WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Need input...

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We're considering selling our stretched golf cart and getting a Polaris Crew Ranger XP1000 Premium/ Trail Boss or a CanAm Defender Max DPS. We have a Rubicon, so this won't be used for offroading, just mainly for driving around at the river and launching the boat, etc.

Wondering if anyone has any input regarding either of these? They seem pretty similar to me...

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
We went with the Polaris Ranger Northstar crew. Absolutely love that thing. Having air conditioning is a game changer.

X2 i got one also. Life changing...lol

Db Not sure how heavy your boat is....i put a 2in lift on mine running 30x9.50 16’s. Moves my 22ft toon and 28ft enclosed snowmobile trailer around (empty) but it’s definitely sketchy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
IMG_2234.jpg

IMG_3752.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 84

satellitemike

Reaction score
Ive had two older Ranger crews, both did amazing for what they were. Unless you need seating for 6 go with the General, better machine all around! One thing that is nice about the polaris ranger and General is the turf mode that drives only one wheel saving your tires on concrete and asphalt, not sure if Canam offers similar?

Last edited:

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 i got one also. Life changing...lol

Db Not sure how heavy your boat is....i put a 2in lift on mine running 30x9.50 16’s. Moves my 22ft toon and 28ft enclosed snowmobile trailer around (empty) but it’s definitely sketchy.

Ours is a 21' Daytona with Merc 300xs. Not super heavy, so it should be fine

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I would be more partial to an Can Am Maverick X3. It would do what you want and can get you into a new world of off roading if you wanted. If not your cup of tea, then I would get the one that has the AC.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
How much you want to spend on a can am x3 4 seater ?

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
Hey DB, I have been on similar page again recently.

Let me start by mentioning that inventory flat out sux from here to Texas. I had an opportunity to buy a new ranger crew xp1000 trail boss a few months back and I didn't do it. I cant say that I regret it, but I missed the chance. So with that... The new ones will be arriving again soon, as I patiently wait (no big deal, no reason to rush). There is even an electric model coming for 2022 (mmmm?).

Here is my .02 on my decision for now. Just a few thoughts...

Having been there done that with my previous RZR, I am not doing dunes and not mobbing the desert like I used to. I do miss the trail rides in Havasu and getting on top of a hill and watching the sun set with my girl and a new pup someday ahead.

I wasn't really a fan of the Ranger at first, however its growing on me more now (its just not as sporty as the General). The ranger crew is a monster in size and I fell its capacity is hard to beat (5 passengers and room for a dog ;)). I think we will occasionally use it to launch the jet skis in the dirt (towing capacity is 2500lbs) and some trail rides and exploring. I like the big bed and tailgate for easy access and space (ice chest, chairs, toolbox, belt and fire extinguisher). A couple things that don't excite me about the ranger crew is the cage, the seats, cup holder placement and no doors. But I seem to have come to the realization that its very functional for our needs and I can modify a few things hopefully without breaking the bank (too late). add long travel kit, big tires and wheels with a new cage, lights, com kits... the list goes on (maybe not again).

I like these things about the General 4... the seats and cup holders way more comfy and properly placed for easy use. Comes with full doors and fox upgraded suspension. The bed is still big enough for a cooler and chairs and the dump bed allows for easy access for maintenance. Sometimes nice to just sit on tailgate. The General has more creature comforts and sporty suspension making it why I call it a good "crossover" model. Unfortunately, I don't feel towing my tandem axle jet ski trailer with the general is my best option.

bottom line for now, I am watching for a new ranger crew xp1000 trail boss (the trail boss has some nice features).

Dr Rob

Reaction score

Let me start by mentioning that inventory flat out sux from here to Texas. I had an opportunity to buy a new ranger crew xp1000 trail boss a few months back and I didn't do it. I cant say that I regret it, but I missed the chance. So with that... The new ones will be arriving again soon, as I patiently wait (no big deal, no reason to rush). There is even an electric model coming for 2022 (mmmm?).

Having been there done that with my previous RZR, I am not doing dunes and not mobbing the desert like I used to. I do miss the trail rides in Havasu and getting on top of a hill and watching the sun set with my girl and a new pup someday ahead.

I wasn't really a fan of the Ranger at first, however its growing on me more now (its just not as sporty as the General). The ranger crew is a monster in size and I fell its capacity is hard to beat (5 passengers and room for a dog ;)). I think we will occasionally use it to launch the jet skis in the dirt (towing capacity is 2500lbs) and some trail rides and exploring. I like the big bed and tailgate for easy access and space (ice chest, chairs, toolbox, belt and fire extinguisher). A couple things that don't excite me about the ranger crew is the cage, the seats, cup holder placement and no doors. But I seem to have come to the realization that its very functional for our needs and I can modify a few things hopefully without breaking the bank (too late). add long travel kit, big tires and wheels with a new cage, lights, com kits... the list goes on (maybe not again).

I like these things about the General 4... the seats and cup holders way more comfy and properly placed for easy use. Comes with full doors and fox upgraded suspension. The bed is still big enough for a cooler and chairs and the dump bed allows for easy access for maintenance. Sometimes nice to just sit on tailgate. The General has more creature comforts and sporty suspension making it why I call it a good "crossover" model. Unfortunately, I don't feel towing my tandem axle jet ski trailer with the general is my best option.

bottom line for now, I am watching for a new ranger crew xp1000 trail boss (the trail boss has some nice features).
We bought ours in 2019. Aside from my tractor this is the most important thing on my Ranch. I use it everyday and on weekends we trail ride with friends that come up from Vegas. we are 30 miles outside of Williams and frequently drive it to Williams on Highway in air-conditioned comfort.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would be more partial to an Can Am Maverick X3. It would do what you want and can get you into a new world of off roading if you wanted. If not your cup of tea, then I would get the one that has the AC.

We have had offroad toys previously and now have a Rubicon. We prefer that for offroading now. Just basically looking for a more powerful bar hopper and something that will launch the boat.

Zero desire for the RZR/Maverick type vehicle. Sorry, I'm one of those people that really, really dislikes them.

JB in so cal

Reaction score
We have had offroad toys previously and now have a Rubicon. We prefer that for offroading now. Just basically looking for a more powerful bar hopper and something that will launch the boat.

Zero desire for the RZR/Maverick type vehicle. Sorry, I'm one of those people that really, really dislikes them.
so you have a beast truck, a jeep and you want something smaller to launch with...? You're going the wrong way!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks so much for the info. I really appreciate it. I think we might hit up RideNow this weekend and check out what they have. Hopefully we'll get a better feel for the differences.

I know I'm definitely going to want bigger tires and a lift, so the Trail Boss is really appealing since it's already got that stuff.

I feel like the General looks too much like the RZRs which I'm really not a fan of. I've heard good things about that one though, so maybe I just need to get past the look...

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
We went with the Polaris Ranger Northstar crew. Absolutely love that thing. Having air conditioning is a game changer.

How well does that work in 100+ degree temps? It is like a car where it’s actually comfortable?

HB2Havasu

Reaction score
We're considering selling our stretched golf cart and getting a Polaris Crew Ranger XP1000 Premium/ Trail Boss or a CanAm Defender Max DPS. We have a Rubicon, so this won't be used for offroading, just mainly for driving around at the river and launching the boat, etc.

Wondering if anyone has any input regarding either of these? They seem pretty similar to me...
Why not just use the Rubicon? Seems like a much better option than a SxS.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not just use the Rubicon? Seems like a much better option than a SxS.

The Rubicon comes home to Phoenix in the summer.

We are ready to upgrade beyond the stretch golf cart that we've had for a long time. Ready for something different.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
When we lived at Naci, everybody had SxS's and carts up there. I was starting to look into getting a cheap S10 or Ranger, fab up a quick and simple safari like bed cage with opposing bench seats, maybe take the doors off, etc and use that as a ranch cruiser. Would be big enough to haul plenty of people, powerful enough to launch the boat, about 10k cheaper than a Ranger crew, and if the doors were kept, an A/C and heated cab.

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
How well does that work in 100+ degree temps? It is like a car where it’s actually comfortable?

Tinting the windows is an absolute necessity.....mine is 3m crystalline.

I can tell you my AC works great with our summers in the 90’s with 70-100% humidity. And i get zero dust in the cab when offroad following anyone. Never had a complaint from anyone in the back seats either, there are vents back there.

EDIT: you have to option to remove the doors, the windshield (flip up or take out) and backglass very easily. The AC is so nice i don’t even roll down the windows anymore lol. The heat works great in 0 degree weather also, i plow our very long driveway with it.

Last edited:

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
When we lived at Naci, everybody had SxS's and carts up there. I was starting to look into getting a cheap S10 or Ranger, fab up a quick and simple safari like bed cage with opposing bench seats, maybe take the doors off, etc and use that as a ranch cruiser. Would be big enough to haul plenty of people, powerful enough to launch the boat, about 10k cheaper than a Ranger crew, and if the doors were kept, an A/C and heated cab.

Apples and oranges. My built and caged zj sat for a year since buying the ranger crew northstar. I ended up selling it.....the ranger is 1000x easier with the kids and getting around the gated community where we are at. I drive it to the store, down to the marina, etc.....

Your Cost comparison would be the only reason but i had as much in to that as the ranger cost!

NicPaus

Reaction score
The Northstar is bad ass and only way to get AC in the ranger crew but pricey $30K! I was 30 minutes late on a new 2019 Crew 1000xp. It was $18,600 otd. Then next one in was covid priced at 24k otd. I ended up with a new Defender 6 seater. It's only the 800 but it was 15,500$ before tax license and doors, winch, bumper, windshield and a few other add on. I use it to launch my ski. Great machine and happy with it. It was 2700$ more than a new 6 seater golf cart and will outperform a cart all day long.

Demoman

Reaction score
We love our Ranger Crew. We trail ride it all around our place in Needles. Keeps up just fine with all the RZRs for our type of riding. I really prefer the more upright seating position and it is very easy to get in and out of when making frequent stops. I highly recommend going with the factory doors
CB246E27-EDC4-4698-B880-EB9BBBC1E008.jpeg
C67D8807-661B-4EA6-BD7A-18EB9BBF7323.jpeg
45007F32-5B64-48BC-9F4C-9F50605E4908.jpeg
84E512D6-45C5-4C47-A2FC-65D7369BFC75.jpeg
54397053-21CF-4780-BA3D-BED51E2B1881.jpeg
3C1211EA-9418-45BA-B2FB-D4697D334288.jpeg

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Apples and oranges. My built and caged zj sat for a year since buying the ranger crew northstar. I ended up selling it.....the ranger is 1000x easier with the kids and getting around the gated community where we are at. I drive it to the store, down to the marina, etc.....

Your Cost comparison would be the only reason but i had as much in to that as the ranger cost!
I think your comparison is apples to oranges. My idea is less built 4x4 and more beater truck with decent seats in the bed. Being built with Ingress and Egress to the bed seats being number 1 priority. Kinda like a golf cart.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
I think your comparison is apples to oranges. My idea is less built 4x4 and more beater truck with decent seats in the bed. Being built with Ingress and Egress to the bed seats being number 1 priority. Kinda like a golf cart.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Sorry, i didn’t mean to come off as comparing my jeep to your idea. I more so meant there is no comparison to any jeep, truck, etc to a utv.

In my situation the ranger does everything i need it to do perfectly, with air conditioning :D

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The AC is a badass addition for the right application. We'll be using this as a river cruiser, so I don't really want it to be all buttoned up with the full doors, etc. for the few months that it is hot. I sit inside in AC every damn day of my life while working - I crave being outside in the fresh air, even if that air is 115°.

I'm most interested in the Trail Boss at this point, but that could change after we go see all of them in person. I'm already a little disappointed that there likely won't be much haggling since they are in such high demand. The haggling is my favorite part.

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Sorry, i didn’t mean to come off as comparing my jeep to your idea. I more so meant there is no comparison to any jeep, truck, etc to a utv.

In my situation the ranger does everything i need it to do perfectly, with air conditioning :D

Oh I absolutely agree if you are factoring in decent off-roading. capabilities and comfort. The application I was referring to, and what it appears DB is referring to, is mostly street use/grocery getter/launch vehicle that doesn't travel more than a couple miles from home. In that application I think a UTV is overkill and way more money than what needs to be spent.

NicPaus

Reaction score
The new white trail boss with red lettering is sweet! DemoMan got the color I was thirty minutes late on. It's bad ass. I got silver which matches my truck and bike. Kids love it. If I could get the trail boss for under 20k otd I would buy a second as I have another Nephew now and we would all fit in 2.
20201127_152516.jpg

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
@DaytonaBabe

Found one... in surprise. The dealer added a roof, windshield, tires and wheels. All non specific to how much or what kind.

I asked for OTD price with cash purchase. Sales guy texted me back and said $32,634.

IMG_5222.jpg

Take a shot at it if you want! I asked him to provide a breakdown of how he came to an additional $7k in his price and have not heard back from him all day. [emoji85]

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
@DaytonaBabe

Found one... in surprise. The dealer added a roof, windshield, tires and wheels. All non specific to how much or what kind.

I asked for OTD price with cash purchase. Sales guy texted me back and said $32,634.

View attachment 1010099

Take a shot at it if you want! I asked him to provide a breakdown of how he came to an additional $7k in his price and have not heard from him again all day. [emoji85]

Covid surcharge? Lmfao!! This could be fun.

If it's still there this weekend we'll go check it out.

Thanks for the heads up!

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That’s funny, I told him I didn’t want his tires and wheels package unless it was a set of methods and tensors [emoji12]

Went to RideNow yesterday. Terrible experience. They don't have anything in stock and no one knows anything about what they can order. Good thing we had done our research ahead of time.

The sales guy was an idiot. After talking about what we ultimately wanted, he says "okay, we can do that. Are you ready to put down the $500 deposit?". I laughed at him and said, "you haven't even shown us what our final number is, I'm not giving you a dime until I know what the total is gonna be". It was like pulling teeth to get a final number down on paper. Who the eff buys something without knowing what the price is?!?!!! So anyway, he finally comes back 20 min later with the breakdown. We added a roof and stereo. Everything penciled out for the Polaris XP1000 Trail Boss with the extras we added (and install) and TTL. Then I see the dealer freight and dealer assembly bs. WTF is that?! I called him out on it and he said there was nothing he could/would do. Seems dumb to me. Dealer freight & assembly seems like their cost of doing business - why am I paying for it? Shit, at least at the car dealership they hide it in the sticker price 😆

Anyway, we told him that we're set with all the toys/vehicles we already have and aren't in a hurry. We were ready to buy yesterday, but the sales experience was just so crappy it didn't make us want to pull the trigger. The dealer ad ons aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but it soured an already sub-par experience to the point where I wasn't stoked to give them our money. Gonna reach out to another dealer (not RideNow) in town and see what they have to say.

Attachments

• 20210605_173240.jpg
    20210605_173240.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

HavaToon

Reaction score
Went to RideNow yesterday. Terrible experience. They don't have anything in stock and no one knows anything about what they can order. Good thing we had done our research ahead of time.

The sales guy was an idiot. After talking about what we ultimately wanted, he says "okay, we can do that. Are you ready to put down the $500 deposit?". I laughed at him and said, "you haven't even shown us what our final number is, I'm not giving you a dime until I know what the total is gonna be". It was like pulling teeth to get a final number down on paper. Who the eff buys something without knowing what the price is?!?!!! So anyway, he finally comes back 20 min later with the breakdown. We added a roof and stereo. Everything penciled out for the Polaris XP1000 Trail Boss with the extras we added (and install) and TTL. Then I see the dealer freight and dealer assembly bs. WTF is that?! I called him out on it and he said there was nothing he could/would do. Seems dumb to me. Dealer freight & assembly seems like their cost of doing business - why am I paying for it? Shit, at least at the car dealership they hide it in the sticker price [emoji38]

Anyway, we told him that we're set with all the toys/vehicles we already have and aren't in a hurry. We were ready to buy yesterday, but the sales experience was just so crappy it didn't make us want to pull the trigger. The dealer ad ons aren't necessarily a deal breaker, but it soured an already sub-par experience to the point where I wasn't stoked to give them our money. Gonna reach out to another dealer (not RideNow) in town and see what they have to say.

DB,
Forget Ride Now, they are w huge rip off. Go to Northern AZ dealers for much better deals.

My dad and buddy both bought SXS’s from Four Seasons Powersports. Lowest prices in Az…1 Polaris General Limited in 2020 and 1 CanAm x3 Max in 2021.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DB,
Forget Ride Now, they are w huge rip off. Go to Northern AZ dealers for much better deals.

My dad and buddy both bought SXS’s from Four Seasons Powersports. Lowest prices in Az…1 Polaris General Limited in 2020 and 1 CanAm x3 Max in 2021.

Thank you for the info!!!

JB in so cal

Reaction score

The sales guy was an idiot. After talking about what we ultimately wanted, he says "okay, we can do that. Are you ready to put down the $500 deposit?". I laughed at him and said, "you haven't even shown us what our final number is, I'm not giving you a dime until I know what the total is gonna be". It was like pulling teeth to get a final number down on paper. Who the eff buys something without knowing what the price is?!?!!! So anyway, he finally comes back 20 min later with the breakdown. We added a roof and stereo. Everything penciled out for the Polaris XP1000 Trail Boss with the extras we added (and install) and TTL. Then I see the dealer freight and dealer assembly bs. WTF is that?! I called him out on it and he said there was nothing he could/would do. Seems dumb to me. Dealer freight & assembly seems like their cost of doing business - why am I paying for it? Shit, at least at the car dealership they hide it in the sticker price 😆

Didn't you tell them who you were?

NicPaus

Reaction score
That price is crazy. If I have time next weekend I can ask at Parker Yamaha for you and Throttle. They can order or check what they have on order. Just time line is not for sure currently.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That price is crazy. If I have time next weekend I can ask at Parker Yamaha for you and Throttle. They can order or check what they have on order. Just time line is not for sure currently.

Thank you, I would appreciate it. We don't mind waiting at all. It seems like the norm these days.