WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Live on Starlink

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Got my dish yesterday, so far so good.

200mbps down / 25mbps up

Easiest install ever, once the dish is mounted (no aiming), you just power it up and it takes care of finding the sats itself. takes about 90 seconds and it's live.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Pretty good and will only get better as musk blankets our atmosphere with more satelites... but can also go down as more clients are added in your area. Hows latency? Thats the real performance measure.

command prompt, ping google.com, whats the ms?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Pretty good and will only get better as musk blankets our atmosphere with more satelites... but can also go down as more clients are added in your area. Hows latency? Thats the real performance measure.

command prompt, ping google.com, whats the ms?

35-45 ms

You do get some downtime occasionally, a few seconds every 15 minutes or so. You can see it in the stats on the dish, it's denoted as 'Beta Downtime'. Adds up to maybe 30 minutes or so in 24 hours.

we'll see how it does over the course of the next weeks as it maintains an established connection.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Just jumped onboard... no idea when I'll see it.. hope sooner than later

As long as some Chinese rocket doesn't take out any starlinks

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
35-45 ms

You do get some downtime occasionally, a few seconds every 15 minutes or so. You can see it in the stats on the dish, it's denoted as 'Beta Downtime'. Adds up to maybe 30 minutes or so in 24 hours.

we'll see how it does over the course of the next weeks as it maintains an established connection.

not too shabby. I had entered to participate but I think being in OC my chances are slim to none. It'll be interesting how they deal with all the streaming services. At the house in parker we're currently on satellite internet just because theres nothing else available and stuff like netflix just flat out is blocked. I also recently installed a cell booster so we can get signal from the closest antenna up on the hill and changed our phone plans to unlimited. So we mostly just use our phones for content.

sintax

Reaction score
35-45 ms

that is really crazy impressive all things considering. Hell early DSL latency wasnt that good most of the time.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Easiest install ever, once the dish is mounted (no aiming), you just power it up and it takes care of finding the sats itself. takes about 90 seconds and it's live.

So in theory you could take it with you if you went camping?

sintax

Reaction score
So in theory you could take it with you if you went camping?

yes and no...

technically its possible, but currently they're limiting you to a "grid" box. This means that if you leave outside of your designated box, you have to call them and have them re-provision your access.

the plan is to eventually have a service plan that would would wherever for this new breed of nomad RV folk.

gqchris

Reaction score
Anyone that needs port forwarding with this, be forewarned its not possible since they use GNAT.

In plain English, if you need to dial in from your phone to see your Cameras at home etc, its not possible. (Only affects your own DVR at home, not Ring etc.)

This is what is holding me up to roll out to a few of my business clients at the moment. If they move to IPv6 it will resolve it hopefully.

catmandu

Reaction score
I've also signed up for Starlink, 499.00 for the equipment and 99.00 a month for service. If it works good it will be well worth it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Anyone that needs port forwarding with this, be forewarned its not possible since they use GNAT.

In plain English, if you need to dial in from your phone to see your Cameras at home etc, its not possible. (Only affects your own DVR at home, not Ring etc.)

This is what is holding me up to roll out to a few of my business clients at the moment. If they move to IPv6 it will resolve it hopefully.

If you are using a cloud camera it's no problem. (Ring, etc)

IPv6 seems to be working as well. They are handing me a /56 subnet in the 2605 space. 👌

The IPV4 is definitely behind a NAT

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
not too shabby. I had entered to participate but I think being in OC my chances are slim to none. It'll be interesting how they deal with all the streaming services. At the house in parker we're currently on satellite internet just because theres nothing else available and stuff like netflix just flat out is blocked. I also recently installed a cell booster so we can get signal from the closest antenna up on the hill and changed our phone plans to unlimited. So we mostly just use our phones for content.

I think my bud has Sudden Link at Big Bend? Works perfectly with the router I picked for him.

@Racey

Is there any kind of bandwidth restriction? Do the throttle you if you go over a certain amount of use?

gqchris

Reaction score
If you are using a cloud camera it's no problem. (Ring, etc)

IPv6 seems to be working as well. They are handing me a /56 subnet in the 2605 space. 👌

The IPV4 is definitely behind a NAT
Thansk Racey. I was hoping for some real world feedback. I dont have too many clients that have traditional DVR's anymore, but ya never know!

sintax

Reaction score
I think my bud has Sudden Link at Big Bend? Works perfectly with the router I picked for him.

@Racey

Is there any kind of bandwidth restriction? Do the throttle you if you go over a certain amount of use?

its really tough to have a service like that these days and put restrictions on it. People are such data hogs these days, they simply couldn't go back. Beyond that, this service is marketed as a "broadband like" service where you can netflix and tele-work up a storm.

HTTP404

New But Seasoned Inmate #2002
Reaction score
My folks in Montana need this so fucking bad. They are signed up. Anyone know how they are rolling this out?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
My folks in Montana need this so fucking bad. They are signed up. Anyone know how they are rolling this out?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Not too shabby so far

Starlink-5-20-2021.png

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I pay $90/month for 400mbps down/20 up through spectrum.

It’s $300/month for 400mbps up

It’s the best I can get in my neighborhood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
its really tough to have a service like that these days and put restrictions on it. People are such data hogs these days, they simply couldn't go back. Beyond that, this service is marketed as a "broadband like" service where you can netflix and tele-work up a storm.
The majority of the Cox plans have a 1 TB limit on them. I haven't reached that 1 TB yet and I'm kinda surprised since I stream everything in our house.

Nord

HONKY
Reaction score
Got my dish yesterday, so far so good.

200mbps down / 25mbps up

What is total cost and monthly?

lenmann

Reaction score
$100 a month? Pricy isn't it?

Not really. I live in the sticks and the only available option is HughesNet satellite at $160 per month. That gets me a wopping 50 gig for 30 days at a real avg of about 5 mbps. If I exceed that I get throttled down to dial up speed.

Streaming not possible at those speeds and data limits.

I'm signed up for StarLink, cant wait to get it.

Blackmagic94

Reaction score
Im paying 120 a month for line of sight wireless internet at 15 gb down and like 1-2 up

So this is a huge value and asset for rural areas

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
At $100/month, does starlink have a data cap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

riverroyal

Reaction score
So it needs a dish. Can you take the dish with you, like on a RV?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So it needs a dish. Can you take the dish with you, like on a RV?

There are some reddit users that claim they have moved the service and taken the dish with them while travelling. For the time being you have to input where you are going to turn the dish on at the next spot. Currently the dish will not work while moving afaik.

Reason being for now is that you have to input an address so that satellites in the area will be scheduled to link up with you as they pass over.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
There are some reddit users that claim they have moved the service and taken the dish with them while travelling. For the time being you have to input where you are going to turn the dish on at the next spot. Currently the dish will not work while moving afaik.

Reason being for now is that you have to input an address so that satellites in the area will be scheduled to link up with you as they pass over.
Actually your data goes up to the satellite and down to a know ground spot. System is ready to accept a new spot. My son has moved his a couple times but not to far and it has always worked.
Also he set it up on Elons plane for a test.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Actually your data goes up to the satellite and down to a know ground spot. System is ready to accept a new spot. My son has moved his a couple times but not to far and it has always worked.
Also he set it up on Elons plane for a test.
Yep relays back to the ground station, but if you take your dish out of the "cell" the system won't schedule a link to you (per Starlink's explanation). I have no doubt they have the physical and technical ability for a totally mobile dish to work, it's just not available to the public right now.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
If you are in BFE, and no other option, this is a steal. We were paying $80 a month for service that we were only using on weekends, that wasn’t available most of the time we we there. Long time ago, I learned there was “No Free Lunch”, live with it.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Anyone with Starlink experience this?

Ars Technica: Starlink dishes go into “thermal shutdown” once they hit 122° Fahrenheit.

No problems for me, it was 115+ the last few days and I did speed checks at the height of the heat, 200+mbps no problem.

I have my dish mounted about 8 feet above the roof surface so I'm not getting radiant heat from below reflected off the roof.

Dish uptime right now is about 10 days, I'm assuming the last downtime was a firmware reboot as there weren't heat issues 10 days ago anywhere near the last few days.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
So a couple months in and it's working pretty well. Speeds are pretty consistent 200+, sometimes up to 350mbps

We had some crazy rain the other night, it dropped my speeds to about 50mbps in the middle of an absolute gnarly downpour, I'm talking one of those desert flash flood downpours, Even slowed to 50 it is still 2x faster than my DSL was.

During what i'd call "normal rain" that same night the speeds were around 150.

So while inclement weather does have some effect, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near catastrophic.

We are down to about 5 minutes per 24 hours of "downtime", either no satellite in range or just normal 'beta' downtime. This doesn't come all at once, it's spread out throughout the day, a few seconds here and there.

Flatsix66

Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I'll do anything to get away from Suddenlink. I ordered Starlink for Havasu a few months ago and have not heard back. Last weekend I heard about someone that moved to T-Mobile home internet service, $60 a month including all taxes and fees...and they have service at my address in Havasu, so I may give them a shot.

sintax

Reaction score
So a couple months in and it's working pretty well. Speeds are pretty consistent 200+, sometimes up to 350mbps

We had some crazy rain the other night, it dropped my speeds to about 50mbps in the middle of an absolute gnarly downpour, I'm talking one of those desert flash flood downpours, Even slowed to 50 it is still 2x faster than my DSL was.

During what i'd call "normal rain" that same night the speeds were around 150.

So while inclement weather does have some effect, it doesn't seem to be anywhere near catastrophic.

We are down to about 5 minutes per 24 hours of "downtime", either no satellite in range or just normal 'beta' downtime. This doesn't come all at once, it's spread out throughout the day, a few seconds here and there.

all in all, thats wildly impressive compared to all existing technologies.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
all in all, thats wildly impressive compared to all existing technologies.

No doubt, and as of right now the system is operating on about 900 active satellites, they have 1500 up but 600 of those are very recent launches and are still spreading out and positioning into their orbits. They already have FCC approval for 12,000 satellites, and have submitted for permission to place another 30,000 of them on top of that for a total of 42,000 satellites eventually.

DaveH

Reaction score
Im paying 120 a month for line of sight wireless internet at 15 gb down and like 1-2 up

So this is a huge value and asset for rural areas
15 GIG? as joe would say......C'mon man...........

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
15 GIG? as joe would say......C'mon man...........

Must have meant 15MB/sec, which is ~150mbit

yeah 15gb would be 15x faster than hooking up two computers in the same room with a 6 foot ethernet cable 🤣

Danger Dave

Sarcastically Optimistic 😁
Reaction score
Have you used it for anything like Zoom or Microsoft teams video calling, if so how was it?