WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

45 aspect trailer tires

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I hope I don't regret asking this or end up down a rabbit hole, but here goes.
This is not about passenger tires or Light truck tires vs. trailer tires

The 17" wheels that I had earmarked for my trailer are on national back-order except for a 19" version which puts me into a 285/45-19.
I see tons of DCBs/ Eliminators/Pontoons/Howards running 18s, 19s even 20s with shorter aspect ratio sidewalls.

For those who ACTUALLY HAVE these, have you been experiencing flats, tire damage at an accelerated rate due to the shorter sidewall?
Do you regret running the taller wheels, limiting your selection of tire size?

If you are asking yourself why not just find another wheel?
I have spent hours and hours looking at wheels that will match the color of the boat, bolt pattern options and offset constraints while staying on a budget.
Every alternate I find I think I will regret later once my original choice comes back in stock.

Last option is to just get the cheapest wheel from mfr and change later but that just wastes money???

Thanks

nowski

Reaction score
I probably can't answer your question directly but this site (tiresize.com/comparison) may be able to give you a pretty good illustration when comparing tire sizes. Just enter the tire sizes you want to compare. It will also show you tire availability to help with your decision making process. I hope this helps out a bit...

Last edited:

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
A 19” wheel would be hard as tires are very limited for them, i have 18’s with Nitto 50 series and they look great and i wouldn’t change a thing.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
A 19” wheel would be hard as tires are very limited for them, i have 18’s with Nitto 50 series and they look great and i wouldn’t change a thing.

I was surprised at the limited selection at 19s
I am inclined to go for it r u on a dual or triple trlr?

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I probably can't answer your question directly but this site (tiresize.com/comparison) may be able to give you a pretty good illustration when comparing tire sizes. Just enter the tire sizes you want to compare. It will also show you tire availability to help with your decision making process. I hope this helps out a bit...

doesnt answer this particular question but I did bookmark that for general reference

thx

v6toy4x

Reaction score

what width wheel and actual tire size?
if you dont mind

Minimatt

Reaction score
I'm not running as large a diameter as you are considering, but am on a 50-series. No issues whatsoever for the last 14 years. The only disadvantage I can see is they likely won't take a curb shot as well as a taller aspect sidewall would. For reference, I'm running a 245/50-17 on a 17x7 wheel.

hman442

Reaction score
Another consideration is the "how far the sidewall sticks out past the rim" factor. I thought I was covered, when I went from the naprrower trailer tires to a 60 series car tire. Bolted them up, they rubbed hard on the carpeted inner fender wall. I massaged the lower brackets for the fender wall, and got some 1/4" spacers & all is well, but if I'd tried 55 or 50 series, probably wouldn't have worked.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score

Attachments

• E8CA38C8-9D28-4E16-AFF5-DA9ED3464143.jpeg
    E8CA38C8-9D28-4E16-AFF5-DA9ED3464143.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 72

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Another consideration is the "how far the sidewall sticks out past the rim" factor. I thought I was covered, when I went from the naprrower trailer tires to a 60 series car tire. Bolted them up, they rubbed hard on the carpeted inner fender wall. I massaged the lower brackets for the fender wall, and got some 1/4" spacers & all is well, but if I'd tried 55 or 50 series, probably wouldn't have worked.
65, 60, 55, 50, 40 etc are your tire (sidewall) heights,
225, 235, 245, 255 etc are your tire (contact patch) widths.

Vector

Reaction score
I have 235/50 17 on a 17x8 and I think for function and looks they are good. They only sticks out a little from the rim. I thought I was going to have to move my fenders out a little but they sit flush. The 14 x 8 with a 60 series I had on before stuck out a little.
9062BB41-E20B-4947-A3F6-CFA367B56F61.png

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I have 235/50 17 on a 17x8 and I think for function and looks they are good. They only sticks out a little from the rim. I thought I was going to have to move my fenders out a little but they sit flush. The 14 x 8 with a 60 series I had on before stuck out a little.
View attachment 1007902

thx, luv the triple axle
your wheel is one of my alternate choices

Vector

Reaction score
thx, luv the triple axle
your wheel is one of my alternate choices
The wheels I have are made by REV. They are hard to get and back ordered and delayed. They clean very easily and the bearing buddy fits under the cap. I have never put them on though. Lol

v6toy4x

Reaction score
The wheels I have are made by REV. They are hard to get and back ordered and delayed. They clean very easily and the bearing buddy fits under the cap. I have never put them on though. Lol

REV, I looked at their whole line, as you said the majority of wheels are out of stock right now.
I want an ESR SR01 IN GUNMETAL, the only size available is 19 x 9.5s. Dont know what it is but this is the one I want.
I think it will match perfect
ESR SR01 GUN METAL 18 X 9.5-5 X 114.3-15-73.1.jpg

I actually wondered if the cap covered the bearing buddy!

Minimatt

Reaction score
REV, I looked at their whole line, as you said the majority of wheels are out of stock right now.
I want an ESR SR01 IN GUNMETAL, the only size available is 19 x 9.5s. Dont know what it is but this is the one I want.
View attachment 1007978

Those are great looking wheels. I understand why that is what you have your heart set on.

I made my center cap cover the bearing buddy by machining about 0.060" off the backs of them so the bearing buddy could expand all the way out.
Trailer wheels.jpeg

Lumpy

Reaction score
in place of tires?
I can't say I have 🤔

I know there was a joke in there somewhere!

Yes there was...let me know what ya come up with. My 270 double axel has been a shit show since I've owned it.
Damn thing is too low but a triple axle is out of the question...I would be peeling tires off left and right with the places I go.
Been studying an axle flip but it will look like shit...too high but maybe with bigger wheels/tires?.?.?....

Fuck it....

Im going to try a new Prop.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
How far are you towing on average?

Any flat issues?
These wheels have been on the trailer since it came from Extreme new so 13 years, in my year of owning zero issues and they are a V rated Nitto tire, look good and ride good from the mirror.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Those are great looking wheels. I understand why that is what you have your heart set on.

I made my center cap cover the bearing buddy by machining about 0.060" off the backs of them so the bearing buddy could expand all the way out.
View attachment 1008016
Yes there was...let me know what ya come up with. My 270 double axel has been a shit show since I've owned it.
Damn thing is too low but a triple axle is out of the question...I would be peeling tires off left and right with the places I go.
Been studying an axle flip but it will look like shit...too high but maybe with bigger wheels/tires?.?.?....

Fuck it....

Im going to try a new Prop.

Deal,
I'll test wheels you test props!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
View attachment 1007978

Not the same but very similar wheel from Ridler. They make a great wheel i had on last trailer.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Not the same but very similar wheel from Ridler. They make a great wheel i had on last trailer.

That is on the alternate list, I just like the modular look with the fake bolts!
Several mfrs have pretty much the same wheel, the ESR has the most "fake" bolts I just like that look.

Now that I look closer the riddler has a zero and 6mm offsets in 18", good for trailer application.
ESR is a +15, works but the closer to zero the "deeper" the wheel looks

🤔 🤔

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
That is on the alternate list, I just like the modular look with the fake bolts!
Several mfrs have pretty much the same wheel, the ESR has the most "fake" bolts I just like that look.

Now that I look closer the riddler has a zero and 6mm offsets in 18", good for trailer application.
ESR is a +15, works but the closer to zero the "deeper" the wheel looks

🤔 🤔
The bolts may look cool to you, but they are 💯 pita to clean, and when you’re dipping the trailer in and out of the water they need cleaned often. The faux bolts on my wheels are what make me dislike mine personally.

Backlash

Reaction score
^^ This wheel looks sharp. Out of all that you've posted, I think that one looks the best. Please pass on the one in post #27. That wont look good at all.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Ya know...

You can have any wheel powder coated any color you like right?

You don't want to end up with some special order tire size when you're half way between home and the lake with a flat tire!

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Ya know...

You can have any wheel powder coated any color you like right?

You don't want to end up with some special order tire size when you're half way between home and the lake with a flat tire!

yes, in fact ESR has an extensive in house custom powder dept.
CUSTOM ESR CS15 BRUSHED SUPREME PURPLE.jpg
I might be able to find the same wheel in a different color and then send it out to be blasted and powdered, but that doubles the cost of the wheel and the factory color is spot on what I want not to mention the time frame.

Just moving to a 19" and live with the 45 aspect ratio tire seems to be the winner. The overall ht of the 19 with a 285/45 is 29.1 where as the suggested tire from extreme for the 18 is a 285/60 which runs 31.4 so I prefer the shorter OAH. I just wasn't sure on the 45 aspect sidewall ht but I am good with it now a 285/45 has 5" of sidewall should be fine. I know extreme and advantage both routinely send out their trailers with lower profile tires all the time so I am going to ignore all the "tire experts" who say the world will end if I dont run an ST series tire with a tall sidewall.

I facebooked ESR friday and he is checking inventory on the 19s tomorrow. If he has them I will order them.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
^^ This wheel looks sharp. Out of all that you've posted, I think that one looks the best. Please pass on the one in post #27. That wont look good at all.

27 is OUT 👍
28 would be a viable option if my choice was no longer available but 28 looks too spindly IMO, not enough 'meat" maybe slightly fragile. though it does look simplistically "elegant"????

Wheel choice is a whole rabbit hole I was stuck down for months, I just got out of it!!!

PLEASE-----DON'T SEND ME BACK IN!😆😆

Backlash

Reaction score
Sorry Brother!! 😁 I "Settled" on the wheels that came on my old trailer. Original American Racing Torq Thrusts. Polished up, they look bitchen! Now I just need to finish the rest of the trailer! 🤦‍♂️

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Sorry Brother!! 😁 I "Settled" on the wheels that came on my old trailer. Original American Racing Torq Thrusts. Polished up, they look bitchen! Now I just need to finish the rest of the trailer! 🤦‍♂️

Hate to break it to you, :D no toy is ever "FINISHED"

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I towed 20k miles on 20s and 45 series on my last wake boat with zero issues.

If you’re going to go 19s make sure you have a good spare, because most places aren’t going to have much to offer in that size.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
The biggest issue you’ll have is the availability of a tire if something happens on the road with said 19” wheel. So I’d strongly suggest if you’re set on the 19 to do dual spares like Adrenaline does on their bigger trailers.

v6toy4x

Reaction score

I will have a matching spare,
Its not so much that it is a special order tire as much as it is 19s have a narrow selection, still readily available.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I towed 20k miles on 20s and 45 series on my last wake boat with zero issues.

If you’re going to go 19s make sure you have a good spare, because most places aren’t going to have much to offer in that size.
The biggest issue you’ll have is the availability of a tire if something happens on the road with said 19” wheel. So I’d strongly suggest if you’re set on the 19 to do dual spares like Adrenaline does on their bigger trailers.

Agree, spare is a must, I did check my local americas tire and they do have some 19s on the shelf.

I will have at least one spare, I do like the "dual" spare deal. If I stick with the triple axle plan, I can always strap an axle up if I were to loose 2 tires??

v6toy4x

Reaction score
I just ordered them online 19 x 9.5 w/285/45-19s

We will see tomorrow if their stock count is good or not!
ESR said he "thought" they had 19s and would get back to me tomorrow as well

We will see!

Thanks for all the re assurance on the short aspect tire.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
yes, in fact ESR has an extensive in house custom powder dept.
View attachment 1008226
I might be able to find the same wheel in a different color and then send it out to be blasted and powdered, but that doubles the cost of the wheel and the factory color is spot on what I want not to mention the time frame.

Just moving to a 19" and live with the 45 aspect ratio tire seems to be the winner. The overall ht of the 19 with a 285/45 is 29.1 where as the suggested tire from extreme for the 18 is a 285/60 which runs 31.4 so I prefer the shorter OAH. I just wasn't sure on the 45 aspect sidewall ht but I am good with it now a 285/45 has 5" of sidewall should be fine. I know extreme and advantage both routinely send out their trailers with lower profile tires all the time so I am going to ignore all the "tire experts" who say the world will end if I dont run an ST series tire with a tall sidewall.

I facebooked ESR friday and he is checking inventory on the 19s tomorrow. If he has them I will order them.

Doubles the cost??

The guy that runs that Instagram page I sent you, his name is Sam. Give him a call and tell him I sent you. I'm pretty sure he won't double your cost.

nowski

Reaction score
For future reference: Here's another site that's helpful in making a decision on wheel and tire size, willtheyfit.com

The site gives you head to head comparisons of wheel size, offsets and tire sizes, they'll also show an illustration that is very helpful in pointing you in the right direction...

Last edited:

HBCraig

Reaction score
These wheels have been on the trailer since it came from Extreme new so 13 years, in my year of owning zero issues and they are a V rated Nitto tire, look good and ride good from the mirror.
That's what I was thinking. My trailer guy was telling me I can't run a setup like that, only the trailer rims/tires

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. My trailer guy was telling me I can't run a setup like that, only the trailer rims/tires
Maybe insurance for the shop idk but I’d say 1/2 if not more are running a custom/car/truck wheel, instead of a trailer wheel and tire these days.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Maybe insurance for the shop idk but I’d say 1/2 if not more are running a custom/car/truck wheel, instead of a trailer wheel and tire these days.
That's what I see too. I take it you have a matching assembly for a spare?

v6toy4x

Reaction score

extreme trailer website;
WHEEL AND TIRE OPTIONS
-20" Upgrade to KMC Wheels with 285-50-20 tires
-18" Upgrade to KMC wheels with 285-60-18 tires
-17" Upgrade to KMC wheels with 285-65-17 tires

I have yet to see a 17,18 or 19" KMC "trailer" wheel, let alone a 285-50-20 "ST" trailer tire
I just wanted to get a little real world comment.

HBCraig

Reaction score
extreme trailer website;
WHEEL AND TIRE OPTIONS

I have yet to see a 17,18 or 19" KMC "trailer" wheel, let alone a 285-50-20 "ST" trailer tire
Thanks man. Good info

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Thanks man. Good info

one big issue with the "car" wheels vs. trailer wheels is the offsets. The newer car wheels can have significant positive offset moving the wheel centerline closer to the trailer. Trailer wheels primarily run at or near a zero offset which makes placing the fender centerline typical from one trailer to the next.

extreme will alter fender centerline to accomodate customer wheels if the wheels have an offset between -18 & +18. You just have to send them the wheels before they start building your trailer. Thats why I found myself in a time line jamb. Howard wants to order trailers at the beginning of the build now due to lead time on the trailers associated to their parts. So I went to order wheels and low and behold they are on backorder in the 18s. I know I don't want to be the hold up on my own boat buld, that would be embarrassing! I can hear Gene now--what do you mean you dont have the wheels!

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
extreme trailer website;
WHEEL AND TIRE OPTIONS

As soon as they were mounted to my trailer they became “trailer wheels”

That's what I see too. I take it you have a matching assembly for a spare?
yessir