and didn’t work for 11 months during that time.
I won’t sell the Vette though! It’s my one splurge.
I do know this, I had all the crap before.
3 boats, couple Cummins, always a Camry or 2 and a couple Tahoe's 4 acres with all the buildings, orchard all at once.
Made plenty back then to pay for it all.
But I tell my younger coworkers and others to take heed, I AM the “cautionary tale”.
You never know when the rug will be pulled out.
I came through it ok personally, lost everything but the Miller because I absolutely refused that defeat.
When I became widowed I was flat broke, but had a paid for 02 Tahoe (still my daily driver) and a paid for Camry and the boat. That’s it. zero cash but I did still have a 6 figure job although I hadn’t earned in 6 months due to home Hispice.
So what do you do? Start over. That’s the only choice.
This time I will never put myself in that position again. From any vantage point.
I’ll never be broke and I’ll never be hurt
I can’t do that again.
I’ve shopped TV’s for over a year because I just can’t bring myself to pull out $900 for one, even though I’ve got plenty $ saved back up. Lol

Baja 252

Reaction score
Liberal, woke Ben and Jerry don’t even pay the $15 an hour they always preach about.

89EF3661-FCB9-46C4-BBC5-E3FE9B69A31A.jpeg

Wedgy

Reaction score
There is that.
I’m hoping my debt will be erased right about the time all these crazy spenders go belly up.
Ive shed $60K in debt in 2 1/2 years and didn’t work for 11 months during that time.
3 boats, couple Cummins, always a Camry or 2 and a couple Tahoe's 4 acres with all the buildings, orchard all at once.
But I tell my younger coworkers and others to take heed, I AM the “cautionary tale”.
I came through it ok personally, lost everything but the Miller because I absolutely refused that defeat.
When I became widowed I was flat broke, but had a paid for 02 Tahoe (still my daily driver) and a paid for Camry and the boat. That’s it. zero cash but I did still have a 6 figure job although I hadn’t earned in 6 months due to home Hispice.
This time I will never put myself in that position again. From any vantage point.
I can’t do that again.
I’ve shopped TV’s for over a year because I just can’t bring myself to pull out $900 for one, even though I’ve got plenty $ saved back up. Lol

Way to hang tough, WTG. That's alot of loss. Strength, Prayers, and may the Force be with you all along your new path forward. Setting an excellent example.

BK, Divorced 2011. Kept the SeaRay. 3 Vans, including 1 BBC. 2014 Tradesman Shorty almost paid for. Unsecured credit is finally done this month. Every step forward feels good and is a Victory.

Right behind you on the plan, with only the house left at the end of this year. Save On!

AzMandella

Reaction score
I will have to throw something into this discussion . First off when you talk about $15 hr you have to look at where you are talking about . That's not a bad starting pay for Tucson at a job you have no experience in . They want to talk about min wage . But the fact is minimum wage was for kids who starting out in the work force in HS at Mc D's and such . Now people think Mc D's should pay $ 20 hr to flip burgers . Something kids did to make money while in school . The fact is these are not jobs that were meant to support a family of four or so . The problem is lots of people have fucked there life off and made it so they are basically unemployable as far as good jobs go . Flipping burgers is not a career .

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Liberal, woke Ben and Jerry don’t even pay the $15 an hour they always preach about.

View attachment 1004166

most likely a franchise.... you know, that capitalistic structure those fat fuckers prob oppose!

I have a love / hate relationship with this company........ can't stand their politics, but lover their ice cream.

4Waters

Reaction score
You are grossly underpaid. With your skills you should be making some lucky guy rich while he pays you at least 40+ an hour.

Hell get your equipment license, worth 50-80 an hour now, same deal, can't find anyone.

That's my promotion, equipment operator.

City job I thought? Friend is similar job but holy shit he gets more paid days off than anyone I know. Plus good benefits.
Yup, city job.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
We are hiring a npi buyer (new product integration) @80k a year. I am the hiring manager for this one too

Your ad here

Reaction score
Dude if you're in socal you are underpaid by at least $10 /hr.....

Easier said than what is reality on pay and people that will actually hire. 4Waters and I have the same experience, from what I've seen on RDP. I'm in Az but the pay should be more than $22/hr for that skill level here. I've been job searching the past 2 years. No employers call back and you have to be a gift from god to get at least $25/hr. FWIW finish blade operators get paid $28-$31/hr.

boatnam2

Reaction score
My buddy was busting his ass doing maintenance/ construction at that mall off of the 15 frwy for a year making $16 hour pre covid, hasn't left the couch in almost 16 months bringing home way more than he did working. He said he hopes the gravy train never ends!

Boat 405

Reaction score
While the sit at home and get paid problem is real, and is affecting labor pool availability, I find it very hard to believe that any one, or couple, financed anything while on unemployment drawing combined $4800 a month before taxes.
Pray tell, what lending institution is going to finance anyone for anything with no job and little to nothing down? Especially when already delinquent on bills and rent or mortgage as you suggest.
New truck, boat, sxs, jet skis, etc as you list are not bought by people on unemployment with any sort of financing. Lol
He bought a truck cash.

It’s impossible.

Some places just look at credit score, nothing else, and stated income.

Boat 405

Reaction score
There is that.
I can’t do that again.
And the $60k a year thing looks really good if you aren't paying on a mortgage or paying rent, or your car payment due to deferrals or whatever, car insurance....

You're just paying for food, fuel, household items, and utilities (some people aren't even paying utilites because it's against the law to shut them off)

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
And the $60k a year thing looks really good if you aren't paying on a mortgage or paying rent, or your car payment due to deferrals or whatever, car insurance....

You're just paying for food, fuel, household items, and utilities (some people aren't even paying utilites because it's against the law to shut them off)

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if a lender is looking at annual income surely they are also looking at source?
I’m 59 years old. Ive NEVER gotten a loan where I did not have to have a job.
Credit cards different story.
But people who have enough credit to buy a new truck, boat, sxs, and jet ski out of boredom are not the kind of people who neglect their bills.
The people who are sitting on the couch neglecting rent and bills because they can are the people you see in multi colored Corolla’s with threadbare tires and a pile of garbage in the back seat.

Covid loans to LLC individuals I can see it happening (and have seen it) but unemployment?

Boat 405

Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if a lender is looking at annual income surely they are also looking at source?
I’m 59 years old. Ive NEVER gotten a loan where I did not have to have a job.
Credit cards different story.
But people who have enough credit to buy a new truck, boat, sxs, and jet ski out of boredom are not the kind of people who neglect their bills.
The people who are sitting on the couch neglecting rent and bills because they can are the people you see in multi colored Corolla’s with threadbare tires and a pile of garbage in the back seat.

Covid loans to LLC individuals I can see it happening (and have seen it) but unemployment?
Pre covid the 90 day plus deliquency rate of typical auto loans was over that of what we saw in 2008..

These delinquences aren't going away and point to a larger problem in the near future.
  • Roughly 9% of subprime auto borrowers were more than 60 days delinquent in the fourth quarter.
  • The government froze student-loan interest and evictions, but there's little relief for those with auto loans.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You guys realizes that Biden got his $15 min wage buy paying people to stay home. So now you need to pay employees more to get workers. It’s all in his plan.

Now with inflation going to hit your $$ is going to be worth nothing. Should take it out of the bank and buy something. The Canadian and Euro is increasing against the dollar. The US is the not the safe heaven for money right now.

With Joe wanting to dump more money in the US it’s going to get crazy. For the ones who remember the Carter years ( I was born 2 years in to his 1 term) Biden is worse.