WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So how much did this t shirt cost me? DUI checkpoint question

Qwiketz

Reaction score
So yesterday we were on the lake up in Laughlin and they flagged everyone coming off to go through the checkpoint and boater safety check. I wasn’t fall down drunk so was fine for the dui part. Had the kiddo in a vest so he got this t short. Had enough vests, fire extinguisher and everything except the throwable life safety device.
Thought it would be a fine and when I asked how much it was, they said i have to call the court. Can anyone give me the low down on this bs?

70769F90-730A-4535-A6CB-15BF70E32D07.jpeg
8D52FD41-1039-429A-B7BA-64B98DB13EBE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
So yesterday we were on the lake up in Laughlin and they flagged everyone coming off to go through the checkpoint and boater safety check. I wasn’t fall down drunk so was fine for the dui part. Had the kiddo in a vest so he got this t short. Had enough vests, fire extinguisher and everything except the throwable life safety device.
Thought it would be a fine and when I asked how much it was, they said i have to call the court. Can anyone give me the low down on this bs?
Titties and beer approves of this post 👍👌😉

Javajoe

Reaction score
throwable life safety device??? I gotta have one???

Reactions: DWC

LazyLavey

Reaction score
I suppose there's a zero tolerance and everybody gets a cite at Mojave?

I was blessed with a cite several years ago for not having enough life vests. I had 9 high school girls onboard and was 1 vest short.

A friend in another boat was floating literally next to me with spare vests but the youngster ranger wouldn't let him give one to me to meet my requirements.

Even after identifying myself, showing my current registration and ID, everything in order, he insisted on running my registration via his radio which was not transmitting or receiving properly which took about 20 minutes .... and gave me that "reminder"

not that I expected a break due to my status.... well, frankly I did...lol

Echo Lodge

Reaction score
20210603_131431.jpg

It was a long time ago as these kids are in their 20's now but I got pulled over for having a faded orange flag when I was skiing. No cite and kids got some SO swag.

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Seen them flagging people over randomly on memorial. Doing checks even though people weren’t doing any thing wrong. Make sure you have your ducks in a row.

DWC

Reaction score
Got pulled over at one of the Topock checkpoints 7-8 years ago. Didn’t have a throwable. I knew it as soon as they pulled us over. He had me check a couple times while i was saying i didn’t have it and I’ll grab one as soon as we pull off. Officer went to shore threw us one and said have a nice day.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
we were out since Thursday and I didn't see one cop on water anywhere. I mentioned it to a buddy of mine and jinxed my ass.

They literally had every cop on the water in the whole state there on Saturday. There were probably about 40 of them there. I officer that I was initially dealing with was from the Yuma squad. They were working about 10 docks and they were about full constantly as people came in to dock or load. They had about 6 guys on sea doos flagging us in and corralling people into spots.

Yes, there was some silver lining there. I have a 6 month old and the vest we "had" for him probably went down to his knees so I don't know what protocol on that was/is and I still don't. That was kind of a monkey in the room if anything. I wasn't drinking so there's that too.

I'm very curious how other people fared. We had our stuff pretty much together, were dead sober and only had 4 of us on a 25' boat. I'm curious how the 18' bayliner with about 14 adults and kids fared. They were pulling in after us. Or, the pontoon boaters that were really getting after it next to us that decided that playing and yelling 2 Live Crew "we want some p........" in front of a bunch of kids was a great idea.

I absolutely wasn't the only one. Well, maybe I'll say $50 for the shirt and $75 for the throwable device?! They did give me one of those which actually fit nice under the captains chair.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Should showed him a seat cushion- could of worked

quite honestly, I was thinkng the same thing this morning. Anyone know if that would work?

I thought it would be a simple ticket and thought "f it, it's hot and I want to get back to the house". Not to sound like a complete douche but I thought they have me and just tell me where to mail the check.

Qwiketz

Reaction score
Seen them flagging people over randomly on memorial. Doing checks even though people weren’t doing any thing wrong. Make sure you have your ducks in a row.

yup, they were pulling over everyone for this one. I wasn't too high exposure with a 6 year old and a 6 month old on board. But, I think I've seen them do that on the river a few weeks ago. I couldn't figure out what the person had even done to get stopped.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Here in SD. The Coast Guard Auxiliary will do a free inspection on your boat before you launch. And if all passes good, they put a sticker on you windshield showing you passed. Keeps ya from getting the inspection on the water, and possibly ticketed. That’s the way to properly educate the public.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I suppose there's a zero tolerance and everybody gets a cite at Mojave?

I was blessed with a cite several years ago for not having enough life vests. I had 9 high school girls onboard and was 1 vest short.

A friend in another boat was floating literally next to me with spare vests but the youngster ranger wouldn't let him give one to me to meet my requirements.

Even after identifying myself, showing my current registration and ID, everything in order, he insisted on running my registration via his radio which was not transmitting or receiving properly which took about 20 minutes .... and gave me that "reminder"

not that I expected a break due to my status.... well, frankly I did...lol
Thats cause you had 9 teenaged girls onboard

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
Here in SD. The Coast Guard Auxiliary will do a free inspection on your boat before you launch. And if all passes good, they put a sticker on you windshield showing you passed. Keeps ya from getting the inspection on the water, and possibly ticketed. That’s the way to properly educate the public.
I will bet you , if you point to your “Sticker “ as the LEO on the jet skis are screaming at you to pull into their “ contact “ area , it won’t mean shit !

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I will bet you , if you point to your “Sticker “ as the LEO on the jet skis are screaming at you to pull into their “ contact “ area , it won’t mean shit !

Well, I can only say, it worked as planned on San Diego bay on a big holiday weekend. PD lit us up. I pointed out the sticker, and they gave me a wave. That’s all I got.

grumpy88

Reaction score
I never knew a citation worked in place of a safety device . Next time i see somebody in trouble i will throw my credit card to them instead of a actual safety device. Seams very negligent to let a boat continue to operate knowing they do not posses the proper safety equipment . Thats why i think its only about the money !

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I could be mistaken here but if my understanding of it is correct participation in one of these dui/oui check points is completely voluntary..

They are “asking” you to come in and get checked out..

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be nice if the drunks weren’t out...and the law wasn’t harassing your fam with checkpoints? That still exists in our nation...FOR NOW. CA is blazing that shit trail.

hallett21

Reaction score
I could be mistaken here but if my understanding of it is correct participation in one of these dui/oui check points is completely voluntary..

That was my understanding. However when they approach they don’t make it voluntary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MK1MOD0

Reaction score

Not so sure on that. Unlike cars, police can search any vessel at any time for any reason. So I’m guessing, you have no choice. Maritime law and whatnot.

Qwiketz

Reaction score

It really didn't seem like I had a choice. Literally, it was every boat or pwc coming off the lake. I didn't see anyone not get pointed and yelled at to the check point. They had two officers on seadoos in the main channel at Katheryn's as you approach the ramp/short term docks.

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
Got sited a few years back on Mead because my Daughter’s vest was slightly loose. This was after all of our safety gear was examined and the exhaust noise was metered. He had us dock and pull everything out. Literally a 15 minute examination. Guy said he never lets anyone go without a ticket. Total ass.

LazyLavey

Reaction score
Got sited a few years back on Mead because my Daughter’s vest was slightly loose. This was after all of our safety gear was examined and the exhaust noise was metered. He had us dock and pull everything out. Literally a 15 minute examination. Guy said he never lets anyone go without a ticket. Total ass.
Drunk with power

BoatCop

Retired And Loving It.
Reaction score

AZ Boating Rules:

R12-4-528. Watercraft Checkpoints
A. A law enforcement agency may establish a watercraft checkpoint to ensure public safety on state waterways, to screen
for unsafe or impaired watercraft operators, or to gather demographic, statistical, and compliance information related to
watercraft activities.

B. An individual may be required to perform the following during a watercraft stop or at a watercraft checkpoint:

1. Stop or halt as directed when being hailed by a peace officer or entering the established checkpoint boundary as
prescribed under A.R.S. § 5-391, and

2. Provide evidence of required safety equipment and registration documentation prescribed under A.R.S. Title 5,
Chapter 3, Boating and Water Sports.

C. This Section does not limit any state peace officer’s authority to conduct routine watercraft patrol efforts prescribed
under A.R.S. Title 5, Chapter 3, Boating and Water Sports.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
AZ Boating Rules:

R12-4-528. Watercraft Checkpoints
A. A law enforcement agency may establish a watercraft checkpoint to ensure public safety on state waterways, to screen
for unsafe or impaired watercraft operators, or to gather demographic, statistical, and compliance information related to
watercraft activities.

B. An individual may be required to perform the following during a watercraft stop or at a watercraft checkpoint:

1. Stop or halt as directed when being hailed by a peace officer or entering the established checkpoint boundary as
prescribed under A.R.S. § 5-391, and

2. Provide evidence of required safety equipment and registration documentation prescribed under A.R.S. Title 5,
Chapter 3, Boating and Water Sports.

C. This Section does not limit any state peace officer’s authority to conduct routine watercraft patrol efforts prescribed
under A.R.S. Title 5, Chapter 3, Boating and Water Sports.

I googled this

A.R.S. § 5-391

didn’t come up with much..

The person that told me they were voluntary actually is a higher up at AZGF... 😳

RichL

Reaction score
The discussion was in regards to a requirement for a throwable cushion or other device in the event of an emergency. Here, there is also the requirement it be tied for retrieval. I use an old floating ski tow rope tied to a cushion to satisfy the requirements.

Javajoe

Reaction score
The discussion was in regards to a requirement for a throwable cushion or other device in the event of an emergency. Here, there is also the requirement it be tied for retrieval. I use an old floating ski tow rope tied to a cushion to satisfy the requirements.
When you say HERE...Do you mean AZ?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Also know that throwable cushion needs to be readily accessible. It can't be buried at the back of your storage under all the other junk. It needs to be essentially at the ready to use.

Nordic29

Reaction score

The difference is, these checkpoints aren’t actually looking for safety violations or they’d do the checkpoints before you spend the day on the water. They’re looking for OUI’s and settle for safety violations.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
1 MILLION dollars!!!!

Tell me this...do I need these items when we rent a barge in the channel? :looking:

Reactions: DWC

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
The difference is, these checkpoints aren’t actually looking for safety violations or they’d do the checkpoints before you spend the day on the water. They’re looking for OUI’s and settle for safety violations.

Yea. That was my whole point of posting. If it was really about safety and education, it would be done on the way out.