WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lumber prices.....????

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
saw this on the newsmax channel
great idea wonder how this will truly take over some if not alot of wood building

cold_one

Reaction score
I am working on a small project. Went to lowe's, got 2 sheets of plywood, 5 2x4's, some screws, paint and it was almost $200. I feel like prices on wood has doubled from just a few years ago when I did my last project.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Its more than doubled since last year. I have to bid a 31x35 deck for one of my customers. Hard to price it with it constantly going up. By the time we can start my lumber quotes will be no good.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I am working on a small project. Went to lowe's, got 2 sheets of plywood, 5 2x4's, some screws, paint and it was almost $200. I feel like prices on wood has doubled from just a few years ago when I did my last project.
they are saying it went up 170%

Reactions: DWC

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
years ago I built some metal stud framed homes....might have to go back to that idea...

DWC

Reaction score
Up 135% ish vs last year on framing and panels. Went up a few percent last week. Based on what copper is doing this week i don’t see lumber coming down anytime soon.
C6FA5263-6399-4704-8E5F-854D888C5CC3.jpeg

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
Its more than doubled since last year. I have to bid a 31x35 deck for one of my customers. Hard to price it with it constantly going up. By the time we can start my lumber quotes will be no good.

Due the volatile materials market, my bid proposals are only good for 5 day's. Most of my supplier's quotes are only good for 24-48 hrs. It makes for a very strained relationship with the ownership of a project before it even starts. Hopefully shit gets back to normal soon

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
If I were building another Havasu House I'd take a hard look at ICF Construction. Wood prices are crazy anymore!

DLC

Reaction score
There is a house being built with ICF down the street from me looks like a cool build. It’s in Havasu

NicPaus

Reaction score
If I were building another Havasu House I'd take a hard look at ICF Construction. Wood prices are crazy anymore!
Just for the R value it would be worth it. I built 2 on my block. Went ICF cause they had liveable basement. Not much gain in R value with our so cal weather. But Havasu would make a huge difference on those 120 days.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
Yesterday I had a board meeting with our local contractor association here in arrowhead. I asked our member that represents Rim Forest Lumber and the answer is the same... Over the last year doug fir has tripped and osb is double. She also stated that she sees no end to this any time soon.
Luckily, my rep at Peterman is still telling me that their supply costs are stable. For now anyway...

SpectraPat

Reaction score
years ago I built some metal stud framed homes....might have to go back to that idea...
We do commercial work, We received an email a couple weeks ago from our supplier. Metal studs and drywall will increase 10% in February and another 10% in March

Singleton

Reaction score
Listening to talk radio, 25k average price increase for a new house just for the lumber compared to 12 months ago

Springfield

Reaction score
Damn you guys are depressing (but honest). I am trying to get a garage addition going and watching lumber.........:(

Shortdeck

Reaction score
I’m building in Havasu now. The lumber alone was a 9k change order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hallett21

Reaction score
@BHC Vic I can see the walls in steel studs. How would you do the rafters in steel studs? More importantly the transition from wall to roof.

I’ve watched plenty of commercial framing/drywall contractors make radiuses, badass ceiling etc. It can’t be that hard to make a house out of steel studs.

Other than not knowing how, I don’t understand why residential construction hasn’t embraced steel studs. Much easier for electrical rough and I imagine plumbing. Walls are perfectly straight from the factory.

What’s the downside?

Reactions: D19

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
@BHC Vic I can see the walls in steel studs. How would you do the rafters in steel studs? More importantly the transition from wall to roof.

I’ve watched plenty of commercial framing/drywall contractors make radiuses, badass ceiling etc. It can’t be that hard to make a house out of steel studs.

Other than not knowing how, I don’t understand why residential construction hasn’t embraced steel studs. Much easier for electrical rough and I imagine plumbing. Walls are perfectly straight from the factory.

What’s the downside?

I actually have some shop drawings I can send you Monday. My old company is doing a house in Laguna Niguel. They actually do a lot of homes in Vegas. They’ve done a couple for Steve Wynn

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
There is a house being built with ICF down the street from me looks like a cool build. It’s in Havasu
Where is this i would like to go see it. I never seen this kind of work done.

Reactions: DLC

CobraDave

Reaction score
Until now I have never heard of ICF. From my research it can be up to 33 percent more efficient in the summer than wood and insulation. Even more so in the winter. Interesting. I wonder what the cost difference is in today’s market vs wood.

Last edited:

NicPaus

Reaction score
Concrete prices have also gone up. The issue I had was the stupid engineers had never dealt with ICF. They are pre engineered but they added more steel. They had never dealt with ICF and couldn't grasp that it is same as pour in place. The foam is insulation and a form its the steel and concrete inside it that is the structural part. Only way I would build a house if in AZ or areas it freezes.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I don't see how insulated concrete forms would be cheeper than stick frame???? might as well just do a cinder block house...

NicPaus

Reaction score
I don't see how insulated concrete forms would be cheeper than stick frame???? might as well just do a cinder block house...
It's a lot faster than block and includes the insulation. It was not cheaper than framing. Used ICF for the basement and first level. Framed 2nd story. Should of just used them on basement. In AZ the R value would make it worth it. In SoCal only benefit is Bullet resistant Lol.

dspracing

Reaction score
Preparing to send our driver to pick up our standard replenishment of 68pcs 1/2" plywood today and the price is all the way up to $52/sheet!!!! This time in 2019 I was paying just over $17/sheet.

DWC

Reaction score
No one really knows for sure. The framing market went up slightly again last week. Plywood shot up nearly 10%.

hallett21

Reaction score
No one really knows for sure. The framing market went up slightly again last week. Plywood shot up nearly 10%.

I can guarantee if I go buy what I need for our garage conversion it will go down significantly [emoji16].

DWC

Reaction score
I can guarantee if I go buy what I need for our garage conversion it will go down significantly [emoji16].

Right with you there. Only way to guarantee the market will go up is when i sell. SOB

hallett21

Reaction score
Right with you there. Only way to guarantee the market will go up is when i sell. SOB

Bought a few 2x6s for a clients project. I thought the counter guy was fucking with me when he told me the total lol

timmahhhh

Reaction score
The prices are scary. I have a better for lumber from back in September that was $96,000, now that I'm ready to buy I'm pretty confident it's going to be $140.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I’ve been bidding a sheet metal project since November. Needed to update the quote for the customer last week. Material cost was 34k, as of last week it’s 52k and only a price hold of 7 days.

DWC

Reaction score
Not great news if you have a pending project. Framing lumber leveled off but plywood costs went up another 4% on Friday.

timmahhhh

Reaction score
Your 40% increase seems to confirm what my gut was telling me. I will probably shed more than a couple tears over those $50 sheets of OSB and $100 sheets of inch and 1/8 ply.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

NicPaus

Reaction score
Was with another Contractor last night. Said half inch was up to 57 a sheet.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Not great news if you have a pending project. Framing lumber leveled off but plywood costs went up another 4% on Friday.

Damn it Don. You and your friends gotta stop funding your boating and retirement funds off the rest of us. lol

DWC

Reaction score
Damn it Don. You and your friends gotta stop funding your boating and retirement funds off the rest of us. lol
Oh no, open market cost stuff. Lumber market is its own deal. Market gets an end of the week update that’s a quick state of the state. Hoping it comes down to keep projects going. Too high isn’t good for anyone.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
The (Likely) Cost Of Lumber In The “New Normal”
Our discussions with Disdero Lumber, FrameworkPlus Inc, and Big Sky Insulation suggest that this is the new normal for the industry. There is a new benchmark for lumber pricing, and it will likely remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Interest rates for home mortgages are anticipated to hold for the remainder of the year, and more people are looking to start the new construction project of their dreams than ever before.

Therefore, we can expect a “new normal” (benchmark) to hover around $800 per 1,000 board feet for the cost of lumber.

Rbcconst

Reaction score
The (Likely) Cost Of Lumber In The “New Normal”
Our discussions with Disdero Lumber, FrameworkPlus Inc, and Big Sky Insulation suggest that this is the new normal for the industry. There is a new benchmark for lumber pricing, and it will likely remain that way for the foreseeable future.

Interest rates for home mortgages are anticipated to hold for the remainder of the year, and more people are looking to start the new construction project of their dreams than ever before.

Therefore, we can expect a “new normal” (benchmark) to hover around $800 per 1,000 board feet for the cost of lumber.

The only people holding off on projects are the cash out refi’s that thought they pulled enough to do a major addition to find out that a new master bedroom suite and kitchen cost more then 100k. The rest remains as it has always, the serious people with hard cash are the ones who do projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Racer56

Jukebox Hero
Reaction score
If you are worried about lumber prices dont start the project

A large percentage of members on this site work in the construction industry. Ever increasing lumber and material costs are starting to curtail new construction starts. Most of us are monitoring this closely, as it directly effects our lively hood.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
The only people holding off on projects are the cash out refi’s that thought they pulled enough to do a major addition to find out that a new master bedroom suite and kitchen cost more then 100k. The rest remains as it has always, the serious people with hard cash are the ones who do projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you really go there? It is the primary bedroom. :looking: I am going to blame you if the peaceful protesting start up again. 👍

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

It also wouldn't hurt if the 50 or so container ships could get unloaded. About two weeks ago coming back from Channel Islands Harbor...glad we didn't dodge those at night.

Most HOA Boards I service like to see materials broke out on an estimate.

Needless to say there have been a few phone calls in the past couple months.

I place a "All Material prices good for 7 days" line on every estimate past 3 months.