WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell state line report

Meaney77

Reaction score
This was my wifes exact same comment when I mentioned going the first time. LOL

We drove the RV the first time and stayed at Wahweap campground. Nice place. THe second time we rented a house boat. Both are fun. She liked it both times but still maintains that she could spend the same money and go somewhere else and be more relaxing. Shes probably right but you cant see the things at Powell anywhere else or get the same memories with the family. Few shots from our houseboat trip.
View attachment 1001459 View attachment 1001460 View attachment 1001461 View attachment 1001462

View attachment 1001459
That looks like a great trip, and I am glad I am not the only one with these dilemmas!!

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Would love to make a Powell trip in the near future. I have been a few times but my wife never has, and I know her and the kids would have a blast.

My dilemma with my wife is- She says that if we are spending that much to go boating and renting a house boat for a week she would rather use that money and have a nice vacation where we are being waited on, drinking pool side and not cooking dinners every night. I tend to agree but I tell her its one of those trips you have to go on to appreciate.

You can always just stay at the Amangiri and day trip boat out of Lone rock and hang out like the typical Havasu boaters. But houseboating takes a lot of effort. That's why my wife and I don't do it much anymore and just do 2-3 nights out in a cruiser with a bathroom/kitchen.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek what kind of cruiser is that? Do you tow it all around or dry dock/slip it at Powell?

Its an older 2000 model year SeaRay Sundancer 290. 2 berths/dinette/kitchen/bath/generator with AC/Heat. I tow it!... 14,000lbs and 10 foot wide with oversize permits. Stored in Big Water but I just pulled permits for a metal building on my property for a 34x50 garage. Hopefully have it sitting right here by fall. I have towed it up and down from Chander to Powell. Chandler to Havasu. etc.. for the past few years. It is now permanent up here for the future time being.

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Its an older 2000 model year SeaRay Sundancer 290. 2 berths/dinette/kitchen/bath/generator with AC/Heat. I tow it!... 14,000lbs and 10 foot wide with oversize permits. Stored in Big Water but I just pulled permits for a metal building on my property for a 34x50 garage. Hopefully have it sitting right here by fall. I have towed it up and down from Chander to Powell. Chandler to Havasu. etc.. for the past few years. It is now permanent up here for the future time being.
That thing is friggin awesome!

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Love that Lake!
But they need water really bad..

Halls Crossing Launch3550.003548.0013.13 AboveOpen and Usable
Wahweap3558.003556.005.13 AboveOpen and Usable
Bullfrog (Main Launch)3578.003576.0014.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Castle Rock Cut-Off3583.003580.0018.87 BelowUnusable, use Main Channel
Antelope Point3588.003587.0025.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Dominguez Butte Cut-Off3602.003600.0038.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Gunsight to Padre Bay Cut-Off3613.003609.0047.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Hite Marina3650.003645.0083.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Farley Canyon3653.003649.0087.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Copper Canyon3663.003660.0098.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas
Bullfrog to Halls Creek Cut-Off3670.003668.00106.87 BelowUnusable, use Main Channel
Piute Farms3682.003680.00118.87 BelowUnusable, go to main marinas

2Driver

Reaction score
Yeah here’s that graph again.

Looks like they are going to have to edit the Y axis on the graph for lower numbers, its not turning.

838ABC5E-7773-49F0-A6D4-CC4D885F69ED.jpeg
o

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek have you taken it to any of the smaller lakes like Saguaro and Pleasant for an overnighter? What are you towing with and what mpg on the long hauls?

That setup sounds like my type of boating would be a breeze!

bk2drvr

Reaction score
My buddy that lives in Colorado got a foot of snow this week. I'm hoping these late season storms are the reason that black line hasn't started upward.

Im planning to go to Powell in mid August and will be hoteling it. I want to make a run to the Escalante Arm and would prefer to start at Antelope.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
@mesquito_creek have you taken it to any of the smaller lakes like Saguaro and Pleasant for an overnighter? What are you towing with and what mpg on the long hauls?

That setup sounds like my type of boating would be a breeze!
Yes, I had it slipped at saguaro for 5-6 years and for the past 2 years I have been traveling/towing. I did a shake down weekend at saguaro in April last month after all the winter maintenance. I just towed it up to Powell for the summer last week. We split time between Utah/chandler since COVID. I tow with a 2019 ram 2500 6.4L hemi with the factory 4:10 gears and 8 speed transmission. I get ~7.8 mpg towing up hill through flag to page. Boat has twin 5.7L mercs and it takes 28 gallons to go from wahweep to dangling rope through the cut. It probably gets about 1-1.5 gallons per mile. Last memorial weekend we did 225 nautical miles on the gps at Powell. It requires an annual oversize watercraft permit for 45 dollars with a couple flags and oversize banner on the transom. 10 foot beam, 13.5 high and 37 foot long on the trailer.
EB1CDBE2-8E0D-4A91-A3C5-1E3A5E308E76.jpeg

Last edited:

franky

Reaction score
I got an email that they would be adding mats to extend it. We are going in September and launch with our motorhome, should be interesting. My wife backed it down last year, should be interesting this year.
View attachment 1001222
You need to get to know the help in the golf carts. Tip them well and get their phone numbers. No matter the hour, they will be there for you.....

franky

Reaction score
This was my wifes exact same comment when I mentioned going the first time. LOL

We drove the RV the first time and stayed at Wahweap campground. Nice place. THe second time we rented a house boat. Both are fun. She liked it both times but still maintains that she could spend the same money and go somewhere else and be more relaxing. Shes probably right but you cant see the things at Powell anywhere else or get the same memories with the family. Few shots from our houseboat trip.
View attachment 1001459 View attachment 1001460 View attachment 1001461 View attachment 1001462

View attachment 1001459
We owned a houseboat with some other friends out of Whaweap for over 25 years. Kids grew up on that lake. Sites and times that we all still talk about to this day. I would never trade it for anything. That place is magical....

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
State line ramp closes Monday 5-17-21 due to low water , just saw it on Stg news , so put in at AP it’s 400’ 😂🤔🇺🇸

❗️Due to low water levels, Stateline Launch Ramp will close Monday, May 17, 2021 to motorized vessels. The closure will remain in effect until further notice and is due to revised projections from the Bureau of Reclamation (BOR) and lake levels lowering faster than previously predicted. On May 12, the Stateline Launch Ramp had approximately 3 feet of water depth ending at approximately 3558 elevation. Alternative launching facilities for motorized vessels are located at the Wahweap Marina, located approximately one and one-half miles south of the Stateline Launch Ramp area.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Water level is still falling but it is slowing. Maybe it will start rising in a week or so.

Capture.JPG

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
The little blip on this year's line makes say WTF every time I see this graph.

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
Parking at Wahweap was packed last year with people parking on the road leading to the lots. With State Line closed I am not sure where we will all park. I guess State Line and have your boat pick you up after you launch at Wahweap?

Singleton

Reaction score
Parking at Wahweap was packed last year with people parking on the road leading to the lots. With State Line closed I am not sure where we will all park. I guess State Line and have your boat pick you up after you launch at Wahweap?

when I worked Wahweap in college, we had shuttles buses between all those locations

Reaction score
Last forth of July it took almost an hour and a half to launch at state line ramp . The line was over two miles long. Never seen it this way.
75014DE2-AACD-4AA1-B116-5453AAE80BD5.jpeg

Boat 405

Reaction score
Last forth of July it took almost an hour and a half to launch at state line ramp . The line was over two miles long. Never seen it this way. View attachment 1004491
That's how it used to be back in the early eighties, every weekeend!

The ramp is easily 10 lanes wide. Fucking idiots can't back up a trailer to save their life and result in about 5-6 lanes now. If you look at the top of the ramp you can see the designated lanes. Now people can't figure it out. So dumb

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Anbody know if you can call and make a reservation for a slip in Waheap marina? or possibly do it online

707dog

Reaction score
Anbody know if you can call and make a reservation for a slip in Waheap marina? or possibly do it online
have to call them... i have a reminder set for next month to call for our trip in august 928-645-1027

BLOWN HOWARD

Reaction score
Got ahold of them looks like slips are limited cause of water level some are not able to use at the moment till they can get them out to deeper water

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yes I was there this weekend had to tighten anchor lines for my father in laws house boat. I have never been so happy to do that chore!
I ran into your FIL in the straights between wahweap and antelope and stopped and said thanks for the generosity! Just a quick wave and thumps up... it was pretty nautical in the washing machine!

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I ran into your FIL in the straights between wahweap and antelope and stopped and said thanks for the generosity! Just a quick wave and thumps up... it was pretty nautical in the washing machine!
Haha nice! Glad you made it in safely. The washer machine was definitely agitated. Those wind storms were brutal hope you fared through those well. Anytime hit me up for the slip if it's available he will do his best to have it cleared out for ya.

Nanu/Nanu

Reaction score
I’ve called three times, looking to book a slip for our trip, no call back, what was your secret?
When you leave your call back message don't sound like the desperate chick from the bar last night. 😂

Marios Metalworks

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what Last Chance looks like now!

Anybody have an update on DR?

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
I can't wait to see what Last Chance looks like now!

Anybody have an update on DR?

Last Chance had a lot of beach it doesn't normally have, especially on the east side... Traditionally I think the west side of LC is houseboat friendly, but now I think its reversed. Padre was basically one continuous beach with simply "how tight do you want to pack them in". Over memorial weekend it still was reasonably spread out and for about a minute I thought about staying there, but I don't play well with others so I moved on.
I swung into DR on Saturday and it was closed without any person in sight.
I saw 2 houseboats pin staking directly into the sandstone and wondered why I can't get away with not pulling my plug yet this seems to be quite obvious and on memorial non the less. I don't think I saw any LE besides the straights.

McKay

Reaction score
Process for the Antelope Point Marina private ramp is pretty straight forward. After you come through the toll booth at the entrance, take an immediate right where you will enter the dirt parking lot. There is a "stop" sign adjacent to a small building, walk inside and let them know you'd like to be launched (they have to drive your vehicle, they will not allow you to drive on their launch ramp) pay the $40 fee and go back to your vehicle and wait for them to come get you and launch you. They will then park your truck in the line next to the stop sign you were sitting at.

Not the most convenient process, and somewhat time consuming if you catch it at the wrong time of day or on a busy weekend, but its a lot better than driving all the way around to Wahweap if you are at Antelope Point.

My suggestion, if you can launch at Wahweap that is where I would launch this season.
Nick, used this last week for the first time. Real slick! Ya’ll got a great setup there at Antelope!

TVMNick

Reaction score
Nick, used this last week for the first time. Real slick! Ya’ll got a great setup there at Antelope!

Hey! I'm glad everything went well for you guys! I'm bummed I couldn't make it down to come run with you guys, hopefully we can link up soon. Antelope isn't too bad of a spot, they have always been good to us!