WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

pool-spa heater / equipment

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Pretty sure it is time to replace my pool heater....and wondering if I should do all equipment at the same time? or just the heater.

currently have a pentair minimax (rest of equipment is pentair) This thing is either original since sometime in the 80's or at least 20yrs old. I've replaced a couple things on it over the last few years to keep it running, but now it is done for / falling apart.

should I stick with pentair? or should I look at other brands?

It needs to be a 400k PROPANE heater.... I would like to be able to control via cell phone if possible, but not necessary (not sure what that all entails)

looking for feedback from people, definitely want something that is very reliable, also efficiency would be nice since we are on propane. Thanks!

Last edited:

azsunfun

Reaction score
depending on codes you may have to upgrade to multi speed pump setup, but well worth the tech ology. and save couple bucks in longrun, brands are like home ac, differant name, same motors. compressors etc

azsunfun

Reaction score
depending on codes you may have to upgrade to multi speed pump setup, but well worth the tech ology. and save couple bucks in longrun, brands are like home ac, differant name, same motors. compressors etc
sorry heater, you can most likely check into running home ac condensor line for free heating in conjunction with solar and pump

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I edited the title to show it is also used for heating the spa... so I can't really just do a solar setup.

azsunfun

Reaction score
I edited the title to show it is also used for heating the spa... so I can't really just do a solar setup.
check into instahot, i cringed with the propane, don't kow how you did it

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Your pentair lasted 20 years?
I would say that's very reliable
I've seen them fail in less than 10 years but most of it is due to poor pool chemistry and not the heater
My pentair is over 20 years old

it had to have been here 10 years before I got the place. And I’ve owned it for 10 more years. I’ve had to replace the manifold and igniters etc, but I guess that’s considered reliable these days?

looking at the new pentair stuff again since it should just bolt up... but just wanted to see if there was anything better I should be considering.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Same issue. 400k BTU Pentair thats 16 years old. Mother board is bad and they want $1200 to fix it so looking into a replacement. Like everything else, I’m not getting a response from the folks I’ve reached out to. Can you tell me what you’ve been quoted for the full replacement?

E3571D14-2B93-40E5-BE68-92394C1618DF.jpeg

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
I stayed pentair. After 21 years Went with the stay rite 400 version. I know nothing about a propane version. Or what needs to be changed or the specifics. Just saying. Pentair treated you right. Why not just update.

Looks like I had the same as rickdarling above. But I think we had our board changed for close to 700. Did it once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Same issue. 400k BTU Pentair thats 16 years old. Mother board is bad and they want $1200 to fix it so looking into a replacement. Like everything else, I’m not getting a response from the folks I’ve reached out to. Can you tell me what you’ve been quoted for the full replacement?

View attachment 1008804

that looks just like my POS lol. But mine is all rotted inside.

I’m assuming there’s currently a price surge or shortage “due to COVID”

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
that looks just like my POS lol. But mine is all rotted inside.

I’m assuming there’s currently a price surge or shortage “due to COVID”

The guy I did talk to, didn’t quote a price to me. Said pool heaters were like gold these days.

84miller

Reaction score
From what I hear, it is pretty long wait to get pool heaters. So start now and see what is available which may limit/direct your choice. Good luck, start now you may have it by fall this year....

charred1

Reaction score
Many pool guys I know recommend Raypak pool heaters.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
If you need a heater your option is what ever you can get a hold of. Pentair heaters are on back order until pretty much end of the year.
No you can not buy a heater for 2400 installed. Not even a year ago. Unless it was a stolen unit.
Having an old pentair mini max versus new master temp does not plumb in direct replacement. No mater what heater you go with it will have to be replumbed.
Raypak / Rheem (same units ), Laars / Jandy (same unit), starite / pentair ( same unit ), Hayward , or lochinvar are your options

EmpirE231

Reaction score
If you need a heater your option is what ever you can get a hold of. Pentair heaters are on back order until pretty much end of the year.
No you can not buy a heater for 2400 installed. Not even a year ago. Unless it was a stolen unit.
Having an old pentair mini max versus new master temp does not plumb in direct replacement. No mater what heater you go with it will have to be replumbed.
Raypak / Rheem (same units ), Laars / Jandy (same unit), starite / pentair ( same unit ), Hayward , or lochinvar are your options

thanks for the feedback. Since it needs plumbing either way... which one of these would you recommend, or are they all the same as far as reliability and efficiency goes? Are any of them more advanced as far as connecting to a cell phone?

CALEXODUS

Reaction score

View attachment 1008804
Same one I have, same “err” code keeps showing up and I clear it by resetting the switch, board maybe going out it seems like ? Mine is original from 04/05, so it has served well so far, came with house when I bought last summer.
Looks liIke I will be doing a preventive replacement sometime in the future along with the pump that was rebuilt but is also original 16/17 years old.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Same one I have, same “err” code keeps showing up and I clear it by resetting the switch, board maybe going out it seems like ? Mine is original from 04/05, so it has served well so far, came with house when I bought last summer.
Looks liIke I will be doing a preventive replacement sometime in the future along with the pump that was rebuilt but is also original 16/17 years old.

Same deal. We finished the pool build mid 2005. Already replaced the pumps, motors and filter. Also replastered about 2 years ago with a pebble tech type finish. The heater is original so I guess I should be happy we got 16 years out of it.

CALEXODUS

Reaction score
Same deal. We finished the pool build mid 2005. Already replaced the pumps, motors and filter. Also replastered about 2 years ago with a pebble tech type finish. The heater is original so I guess I should be happy we got 16 years out of it.
Yes, same here looking at replaster in the next 2 years, big blasters in Havasu does not seem to do pebble tec, so looking down the road at that job.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
I just like to make up stories
I was quoted $2400 installed for a brand new unit from a licensed store
2nd quote was $3000 from another licensed pool store
Maybe you're too expensive?

Didn’t say you were lying. I can’t be “too expensive “ since I never offered to sell a heater.
Stating simple facts , 2400 is less then the heater cost at distributor level in 2020 There is no deeper discounts then I get.
So if any “store” offered that price you should of jumped because someone was quoting wrong price. 3000 installed a year ago was do able. Today no way
Physical cost on any heater currently with tax is 3000 +, heater only no install.

thanks for the feedback. Since it needs plumbing either way... which one of these would you recommend, or are they all the same as far as reliability and efficiency goes? Are any of them more advanced as far as connecting to a cell phone?
There is no heater that connects to phone/ap directly
Must go through remote control system there are budget control systems and higher end ones most start around 2800 range for lower end system and closer to 4000 for higher end system
As far as what heater only one I’m not a fan of is the Hayward. I’ll say there is nothing wrong with unit and they have good tech. How ever Hayward’s typically have multiple control boards and they change every few years. Making it a pain in the ass to track down parts and they’re not cheap to replace.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
2400 all day long even in pasadena and yes they are available there is more then one supply house 3 of my buddies are pool contractors

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
We love our pentair. 400k but and super efficient. We are on Ng but it costs me roughly 40 bucks to bring the pool up 20 degrees.

JSquared

M31
Reaction score
We were looking to upgrade the heater, we have a 1980’s, but the pool guy said we’d have to upsize the gas line, so “f” that. Not tearing up the concrete until I have to.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
2400 all day long even in pasadena and yes they are available there is more then one supply house 3 of my buddies are pool contractors
Lol you may want to call your “buddies” and get current costs. 1) 2400 is below their cost on a pentair master temp propane 2) if that’s their installed price get non installed price on nat gas and I’ll take 10 tomorrow.
PEP, SCP, Superior, PWP, PSOC, United aqua craft, care craft, discount, South Bay all are zero stock.
Please enlighten me with your vast knowledge 😂

boatdoc55

Rest Easy Retired Boat Mechanic 😢🚤
Reaction score
Lol you may want to call your “buddies” and get current costs. 1) 2400 is below their cost on a pentair master temp propane 2) if that’s their installed price get non installed price on nat gas and I’ll take 10 tomorrow.
PEP, SCP, Superior, PWP, PSOC, United aqua craft, care craft, discount, South Bay all are zero stock.
Please enlighten me with your vast knowledge 😂
My best buddy is a client smoosher for a pool builder and he just told me Monday that heaters are nonexistent right now don't even ask how much they are!!! Same with 2" PVC, schedule 80 electrical pipe, travertine, pavers and whatever else it takes to complete a pool. They got a line on two heaters and are sending a driver to Tucson to pick them up.

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
My best buddy is a client smoosher for a pool builder and he just told me Monday that heaters are nonexistent right now don't even ask how much they are!!! Same with 2" PVC, schedule 80 electrical pipe, travertine, pavers and whatever else it takes to complete a pool. They got a line on two heaters and are sending a driver to Tucson to pick them up.
Yep, and pebble shortage, plus increase went into effect yesterday for plaster and Pebble that now puts cost above retail price to the trades. So guys that are back logged will now be paying out of pocket to plaster /pebble Pools.
There’s a big wave coming that will be wiping out many builders across the board that don’t have their shit straight.
Guys that front load contracts and spend spend spend, are fukt if the work gravy train slows for even 1 month. It’s coming sooner then later.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score

Try 3". Schd 40 is $5.60 a ft and schd 80 is $6.50 ish. Bought 700 ft of 40 and 70 ft of 80 about 2 weeks ago. It was hard to find the 700 ft. Lowes had it but I had to drive couple of hours to get.

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. Mine has been on the blink for about 5 years. It still heats up, but cycles off every few minutes and so on. Takes about 2 hours to heat the spa, but I just deal with it for now. It's a pentair bought in 2008. My cousin (here in Riverside) just had a Dad/Son business replace his and his mom's last week. $3100 installed. Not sure if that was a deal because he had two done, but I can get the number if you are in this area.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
You guys talking about this shit are going to jinx my heater dammit!😡 😂

GRADS

Phishing license is paid up to date
Reaction score
You guys talking about this shit are going to jinx my heater dammit!😡 😂
That's what I'm thinking. My heater is a 2000 and it's never even had a hiccup and on average we use it 2-3 times a week. It's now been down 3 months, we'll see what happens next week when I start it up.🤞

EmpirE231

Reaction score
well dudes!!! it must be my lucky day!!!!!

IMG_7532.jpg

picked it up this morning.... my pool guy got a pretty good deal (compared to what prices are being mentioned in here)
also was another guy in the parking lot picking up a hayward... I asked if had to wait etc, he said nope... just had to settle for that one since it was available

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
Brand new in box, rare pool heater... availble today... $7500.... I know what I have, no low ballers. :cool: 🤪
You got lucky because of propane. Not a high demand unit.
So all said and done what did you get the unit for ?

EmpirE231

Reaction score
You got lucky because of propane. Not a high demand unit.
So all said and done what did you get the unit for ?

$2281 so with tax was $2481 to be exact. According to what I saw online, it sounded like my pool guy got me a great deal? I had to pick it up myself at will call, but was only a few miles away in Riverside.

sales guy said some people were buying these and converting them to natural gas due to the shortage. Sounds like it was the only one in the area.

Last edited:

Melloyellovector

Reaction score
$2281 so with tax was $2481 to be exact. According to what I saw online, it sounded like my pool guy got me a great deal? I had to pick it up myself at will call, but was only a few miles away in Riverside.

sales guy said some people were buying these and converting them to natural gas due to the shortage. Sounds like it was the only one in the area.
Like I said 2400 INSTALLED is not current price, lol
And yes, people are getting creative
You for sure got a hook up, that’s distributor cost on the unit. You owe your Poolguy a liquid lunch 🤪

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I’m looking at the NG 400k btu pentair on line right now. I need to do something.

Looks like they are available however best price is falling just shy of $2900 plus tax and shipping. Then likely another 4-500 for install. Total could be approaching $4k.

Absolutely sucks.